• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Jawmuncher

A lot of riding on monste hunter now and I honestly don’t see it being that big of a hit. And least not in the way they think. Will probably sell as much as the 3DS titles did here and less than them in Japan. When you factor in those numbers with an obviously higher budget. They won’t be netting as much profit. Which has been the series forte since psp.

Wasn't Capcom expecting this to sell 2 million by the end of March? Lol that's not happening. XB1 version didn't even chart. It would have to be carried almost solely by the US.

MHW will probably do fine (will still be below Capcom's expections) but damn, what will they even have for the next FY? REmake 2 and DMC5 maybe? It will probably be the first time in years where they won't have Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, or a new Resident Evil to fall back on, and apparently even those aren't guarantees anymore.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A lot of riding on monste hunter now and I honestly don’t see it being that big of a hit. And least not in the way they think. Will probably sell as much as the 3DS titles did here and less than them in Japan. When you factor in those numbers with an obviously higher budget. They won’t be netting as much profit. Which has been the series forte since psp.
Capcom'a future profitability just seems to be tanking at the most. I'm not even sure why any investor would want to bother with it.

Sponge

Banned
I remember when someone working on MvCI laughed at the idea of a Switch version.

Wonder how much a port of that game would helped sales.

Rehashing 90% of last games roster is the bigger issue to me. That goes especially for Caocoms side. I have no fucking idea why Spencer us in this game. Was a neat addition when Bionic Commando regained some relevance but could now have been replaced with something new and interesting.

Nemesis as well.
Nemesis is an amazing classic RE monster but dude was from RE3 in 1999.
He is not only tired but has no personality or anything, just a terrible choice as a base character in a crossover fighting game(especially with a limited roster).

I'm down on stupid ass Capcom and their stupid ass decisions lately just as much as anyone, but really what more could be expected? They released a Marvel vs game without Wolverine.

They honestly expected that shit to fly? LOL.

Disney completely handcuffed them. So much fail from everyone. Game got what it deserved.

Not all that surprised at the MVCI bomb. Sucks for Capcom though. It will probably be on sale in a few weeks so I might pick it up then depending on the price.

I refuse to pay $60 for it.

Xater

Nemesis as well.
Nemesis is an amazing classic RE monster but dude was from RE3 in 1999.
He is not only tired but has no personality or anything, just a terrible choice as a base characters in a crossover fighting game.

Or not current Chris. The roster is just baffling. Monster Hunter should have been part of the base game for sure. She is new and even represents current Capcom.

dan2026

No X-men
No Fantastic 4 characters.
90% of the rest of the roster is copy pasted from mvc3
Graphics are mediocre at best
Modes are half aseed.

This was doomed to fail from the start.
Marvel AND Capcom bungled it.

jett

D-Member
I honestly don't see how someone can even subjectively think MvC:I looks better than Injustice 2.

Because it's the ugliest game of all-time amirite.

ToMJwKx.jpg

TGKbddK.jpg

5cdt9eq.jpg

n3HPIlu.jpg

0HxNkes.jpg

j24fv36.jpg

chdE90y.jpg

Sponge

Banned
No X-men
No Fantastic 4 characters.
90% of the rest of the roster is copy pasted from mvc3
Graphics are mediocre at best
Modes are half aseed.

This was doomed to fail from the start.
Marvel AND Capcom bungled it.

Plus they laughed off the idea of a Switch version when MvC3 had a Vita port for goodness sake.

I'm shocked at Project Cars 2 70% drop from the first game :O

Maybe it was suicidal launch time frame with Forza 7+ GT Sport literally around the corner.
Seeing as it's mostly a PC game, maybe sales there are all good there.

Or not current Chris.
Im happy with Chris but at the very least change him to an RE1, Rev1, Vendetta or RE6 version(meaning change the weapons he uses from RE5's as well).

Personally he feels better than MvC3 but he looks like a straight copy paste(that graphically looked worse at first)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, how much has For Honor sold at this point?
Well, it still seemed to be around the #3 game of 2017 prior to Destiny, so that should have slotted it at 5+ million.

It's a good question if it or Mortal Kombat X is higher. For Honor did have an absurdist 52%+ digital ratio in its NPD, so it's really hard to track how much past 5 million it might have went, or MK's legs after the first year.

Blueblur1

Cherry-picked screenshots, Jett.

X has dead eyes. Lots of characters look like featureless ghouls (Hawkeye, Dante) and some animations are awful (Ghost Rider’s level 3). The stages are also bland as fuck; the game has 3 stages that are just hallways for Christ’s sake!

Indelible

MVC:I looks and feels like a budget title but I'am sure Capcom spent alot of money to produce it. It is pointless to me without the X-Men characters.

Gartooth

UMvC3 was one of my favorite fighting games of last gen, and I feel absolutely no draw to buy this as a casual fan of the series. I'll reconsider when its 20 dollars and can subsidize the DLC who should've been in the main game.

Marvel should just approach WB/NetherRealm at this point for a DC vs. Marvel crossover and watch the money flow in.

blakep267

Marvel should just approach WB/NetherRealm at this point for a DC vs. Marvel crossover and watch the money flow in.
I don't even think it needs to be a crossover. Just make a proper marvel game with injustice quality. But I can't see either party doing that

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It was kind of weird to me that they didn't just hire someone like a random publisher and Iron Galaxy to make an accessible, Marvel only fighting game for consoles, since like... Capcom isn't really a good selling product until these days.

I guess they might have approved this game before Street Fighter V tanked.

Rehashing 90% of last games roster is the bigger issue to me. That goes especially for Caocoms side. I have no fucking idea why Spencer us in this game. Was a neat addition when Bionic Commando regained some relevance but could now have been replaced with something new and interesting.
Spencer is in because he was a well liked (and memed) character from MVC3

Which is not something I can say about Firebrand, Nemesis and Arthur.

Floody

Capcom just have no luck. Crazy how their fighting games seem to struggle the most nowadays. It's mostly their fault, but still kinda blows my mind how quickly they fell from SF4 dominating.

30% Digital is well above average in the UK isn't it? Not surprised a good chunk of D2 sales are digital even here, but also not surprised it's not enough to make up for the down physical sales either.

Plasma

Banned
I'm not shocked I haven't picked it up yet and I'll usually buy any old shit. Graphics look rough, the roster is just bad and the last time they put out one of these games they put out the ultimate version in the same year. I'll wait for that and see if it gets any better.

Liamario

Banned
The issue for me in relation to MVC is the DLC. nowhere near enough characters and far too much reliance on DLC. The story demo was absolutely appalling for 2017. Can't say I'm surprised by this outcome.

Capcom just have no luck. Crazy how their fighting games seem to struggle the most nowadays. It's mostly their fault, but still kinda blows my mind how quickly they fell from SF4 dominating.

30% Digital is well above average in the UK isn't it? Not surprised a good chunk of D2 sales are digital even here, but also not surprised it's not enough to make up for the down physical sales either.

I dont know the figures but 30% seems a lot with our rip off digital pricing here

REV 09

The roster is ass

The visuals are ass

The marketing was ass

Don't know what Marvel/Capcom/Disney were thinking.
I didn’t buy it because the roster is almost a complete rehash of mvc3 but worse. And the visuals are worse than the mvc3 hd release. It just seems like a worse game than the one that we already have.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It was kind of weird to me that they didn't just hire someone like a random publisher and Iron Galaxy to make an accessible, Marvel only fighting game for consoles, since like... Capcom isn't really a good selling product until these days.

I guess they might have approved this game before Street Fighter V ranked.
I mean the conceptually it made sense. MvC was already very popular so rather making a new game that simultaneous has to compete with that legacy and stand on it's own two feet may been difficult.

The issue is Capcom is incredible incompetent at selling games in a genre they''ve defined for 20 years.

If MVC looked good played well had an appealing roster and story content it could have done decently enough. It just wasn't a lot of those things.

Synth

Because it's the ugliest game of all-time amirite.

Not the ugliest game of all time no. It makes a strong case for ugliest fighter of this generation though (edging out launch KoFXIV).

Meanwhile Injustice makes a decent argument for itself as the best looking (along with Guilty Gear and Dragonball).

I wouldn't even put MvC:I over MvC3 visually.

Gestault

There are probably more pronounced market trends that explain it, but man, after the shit-show that was the console versions (plural) of the original Project Cars, and knowing now that the console versions (plural) of Project Cars 2 have their own serious problems, I'm really "glad" to see fewer people buying it up front.

Dre3001

Is Capcom hurting for money? MvCI just seems like it was poorly put together and the entire budget was spent on the story mode.

Absolute shame to see where Capcom once was to how they treat their fighting game franchises now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean the conceptually it made sense. MvC was already very popular so rather making a new game that simultaneous has to compete with that legacy and stand on it's own two feet may been difficult.

The issue is Capcom is incredible incompetent at selling games in a genre they''ve defined for 20 years.

If MVC looked good played well had an appealing roster and story content it could have done decently enough. It just wasn't a lot of those things.
Disney didn't go back to Activision for Spider-Man though despite their prior success.

They went and found a developer who was doing a good job because Activision did t have an amazing record lately.

Top Bottom