• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not totally sure where to look but how do I check I'm eligible to vote in the mayoral elections?

Annoyingly, you have to visit your local council office and ask to talk to the electoral registration department, afaik. I don't think there is an online service yet.

TeddyBoy

Annoyingly, you have to visit your local council office and ask to talk to the electoral registration department, afaik. I don't think there is an online service yet.

Thanks Crab, my dad's found the forms now so I am eligible to vote (not like it'll matter, Labour will win Liverpool easily).

CTLance

Thanks Crab, my dad's found the forms now so I am eligible to vote (not like it'll matter, Labour will win Liverpool easily).
Eeeeeh, I dunno. After Trump got to power and Brexit happened on thin margins, "not like it'll matter" has been struck from my personal voting vocabulary. Dunno about you, but I will vote whenever I can, come snow- or thunderstorm, and regardless of the expected outcome. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway: Congrats on being eligible to vote. :D

TeddyBoy

Eeeeeh, I dunno. After Trump got to power and Brexit happened on thin margins, "not like it'll matter" has been struck from my personal voting vocabulary. Dunno about you, but I will vote whenever I can, come snow- or thunderstorm, and regardless of the expected outcome. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway: Congrats on being eligible to vote. :D

Oh I'm going to vote anyway, but I'm voting Lib Dems since it'll send a tiny political message about my pro-EU stance.

Haha thanks, I remember there was a little annoyance that the mayor of Liverpool can decide things for St. Helens now since we like to think of ourselves as separate to both Liverpool and Manchester. I suppose it's a downside to being such a safe seat for Labour, Conservatives don't invest anything as they'll never overturn the majority and Labour don't invest anything as they'll never lose the majority, so overall St Helens stays underdeveloped in perpetuity.

Beefy

1.jpg

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/0...&utm_content=TwitterMB&utm_campaign=PNTwitter

Fuck UKIP and fuck Nigel Pearson

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The most interesting part of that graph is actually the part about Liberal Democrat Leavers, and explains why the Liberal Democrat recovery isn't happening. 32% of Liberal Democrats in 2015 voted to Leave the European Union. They are very much discontented with the current Liberal Democrat stance, and seem to be moving towards the Conservatives at roughly the same rate that the Liberal Democrats pick up those fleeing Labour. The net result is that Labour goes down, the Conservatives go up, and the Liberal Democrats stay static.

But worse than that, it actually means that the composition of the Liberal Democrats is changing. There used to be a lot of Liberals with the capital L in the party, especially in the South of England. It's a dying political identity these days, but we're talking Gladstone style liberal - free market, but in the real sense and quite strongly antithetical to consolidated authority like big government and big corporations, the latter of which the Conservatives are quite happy to tolerate. This group largely voted to Leave (see also: the remnant Liberal party); and they're the ones leaving.

That means the Liberal Democrats are actually moving away from the Liberal part of their party and turning into the Social Democratic part of their party, which exacerbates the voter conflict between the Liberal Democrats and Labour while also reducing the threat the Liberal Democrats pose to the Conservatives. So even if the Liberal Democrats do begin to pick up, it will be more from Labour than the Conservatives - which isn't good for either party!

We really are doing the '80s again.

Not only all that, but their messaging on the EU is barely getting through according to the data. So they're heaping all their eggs into a pro-EU basket and a lot of people don't even realise it (or know who Farron is). Partly this is due to us being in the middle of a parliamentary cycle where the smaller parties tend to get a bit ignored, but still, it's not good.

#PrayForHuw

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not only all that, but their messaging on the EU is barely getting through according to the data. So they're heaping all their eggs into a pro-EU basket and a lot of people don't even realise it (or know who Farron is). Partly this is due to us being in the middle of a parliamentary cycle where the smaller parties tend to get a bit ignored, but still, it's not good.

#PrayForHuw

Yeah, Farron is proving deeply ineffectual. His top five ratings qualities are: boring, unconvincing, buffoon, weak and irrelevant. He doesn't have a single positive one in there (although I'm impressed he got buffoon, that's remarkably specific)! Even worse, positive opinion of Tim Farron is most strongly correlated with positive opinion of... Owen Smith! Which I think illustrates the point above again. The Lib Dem right are fleeing to the Conservatives, the Labour right are fleeing to the Lib Dems, and nobody's fleeing to Labour so the whole system is just slumping.

It's problem number 356131 for Labour - even after Corbyn goes, even after they refix their brand image, even after they manage to get party unity, even after they bring the membership back on board, even after they repair their finances, even after they improve their financial imaging, they'd still have to have a quiet word with the Liberal Democrats to get anywhere.

EDIT:

7-Leader-performance-small-768x701.jpg

I mean, Farron is now doing worse than Corbyn. :x

Yeah, Farron is proving deeply ineffectual. His top five ratings qualities are: boring, unconvincing, buffoon, weak and irrelevant. He doesn't have a single positive one in there (although I'm impressed he got buffoon, that's remarkably specific)! Even worse, positive opinion of Tim Farron is most strongly correlated with positive opinion of... Owen Smith! Which I think illustrates the point above again. The Lib Dem right are fleeing to the Conservatives, the Labour right are fleeing to the Lib Dems, and nobody's fleeing to Labour so the whole system is just slumping.

It's problem number 356131 for Labour - even after Corbyn goes, even after they refix their brand image, even after they manage to get party unity, even after they bring the membership back on board, even after they repair their finances, even after they improve their financial imaging, they'd still have to have a quiet word with the Liberal Democrats to get anywhere.

Trying to take Boris' crown huh? You come at the king, you best not miss.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Nuttall, the most anti-establishment force in the world.

Should probably copyright that title, he'd probably steal it.

He already copyrighted that in '66, when he took down the West German establishment in the World Cup.

Uzzy

I saw that Corbyn today announced (well, reannounced) that the minimum wage would rise to £10 an hour within months if Labour win the next election. Seems obvious to focus on simple policies like that and the free school meals from last week, it might even help downplay differences over Syria.

Except for viewers in Scotland.

C9EE6NtXcAA4Zl4.jpg

Kind of puzzled at the whole of the UK thinking Ruth Davidson is doing a good job, how much exposure does she get in the rest of the country?

Enough that she comes off as defiant and critical of Sturgeon/the SNP, while not enough to see her own flaws. English outlets love her as a means of bludgeoning Sturgeon's standing.

kmag

Enough that she comes off as defiant and critical of Sturgeon/the SNP, while not enough to see her own flaws. English outlets love her as a means of bludgeoning Sturgeon's standing.

To be fair Davidson has been pretty popular in Scotland as well. She's just misjudged the mood at the moment. While people are against a 2nd referendum, they strongly dislike the notion that the Scottish Parliament be dictated to by May. Davidson's position on Brexit has been the most laughably transparent case of branch officeness in a while. Davidson's position has wildly swung from pro single market/custom union to hardline Brexiteer based on May's positioning. It's extremely jarring, and undermines any position Davidson takes on pretty much any subject. Why listen to what Davidson has to say when what she will say will be subsequently changed to reflect May's own positioning?

Her disappearing act over the Child Benefit rape form hasn't helped either. Ultimately there's only so far SNP bad is going to take the Tories in Scotland.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Except for viewers in Scotland.

C9EE6NtXcAA4Zl4.jpg

Kind of puzzled at the whole of the UK thinking Ruth Davidson is doing a good job, how much exposure does she get in the rest of the country?

They don't? Ruth Davidson is at 38 out of 100 in the first one, and -21% away from the median point in the second one, which is... 39 out of 100. So she has about the same perception of ability in both Scotland and England & Wales. The difference is not Ruth Davison, it's May and Sturgeon.

kmag

Poor Kezia. I quite like her, dunno why she's so hated.

She's in a worse position than even Davidson who can at least check with the head office what the policy currently is. Dugsdale has a poor starting position (she's frankly not that bright) and no support/frequent interference from the head office who simply don't trust her because she's not from Corbyn's wing of the party.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
She's in a worse position than even Davidson who can at least check with the head office what the policy currently is. Dugsdale has a poor starting position (she's frankly not that bright) and no support/frequent interference from the head office who simply don't trust her because she's not from Corbyn's wing of the party.

Head office don't interfere with Kezia at all - she's basically left to her own devices. They do release conflicting statements, but that's because they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. I can guarantee you that there is basically no instruction coming through from Corbyn to Kezia, precisely because they're from different wings so Kezia wouldn't listen and Corbyn doesn't have the authority anyway. Scottish Labour are their own thing at this point, perhaps for the first time ever. Might prove healthy for them in the long run, but Kezia is pretty terrible in her own right so perhaps not until a change of leadership.

Mr. Sam

There are experienced, competent and charismatic politicians within the Labour party who'd qualify as new blood without being the next Corbyn. Unfortunately, the road back to power has never looked longer.

MEPs will save us. Our current crop of MPs is wondrously poor it seems - perhaps those returning from Brussels will bring fresh ideas, more Europhilia (even to the Conservatives), and just be more competent in general. Nick Clegg carved his teeth in the European Parliament - if there's anyone in Labour or the Lib Dems as charismatic as he is, then maybe it won't be so long.

MEPs will save us. Our current crop of MPs is wondrously poor it seems - perhaps those returning from Brussels will bring fresh ideas, more Europhilia (even to the Conservatives), and just be more competent in general. Nick Clegg carved his teeth in the European Parliament - if there's anyone in Labour or the Lib Dems as charismatic as he is, then maybe it won't be so long.

I don't think there's some great untapped source of talent returning from the European Parliament. Of the 73 UK MEPs, 24 are UKIP...

As far as "the next Nick Clegg" goes, the Lib Dems have one MEP. So you'd better hope it's that guy / girl.

Mr. Sam

MEPs, with some rare exceptions, aren't really equipped for serious politics. Farage is the most charismatic one there is and he was just there to be a professional knobhead.

I don't think there's some great untapped source of talent returning from the European Parliament. Of the 73 UK MEPs, 24 are UKIP...

As far as "the next Nick Clegg" goes, the Lib Dems have one MEP. So you'd better hope it's that guy / girl.

MEPs, with some rare exceptions, aren't really equipped for serious politics. Farage is the most charismatic one there is and he was just there to be a professional knobhead.

Afzal Khan seems pretty competent - remains to be seen whether he'll win the Gorton seat, though.

Uzzy

UK will never build enough houses to keep prices down.

Britain will never build enough houses to make property affordable for young people, according to research.

A study presented to the Royal Economic Society's annual conference said those hoping to get on the ladder may have to rely on windows of opportunity created by periodic slumps in the market.

However, the overall trend will remain for residential property price rises to outpace salary growth, according to economists at the University of Reading.

”Although higher levels of house building are certainly desirable, the paper shows that there is a limit to what can be achieved by this route," the report found.

”The required increase in supply to stabilise the price to income ratio ... is not feasible - permanent increases in construction would be required that have never been achieved in history."

Well that's just great. Maybe it's time the government and political parties looked at ways to improve the situation for tenants, rather than peddle this myth of home ownership.

Mr. Sam

Accelerating house building and improving conditions for tenants aren't mutually exclusive. Of course, I expect the Tories to make a half-hearted attempt at the former and stare at a wall on the latter.

Maledict

It's not immigration that's the reason me and my other half can't buy a house anywhere in London on a combined £130k salary.

Similarily, there's an over supply of housing in many areas - look at property prices in Preston in lancashire. Not surprisingly, it's often places that have decent housing stock that have had a high increase in immigration over the last decade.

Attempting to blame the housing crisis on immigration is ignoring the facts. Our issue is we don't have enough housing in certain areas, not that lots of people from Europe have moved here.

It's not immigration that's the reason me and my other half can't buy a house anywhere in London on a combined £130k salary.

Similarily, there's an over supply of housing in many areas - look at property prices in Preston in lancashire. Not surprisingly, it's often places that have decent housing stock that have had a high increase in immigration over the last decade.

Attempting to blame the housing crisis on immigration is ignoring the facts. Our issue is we don't have enough housing in certain areas, not that lots of people from Europe have moved here.

I'm not attempting to blame anything on anything! I just asked if slowing or stopping population growth would help. Despite two replies noone really seems interested in answering my question, but rather leaping at shadows.

I'm all too aware of property prices in Preston funnily enough. I've got a bunch of mates there and we're all at the age where we're buying houses (five of us in the last year). It does pain me to see that they get a house twice as big for half as much as I can get down here in Bristol :-(

I'm putting my money on this. May's not going to get a safer opportunity than right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom