• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

It might just be the way you are writing things, butt your posts come across in exactly the same way the gamergate false flag posts do - 'I'm just asking questions, maybe immigration is the real problem!'. Apologies for misreading the tone if that's not the case.

And yeah, election would make sense, although the timing will be odd as we're so used to May elections now. Although I think it could be on May 30th if she announces today with the 6 week time limit?

kmag

I'm not attempting to blame anything on anything! I just asked if slowing or stopping population growth would help. Despite two replies noone really seems interested in answering my question, but rather leaping at shadows.

I'm all too aware of property prices in Preston funnily enough. I've got a bunch of mates there and we're all at the age where we're buying houses (five of us in the last year). It does pain me to see that they get a house twice as big for half as much as I can get down here in Bristol :-(

I'm putting my money on this. May's not going to get a safer opportunity than right now.

In answer to your question. It would probably reduce prices in some areas (probably not uniformely) but would also cause massive economic problems. Our current economic growth is pretty much predicated on the current levels of population expansion, if you remove that before the baby boomers are all gone, you're left with an extremely old population with massive social entitlements and a receding economic base with which to fund those entitlements. See Japan but without the productivity.

Longer term as part of a gradual process (I'm talking multiple decades) then sure you could manage to reform the economy around a static population.

mo60

It might just be the way you are writing things, butt your posts come across in exactly the same way the gamergate false flag posts do - 'I'm just asking questions, maybe immigration is the real problem!'. Apologies for misreading the tone if that's not the case.

And yeah, election would make sense, although the timing will be odd as we're so used to May elections now. Although I think it could be on May 30th if she announces today with the 6 week time limit?

Six weeks to prepare for an election and campaign?

Don't think she will set an election for May if she does it. Probably somewhere between June-September is likely, but I think she will set an election before the german parliamentary elections if she does that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So are we going with:

Snap election (wouldn't be that snap, you'd have to push the FPTA repeal through the Lords which could take a while if they got arsey)

War (with who?)

Resignation (but why?)

Brexit got cancelled (a man can dream)

Uzzy

Finally, war with Spain. I'm going to join the Navy and make my fortune raiding the Spanish treasure fleet.

Might just be able to buy a house then too.

mo60

So are we going with:

Snap election (wouldn't be that snap, you'd have to push the FPTA repeal through the Lords which could take a while if they got arsey)

War (with who?)

Resignation (but why?)

Snap election may not be likely if she has to worry about the FTPA repeal.She won't resign probably and brexit won't be canceled.War is not likely at this point. It could easily be an update on the brexit situation, something foreign policy related not connected to war or a new policy annoucement.It could be a personal annoucement to.

kmag

So are we going with:

War (with who?)

Resignation (but why?)

Some rumours seem to be popping up about May's health. She's a type 1 diabetic, and sadly liver and arterial issues are extremely common in type 1 diabetics over 60.

I'd say the announcement is much to do about nothing, but it's extremely rare for a short notice announcement from Downing Street. Lizzie or Phil popped their clogs?

So are we going with:

War (with who?)

Resignation (but why?)

I'm currently leaning towards for snap election or resignation (health?).

Thing I'm not sure of with snap is why she'd announce it in this way if it takes so much process to happen. Unless she's doing it to make a point that it needs to happen.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Speculating about health is always a weird one.

I'm going with election - we need to show the EU that the government's position is strong and supported*.

*not sure on the negotiation logic but good for personal politics

I'm a simple guy, so you can safely take anything I say on here at face value :p

I wasn't trying to tease a "yes" out of someone just so that I could go "Aha! Immigants, I knew it was them". I just was hoping for a bit of discussion and to maybe learn something.

In answer to your question. It would probably reduce prices in some areas (probably not uniformely) but would also cause massive economic problems. Our current economic growth is pretty much predicated on the current levels of population expansion, if you remove that before the baby boomers are all gone, you're left with an extremely old population with massive social entitlements and a receding economic base with which to fund those entitlements. See Japan but without the productivity.

Longer term as part of a gradual process (I'm talking multiple decades) then sure you could manage to reform the economy around a static population.

Yeah, the Japan thread is what I was thinking of really - I posted in that one too. Everyone was talking like it was the worst thing ever when I was thinking hey maybe some good things can come from this. I always think of these things as if we were talking about Pitcairn or something. The popultation going down by a third wouldn't be the end of the world there, everyone would have more space, fewer people would have to share the same number of fish, etc. etc.

I'm sure there's a reason those things don't scale up to major economies, but the "why" of that is what I find interesting, and what I want to know!

I do understand that capitalism has like a built in requirement for endless growth, but there's different "types" of capitalism, right? Or we could move to another economic system altogether, these things aren't set in stone.

Speculating about health is always a weird one.

I'm going with election - we need to show the EU that the government's position is strong and supported*.

*not sure on the negotiation logic but good for personal politics

Implying they know the united will of the people blather was just blather. Not a great loss to them i guess.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Some rumours seem to be popping up about May's health. She's a type 1 diabetic, and sadly liver and arterial issues are extremely common in type 1 diabetics over 60.

I'd say the announcement is much to do about nothing, but it's extremely rare for a short notice announcement from Downing Street. Lizzie or Phil popped their clogs?

The Prime Minister doesn't announce the Queen's death; that's a matter for Buckingham Palace (at least that's the established precedent).

Hazzuh

Announcing direct rule in NI is a possibility. Negotiations were supposed to continue today iirc but they certainly could have collapsed.

kmag

The Prime Minister doesn't announce the Queen's death; that's a matter for Buckingham Palace (at least that's the established precedent).

Maybe Buckingham Palace announce at 11. And May does the stability conference at 11.15?

I'm spitballing. It's probably a snap election or resignation.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Announcing direct rule in NI is a possibility. Negotiations were supposed to continue today iirc but they certainly could have collapsed.

Meaning absolutely no offence to the land of my grandfather, but... would that really merit an urgent statement? Nobody who isn't Nirish cares about Nireland.

sammex

I'm sceptical about a snap election. Although it would increase the Tory majority at the moment, provide a mandate for hard brexit, etc it would possibly lead to Labour finally managing to get rid of Corbyn and in the long term the Conservatives would be better off if he stuck around until 2020.

Saying that, he'd probably refuse to resign so maybe they can get the best of both worlds.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Corbyn would absolutely refuse to resign until either the 5% nomination amendment passes or the Labour soft-left guarantee they will lend nominations to a successor candidate. The Labour Party is in gridlock until that happens (or Corbyn dies, if we want to be morbid, or if the Labour Party just outright splits).

Protome

Meaning absolutely no offence to the land of my grandfather, but... would that really merit an urgent statement? Nobody who isn't Nirish cares about Nireland.

May especially doesn't care about Nireland (or any part of the UK that isn't England.) Someone else would make that announcement.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Odds are sky-rocketing on May's resignation as of the last two-three minutes. Something leaked?

kmag

Odds are sky-rocketing on May's resignation as of the last two-three minutes. Something leaked?

It's definitely party political judging by the lectern. Would a call for an election be classed as party political? Pre FTPA obviously not, but post that there's some debate because it's no longer the PM's call.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Looks like they lost money 'cause the Beeb is saying general election, June 8th.

*Splinter

So are we going with:

War (with who?)

Resignation (but why?)

Now now, whatever it is it's a safe bet we'll all end up feeling disappointed by it.

Razzer

Well I was planning on spending May/June relaxing after finishing my final uni assignments. Guess I gotta go home and volunteer now, the price of living in a swing seat.

CCS

Banned
Think I may as well vote Lib Dems, live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country so I may as well send a message that I approve of their anti-Brexit stance.

*Splinter

So it's pretty obviously going to be a Tory landslide, but what is Scotland expected to do? Could the SNP lose seats here?

Think I may as well vote Lib Dems, live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country so I may as well send a message that I approve of their anti-Brexit stance.
Ditto, I guess. Although I think of it as more anti-Corbyn than anti-Brexit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So it's pretty obviously going to be a Tory landslide, but what is Scotland expected to do? Could the SNP lose seats here?

Based on current Scotland Westminster voting intentions, the SNP would lose 2 seats to the Conservatives (Berwickshire and Dumfries); no other seats would change hands.

CCS

Banned

Ditto, I guess. Although I think of it as more anti-Corbyn than anti-Brexit.

True, six of one half a dozen of the other I guess.

kmag

Based on current Scotland Westminster voting intentions, the SNP would lose 2 seats to the Conservatives (Berwickshire and Dumfries); no other seats would change hands.

I think the SNP will lose four (remember you've got two SNP MP's currently suspended who the party will need to make a decision on) but might gain Ian Murray's and Carmichael's seat. That's just based on a bit of anecdotal evidence from talking to a few Scottish Labour guys I know.

Rodhull

I think the SNP will lose four (remember you've got two SNP MP's currently suspended who the party will need to make a decision on) but might gain Ian Murray's and Carmichael's seat. That's just based on a bit of anecdotal evidence from talking to a few Scottish Labour guys I know.

I can't see Carmichael losing surely? After winning so comfortably last time despite memogate it seems hard to see him being defeated.

Murray and possibly even Mundell seem more likely though but you'd have to imagine the SNAP will lose some. The last time was just too freak a result to be repeated exactly again.

Still see SNP winning the vast majority obviously though. First past the post will see to that.

Beefy

Come on Corbyn.

0382_s7tr.gif

kmag

I can't see Carmichael losing surely? After winning so comfortably last time despite memogate it seems hard to see him being defeated.

Murray and possibly even Mundell seem more likely though but you'd have to imagine the SNAP will lose some. The last time was just too freak a result to be repeated exactly again.

Still see SNP winning the vast majority obviously though. First past the post will see to that.

His majority was hardly comfortable it's only 817. We've also had the court case since then, where it was proved he had lied but he got off on a technicality.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I'm just doing basic UNS, I don't have the necessary local knowledge to do anything more accurate. Local factors could change another seat here or there.

kmag

Yeah, I'm just doing basic UNS, I don't have the necessary local knowledge to do anything more accurate. Local factors could change another seat here or there.

Looking at it, there 7 constituencies which you'd think could conceivably change.

Renfrewshire East - SNP have a 3700 lead over labour
Orkney/Shetland - Lib Dem have 820 vote lead over SNP
Berwick/Roxburgh/Selkirk - SNP have 330 vote lead over Tories
Dumfrieshire/Clydesdale/Tweedale - Tory 790 vote lead over SNP
Dunbartonshire East - SNP 2100 vote lead over Lib Dems
Edinburgh South - Labour 2600 vote lead over SNP
Edinburgh West - SNP 3200 vote lead over Lib Dem

In most of the other Constituencies SNP have over 50% of the votes, or very high 40+% which means tactical voting wouldn't make any real difference unless it's a real swing election or SNP turnout is well down (I don't see either occurring). I think the SNP have a good chance to lose Berwick, Dumfries, Renfrewshire and Dumbartonshire East and maybe pick up Orkney and Edinburgh South.

Probably worst case for the SNP is 50-52 seats and best case is probably 56.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy thing would be if they took the Lab and Lib seats but the Conservatives took both two within their reach. Scotland would be SNP and Tory only!

Rodhull

His majority was hardly comfortable it's only 817. We've also had the court case since then, where it was proved he had lied but he got off on a technicality.

Ah yes you're right sorry, I was getting him confused with the Scottish Parliament results where the lib dems won convincingly for both Orkney and Shetland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom