• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Been warm and sunny the last couple of days in Newcastle. Rather nice indeed, was getting fucking sick of the shitty cold weather.

Also I love Film 4 for providing an HD channel too.

edbrat

What's the UK gaf consensus on cats and the whole indoor/outdoor thing? I've always let them outside and so has everybody I know. Is it a yank thing to consider it cruel to let them out?

I guess it depends on whether the cat is generally streetwise enough to deal with outdoor hazards and that the area isn't a total deathtrap. I let my cat out, installed two catflaps for her. She loves it but I am in a quiet residential area, I would be more wary if there was a busy main road outside. But it would be a shame, she can hunt and catches lots of rats and mice which is better than anything I can feed her, she flirts and fights with other cats, hangs out with my human neighbours who adore her. She would get very bored if she couldn't come and go as she pleased.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What's the UK gaf consensus on cats and the whole indoor/outdoor thing? I've always let them outside and so has everybody I know. Is it a yank thing to consider it cruel to let them out?

I let my cat out all the time now I have a house with a garden. She loves it. I have friends who live on a quieter estate than me and they won't let their cat out at all, I think it's so cruel. Their backdoor opens out onto an enclosed green with no cars in sight, it's idiotic.

I think indoor cats are like homeschooled children. It's not right.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I remember them re-running Monkey every night at about 2am, followed by the weirdest sketch show ever called Dare To Believe. They'd show The PJs too, it was a great time of day for TV.

You just brought back some immense memories of my first year in college. My flatmate and I would sometimes watch that shit when stoned out of our skulls. Then we'd change channels to BBC2 to catch some TOTP2 and Old Grey Whistle Test reruns. Good times.

Is it ok if I think the cherub on a rocking horse just looks shit without having to defend my opinion via forced artistic / social / historical commentary?

I was going to post something like that, but felt like going the high road. I kind of regret it now as I fear I'm about to be accused of being the reincarnation of Oswald Mosley.

My cat was always outdoors until she was around 10. Then she entered cat retirement and slept 20 hours a day inside, only going outside for the toilet. Then again I lived in a village of roughly 1200 people and had a decent sized garden.

Been warm and sunny the last couple of days in Newcastle. Rather nice indeed, was getting fucking sick of the shitty cold weather.

Also I love Film 4 for providing an HD channel too.

It's been chilly in yer home town too. Sometimes in the last week it's sunny (like, really sunny, unusually), but mostly just cold. Good thing my radiator basically shits out heat like crazy.

Still, you're up north, british weather, not much you can do *insert obnoxious dealwithit.gif here*

Meadows

Banned
My parents don't let the cat out too much at their house because they live on the Great Orme mountain and the goats/foxes/tram would probably make pretty short work of it.

Suairyu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;35435872 said:
Kamikaze Girls really is an amazing film. Seriously.
Yeah I was very impressed. As a satire on sub-culture obsession it was fabulous, while pastiching various Japanese film and manga tropes with hilarious results.

Also, like with Randy in South Park, the father was the best character.

Suairyu

Banned
You're losing character
Green Scar I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Are you okay?

If you're feeling under the weather lately I can really recommend St. John's Wart and the scent of witchhazel to calm the nerves. Both work a treat. I think it is also important that we all make a concerted effort to get out into nature from time to time. Go for a walk in the woods. The mental health benefits of natural surroundings are numerous and as such have been recommended as part of official NHS guidelines in treating depression for a long time.

That Brit Awards article - amazing!
that was also about as pleasurable as ramming a Sharpie through your cock and making it disappear altogether, by hammering it down with a copy of the Yellow Pages, with a nail in the end of it

LINK

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Am I the only one that enjoyed/s watching The Brits? Things like that I just take light heartedly as a bit of fun, I think some people (like that reviewer up there) take it way too seriously and get themselves worked up.

Having said that, Cordon is still a HUGE wanker.

Suairyu

Banned
Am I the only one that enjoyed/s watching The Brits? Things like that I just take light heartedly as a bit of fun, I think some people (like that reviewer up there) take it way too seriously and get themselves worked up.
I watching it for Blur. That was all. Unfortunately, Damon tired his vocals out 3/4s of the way into the first song. I've seen him live twice, once as Gorillaz and once for Doctor Dee. He does that sometimes as because he's getting older he can't quite hit the same range as his voice is changing. Gorillaz tracks are more suited to his current voice. Doctor Dee had some amazing moments but every now and again he'd try to hit a note he wasn't quite comfortable with but would have been totally fine doing back in the Britpop era.

Fucking ducks, sort your avatars out.
I would appreciate it if you didn't use our classification as water fowl as a pejorative against our good selves.

Really loving this weather at the moment.

I'm currently trying the Camden Pale Ale in The Engineer, Primrose Hill. The pale ale is good but the pub is a tad poncey (but does have a great range of beers) for my liking. It's good to have an alternative to the Edinboro Castle in the beer garden stakes though.

Guys I can't stop listening to the 13 minute version of the new Gorillaz track.

UK music is just the best.

but the best bit is by an american

and the crazy parts of the 13-minute version are almost certainly by the other american

and it was funded by an american company i guess

(still agree)

Suairyu

Banned
My first ever gig was the Chemical Brothers for their Push The Button tour. I was 17 and everyone around me was on drugs. Amazing.

but the best bit is by an american

and the crazy parts of the 13-minute version are almost certainly by the other american

and it was funded by an american company i guess

(still agree)
No doubt.

But.

I'd put a ton on money on the general musical direction having been done by Albarn.

Guys I can't stop listening to the 13 minute version of the new Gorillaz track.

UK music is just the best.

I don't really rate anything we've produced since the mid nineties. I have to get my musical fixes from Scandinavia, Germany and Holland. So basically my whole life I've kept well clear of UK music.

I like some of the older stuff. Beatles, Pet Shop Boys, Eurythmics, Yazoo, Queen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Floyd etc (the list goes on and on).

Probably the only new(ish) band I rate is Muse.

Suairyu

Banned
The fallout of the Britpop was indeed harsh; we no longer had a sort-of patriotic bent to our music anymore. I don't think we'll ever get as big as we were back then again, or at least not for a long time.

But man we still produce some cracking tunes.

My first ever gig was the Chemical Brothers for their Push The Button tour. I was 17 and everyone around me was on drugs. Amazing.

No doubt.

But.

I'd put a ton on money on the general musical direction having been done by Albarn.

Probably, it kinda reminded me a lot of Doncamatic. Which I also love. Yay Gorillaz.

I don't really rate anything we've produced since the mid nineties. I have to get my musical fixes from Scandinavia, Germany and Holland. So basically my whole life I've kept well clear of UK music.

I like some of the older stuff. Beatles, Pet Shop Boys, Eurythmics, Yazoo, Queen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Floyd etc (the list goes on and on).

Probably the only new(ish) band I rate is Muse.

Think I'd generally agree with you, minus the Muse part.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wasn't too much of a fan after OK Computer. The Bends is my favourite album of theirs but that's because it was the soundtrack to one one of my favourite summers ever.

i got on the radiohead partywagon fairly late, but i think if anything they got better post-ok computer

I have a theory that the quality of British music declined proportionally with the decline of the emphasis on 'albums'.

I think what we Brits did was just produce bloody brilliant albums that had something special about them from beginning to end. These days is more single orientated and its easy to dupe people into believing your good if you don't have to:

a) write all the music yourself
b) perform all the music yourself
c) produce 12 of these songs on one saleable physical product.

Modern artists also seem to be prolonging their careers by collaborating much more. The amount of tracks I see how with Feat. (Endless list of names) is shocking.

Of the Muse albums, I think Absolution is the best and thats because the whole album reminded me of the thematic/quality albums of years gone by. The rest of their stuff has been patchy.

Britpop may have died, but its zombie form known as 'landfill indie' that terrorised the early/mid Noughts was so much worse. HEY GUYS LET'S ALL LISTEN TO THE PIGEON DETECTIVES *shoves gun down throat*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Britpop may have died, but its zombie form known as 'landfill indie' that terrorised the early/mid Noughts was so much worse. HEY GUYS LET'S ALL LISTEN TO THE PIGEON DETECTIVES *shoves gun down throat*

the same period also gave us franz ferdinand

take me out is basically a perfect song

Meadows

Banned

Kaiser Chiefs/Franz Ferdinand were great.

Pigeon Detectives were good too.

the same period also gave us franz ferdinand

take me out is basically a perfect song

Well yeah, they were like one of the first. Those 3 albums are all great, although the first one is obviously a touch above due to the amount of single-worthy tracks on it.

I feel like there was a million bands that came after trying to capitalise on their success, as if 4 lads with guitars was somehow the formula, and not writing fantastic songs with an awesome amount of swagger to them.

Kaiser Chiefs have aged badly, I feel.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well yeah, they were like one of the first. Those 3 albums are all great, although the first one is obviously a touch above due to the amount of single-worthy tracks on it.

I feel like there was a million bands that came after trying to capitalise on their success, as if 4 lads with guitars was somehow the formula, and not writing fantastic songs with an awesome amount of swagger to them.

Kaiser Chiefs have aged badly, I feel.

i was never that enamoured with the kaiser chiefs, i always felt like they were franz ferdinand's coattail clingers

Meadows

Banned
I dunno, I think they were pretty different from Franz, but they haven't aged that well I'll agree.

Their latest albums got some decent songs though.

Suairyu

Banned
The problem with Kaiser Chiefs is that you'd hear a couple of their songs, go "oh man that's some good stuff", buy their album and realise you'd just got duped into buying the same song over and over.

Very, very samey.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
one of the interesting things about the UK music scene is how many big bands break the UK first

e.g. the strokes, the killers, scissor sisters

i once heard someone say that the great thing about the UK is that it has musical ADHD

The problem with Kaiser Chiefs is that you'd hear a couple of their songs, go "oh man that's some good stuff", buy their album and realise you'd just got duped into buying the same song over and over.

Very, very samey.
ooooooooooohhhhhhhh!-oooooooOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!-OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!-OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every. single. song.

Very, very samey.

Anyone who got duped into buying it deserved it for having such shite MOR taste. Might as well enjoy Coldplay too while you're at it.

Employment's singles were OK, but nowhere near worthy of the amount of times that Radio 1 sucked the Kaisers dicks. The other albums are so dull.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
A gotta love the british backshift. Iv got a bottle of buckfast and a quarter of pollin in the house for when I finish tonight. Love being British

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom