• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

p6AsBKU.jpg

he posted this on FB

The UK wants to undertake the exit deal and a trade deal at the same time.

The EU has consistently said this is not possible either legally (the EU cannot negotiate a trade deal with someone who is not a 3rd party) or practically (there's not enough time and having the trade deal be part of the exit deal means that there would have to be a full ratification process which basically would take 8 months)

It's a bit more nuanced. We at least need to discuss the basics of trade and any transitional measures in the exit deal, since the exit deal has to say what the fuck happens to our borders and customs in 2 years' time.
i.e. we need to decide if we will go to WTO rules on exit or if there will be a transitional period where we remain in the single market/customs union until an actual trade deal with the EU is finalised.

However, it's quite obvious that an actual permanent trade deal will take way longer than 2 years to negotiate and can't be done in parallel with exiting.

I would love for us to be sensible and ask to remain in the single market for a transitional period while a trade agreement is set up, but a single market transitional arrangement would require freedom of movement, and May will never accept that.

The bad faith in our demands so far also means that the EU will not want to accept a good transitional arrangement. They will probably want to put us at a disadvantage in future trade negotiations by kicking us out on our arse and letting us beg to have our economy back.

Mr. Sam

Ich will meine Geld zuruck!

We all do, mate. We all do.

The Telegraph have listed "Five EU directives we'll be glad to see the back of"

Even ignoring how crap the removal of Working Time Directive would be, the others total lack of care for the environment are astonishing. Especially for reasons as meaningless as have proved unpopular because they give off a cold, unnatural light compared to their predecessors

If this stuff becomes the norm (and the state of the press in the UK makes me guess it will be), we are absolutely fucked

Just think - these are the five best they could come up with. Lightbulbs! Not being exploited by your employer! What a fucking mess.

Heartfyre

Cake prices will go through the roof for the EU in the next months.

I never understood this faux-argument. Most cakes, breads, pastries, and chocolate are better on the continent.

Anyway, all eyes have left Westminster and are squarely in Brussels. There they will stay -- the UK's leading role in this debacle is at an end.

jelly

Y'all need to chill your tits for a while and stop with the ribbing. Try to enjoy the fracas as much as you can. Or vent away, but do so in a sensible way.

How apropos: German manufacturers say ‘no concessions’ to UK in EU exit talks

They don't say no deal so that's something. Just don't give UK a better one or the same I gather. Not sure how that will keep manufactures happy in the UK but the UK government has yet to divulge what they promised Nissan and surely can't promise all industry a favour...

kess

Even ignoring how crap the removal of Working Time Directive would be, the others total lack of care for the environment are astonishing. Especially for reasons as meaningless as have proved unpopular because they give off a cold, unnatural light compared to their predecessors

If this stuff becomes the norm (and the state of the press in the UK makes me guess it will be), we are absolutely fucked

This list was compiled by a moron. LEDs can be configured to any light temperature, and green energy is Britain's best interest unless the author looks at the cover of Floyd's Animals and feels a compulsion to burn some coal.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They don't say no deal so that's something. Just don't give UK a better one or the same I gather. Not sure how that will keep manufactures happy in the UK but the UK government has yet to divulge what they promised Nissan and surely can't promise all industry a favour...

Automotive News had a piece on this this morning: Auto industry demands tariff-free access to EU as UK triggers Brexit

Automakers said the UK must secure a Brexit deal that preserves tariff-free access between Britain and the European Union after Prime Minister Theresa May formally launched Brexit divorce proceedings on Wednesday.

Ford Motor said unfettered access to EU markets remained crucial for its operations in the UK.

"Any deal must include securing tariff-free trade with the wider Customs Union and not just the EU27, whilst retaining access to the best talent and resources," Ford of Europe President Jim Farley said.

"It also is critical that a transitional period is put in place to ensure that customers are not penalized and to maintain free trade," Farley said.

BMW said earlier this month that it is reviewing its factories in the UK ahead of Brexit and that it has the flexibility to move production elsewhere if necessary.
Automakers basically want access to the common market and some have already called for a larger amount of local providers (read: gov subsidising that particular portion of the industry to make more appealing sourcing parts from the UK). It's a whole different thing if this can be done in a way that satisfies all parts.

Ac30

That light bit isn't even true - My LEDs are brighter and more natural looking than my old incandescents! The fuck are they buying, white fluorescent?

TimmmV

Doesn't literally everyone opt out of the WTD anyway?

Hell no, and the single job i did do that in was the worst I've ever done. I'd refuse to do a job that expected it now

This list was compiled by a moron. LEDs can be configured to any light temperature, and green energy is Britain's best interest unless the author looks at the cover of Floyd's Animals and feels a compulsion to burn some coal.

That light bit isn't even true - My LEDs are brighter and more natural looking than my old incandescents! The fuck are they buying, white fluorescent?

Yeah, either a liar or maliciously stupid person wrote that.

I really don't understand how stupid you would have to be to have a problem with saving money and using less energy just because your lightbulb is a slightly different colour

Makareu

If these are the things that UK is happy to look for ... then yeah, everyone will be better off after the divorce.

jelly

She linked a trade deal with security cooperation? That's crazy. Feels like blackmail.

Yeah, I noticed that in the letter. Would be a shame if you got terrorised without our intelligence, we will help against Russia etc. To be honest, it's one of their better cards to play but scummy.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
kess said:
LEDs can be configured to any light temperature
Not to mention that as of recent years, LED bulbs also come in filament-configurations, so they can emulate the look of of incandescent in addition to light-temp output.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Europe dumped their nukes for American and British guarantees. Now we have jack shit.

It's not nukes (which France has in enough quantity), but counterterrorism and cybersecurity cooperation, on top of telling Putin to stick to fucking over his peasants instead of ours.

Ac30

It's not nukes (which France has in enough quantity), but counterterrorism and cybersecurity cooperation, on top of telling Putin to stick to fucking over his peasants instead of ours.

I realize the French have a few, but without America's missiles and the UK's Trident nukes we're probably not as threatening as we once were. Relying on one nation vs. 3 isnt very reassuring

No counterterrorism co-operation is rich though since they need it as much as we do.

Xando

I realize the French have a few, but without America's missiles and the UK's Trident nukes we're probably not as threatening as we once were. Relying on one nation vs. 3 isnt very reassuring

No counterterrorism co-operation is rich though since they need it as much as we do.

They still have around 300 warheads. Enough to deter Putin from any funny stuff.

Plum

You'll all be taking back your words once you're finally able to eat a bendy banana under an incandescent light-bulb on your 5-minute lunch break. Such a Utopian future is something we should all strive for.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Yeah. I left a hearty chuckle when I heard about it. It's not like the UK doesn't have some radicalisation issues of their own that could require some help from the other side of the channel.

It looks like the UK still has to understand that all those free passes from the past came to happen because we were partners in the same Union. And soon enough we won't be anymore. Negotiating in bad faith will accomplish nothing, and just because defence and the rights of EU citizens are the only solid cards you have doesn't mean you should even think about using them. I mean, as long as you really want to pursue that close and special relationship.

PJV3

You'll all be taking back your words once you're finally able to eat a bendy banana under an incandescent light-bulb on your 5-minute lunch break. Such a Utopian future is something we should all strive for.

As long as my passport is blue and I don't have to see Polish sausage in the newsagents then all is good.

grumpy

Next step, United States and Calexit.

Getting money to break countries, he's totally a comic villain.

He's nothing but a snake oil salesman and a person with at least a handful of firing neurons should be able to see that within 10 seconds of him opening his ugly-ass, bucktoothed mouth.

I really don't understand how stupid you would have to be to have a problem with saving money and using less energy just because your lightbulb is a slightly different colour

Old people eat this up. Before she passed, my 93 year old Grandmother adamant that CFL's and the like were just awful. No matter how much I tried to explain, she was dead set on the idea that they were unable to produce enough light. The color was a secondary distant second. She made me drive her to a fspecialty shop, just so she could buy overpriced incandescent bulbs.

Hell no, and the single job i did do that in was the worst I've ever done. I'd refuse to do a job that expected it now

Yeah, either a liar or maliciously stupid person wrote that.

No? I've had five different jobs in the last 12 years and they all required that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I didn't know Politico.eu was hosting a liveblog.

Edit: Oh, ffs

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has rejected claims that Britain was threatening to withdraw security cooperation from the EU if it does get a trade deal, but some of her comments gave the impression that she was talking up the threat, the Guardian reported.

She said:

”If you look at something like Europol, we are the largest contributor to Europol. So if we left Europol, then we would take our information – this is in the legislation – with us. The fact is, the European partners want us to keep our information there because we keep other European countries safe as well."

DavidDesu

And nothing of value was lost.

My £9.99 flights to Berlin are rather valuable to me thanks! Fuck knows how that would work a few years from now. Are we going to need VISAs or something? Its definitely not going to be as problem free and easy as it is now. Fuck this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom