• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about the scottisch situation: if the british parliament just refuses to accept a new referendum then there is no way for sturgeon to start a binding referendum right?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I see the EP is taking their bad cop role to heart: Manfred Weber: ‘I don’t care’ about London any more

British interests no longer matter to the EU, the leader of the European People’s Party group in the European Parliament reiterated Thursday.

Asked about his tweet that “only the interests of the remaining 440 million Europeans count for us,” Manfred Weber told BBC Radio 4: “I don’t care anymore about the city of London’s interests. I will care about Amsterdam and Dublin and Frankfurt am Main and Paris.”

“I hear every day that you want to stay in the research union. You want to stay as close as possible to the single market. You want to stay in Europol [the EU’s law enforcement agency] together,” Weber said. “I have no idea what you are leaving.

“Theresa May, please tell me what leaving the European Union means.”
There's going to be a lot of posturing and grandstanding from both sides, but one thing is for certain: the harder the Brexit is, the less incentive there is for the EU not to enter the negotiation room like the golden horde.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wow.
Those negotiations are not going to go well. Are they.

Lagamorph

Wow.
Nope, and the way things are going both sides are going to come out looking bad.

I expect some panic deal thrown together at the last minute that's basically what we have now only with none of the UK opt outs and no say in decision making because both sides just give up and say "fuck it"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Funny thing is they won't even start for another 2 months

This is just the EP drawing the line with sulphurous piss.

We knew they were going to be the tough ones, but bringing citizens and defence into play was such a terrible move. British tabloids hold no political power in the EU.

Wow.

It's not really a negotiation. That would imply we have anything at all to offer the EU that they can't take by virtue of being the EU. It's closer to the UK politicians begging the EU to give us whatever table scraps they deem to leave the UK with.

Nope, and the way things are going both sides are going to come out looking bad.

Why is EU going to look bad? At the worst EU companies will have to relocate production from UK to slovakia, bulgaria, poland etc. The banking sector will most likely go to frankfurt, brussels etc. Researchers will go where the money is and EU research funds will be bigger than UK research funds.

And once hard brexit is a reality UK wabts to cut taxes. If that happens (and EU retaliates with transaction taxes and customs) UK government will have not enough budget for their spending.

I expect some panic deal thrown together at the last minute that's basically what we have now only with none of the UK opt outs and no say in decision making because both sides just give up and say "fuck it"

Thats the norwegian model and would be the worst case for britain. No say but bound to EU law

Worst scenario is that WTO rules apply meaning that prices in the UK will increase for everything and manfacturers will leave the country. Also UK will no longer be able to do any financial services for EU countries and legal, accounting etc. services will take a hit as well.

Veidt

What's the chances of Britain's brexit goals changing after election? What if the folks that win just say we want a Norway deal and finish negotiations sooner and without serious impact.

Xando

What's the chances of Britain's brexit goals changing after election? What if the folks that win just say we want a Norway deal and finish negotiations sooner and without serious impact.

By the time there is a GE. Britain is out and would have to reapply (like scotland and catalonia :p).

theaface

Why is EU going to look bad? At the worst EU companies will have to relocate production from UK to slovakia, bulgaria, poland etc. The banking sector will most likely go to frankfurt, brussels etc. Researchers will go where the money is and EU research funds will be bigger than UK research funds.

And once hard brexit is a reality UK wabts to cut taxes. If that happens (and EU retaliates with transaction taxes and customs) UK government will have not enough budget for their spending.

So, in summary, what you're saying is...

iP42wHz.gif

You're forgetting the EU owes the UK a good deal. It's to their benefit to bend over for the UK and give them the best deal.

Just imagine if all those old people who've retired in in Spain decided to leave in disgust? The Spanish economy wouldn't survive.

By the time there is a GE. Britain is out and would have to reapply (like scotland and catalonia :p).

I think nobody in the EU would oppose a norwegian deal. It means that UK is a de facto- colony of the EU (its baffling that norwegians agreed to this)
You're forgetting the EU owes the UK a good deal. It's to their benefit to bend over for the UK and give them the best deal.

Just imagine if all those old people who've retired in in Spain decided to leave in disgust? The Spanish economy wouldn't survive.

The UK owes EU 60 billion Euros.

Also old people retired in spain want to give up great weather and come back to the rainy island probably loosing a lot of money? Yeah right

PJV3

The youngest member state is Croatia, which required about 10 years from application to member status without accounting for previous work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_enlargement_of_the_European_Union#Timeline

Serbia aimed for a record 4 years, but they are still on it.

This is the most salient bit. Legally speaking Scotland could have half of the work cut out for them, but there are many other aspects that they'd need to be worked out, particularly in regards to the economy. Plus, other aspiring countries wouldn't accept Scotland being fast tracked so cheerly.

I'm not expecting a fast track but beyond the remains of the UK being difficult there doesn't seem to be much to get in the way. Even if they achieve independence which is a few years away at least and the possible Brexit transition deal taking us up to 2022 it could work out alright for Scotland .

It's bloody complicated to try and put all these pieces together mentally, and that's if everyone behaves rationally.

Lagamorph

The EU doubling down on the "no negotiations with absolutely anybody until you're out" doesn't exactly make them look good. I know it's in the laws/rules, but it comes across as unsavoury at best.
It's something that May can, and will, play up hugely both in the UK and internationally.

Pandy

France did aswell.

No good cop/bad cop negotiations like with Greece.

Best thing about Brexit is that we don't have to care anymore about what British eurosceptics or British media has to say

Holy shit! Thought I'd check that bit you mentioned as I'd only seen the Merkel comment on the Guardian not the French one. Can't see any mention on the BBC news website of the negative French or German comments, plenty if I search Google for other news websites.

It's 10am and the Guardian ran that story yesterday. The BBC has gone full Ministry of Truth already.

Veidt

So, in summary, what you're saying is...

iP42wHz.gif
I never got this gif.
Is it because his hands are shaking? Or is there something else I am missing.
Or is it just the simple fact that he's so delusional with his obsession and lying, that he doesn't know how ridiculously he sounds.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What are the chances that the Conservative government falls before Brexit negotiations are complete and a Labour government decides to just scrap everything and stay in the EU?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Do you mean the masses of British pensioners straning the healthcare system and never venturing outside of their enclaves, keeping afloat British owned business that so oftenly engage in the most brazen acts of tax dodging?

I think we'd do fine.

British pensioners stopped being hugely profitable the day the housing bubble popped. Now that they are not buying land they are not what you'd call a gold mine. Some parts of the coast would take a hit, but for the most part the damage would be very contained.

Lagamorph

What are the chances that the Conservative government falls before Brexit negotiations are complete and a Labour government decides to just scrap everything and stay in the EU?
Not while Corbyn is in charge. He'd double down on a hard Brexit. He's more anti-EU than even Farage has ever been.

The EU doubling down on the "no negotiations with absolutely anybody until you're out" doesn't exactly make them look good. I know it's in the laws/rules, but it comes across as unsavoury at best.
It's something that May can, and will, play up hugely both in the UK and internationally.

Its a simple negotiation tactic.

EU has less to loose in case of the worst outcome so they can adhere to the procedure anf move slowly

Corbyn currently only has 25% voting intention, and among Labour voters less of them think he's more suitable a prime minister than May. But he can't be dislodged because an enthusiastic base for him - not enough to ever get near election - has seized the party. It's a grim time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

This is happening because May keeps pushing for the contrary. If any, it reflects poorly on May since she holds no carrot nor stick, yet here we are.

oti

Banned

Another lovely flavour next to May's blatant threat to the EU's security apparatus.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not disputing that they can do that perfectly legally, but it still makes them come across fairly bad.

EU: No negotiations until divorce terms are settled.
UK: Sure, whatever.

***article 50***

UK: Can I has trade deal?
EU: We said no. Divorce first.
UK: Trade deal.
EU: First divorce, then talks.
UK: Let's make a trade deal.
EU: We said no.
UK: Trade deal.
EU: Did we stutter?

Yeah, I don't think the EU is looking bad unless in the eyes of those curious gents who believe that the UK is entitled to something because of reasons.

That already happened. That's why May triggered article 50 this early, and announced it not long ago too. I think for Westminister, it was probably an impossible task the sheer amount of work and negotiating and staff and planning involved, is breathtaking.

There is very little hardcoded formal parts to article 50, as it is unprecedented and was never expected to be used. So the manner of leaving, in terms of paperwork and negotiations was always going to be up to the EU. Clearly, at some point, due to the EU attitude, which is completely understandable, May just gave up.

There are some Tory patriots that care and recognize how sad of a day it is. But David Cameron just said today he agrees that brexit had to happen, or some shit. That fucking asshole. Even after all this he won't admit any folly. That irks me more than anything else.

theaface

I never got this gif.
Or is it just the simple fact that he's so delusional with his obsession and lying, that he doesn't know how ridiculously he sounds.

Absolutely the latter, 100%.

tolkir

So, 300.000 retired British are saving Spain right now. God save the queen.

Calabi

You have to admire this in a perverse kind of way, they know Brexit is going to be a shitfest so they are doing everything they can to frame the negative fallout as the EU not wanting to security and putting British lives at risk.

The narrative is forming and it's going in directions no-one could have imagined.

I dont see how this could be viewed as anything but negative for the UK and the UK's fault.

I dont understand how anyone can look at the headline and agree with it and say yeah serves them right and us. Our papers and politicians are the dumbest shit heads.

jelly

I don't understand why the UK is leaving either. Right now they have the best EU deal, was even better when Cameron a got a little bit more before Brexit.

So now the UK wants to cherry pick free trade, tariffs, cooperation etc. for nothing practically while following no rules, basically still be in the EU in name only.

The EU has said they won't budge on four freedoms which the UK won't agree to either so you're left with no deal or a crap one. Even if the UK agrees to the four freedoms for trade etc. what is the point in the UK leaving the EU if it's just a worse deal than what we have now or no deal which is absolutely stupid.

There is no logic to it. UK can't have EU perks without being in it to some degree. Out if it, UK is screwed. Why leave only to get a worse deal and accepting things you were leaving for apparently. It makes no sense.

I actually think the talks between the UK and the EU will be mostly worthless and quick not even needing the 2 years, let alone a year because there is nothing to discuss that can logically happen except the UK leaving completely or accepting the four freedoms, there is no middle ground that works for the UK and EU has no reason to compromise.

I never got this gif.

He's celebrating a big win even though it's obvious that the real trouble is only about to start.

It's a lot like the infamous "Mission Accomplished" picture of GWB after the Iraq War had ended.

Pandy

Eh? May's position was like trying to negotiate a good deal on a Sky subscription with the late payments department that are phoning you for money.
Sure, theoretically you can have both conversations in parallel, but given that the starting point for one is very much predicated on the outcome of the other it makes no logical sense to do so.

PJV3

There are some Tory patriots that care and recognize how sad of a day it is. But David Cameron just said today he agrees that brexit had to happen, or some shit. That fucking asshole. Even after all this he won't admit any folly. That irks me more than anything else.

To be fair to Cameron, when professional lying bastard Boris became acceptable it probably did.

theaface

I don't understand why the UK is leaving either. Right now they have the best EU deal, was even better when Cameron a got a little bit more before Brexit.

So now the UK wants to cherry pick free trade, tariffs, cooperation etc. for nothing practically while following no rules, basically still be in the EU in name only.

The EU has said they won't budge on four freedoms which the UK won't agree to either so you're left with no deal or a crap one. Even if the UK agrees to the four freedoms for trade etc. what is the point in the UK leaving the EU if it's just a worse deal than what we have now or no deal which is absolutely stupid.

There is no logic to it. UK can't have EU perks without being in it to some degree. Out if it, UK is screwed.

I actually think the talks between the UK and the EU will be mostly worthless and quick not even needing the 2 years, let alone a year because there is nothing to discuss that can logically happen except the the UK leaving completely or accepting the four freedoms, there is no middle ground that works for the UK and EU has no reason to compromise.

All of this is common sense to anyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention for the last year. Say what you will about misinformed and disillusioned voters who fell for the big Vote Leave con for whatever reasons, but that such a huge portion of our parliament, seemingly intelligent and successful people, went for this is unforgivable. I can't get my head around it.

I know there is a contingent of the 'fuck you, got mine' wealthy crowd within government, but I still can't grasp how so many MPs gleefully sit there at PMQs guffawing and jeering at the SNP and the Lib Dems who dare to question this monumentally stupid and self-harming course of action. Like, do none of them have a shred of conscience or shame? Don't they want to leave the country a better and more prosperous place than when they found it? Are they really that delusional and blind to the facts that they think this will work out well for the UK, or do they really just not care?

Fuck, I really just wish there were more 'good guys' in parliament. Feels like I could count them on one hand at the moment.

Spaghetti

Those new quotes from David Cameron are something else.

Torpedo your political career in less than 12 months, scarper off for some cushy job, still can't admit you played yourself.

jelly

lol WTF, NHS wouldn´t survive, Spain´s economy would be fine.

Those old people coming back and wrecking our NHS!

I guess once you've done poor people, immigrants then old people are next on the hate train.

When they came for the poor....
When they came for the immigrants....
When they......oh nooo.

UK is fuckin funny if they think they're going to get the same deals they had before with EU nations without actually being in the EU.

I understand the leadership has to try, but lol.

Veidt

The problem is that MPs care about their seat more than they care about the country.
Labour in particular is the problem. Instead of being an opposition, they become an accomplice. They care more about their seats. Labour has lost all credibility and stands for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom