• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

I am really sad about this, I finished the game this weekend and I loved every second of it.
This game reminded me of Dead Space a lot but the art team had a field day, some rooms are so perfectly designed it would seem to me that it would take a few weeks to do them.

It's a shame games like this don't seem to be commercially viable anymore :(

SomTervo

18% at retail will likely be made up through digital sales. 75% at retail is a much wider gap.
18% is well within the margin where the increase in digital sales throughout the years probably eliminated that drop entirely.
You're leaving out the important context that 18% at retail will likely be made up through digital sales of SoW. 75% at retail is a much wider gap.

You never know, TEW2 might make it back on digital too, considering how the market has changed. We arguably have less than half the picture without digital numbers.

This is besides the point anyway - the person I was originally entering discussion with asserted that A) Shadow of War was the better game and B) that TEW2 being a worse game was why it sold 75% less at retail (both of which are already highly debatable). The fact that SoW sold less at retail impacts his argument because gamers didn't flock more to that sequel any more than they flocked more to this sequel.

Based on retail. Which is a flawed initial position anyway.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I think it's gotta be hard, franchises drive sales so much. I played through Resident Evil Revelations when it got released on ps4 and opted to finally play through RE6 in my backlog and not EW1. I love RE4 but I am hesitant to block out the time to play these games. Totally not the developers fault, I am just a resident evil fan, and it's hard for me to get enthusiastic without Resident evil's (ridiculous) mythology infused into the narrative.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
18% is well within the margin where the increase in digital sales throughout the years probably eliminated that drop entirely.

No, it doesn't. It literally even tells you about how digital sales can easily explain the drop.
Didn't Digital sales get disregarded for TEW2 in this very thread as it UK.

MUnited83

For you.
You never know, TEW2 might make it back on digital too, considering how the market has changed. We arguably have less than half the picture without digital numbers.

Didn't Digital sales get disregarded for TEW2 in this very thread as it UK.

Might be because of simple math?

Like, you are aware that 75% is a much bigger number than 18%, yes?

And 18% falls within the reported increased digital margins, which are usually 20 to 30%. And, well, 75% is not quite within those two.

Even if you put digital sales for TEW 2, that's still a pretty severe 50-40% drop.

Marcel

First was trash so not surprised. I hope they ll continue franchise for the fans.

The first game has a fair amount of problems but it's definitely not trash. If you want trash survival horror just play any of the post-Team Silent Silent Hill games.

SomTervo

Might be because of simple math?

Like, you are aware that 75% is a much bigger number than 18%, yes?

And 18% falls within the reported increased digital margins, which are usually 20 to 30%. And, well, 75% is not quite within those two.

Even if you put digital sales for TEW 2, that's still a pretty severe 50-40% drop.

A) Fascinating.
B) I never said it was a fact, I simply said 'You never know' and 'arguably'
C) Read the rest of my post where I decribe why this isn't the point of the discussion

It is said that the first game sold 5 million copies. If the number is accurate it's not really surprising they made a sequel.

Got a link? That seems incredibly high for a game that only seemed to sell moderately well around launch. It's only at 800k on Steam which would put its console sales incredibly high.

I thought the absence of PS3/X360 versions was one of the reasons , Turned out that they were only 12K out of 65K in the original , So that makes no difference

I don't think I even knew it launched on last-gen hardware!

As a (Lord) British, can confirm that nobody wants to buy at retail anymore. Your options are basically GAME or CEX. CEX is manifestly cheaper, stocks more and doesn't try to powersell you a bunch of shit. Also it isn't staffed by people who think you want their opinion on your purchases. If I could strike GAME from the face of the earth, I would (after securing jobs for its many staff, natch).

Sure, okay. Got anything to back that up, aside from anecdotes?!

This said, I also don't really know what this data means. It's quite a headline, but then also it's the third top selling game? That's not too bad, especially when you look at its competition there.

But chart placement is essentially pointless when we know it sold ~15,000 copies. It doesn't matter if it came first if it still only sold a quarter of its predecessor.

It does include Amazon sales. And people on here have said the UK isn't as big on digital as other places due to the pricing of digital games. This is undeniably a bad result.

Yeah, we get fucked on digital pricing here, and as I understand it costs in mainland Europe are even worse. I would be interested to know digital adoption rates in the region, but I'd be willing to bet it's far below NA.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
GS is reporting both SoW and TEW2 as bombers, I still think we should wait a week especially for TEW2 as it only been 2 days, SoW released at the beginning of the week and it sales reflect that.

Bluth54

They sent this out to die just like Prey; 0 buzz

It's very strange how Bethesda continues to treat every game they release like Elder Scrolls or Fallout when it's very clear that very few of their games are big enough IPs to support the lack or pre-release buzz or reviews.

Anung

Un Rama
Considering UK digital pricing I'm not holding my breath that it'll save this game.

Bethesda are such a perplexing company. For my taste they are making games that totally caters to my interests. Stuff like Dishonored, Doom, Prey, The Evil Within and Wolfenstein are absolutely my shit. But they don't market their games correctly or stop reviewers from doing the work for them. It's like they seen that withholding Doom reviews didn't hurt the game so let's do that with all our games forgetting that Doom is a legendary series that has name recognition that allowed for good word of mouth. Market the other games and let reviews drum up interest and potentially drive sales. This game is getting better reviews than the first ffs. October being so crowded probably didn't help either.

At least Wolfenstein is being marketed well but with the current zeitgeist that wouldn't be super hard.

SomTervo

Considering UK digital pricing I'm not holding my breath that it'll save this game.

Bethesda are such a perplexing company. For my taste they are making games that totally caters to my interests. Stuff like Dishonored, Doom, Prey, The Evil Within and Wolfenstein are absolutely my shit. But they don't market their games correctly or stop reviewers from doing the work for them. It's like they seen that withholding Doom reviews didn't hurt the game so let's do that with all our games forgetting that Doom is a legendary series that has name recognition that allowed for good word of mouth. Market the other games and let reviews drum up interest and potentially drive sales. This game is getting better reviews than the first ffs. October being so crowded probably didn't help either.

At least Wolfenstein is being marketed well but with the current zeitgeist that wouldn't be super hard.

Great post and the bolded is a good point.

Sad face.

DVCY201

I guess Bethesda only cares about Wolfenstein this year? Like, they barely try to advertise most of their other games. Prey and Dishonored suffered for it too.

Kill3r7

Agreed for the most part but outside of Friday the 13th there are no other horror games of note releasing this month. So competition is not exactly fierce within the genre.

Azzanadra

I feel the same way. I want Bethesda to succeed because I love the games they publish, bought Prey and TEW2 this year and may pick up Wolf 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider as well. Yet it seems they are intent on undermining themselves at every term, as if someone at the company wants to prove that single-player AAA is over and that they should shift towards games-as-a-service.

Well it's a mixture of things here in UK, Lack of retail shops selling the game( only GAME near me) supermarkets under cutting them, And digital( i have switched to all digital because of primary account trick)

Personally i have way more games attached to my PSVR than i do the normal way to game, Far more enticing and fun instead of sequel after sequel like we get.

Matt

This is besides the point anyway - the person I was originally entering discussion with asserted that A) Shadow of War was the better game and B) that TEW2 being a worse game was why it sold 75% less at retail (both of which are already highly debatable). The fact that SoW sold less at retail impacts his argument because gamers didn't flock more to that sequel any more than they flocked more to this sequel.

Based on retail. Which is a flawed initial position anyway.
If you factor in digital, in the U.K., SoW is basically flat with SoM, and Evil Within is still massively down.

This is a horrible result for EW2, and an OK result for SoW.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you factor in digital, in the U.K., SoW is basically flat with SoM, and Evil Within is still massively down.

This is a horrible result for EW2, and an OK result for SoW.

Yeah, my expectation would be that Warner would be satisfied with Shadow of War even if they move in a different direction for a new game, whereas The Evil Within is nigh assuredly a dead franchise that will result in a major shakeup in the studio's direction.

itsc4z

Neo Member
It's a shame, I thoroughly enjoyed number 1 but not enough to preorder 2. Hopefully the price starts tanking in the next few weeks.

Yeah, my expectation would be that Warner would be satisfied with Shadow of War even if they move in a different direction for a new game, whereas The Evil Within is nigh assuredly a dead franchise that will result in a major shakeup in the studio's direction.

After Prey, Evil Within 2, and Dishonored 2's poor performances I expect some major internal shifts / changes at Bethesda.

I don't see them focusing on 10-20 hour single player only titles much at all in the coming future.

Jumeira

Banned
I thought the original was very clumsy and saw some that remain in the sequel, the main protag reacting in a way where he's still surprised at each paranormal event after all he went through really impacts my involvement, ie progressing through a world where he doesnt learn and adapt makes him seem really dumb. I do hope they do another though, theres no one else creating survival horror like this. I don't think i can part with £50 for it, unfortunately.

Jake2by4

After Prey, Evil Within 2, and Dishonored 2's poor performances I expect some major internal shifts / changes at Bethesda.

I don't see them focusing on 10-20 hour single player only titles much at all in the coming future.
Maybe it was there plan all along. To have an a excuse to got the loot create route.
/Jk

stupei

Bethesda keep sending titles out to die with their zero reviews at launch. They have to realize that not every franchise is Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or Doom that sell on name alone. If there are zero write ups on launch day, your game might as well not even exist to plenty of people.

Of course, they're going to take this to mean that the properties themselves are entirely to blame and not their new approach to not marketing.

Plumpman

This is the game none of us deserve, and yet here it is.
Its magnificent fun, meaty, and has no bullshit micro-transactions.
Support this game damn it!

Yeah. looking at recent NPD stuff. Seems digital hovers around 30% at most.

Nope there are titles that go higher than 30%. That's the average not the high end. Top digital splits go as high as 40%+

But yes there is zero chance digital made up the difference on a single player only horror title. Evil Within 2 isn't going to have the same sort of digital split an online only multiplayer game like Destiny 2 will for example

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Damn, the game is great. Idk why stuff like this happens. Maybe it wasn't advertised well enough. Strange, if I were to invest millions of dollars in developing a game, I'd surely advertise it so it performs well enough to justify the investment.

Pretty annoyed with Bethesda for the fact that they're already promoting that game fairly heavily, while putting forth the bare minimum of effort into making it clear that the Evil Within 2 has actually come out.

It's a really good game, and (at least on console) in much better technical shape than its predecessor. Survival horror games on this scale just aren't done anymore.

It deserves to find an audience.

Yeah it’s really shitty. They should be commended for making these beautifully crafted single player games, but the lack of marketing is puzzling.

Yeah, my expectation would be that Warner would be satisfied with Shadow of War even if they move in a different direction for a new game

Why would they be satisfied at the status quo? there is 3 years worth of extra console sales to sell to, they've obviously increased the marketing budget. Yet to just sell about par has to a be a disappointment, especially as the first game had glowing reviews and won GOTY's.

Kill3r7

Yep. Outside of their big franchises they will probably have to explore some new IPs focusing on GaaS.

So in general are single player tripple a game sales down? Alot of main franchise sequels this year seem to
Be underperforming. Or is it franchise fatigue? Are people finally done with sequels.

Top Bottom