• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

LakeEarth

I just had a dream about MvC3 where Taskmaster had more moves. An exploding knife tip, a hidden chain move (like Ghostrider). Kinda funny considering the character.

And Metroid Prime 1 is the closest thing to a 3d Super Metroid. All the worlds are interconnected, and there are tons of shortcuts for speedruns. It just has that sense of exploration. MP2 got too big and lost that interconnectivity of the world, and MP3 is more linear.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't play a lot of games. There's so many well known series I haven't even touched, the biggest probably being Final Fantasy and Zelda.

I'm finally going to put some effort into playing matches in this game. I've played it on and off messing around in training room but of course nothing translates into actual matches. I get blown up in those.

I've really been digging Viper/X/Dante shell. I play with viper most often so I'm most comfortable with her. Never really played Dante but I like the jam session assist. I gotta get BnBs and move sets with him. Kind of daunting since he has so much. Right now the second gets switched around but usually is Storm or Task, since I know a couple of BnBs for them. I'm sure there is a stronger second for the team though. I just don't know who to put there yet. Plus I rather have a character there I know until I can learn some dante stuff.

Any tips or pointers for learning Dante from the beginning? I'll get the move set eventually. I'd like a couple of strong basic BnBs just to get started. I've looked around but there is a ton of stuff out there for him. Don't even know where to start.

Tirael

I have never played any games from the following series, along with highly opinionated reasons why:
I don't expect you to listen, but I must say something to a couple of these.

Assassin's Creed
That's a real shame. What threw you off about the series? If it was AC1, that's totally understandable. That was when they were first starting out and the game series and engine were working on getting established. This led to some janky design decisions and monotony in the missions. However, each assassination was extremely interesting because it essentially laid a puzzle out for you, and you had to solve it. With your knife in their throat. However, you really don't need to play AC1. I would absolutely suggest you play AC2, though. It fixes almost every single problem that AC1 even thought about having. (Also you can get it really cheap these days.) And it sums up AC1 in the intro through narration and gameplay clips, so I think it's really unfortunate that you've chosen to skip this one.
Batman
You mean Arkham Asylum and Arkham City? Do you just dislike Batman as a character? Because these are widely regarded to be the two best Batman games ever created, and in my opinion, truly capture the essence of the series. I would be very interested in hearing further comments from you about why you dislike this and Assassin's Creed.
Ratchet and Clank
I love the Ratchet and Clank series, but if you didn't like it enough, then that's fair, because I'm sure the demo told you enough about the game. I can't imagine the game being very different from the demo.
God of War
Despite having played through 1, 2, 3, and Chains of Olympus, I can totally understand this. Kratos is a dick, and what you see is what you get.
Kingdom Hearts
Don't bother with this one. I enjoy Kingdom Hearts, but the ending of each game creates FAR more questions than it answers.
Tales games
Haven't tried many except for Tales of Symphonia, which I thought was amazing. Its visuals were very Anime-esque, but it told a quite deep story with very interesting characters. And the voice acting was a lot better than the genre usually has.
Devil May Cry
You don't have to hear me say it, but DMC3 is one of my favorite games of all time. But if you don't like the style, there's not much that can be done. You really have to hang your hat at the door with this one or you're not going to be able to appreciate it.
Onimusha
Actually better than you might think. In particular, I thought Onimusha 3 was a wonderful game. It's like Resident Evil meets Devil May Cry. But since you've already expressed your disinterest for both of those game series, then I think we're done here, lol.

Now, as for games that are queued up in my list:
Currently Playing:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Almost done, about 80%)
Final Fantasy 6 (A quarter of the way through?)

Own but haven't played yet:
Borderlands 2 (This one's next)
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (And then I'll buy 3 if I like them enough)
Final Fantasy 7 (Got to the final dungeon, then stopped. Dunno why.)
Final Fantasy 8 (Got about halfway through, gonna start over.)
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10-2 (Got more than halfway through, but I'm determined to complete it.)
Final Fantasy 12 (Balthier was the only reason I played this as much as I did the first time. But it's mainline, it's gotta be played.)
Final Fantasy 13-2 (Already beat 13)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (It's a prequel so maybe it won't have so many questions at the end)
Darksiders 2

LakeEarth

Any tips or pointers for learning Dante from the beginning? I'll get the move set eventually. I'd like a couple of strong basic BnBs just to get started. I've looked around but there is a ton of stuff out there for him. Don't even know where to start.

There's this cool google document GAF members have been making that lists things to practice for Dante, and some other characters. Might be a bit daunting for Dante though, he had like a page and a half of stuff. Anyone got that link to that?

And to get good at this game, you gotta play online more. This is a game of bullshit, and you've got to learn to spot it and deal with it. And then steal those ideas for your own.

Chavelo

What are the best current Sentinel command grab combos in a corner one can do?

Right now, this is what I'm trying to learn/have when x-factor is done/not in use:

L Version = S.L, S.M, S, sj, j.M, j. M, j.H, fly, j.L, j.M, j.H, j.S (automatic unfly), and then
If ton of meter: TK L Rocket Punch to Hard Drive (Loop TK Hard Drive if no fucks are given), then c.M, L Rocket Punch to Jazz Hands
If one bar only: L. Rocket Punch to Jazz Hands

M Version = j.L j.M, j.H, j.L j.M, j.H, S.M, S, sj, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, and then
If ton of meter: TK L Rocket Punch to Hard Drive (Loop TK Hard Drive if no fucks are given), then c.M, L Rocket Punch to Jazz Hands

H Version = j.M, j.M, j.H, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.M, j.H, S.M, S, sj, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, and then

Also, on a related note... I just found out how easy is to do a tick-grab from a standing L :lol Just add a standing H and cancel it into a grab... you press L, H and then do the grab... was wondering how people were canceling the spit so fast! D:

Dahbomb

Metal Gear (just never felt like it; saw some MGS1, looked boring)

MGS is a love or hate franchise to be honest. I rarely prescribe to cutscene heavy games but something about MGS always pulls me in. It's probably the characters and attention to detail. Game play and controls is always something that MGS struggles with but it's a fun series. MGS1 is probably dated now but if you want to play one MGS game that still holds up you should try MGS3 HD version and then decide if you want to try out the franchise. I truly believe every gamer should at least play through a MGS game once, it's a unique gaming experience to say the least.

Tekken (I knew it sucked from watching it at the arcade)
Tekken is awesome but Tekken 1/2 were rather stiff and just not that fun. Things turned around greatly with Tekken 3. TTT was fun, Tekken 4 is garbage, Tekken 5 is great and then it went down again with Tekken 6. Now it's back up to TTT1/Tekken 5 level with TTT2 and probably a great Tekken to get into. There is also a fighting character in Tekken someone can pick up IMO... so many of them.

Grand Theft Auto (they are in poor taste)
To be quite honest the only GTA I liked was GTA3 because it was a unique experience. The other games were just building on top of GTA3 and it has started swaying away from what made GTA3 so fun. It has become too much of a reality simulator now where as GTA3 was just a fun, sandbox type game. I guess this is more a case of the industry changing and GTA tuning its style to match customer appeal.

Uncharted (they seem boring)
The forerunner of the interactive action movie/game genre. I played one of the Uncharted all the way and decided it's not a series for me. They are decent rentals but there is no depth to them. In fact you are probably better off just watching a walkthrough than playing the game IMO.
Mass Effect (played the first one for an hour, determined that it sucked)
ME1 was boring the first couple hours but it picks up. ME2 is more approachable and fun because it has better game play but falls short in the exploration/RPG department. Haven't played ME3 yet, I will do that when it's cheaper. I think it's a solid sci-fi series, worth trying.

Resident Evil (I have RE1 still wrapped)
The PS1 game? That's really dated now and REmake on the GCN has replaced it almost entirely and is one of the best games made in the survival genre. RE2 is fun, RE3 is sort of meh, RE:CV is alright, RE4 is one of the best games every made, RE5 is fun but flawed and RE6 is just...flawed. Honestly speaking everyone should at least trying REmake and RE4 to see which type of RE they prefer.

Metroid Prime (tried MP1 and MP3 and got bored with both within an hour)
MP1 and MP2 are excellent games IMO.

Crash Bandicoot (these games suck, 1 hour at most before dropping)
Most of them suck now I would imagine, first one was fun.

Assassin's Creed (sucks)
First one sucked, 2nd one is better but IMO this is a series I never really enjoyed much. If you ever want to get back into the series you should try 2 though, it's definitely better than the first one considerably.

Batman (sucks)
If you are talking about Arkham Asylum/City then I would have say these 2 are some of my favorite games this generation. Easily the two best Batman/comic book games ever made. Combat is fun.

Tomb Raider (sucks)
Yeah I played the first couple of Tomb Raider, not my cup of tea either. Most of the Tomb Raiders by now are mediocre games and the older ones are dated. The new one is looking like an Uncharted clone.

This is a great game you should definitely try it. Bioshock 2 while a good game was a disappointment after the first one.

Ratchet and Clank (tried a PS3 demo, was impressed but not motivated to buy)
Fun games, you can rarely go wrong with R&C.

Splinter Cell (boring)
The great one in this series is SC3: Chaos Theory. Every other one is worse and some are rather mediocre. SC doesn't have the charm of MGS in the story/characters but at least SC3 is a very solid stealth game.

God of War (sucks)
Looking past the over the top violence, the sex mini games, the raging protagonist... this is a very fun action series. Combat is serviceable enough and the presentation is always top notch. One of the most consistent series made in gaming IMO.

Rayman (never heard of it until recently, grouped it with other crappy Mario rip-offs)
The first few 2D Rayman games are stellar and a couple of the 3D Rayman games are great. It's a platformer but it's not a Mario rip off unless you also qualify Sonic and other mascot games to be Mario rip offs too. The first few Raymans are challenging games and remind me of the old school difficulty that is lost in modern games. The newer Rayman games I have no interest in though.

Kingdom Hearts (disinterested, but no hate for the series)
Never played it myself doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Half-life (tried playing HL2 once, thought it sucked)
It's a slow burner but the game has impeccable design. It's a very well made game especially for it's time, definitely one that should be experienced.

Tales games (look like generic anime crap)
Devil May Cry (tried it, thought it sucked, I'll give it another shot some day)
DMC1 and DMC3 are classical action game status now. DMC2 is garbage. DMC4 is great but flawed in the level design which causes a lot of hate to be spewed about it.

Onimusha (looked like generic crap, never touched it)
Onimusha games are ok at best, like a cross between DMC and RE games. Oni3 is probably the most well produced Onimusha game but it neither delivers in the action department nor in the puzzle solving/adventure department. They aren't generic but they aren't a top shelf game series. Dawn of Dreams was a big disappointment and they haven't made an Oni game after that.

Shenmue (confused this with Onimusha for the longest time; still don't know the difference)
Huge difference between the two, Onimusha is more fantasy with actual solid game play and Shenmue is more like GTA with mediocre game play. Shenmue is ass, it gave birth to QTEs so it gets extra hate from me.
Max Payne (looks like a game GTA fans would like)
Haven't played 3 yet but the first 2 were solid shooters. It's not a GTA game because it's not really open world, it's just a straight on 3rd person shooter. It started the whole bullet time fad in shooting games and it has a unique style of story telling. The first 2 are probably dated now in terms of mechanics but the style is still stellar.

Animal Crossing (these games are huge pieces of crap IMO)
I agree.

Guild Wars (just never tried it)
I tried it and they are a huge time sink. Both GW1 and GW2 came when I was preoccupied with other games. They look like decent games though.

JeTmAn81

Yes, I finally made a top posters list for a thread! *techno dance*. Also, my posting in that thread was about 12.5% of my entire posting history.

Dahbomb

Uncharted series is not going to age well. Like at all.
In terms of game design or in terms of art/visual?

Uncharted looks great and will look great for a long time now but I would agree that in terms of mechanics it's not going to hold well a long time from now.

Tobe

Yes, I finally made a top posters list for a thread! *techno dance*. Also, my posting in that thread was about 12.5% of my entire posting history.
I think that at least 2/3 of my posts comes from marvel threads and FGC related threads.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Most definitely.

I think the entire series is overrated TBH. Singleplayer is sooooooooo elongated and MP is kind of half addictive half terrible. Haven't played 3 though. Enjoyable experience, but I don't see it being remembered for more than pretty graphics.

Nert

I would agree with this. The Uncharted series (Uncharted 2 especially) delivers some really creative scenarios and gorgeous visuals, but the mechanics were never really impressive to me. The platforming is very simplistic and linear, the puzzles are infrequent and also simple, and the shooting... many would disagree with me, but it comes across as an unremarkable third person shooter with standard weapon types and a few bullet spongey enemies.

In addition to constant sessions with UMvC3 and The Binding of Isaac, I've been playing through Bulletstorm lately. The trappings and dialogue are aggressively silly and throwaway, but the shooting is absolutely fun and experimental in a way that I wish more shooters would be. I feel like I'm being actively rewarded for playing around with different techniques, combos and weapons. If you're going to make a game where your character is murdering hundreds and hundreds of people, you might as well embrace the ridiculousness of it and put in an elaborate combo system :p

JeTmAn81

The other game I've been playing is Dark Souls. That game is unexpectedly (to me) godlike. The core mechanics presented could be used in a lot of other games. It actually reminds me a bit of a fighting game in terms of taking the basic combat with enemies to a higher level than most games (mash on X).

TWILT

Banned
Main other fighting game I play is P4A. Been making time for backlog though; just finished Bayonetta (great game) and started Dark Souls a couple days ago.
But anyway...
v5vA3.jpg
e8l3H.jpg
h9Cgr.jpg

Been sticking with this team for a long time. I need to get better with Strider though.

Darksim

A terrible person I am, then! How many of those have to be off the list to be not-terrible? I might open Resident Evil 1 for Halloween.

RE1 did not age well. You can try REmake if you want. RE4 for the most part isn't much of a horror game, but barring you can accept this you might realize it's probably the best game of last gen.

Go play Metroid Prime. Now. This is also a contender for best game of last gen. It's incredible.

I couldn't stand MP3 though, it didn't even feel like a Metroid game anymore.

You can dislike Half-Life, if you want. I never really went that nuts over it, but it is an incredibly well designed game that deserves the praise it gets.

I don't know how to start someone on Metal Gear, go listen to Dahbomb or whatever. At least give it a try.

What really kills me is how you never played a DMC game. If you're going to Vergil everyone in UMvC3 at least go experience the origin of getting Vergil'ed. I can't even conceive how someone could not like this game.

In summation: Play RE4/MP1/DMC3 and you will no longer be a terrible person.

One day I think I will play through the original Bioshock.

I got bored 2/3's of the way through. Never finished. Never cared. The concept and design of Rapture is incredible though. I didn't really enjoy killing enemies in various ways in a game where you kill enemies in various ways. I don't know how else to put it.

There's this cool google document GAF members have been making that lists things to practice for Dante, and some other characters. Might be a bit daunting for Dante though, he had like a page and a half of stuff. Anyone got that link to that?

And to get good at this game, you gotta play online more. This is a game of bullshit, and you've got to learn to spot it and deal with it. And then steal those ideas for your own.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6ZlyTzSEFDeV3gyVHMzOUtqbjQ/edit?pli=1
Is this the one? AzureJericho was nice enough to piece it together, although it's still a work in progress.

I'm finally going to put some effort into playing matches in this game. I've played it on and off messing around in training room but of course nothing translates into actual matches. I get blown up in those.

I've really been digging Viper/X/Dante shell. I play with viper most often so I'm most comfortable with her. Never really played Dante but I like the jam session assist. I gotta get BnBs and move sets with him.

Funny, I'm in a similar situation, right down to picking Dante for Jam Session. Having that Google Doc is nice, although I haven't gotten around to reading all of it myself.

I didn't get a chance to share my teams with you all in the last OT, but there's no time like the present.

Main Team:
wM5PQ.jpg
BDAQK.jpg
tzAdm.jpg

Pocket Team (that I still don't know how to use):
92Usu.jpg
ALPRB.jpg
Dy5lL.jpg

And something I threw together from the last OT:
MmjyO.jpg
3ShA1.jpg
tmZ7J.jpg

I've gotten so much mileage out of the last team, it's ridiculous - and frustrating, considering that it's gotten me farther than the other two I actually practice with.

LakeEarth

That's it, thanks! I love the idea of people coming up with a "training regimen" for different characters, as I am usually lost when I go to training mode.

The Dante one is a little daunting though.

Chavelo

Time to show off my teams, I guess...

Team KILL.DESTROY.SWAG

zzOZq.jpg
XFg8z.jpg
WeDT2.jpg

Team Serious Mode/DARKNESS, EVERYBODY!/Beam Assist/"FUCK I NEED TO HAVE SOME TIME FOR MYSELF WHEN I'M GOING 0-2 IN THIS TOURNAMENT MATCH... QUICK, CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN! UMMM...GONNA GO WITH THE SAME TEAM... FUCK! I WISH I KNEW OTHER CHARACTERS RIGHT NOW! FUCK IT, JUST PICK A DIFFERENT COLOR!"

WhzxY.jpg
YsIb6.jpg
Dl26f.jpg

Team "GODDAMN IT, THE OTHER GUY ALREADY HAS BLACK DOOM/BOT! ARGGHHHHHHH-!!" *POPS VEIN, SEES RED, CHOOSES RED*

dAo5B.jpg
fdOzJ.jpg
EABXv.jpg

Yeah, I don't really have alts :p

Azure J

That's it, thanks! I love the idea of people coming up with a "training regimen" for different characters, as I am usually lost when I go to training mode.

The Dante one is a little daunting though.

Really, after a certain point, the training regimen in that one became more about understanding how to make the most of his flexibility. If you want, I could highlight the core things for just playing him versus styling with him. :p

This also reminds me that I need more of you guys to donate some stuff to the regimen for other characters in the cast.

JeTmAn81

My fallback team is Wesker/Dante/Strider, but I've been trying to get up on Magneto and Vergil, so lately I've been playing combinations like Vergil/Dante/Magneto, Vergil/Dante/Strider, Wesker/Dante/Magneto. I've always got my longtime alternates of Hulk/Deadpool/Doom and Taskmaster/Dante/Hawkeye, as well.

Azure J

I'm a little upset with myself that I missed seeing you do work at Season's Beatings on your stream Sixfortyfive. :p

That being said, think you'd like to donate to the Felicia Training Regimen? :p

LakeEarth

Any basic tips for Taskmaster's neutral game, zoning, and pressure? I use Hawkeye in second slot, but I'm thinking of switching to Task to add 100-200k to my DHC. Plus I always enjoy learning new characters.

From online, jumping S is amazing, zoning is always a good idea, good wave dashing, and charging star is his "bullshit" go to move.

Nemesis training regiment:
- relaunch combos (s.S MMH delayed df tentacle, s.S MMHS dash rockets)
- tiger knee rockets assist infinite
- kara (c.H) command throws
- dash before rocket hyper
- never level 3

That's all I got.

Chavelo

Welp... That went well...

I'll see you guys in a month. Add me on XBL and PSN @ ADChavelo if you want to do some UMVC3 sets. Take care.

Dahbomb

Sounds like he asked a mod to ban him for a specific period of time. That would be my guess, I have seen people do this when they want to take a break from GAF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wait what, people are randomly getting banned now? Chavelo doesn't seem the type to get banned and someone must've dissed Zelda HARD to make Anth0ny act up.

what's going on
someone link me to the ban bait so I can avoid it
oh god I'm afraid to post at all
they won't take me back I wont let them!!!

Azure J

From what I can see, Anthony was banned from a bit before Season's Beatings for a joke "Bayonetta on Wii U" troll post. Chavelo might be a self-ban for a bit as Dah stated but anything more is between him and the mods.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From what I can see, Anthony was banned from a bit before Season's Beatings for a joke "Bayonetta on Wii U" troll post. Chavelo might be a self-ban for a bit as Dah stated but anything more is between him and the mods.
His post doesn't imply a self-ban though, that's the weird thing.

People already catching bodies in the OT3, damn.

wait what, people are randomly getting banned now? Chavelo doesn't seem the type to get banned and someone must've dissed Zelda HARD to make Anth0ny act up.

what's going on
someone link me to the ban bait so I can avoid it
oh god I'm afraid to post at all
they won't take me back I wont let them!!!

No idea for Chavelo, but Anthony made an (at the time) obvious troll/sarcastic remark in the bayo 2 thread.

Really, after a certain point, the training regimen in that one became more about understanding how to make the most of his flexibility. If you want, I could highlight the core things for just playing him versus styling with him. :p

This also reminds me that I need more of you guys to donate some stuff to the regimen for other characters in the cast.

That'd be cool with me. I'm not ready to style yet. Far from it.

shaowebb

I've actually decided to play through ALL the mainline Final Fantasy games, I'm playing FF6 right now. It's very good, quite polished.

Let's see... First page of OT3, gotta say something Marvel...

I still need someone to draw me an epic picture of Gene and Iron Fist giving the manliest brofist in the universe

On the "to do " list as of now :)

Team We're #1 (named for badassery and their 1st appearance colours. Dat XMen Evolution <3). Now and until I stop playing this game. Could also be known as New Avengers. Word to Ash Ketchum, this is the best team in the game.

Setups I feel it can't fight: A-Grade Morridoom. A+-Grade Point Haggar. End of list.

aKEQ7.jpg
VlJU8.jpg
Mpec2.jpg

THEEEEEE AVEN-GERS (shoutouts to Data East). My B-Team.

gArP3.jpg
DijNJ.jpg
bknR0.jpg

Also, Canada Cup is in 3 weeks...I've got work to do, but I'm feeling pretty good.

Top Bottom