• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

LegoDad

If you guys could a compile a list of all the questions that are still not answered or you want looked into, I can pass the list on for feedback.

Thanks!

synce

When playing disc-based games on PS4, do I need to install data to the hard drive?

Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.

All my hype for next-gen pretty much died after reading this. One of my biggest problems with the PS3 was when you buy a new game it can take up to an hour before you actually play it, by which time I don't even feel like it anymore.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
All my hype for next-gen pretty much died after reading this. One of my biggest problems with the PS3 was when you buy a new game it can take up to an hour before you actually play it, by which time I don't even feel like it anymore.

Do you understand the difference between caching and installing?

Caching saves as you access so that you can access the same things faster. It's like going to a web site like neogaf over and over. You don't load everything every time you click a page from the server. You are using things on your hard drive which you've already downloaded.

You don't need to do a full install for every game. Initially we will see more games require an install just as we did on ps3 but as time goes on more games won't need to have huge install processes and will cache as you go along in the game. Some games might require a minimum amount on a hard drive before you play depending on the game.

It depends on how the game is programmed

androvsky

If you guys could a compile a list of all the questions that are still not answered or you want looked into, I can pass the list on for feedback.

Thanks!
Would love to know if PS1/PS2 games will be added later, either PSN Classics or discs. Also, there's a giant question of how games will be organized in the UI. As I recall, it took a very long time before we got folders on the PS3. And how about managing the download list properly? What's with the mystery library icon?

So the FAQ says:

I currently have a PS3 Slim that just fits to the right/underneath my TV, and its dimensions are 290 X 65 X 290 mm.

100_4538.jpg

Since all the exhaust ports are in the back of the PS4, I think I will put it where the PS3 Slim is so that the hot air ahs more room to move, and is not blowing on to the back panel of the entertainment center.

PS4-Back.jpg

I approve of the movie being watched.

Ka1ciuM

Neo Member
OOOOOOH Sony What have you done...My bro threw a major rage fit about the lack of Sub-Account upgrade which really makes no sense to me either. He's had his own PS3 for last 3 years but I have to buy PSN credit when he needs it.

The whole "Just create a new account" response is a BIG FU to all the hardcore gamers that have supported Sony.

Jburton

Banned
OOOOOOH Sony What have you done...My bro threw a major rage fit about the lack of Sub-Account upgrade which really makes no sense to me either. He's had his own PS3 for last 3 years but I have to buy PSN credit when he needs it.

The whole "Just create a new account" response is a BIG FU to all the hardcore gamers that have supported Sony.

It's really not, to you maybe but everyone?

Your projecting.

Scuderia

So, am i right in thinking that i won't be able to use my Astro A40's for voice until they bring out a new chat cable to connect to the pad?

I was discussing with someone else about the audio. What would I need for that?
Well, that's going to be trickier. If you're using a home theater system (receiver), then you'll need to use your optical out port. Whatever you use to output audio will have to use this optical out port. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like Sony has kept people like you in mind. :-(

8byte

Banned

It installs while you play, not like PS3. So load times will be a little longer the first time, but no long initial wait.

Hexa

Via reddit/PS4

65 foot range of DS4. Can buy PS3.2.1 games from Store of PS4

cFEKZm2.jpg

Why would you download games you can't play onto the PS4? o_O

"Music and pictures in various slide show styles" ?

Also never really understood the 'PS4 will predict the game they want to play next and automatically download it' thing. :/

Varth

Thanks!

The FAQ mentions BT third party headsets as not compatible, and SPECIFIC first party ones as compatible. What about first party BT ones that aren't mentioned explicitly, like this one?

SOCOM_PS3_Bluetooth_headset_1.jpg

EDIT: sorry, I may have read too much between the lines: are you in Sony or what? Who are you passing those to?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
A few additional tidbits were released via a livestream for retail employees yesterday:

Pulse support
The reality is this, that our PS line of headsets at launch unfortunately will not work. It was just due to resource issues we couldn't make it happen. At PS we strive to make sure that everything is a perfect experience and it wasn't perfect. The good news is we're fixing it, it's nearly done. We will see it roll out in NA just after the 1st of the year, so not too far away. Everybody will be able to play games just fine in the meantime. Only a month - a month and a half away.

Future headsets
We are investing heavily in headsets. We believe that headsets are an integral part to having that immersive experience on PS4. So you are going to see some new technology coming in the not too distant future that's really going to make you excited to use PS headsets. I'll leave it at that.

Voice commands
The magic word is 'Playstation'. Playstation starts listening and you can then just tell it 'Surf the web'; you can say 'Play Knack'.

Controller colors
Expect controllers to come, it wouldn't be PS if we didn't. I can't tell you which colors are coming, but we're making some cool stuff... I see some people are saying 'Red and blue yeah we've seen those in Europe', yup Europe has red and blue. *shakes his head and laughs* It doesn't mean we won't have them here, but be more excited. There is more than just red and blue, there is some cool stuff coming.

Remotes
Right now there is no media remote that we have licensed or are working on at this time. There's plans for more in the future, but nothing day 1.

Game audio via DS4
It's actually really easy, you can choose if you want full game sound and chat or just chat. All you do is hold down the PS button, pulls up a little thing that says 'Adjust your devices', you adjust the device to whichever volume you want, if you want the chat or the full game sound.

Multiple headsets
Yes and of course you can can connect 4 Dualshocks of which they can all be connected to a headset.

KillerAJD

A few additional tidbits we're released via a livestream for retail employees yesterday:

Pulse support

Future headsets

Voice commands

Controller colors

Remotes

Game audio via DS4

Multiple headsets
Haha, it was kinda funny how excited he got when he was talking about "future headsets". Can't wait to see their take on the Oculus.

Killthee

Haha, it was kinda funny how excited he got when he was talking about "future headsets". Can't wait to see their take on the Oculus.
Yeah he was very giddy when they were brought up. I hope we get some details soon for them.

Bishop89

You are misunderstanding it.

You dont have to wait for the thing to finish to start playing.

KillerAJD

So buying a Pulse for the PS4 would be a bad idea considering it isn't supported at launch and they are working on a replacement.
Ooh have they said they are working on a new one? Was considering a set of these once the PS4 was updated to support them.
It didn't sound like he was talking about an upgrade audio wise. IIRC, he specifically said "headsets", and gave off the vibe of it being more than just headphones.

Killthee

So, am i right in thinking that i won't be able to use my Astro A40's for voice until they bring out a new chat cable to connect to the pad?
Hope it'll work off the bat, it's nothing special in the setup and my understanding was most headsets are fine.
The day 1 patch, firmware 1.50, adds USB headset support.

4LpjsMX.png

Ooh have they said they are working on a new one? Was considering a set of these once the PS4 was updated to support them.
The director for peripheral marketing teased new headsets coming soon in a chat meant for retail workers. The way he talked about them though makes it sound like he was teasing VR headsets instead of just audio headsets:

We are investing heavily in headsets. We believe that headsets are an integral part to having that immersive experience on PS4. So you are going to see some new technology coming in the not too distant future that's really going to make you excited to use PS headsets. I'll leave it at that.

I was under the assumption that all you need is a 3.5mm mic connector on your headset. for example this plug next to the controller icon on my xp300s would work for chat.

I know this is a 2.5mm plug but an adapter will fix that

Thank fuck Pulse was built with optional wire. Should hold me over till patch is ready. Will wait for white/ps1 grey ds4 controllers. Pleaseeeee make it happen.

Sucks we won't see the ps4eye OS features till launch. Hopefully it's not half baked.

Voice commands

That would be really neat if you can actually say the name of a game to launch it (instead of having to navigate to it first and then say "start game"). Don't have to search for a game anymore, just say the name of the game that's on your mind right now.
But I wonder how well it will be implemented (will they constantly update a list of games? only first party? Some games have names you might to pronounce correctly especially if you're not a native English speaker (combine that with them handing out multiple language support day one).

"PS4" as the magic word would have been less tacky imo

goonergaz

The day 1 patch, firmware 1.50, adds USB headset support.

4LpjsMX.png

The director for peripheral marketing teased new headsets coming soon in a chat meant for retail workers. The way he talked about them though makes it sound like he was teasing VR headsets instead of just audio headsets:

many thanks - I knew I saw it somewhere...was just beginning to panic a bit!

onken

Has it been answered if they will continue the cross/circle confirm/cancel differences across regions? Would be great if there was a setting for this.

Cartman86

Banned
That would be really neat if you can actually say the name of a game to launch it (instead of having to navigate to it first and then say "start game"). Don't have to search for a game anymore, just say the name of the game that's on your mind right now.
But I wonder how well it will be implemented (will they constantly update a list of games? only first party? Some games have names you might to pronounce correctly especially if you're not a native English speaker (combine that with them handing out multiple language support day one).

"PS4" as the magic word would have been less tacky imo

I would assume if they designed it correctly there would just be a simple file created with a list of every game installed on the PS4 that the voice recognition can reference. But yeah you need to be able to use this from any menu for it to be useful.

jwk94

Yes and of course you can can connect 4 Dualshocks of which they can all be connected to a headset.
yes!! So happy we finally have this feature. Now if there could be a way for everyone to chat through Private Chat together, that would be great.

That's where PlayGo steps in

Hopefully all developers utilize this.

Naudi

Banned
I'm sure it says somewhere but will I be able to surf the web while playing in a game? Or will I have to exit game like on ps3?

Hexa

I'm sure it says somewhere but will I be able to surf the web while playing in a game? Or will I have to exit game like on ps3?

You can essentially alttab a game and the web browser. They demonstrated that at some show in Asia. I want to say it was Taiwan but I don't remember completely.

Anybody else having problems playing videos out of the 'what's new' feed on the PS4?

Anytime I click on a video in the feed, I get to a screen with an icon of a piece of film with an arrow pointing out of the corner, but there's no way to actually play the video.

This wasn't an issue a week or two ago (can't remember the last time I actually went into the feed and looked for videos).

Kinda sucks to have one of the cooler features unavailable. Any suggestions?

Anybody else having problems playing videos out of the 'what's new' feed on the PS4?

Anytime I click on a video in the feed, I get to a screen with an icon of a piece of film with an arrow pointing out of the corner, but there's no way to actually play the video.

This wasn't an issue a week or two ago (can't remember the last time I actually went into the feed and looked for videos).

Kinda sucks to have one of the cooler features unavailable. Any suggestions?
I think this is an issue with privacy settings. If they video is uploaded to Facebook and set as only visible to friends, it's only visible to Facebook friends, not psn friends, so you won't be able to see them.

Top Bottom