• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

Vizzeh

Banned
They already uploaded both update (308Mb) and restore (800Mb+) files by mistake. I got both just in case PSN goes down under load.

Really does it still work, wheres the link? I may pre-download if still available.

Can Remote Play work outside the user’s home network?
We strongly recommend that Remote Play be used within the same WiFi network where the PS4 system is connected. Remote Play may or may not work over a wide area network. For Remote Play to function over a wide area network, a robust and stable WiFi connection and broadband Internet connection is required, and the local area network where the PS4 system is connected must be configured to permit the PS Vita system to access the PS4 system

Non-latency Based Games at work while PS4 is in the house....confirmed :D (fast internet required-Fibre likely)

Absinthe

If the ps4 OS was a carbon copy of the one on ps3 I would agree but they no doubt rebuilt it for x86 usage and practically none of the code they worked on the past 10 years is useful.

It depends on what your expectations are and what Sony laid out for us to expect. I don't think I ever expected exact feature parity to ps3 on day one but I do expect it within the first year or so.

While I agree with you, and if they bring this around in a year that's good, but why not say so in the FAQ? They stated that resume/suspend would be coming up, they should have said the same for these items.

Also, if MS has all these features at launch they switched to an x86 architecture and were able to develop software on par with 360 so that's no excuse.

We will see but it's not as if x86 is some sort of fancy new architecture like CELL. From the standpoint of software, it is much easier to develop for, be it games, applications, or format support.

Some Nobody

just use it to play games ffs... i dont use my ps3 for watching videos or mp3..

Good for you. Adults are talking now.

Am I the only one finding the irony that the games first focused system that was praised upon is getting complaints about its media functionality now?

If Netflix or their music service didn't work either I'd have less to say. This is excluding things that should be basic to get me to spend more money. So anti-consumer you'd think it was Microsoft.

No audio CDs.
No visualizer.
No MP3s.
No media servers.
Possibly no video files?
Can't use my current bluetooth remote.

I'm not happy. I would think that these would be considered very basic features of a modern console. Excluding them is actually very surprising.

I have a PS4 on preorder but this makes me very disappointed. I use my PS3 to stream video from my PC constantly. Sometimes every night. My buddy uses his PS3 every day to play music, look at family pictures. If he heard this news he would ditch the PS4 without question. The PS3 is a great for media, so much so that even my mom has one.

I was thinking that the PS4 would be a replacement for my PS3 but maybe I was mistaken. Perhaps I should wait until they patch in more features. At this point I'd probably still be using my PS3 more than my PS4 it seems, and if that's the case, should I really get the PS4? I'm a total sucker for new tech so it's a hard choice. It seems silly to buy a new console but still use the older one more often.

If it wasn't for Shadow Fall I wouldn't of bothered with this system at launch. You still can't change your ID (ridiculous) and I did not see it listed there but I presume you still after all these years change your location, I got fed up of waiting and made a new account a couple of months ago.

Calibur

Basically sounds like no media function other than bluray/dvd playback.

You can see that from no USB HD support, no DLNA, no visualizer, no MP3 playback. Pretty backwards from PS3 and lame. Cements my decision to not go next gen until further down in the future even more yay.

I never buy consoles Day 1, too many issues, with the first batch consoles, and all the best games come out next year ....no rush needed at all!

Spinluck

What in the fuck does Sony have to lose by allowing us to change usernames or change sub accounts to master accounts?

Do they not want it to be easier for us to give them our money?

Some Nobody

I'm not disputing the merits or benefits. I just find the irony extremely amusing.

The thing is, I'd be right there with you if they were consistent. If the FAQ said "sorry, we only play games right now", then I'd laugh at the outrage. But they HAVE media functions...but only the ones they want us to have, not the ones we actually want.

EvB

What in the fuck does Sony have to lose by allowing us to change usernames or change sub accounts to master accounts?

They could have done something super lame like building the databases around the username as opposed to a UID and now you can never change you name.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do we even know where Sony stands with app development? If Sony was open about that I'd be happier. Let someone develop a xbmc or plex client for PS4.

It would be genius if an indie dev made a 'game' as a backdoor to a fully fledged media centre. They would probably sell a lot of copies (if it got through cert).

It sucks, but we don't really know the specifics of how the system works. Many publishers allow linking accounts with your PSN and it's possible Sony wasn't very forward thinking and directly used the usernames for linking. I would hope it's not that bad, but we can't really say what limitations might be preventing it, if any.

Absinthe

No audio CDs.
No visualizer.
No MP3s.
No media servers.
Possibly no video files?

I'm not happy. I would think that these would be considered very basic features of a modern console. Excluding them is actually very surprising.

I have a PS4 on preorder but this makes me very disappointed. I use my PS3 to stream video from my PC constantly. Sometimes every night. My buddy uses his PS3 every day to play music, look at family pictures. If he heard this news he would ditch the PS4 without question. The PS3 is a great for media, so much so that even my mom has one.

I was thinking that the PS4 would be a replacement for my PS3 but maybe I was mistaken. Perhaps I should wait until they patch in more features. At this point I'd probably still be using my PS3 more than my PS4 it seems, and if that's the case, should I really get the PS4? I'm a total sucker for new tech so it's a hard choice. It seems silly to buy a new console but still use the older one more often.

I'm right there with you. My PS3 is basically my media center and streams my entire library of MP3's and Video files from my home server. I was hoping to replace the PS3 with the PS4 and now I cannot.

You should still buy it, as I will, and I believe Sony will come through, this is just crazy given the current PS3 featureset.

I never buy consoles Day 1, too many issues, with the first batch consoles, and all the best games come out next year ....no rush needed at all!

I'm thinking you're more right than I want you to be. I want the shiny new tech now! But maybe I should work on my backlog. I don't even own The Last of Us yet...

No audio CDs.
No visualizer.
No MP3s.
No media servers.
Possibly no video files?

meh right now mp3 is dead to me..its so much easier to just stream via pandora or spotify..and if you really want to stream music while playing games people probably have a sound system for that and all you need is dock your phone..as long it playes netflix I am set :)

Kssio_Aug

No audio CDs.
No visualizer.
No MP3s.
No media servers.
Possibly no video files?

I cand understand that is not everyones case. But I particullary am not that upset, because I use my PS3 just for gaming.

With the gaming features already confirmed + Netflix + Pule Elite Headset support (that seems to be updated later) Im satisfied.

Also, I trully believe they will add some of that features later... and much of them may not take long. I think theyre just focusing at the gaming experience first, to add to media funcitons later.

wizzbang

Banned
I suspected as much. I expect the console to have a LOT more features by this time next year.

People decrying the whiners (and yourself) - the problem isn't that the features aren't there, the problem is that from the wording of the FAQ (in multiple places, INCLUDING PS3 B/Compat via Gaikai) - seemingly this stuff isn't anticipated.

There's no "We look forward to introducing more" marketing speak or "We shall endeavour to continue to improve" blah blah - it's very straight up "nope" "nut" "nah" "sorry lol" hence people being concerned.

Lime

Well at least many of these things can be fixed with software updates. The hardware still remains capable and easy to develop for, so there's that I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

you probably shouldn't be considering switching your PS3 out instantly for a PS4, regardless of what media the PS4 plays. It'll take a while for the PS4 to get up to speed with the firmware - that's just the nature of things. Why not just start that transition with games, and keep using your PS3 for media and then over time you can move across?

If you really like the streaming stuff though, you could look into a cheap roku box? Ideal for that kind of stuff

Calibur

I'm thinking you're more right than I want you to be. I want the shiny new tech now! But maybe I should work on my backlog. I don't even own The Last of Us yet...

I yet haven't got The Last of Us, due to long hours at work, i have a crazy back log of games and due to no backwards compatibility that i can only play of my PS3

The PS4 FAQ, has just made my PS3 feel like a next gen console, with all my media streaming and bluetooth features.

They could have done something super lame like building the databases around the username as opposed to a UID and now you can never change you name.

Exactly- the reason is almost certainly that their database is set up in a way that makes the ability to change your username very difficult to implement- not impossible, but it would take a shitload of programmer time, meaning they'd have to push back features that are more valuable than display name changing.

We found out how competent the original PSN programmers were when the PSN hack happened, so a boneheaded decision like that in the data model shouldn't surprise anybody.

I wonder if it's worth upgrading the HDD to a 7200 RPM one now, or just waiting a couple years and throwing a good sized SSD in there. I'm not going to buy anything before this stuff get's tested out by someone else, but I'm still curious.

satam55

Banned
Anybody spreading the FUD that the PS4 won't support video files can stop. The PS4 has to support H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2, AAC, & etc codecs for Blu-rays, DVDs, Video Unlimited, & etc.

The thing is, I'd be right there with you if they were consistent. If the FAQ said "sorry, we only play games right now", then I'd laugh at the outrage. But they HAVE media functions...but only the ones they want us to have, not the ones we actually want.

Who defines which ones "we" want or don't want? Everyone has their own use case scenario. For many, they won't care about MP3s or DLNA but they will want Netflix. What is to be consistent about? They have some media functionality but not others. Just like the Xbox One has its own set of media functionality. It still doesn't change the irony of how the Xbox One was blasted for having many media capabilities and not focused on games, but now suddenly the PS4 is disappointing some because they don't support the media functionality they wanted.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Well look at it this this way: If the PS3 was still using its original firmware when it launched, then it would be the shittiest system ever. The PS4 firmware is gonna be constantly updated so its just a matter of time. Early adopters are always the beta testers.

njean777

Weird that they are missing mp3, but I never use my console for any of this stuff so hopefully it comes later, but right now it isn't a huge bother for me.

VillageBC

I'm right there with you. My PS3 is basically my media center and streams my entire library of MP3's and Video files from my home server. I was hoping to replace the PS3 with the PS4 and now I cannot.

You should still buy it, as I will, and I believe Sony will come through, this is just crazy given the current PS3 featureset.

I disagree that you should buy it based on a hope. Sony hasn't exactly a history of being benevolent. I'm in the same boat though.
My PS3 is my media centre. I assumed the PS4 would take over that duty. That at launch isn't in the cards and without a quick reversal one cancelled order coming up.

Not till Monday when theyve had a chance to reverse course. They need damage control time.

wizzbang

Banned
I swore the only requirements stated were 9.5mm and at least 160GB. You can look forward to my side by side of a stock PS4 drive vs a 1TB SSD on the 16th.

Unless someone beats me to it.

Good work dude, Samsung Evo I take it? I was going to do this but I dunno now, I kinda have a spare 256 lying around, play disc based games and don't download much - plus I play single player 1 or 2 games at a time. I figure a 256gb drive will still last me 12 to 18 months.
Then I'll get the Evo 1TB for only $300 :)

Have to say I do not care about mp3 support as I own none. Same for CD:s. But DLNA streaming is what i would miss. Omission of any of these is kinda stupid.
None of these are deal brakers for me, not even close. But I do not have even moneyz for ps4 so sucks for those who care.

Quasar

Anybody spreading the FUD that the PS4 won't support video files can stop. The PS4 has to support H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2, AAC, & etc codecs for Blu-rays, DVDs, Video Unlimited, & etc.

All that doesn't mean it will play your own media files. It might not even have a player for that. Hell maybe thats why it can't play mp3s.

wizzbang

Banned

It's software, that can actually be fixed - it's not small work, none of the stuff in this thread is but it's certainly possible.

wizzbang

Banned
Much of this is probably due to the streaming support. Allowing people to broadcast unlicensed music is a great way to get yourself sued.

Very insightful post and probably right.
I don't care about playing music over games (the very idea I find horrible, insulting to developers infact) but I also couldn't care less about streaming.

I'm fucking bummed my SSD will be permanently thrashed with idiot video recording that I have 0 interest in. This fucking streaming fad, I just don't get it.

nib95

Banned
I need it to play video files. I use my PS3 to play movie files, mpeg4, xvid etc via USB stick. If PS4 can't do that I'll be royally pissed off. Anyone confirm whether it can or can't?

Not playing MP3s is stupid too.

Vizzeh

Banned
Very insightful post and probably right.
I don't care about playing music over games (the very idea I find horrible, insulting to developers infact) but I also couldn't care less about streaming.

I'm fucking bummed my SSD will be permanently thrashed with idiot video recording that I have 0 interest in. This fucking streaming fad, I just don't get it.

Yeah personally would like to see all resources used for Games, I think theres a seperate chip handling the video streaming? Im guessing the SSD wont support Trim, regardless im looking forward to chucking an SSD in, cant wait to see it fly :D

Top Bottom