• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be played on X360 at EVO2015

makes no sense for them to have switched. Most pro players are used to the 360 version.

Unless they planned to make a perfect port on PS4 they never should have mentioned evo. It's a real shit show.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, Sony paid somebody to port it. Same thing in my eyes.

If sony actually had their own people on it, they sure as hell would not have had it turn out like that i'm sure.

Let's not forget that their fuck up was infact their cheap ass choice of dev for the port.

UNLESS one wants to say that Other Ocean was not the faulty party at all and it was Sony entirely to blame for the fuck up for potentially rushing Other Ocean to completion of the port before the SF4 tourneys(although we have no real confirmation of this one)

Skilletor

If sony actually had their own people on it, they sure as hell would not have had it turn out like that i'm sure.

Let's not forget that their fuck up was infact their cheap ass choice of dev for the port.

UNLESS one wants to say that Other Ocean was not the faulty party at all and it was Sony entirely to blame for the fuck up for potentially rushing Other Ocean to completion of the port before the SF4 tourneys(although we have no real confirmation of this one)

But they didn't. They pawned it off. Both are responsible in my eyes, but ultimately Sony's choice resulted in Other Ocean getting the work in the first place, they're more to blame (again, for me).

Sony made the choice to go cheap. Other Ocean is a cheap dev, you get what you pay for.

Syntsui

The only one not responsible here is Capcom IMO. They never intended this to be released, Sony stepped up and funded it by outsourcing to another company. Simple as that.

Should Capcom have supervisioned everything? That would be great but they are most likely busy with they or own projects. It was not their responsibility, PERIOD.

Edzi

The only one not responsible here is Capcom IMO. They never intended this to be released, Sony stepped up and funded it by outsourcing to another company. Simple as that.

Should Capcom have supervisioned everything? That would be great but they are most likely busy with they or own projects. It was not their responsibility, PERIOD.

How is their IP not their responsibility?

Skilletor

I dunno. Capcom is partially to blame, sure. But, if they wanted the port, or could have budgeted the port, they would have done so themselves. They didn't have the time, money, or inclination to do it. Sony wanted it, so they paid for it to happen.

Maybe Capcom should have been more hands on, but that costs money, and we all know Capcom is in dire straights right now. So yeah, some of the blame falls at Capcom's door, but for me, it's a minimal amount.

wait... are you guys serious about capcom not having the time, budget or whatever to make a port of SF4 themselves.

The same company that has DMC:Definitive Edition, DMC4: Special Edition, RE1 HD, RE0 HD, and RE4 HD?

Are you serious? Hell yes they wanted a next gen port of SF4. Its one of their biggest franchises.

Skilletor

wait... are you guys serious about capcom not having the time, budget or whatever to make a port of SF4 themselves.

The same company that has DMC:Definitive Edition, DMC4: Special Edition, RE1 HD, RE0 HD, and RE4 HD?

Are you serious? Hell yes they wanted a next gen port of SF4. Its one of their biggest franchises.

If they wanted it, it would have been done, imo. Huge difference in porting all of those games, save RE4, I guess. Most of those haven't seen a release in a console generation or more. DMC:Definitive edition was handled by Ninja Theory, right?

But whatever. Pointless discussion. Nobody knows the logistics of the port, only the end result. Everybody comes out looking bad with the way things turned out.

If she is cis, there is no "mistery about her gender". There is no mistery about Chun Li, there isn't even a mistery about Makoto. Hell, there isn't even a mistery about Seth and he isn't even human !

She is female either way, being cis or trans

I am not trying to take away one of the few representations you have on the media

You said facts, so deal with the facts

I dont even know what a cis is.

Poison is natural female to me. So yea deal with the facts.

GorillaJu

This really is a topic for another thread, but I just don't think a female mook who was then retconned into being transgender so you can beat her up without feeling bad is a good representation of transgender women. I'm not fighting for that representation, even though I'm totally in favor of more transgender or ambiguous gender characters.

Blackage

This really is a topic for another thread, but I just don't think a female mook who was then retconned into being transgender so you can beat her up without feeling bad is a good representation of transgender women. I'm not fighting for that representation, even though I'm totally in favor of more transgender or ambiguous gender characters.

When it comes to transgender characters in video games, Poison stands above all the rest, she immediately springs to mind. She is the representation of a minority that has little to no representation in games, and she's a pretty cool and sexy character to boot. She was not retconned, she has and always was transgendered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj-9npanOI

Capcom gave straight males worried about their sexuality a safe out so they can find her attractive while ignoring most of the facts/history about the character that say otherwise. Personally I find it idiotic that Capcom did this when it was the perfect time to just set the record straight, but the debate will come up again the next time Poison is included in a game so it's whatever.

I-hate-u

Sony put their word behind it that it was the definitive version, and it wasn't. Far from it. And comments like this before release,

I’d love to get it to you sooner, but honestly, we’re playing it too much, so you’ll just have to wait!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/17/ultra-street-fighter-iv-hits-ps4-on-may-26th/

really disturbs me. I haven't played the game admittatly, but people were reporting problems within hours of release. C'mon, it's not right. They are to blame.

Arklite

Since it seems they commissioned it, you'd think Sony most of all would've been more cautious of garbage port jobs. Big waste.

Maligna

Banned
I dont even know what a cis is.

Poison is natural female to me. So yea deal with the facts.

The facts in your brain that you made up? Please watch the video that's been posted a couple times now. It contains the actual facts and evidence that lead most people to the logical conclusion that Poison is a trans woman.

Also, can I ask why you want Poison to be genetically female, when there are so many of them in the game already? Cis females aren't really hurting for representation anymore in Street Fighter.

Castef

Banned
I dunno. Capcom is partially to blame, sure. But, if they wanted the port, or could have budgeted the port, they would have done so themselves. They didn't have the time, money, or inclination to do it. Sony wanted it, so they paid for it to happen.

Maybe Capcom should have been more hands on, but that costs money, and we all know Capcom is in dire straights right now. So yeah, some of the blame falls at Capcom's door, but for me, it's a minimal amount.

So... Just to be clear... Is there anyone in this topic which actually believes that without Sony Capcom would not have ported USFIV on next-gen consoles or even developed Street Fighter V?

The facts in your brain that you made up? Please watch the video that's been posted a couple times now. It contains the actual facts and evidence that lead most people to the logical conclusion that Poison is a trans woman.

Also, can I ask why you want Poison to be genetically female, when there are so many of them in the game already? Cis females aren't really hurting for representation anymore in Street Fighter.

I don't need the video, I already saw it ages ago. I grew up playing Final Fight in the arcades and the SNES version. The times didn't accept violence against females in videogame games. Then we have the current stance that Capcom has on the character. This is a fictional character.

So again please stop trying to change my opinion since I'm not trying to change yours. Now I won't derail this thread anymore. PM me if you would like to continue this.

roknin

So... Just to be clear... Is there anyone in this topic which actually believes that without Sony Capcom would not have ported USFIV on next-gen consoles or even developed Street Fighter V?

They wouldn't have made the port, for sure., and definitely not to make said port the competitive standard. Capcom at this point had little reason to, the audience is already built up on previous systems and now on PC.

SFV is happening now due to Sony backing. It would have happened eventually, but the deal with Sony accelerated it.

An Ultra port was likely part of that negotiation.

Considering that Capcom was not doing fantastic financially for a while, I believe it.

Obviously this is all guesswork since I wasn't in the conference room where all this was inked, but it's also pretty logical.

Either way, Capcom should have been paying more attention to the port, and none of the parties involved should have been trying to rush it out the door on the cheap. After all-but abandoning Mega Man, they are putting RE, SF and MH as their central pillars. They can NOT be that nonchalant about one of their bread'n'butter IPs.

All three look bad in this case, but at the end of the day it lies on the doorstep of Other Ocean, for doing apparently shoddy work.

Syntsui

How is their IP not their responsibility?

They didn't fucking developed nor supervised it. This version is not their responsability, they delegated that to Sony. Sony with this responsability chose a bunch of incompetents to develop it. That's the story.

Capcoms IP, Capcom takes the fault. What kind of company doesn't do any quality checking on it's own branded products.

Capcom delegated Sony, Sony delegated a company, company delegated its employees ect..

They didn't fucking developed nor supervised it. This version is not their responsibility, they delegated that to Sony. Sony with this responsibility chose a bunch of incompetents to develop it. That's the story.

Well maybe Capcom should start supervising its own IPs? Its Capcom brand on the line here, not Sony.

Also you're talking as if they had no idea what was going on, I'm sure Capcom was aware the company that developing the port and it's reputation. They had every chance to say no.

RobRSG

They didn't fucking developed nor supervised it. This version is not their responsability, they delegated that to Sony. Sony with this responsability chose a bunch of incompetents to develop it. That's the story.

It sounds like Sony have solid know-how on fighting games.

I prefer to believe all three are guilty. It makes more sense to me.

Capcom should have kept closer in project. It's their IP in the end. It's like giving a baby to a 3 year old kid to take care.

They wouldn't have made the port, for sure., and definitely not to make said port the competitive standard. Capcom at this point had little reason to, the audience is already built up on previous systems and now on PC.

SFV is happening now due to Sony backing. It would have happened eventually, but the deal with Sony accelerated it.

An Ultra port was likely part of that negotiation.

Considering that Capcom was not doing fantastic financially for a while, I believe it.

Obviously this is all guesswork since I wasn't in the conference room where all this was inked, but it's also pretty logical.

Either way, Capcom should have been paying more attention to the port, and none of the parties involved should have been trying to rush it out the door on the cheap. After all-but abandoning Mega Man, they are putting RE, SF and MH as their central pillars. They can NOT be that nonchalant about one of their bread'n'butter IPs.

All three look bad in this case, but at the end of the day it lies on the doorstep of Other Ocean, for doing apparently shoddy work.

Maybe Capcom had faith in Sony to do a good job? I mean Sony went all out helping to fund SF5 and then wanting to get into the FGC by funding prize pools and making the SF4 port on PS4 the ultimate version AND the official tournament version. While Capcom should have been more involved, I imagine they saw Sony doing what I described and assumed the product was in good hands there and being given the right funding, time and attention to make good on Sony's promises.

In the end, Sony went for what had to have been the lowest cost contractor formed from the ashes of another terrible port house. Sony and its Third Party Productions pretty much said "screw it, we are going to talk big, put on a big show, but pay as little as possible and hope it pays off." And it didn't.

Also, there is no "apparently" with the shoddy work done by Other Ocean. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, shitty work done by Other Ocean. Most comments point to this just being an uprez of the PS3 game, supported with this version sharing the same problems that made the PS3 game the weaker title last gen as well as the start button prompt. When your studio can't even change that, I can only assume what half added work was done. Other Ocean is making HVS look like a top tier developer.

VariantX

Capcom should have kept closer in project. It's their IP in the end. It's like giving a baby to a 3 year old kid to take care.

I agree. Capcom failed to check up on the quality of the product. Sony didn't bother to check Other Ocean's development history and making claims about removing input lag without bothering to see if the product actually did so. Other Ocean is ex-backbone and the products they've made speak for themselves really. I see no reason to divide blame here.

Syntsui

If you put it that way, yes, I agree. They should have supervised it at least to preserve their brand.

In regards to the final product, it has no input from them and they should not be accountable. Their only sin is to trust one of their most important IPs to a bunch of incompetents and for that, yes, they should be exposed.

Skilletor

Port w/o Sony: No.
SF5 w/o Sony: Yes, eventually.

Head.spawn

Port w/o Sony: No.
SF5 w/o Sony: Yes, eventually.

You really think this port wouldn't have eventually happened without Sony?

They are porting every damned game they can think to port. It was only a matter of time before this port happened, and in all likelihood it would have been done right, with AA/AF, with minimal bugs and there would have been an XBO version.

Skilletor

They are porting every damned game they can think to port. It was only a matter of time before this port happened, and in all likelihood it would have been done right, with AA/AF, with minimal bugs and there would have been an XBO version.

If you say so. Didn't happen, so must be a reason.

IIRC, Ono acknowledged the want for a PS4 port but said they didn't have money.
Then Sony stepped in and here we are.

roknin

Maybe Capcom had faith in Sony to do a good job? I mean Sony went all out helping to fund SF5 and then wanting to get into the FGC by funding prize pools and making the SF4 port on PS4 the ultimate version AND the official tournament version. While Capcom should have been more involved, I imagine they saw Sony doing what I described and assumed the product was in good hands there and being given the right funding, time and attention to make good on Sony's promises.

In the end, Sony went for what had to have been the lowest cost contractor formed from the ashes of another terrible port house. Sony and its Third Party Productions pretty much said "screw it, we are going to talk big, put on a big show, but pay as little as possible and hope it pays off." And it didn't.

Also, there is no "apparently" with the shoddy work done by Other Ocean. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, shitty work done by Other Ocean. Most comments point to this just being an uprez of the PS3 game, supported with this version sharing the same problems that made the PS3 game the weaker title last gen as well as the start button prompt. When your studio can't even change that, I can only assume what half added work was done. Other Ocean is making HVS look like a top tier developer.

That's possible, but I guess I'm thinking of it from the perspective of "this is one of our few guaranteed franchises left, we should be careful with it." They can still trust Sony to do their work, but still put some extra QA on it, or at least put a beta test (or even a private test with a few pros) together before launching the definitive, "official tournament standard version that we're riding our whole competitive circuit on" version of their biggest fighting game brand.

Also yeah, "apparently" is probably playing it too safe lol. From all accounts from those that have tested it in the wild, it's FUBAR'd. A patch doesn't seem like enough to fix it, but we'll see.

If Other Ocean really just up-res'd the PS3 version then.... Wow.

xeolleth

Neo Member
This would cause mad rage, and probably not work, but I'd love to see SF5 not allow any keyboard bindings period and hardwire 6 buttons in gameplay to try and reduce/frustrate those folks.

I wouldn't think they'll alienate the players who learn and legitimately play on keyboard though.

Lullius and I are planning on making a hitbox viewer for SFV when it comes out and depending on how the control system works - update the combo trainer to work with it. We'll see how it goes, maybe Capcom will include a hitbox viewer at long last...

Chev

This would cause mad rage, and probably not work, but I'd love to see SF5 not allow any keyboard bindings period and hardwire 6 buttons in gameplay to try and reduce/frustrate those folks.
Can't be enforced, because it's quite possible to make a program that translates keyboard inputs to stick inputs, basically joy2key in reverse, at a level where the game won't be able to tell the difference.

Someone wanna fill me in? Why is this so bad for sony?

It's not a good look for Sony since they're ponying up $500K for the Capcom Pro Tour, and the game will be played on thier competitor's systems.

At the end of the day though, there's still plenty of SF5 promo at these events, with the game being playable at CEO and Evo, so it's not a total loss for them.

HardRojo

Someone wanna fill me in? Why is this so bad for sony?
You don't really need someone to explain why this is bad for Sony. It's pretty easy to understand.

Sony adds money to Capcom Pro tour's prize pool.
Sony decides to port USF4 to PS4 so Capcom Cup uses that version, while promoting the console since SFV is coming next year.
Port ends up being complete crap and unusable for tournament play due to Sony's cheapness.
Capcom decides not to use PS4 as the console for Capcom Pro Tour, not to mention negative word of mouth surrounding the port, which means less sales.

It's not a good look for Sony since they're ponying up $500K for the Capcom Pro Tour, and the game will be played on thier competitor's systems.

At the end of the day though, there's still plenty of SF5 promo at these events, with the game being playable at CEO and Evo, so it's not a total loss for them.
how and why is sony letting this happen? how and why is it unfolding this way?
You don't really need someone to explain why this is bad for Sony. It's pretty easy to understand.

Sony adds money to Capcom Pro tour's prize pool.
Sony decides to port USF4 to PS4 so Capcom Cup uses that version, while promoting the console since SFV is coming next year.
Port ends up being complete crap and unusable for tournament play due to Sony's cheapness.
Capcom decides not to use PS4 as the console for Capcom Pro Tour, not to mention negative word of mouth surrounding the port, which means less sales.
alright, but it's not fully clear to me...like, what went wrong here? I heard that the Ps4 version of usf4 was issue-y, so why not put it on Ps3? why the 360?

HardRojo

how and why is sony letting this happen? how and why is it unfolding this way?alright, but it's not fully clear to me...like, what went wrong here? I heard that the Ps4 version of usf4 was issue-y, so why not put it on Ps3? why the 360?
360 version has been used as the standard for tournaments for some years now. There are differences in performance which favor the 360 version over the PS3 version, that's why they don't run tournaments on PS3 now. (EVO used to run SF4 on PS3 until 2 years ago I believe).

Also, you need to understand Sony advertised the PS4 version as the definitive edition, which it hardly is now that it's out.

how and why is sony letting this happen? how and why is it unfolding this way?alright, but it's not fully clear to me...like, what went wrong here? I heard that the Ps4 version of usf4 was issue-y, so why not put it on Ps3? why the 360?

The current versions of SF4 are pretty much the same outside of frame lag for inputs, the 360 version responds to an input within 4 or so frames while the ps3 version and arcade units have about 5-6 frames, or something along those lines.

This ps4 port which was suppose to be the best version but currently has some of the worst input delay matching the ps3 and arcade, there's slight slowdowns (in the menu system not gameplay) and then there's a few character moves which act completely different for no reason other then being a bad port.

EVO, a big fighting game tournament every year was also going to use the ps4 version but have now gone back to 360 and set it in stone for 2015 even if the ps4 version is patched up and fixed soon.

Sony has big plans with street fighter 5 being console exclusive to ps4 and their choice of paying for a port of SF4 has not gone as planned for them, it also doesn't help when they tweet out stuff about the ps4 port being the best version and they have all been playing it daily, etc.

Csr

The current versions of SF4 are pretty much the same outside of frame lag for inputs

If i remember correctly besides the added input delay there was slowdown(not frequently) in some stages in the ps3 version (at least more frequently than xbox360). It has been a long time though since there was a discussion about it and since i played the ps3 version, i might be remembering wrong.

This ps4 port which was suppose to be the best version but currently has some of the worst input delay matching the ps3 and arcade, there's slight slowdowns (in the menu system not gameplay) and then there's a few character moves which act completely different for no reason other then being a bad port.

It seems the ps4 port has indead more lag then the ps3 port unless i am missing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUau8jXFCs

PS4 TE2 #1 5.816
PS4 TE2 #2 6.383
PS4 TE2 #3 6.445
PS4 DS4 #1 5.766
PS4 DS4 #2 6.199
PS4 DS4 #3 6.216
PS4+PS3 TE 7.020
360 Madcatz Silent 3.212
360 Pad 3.574
PS3 TE 5.533
PS3 DS3 5.162
PS3 Hitbox 5.287

Codiox

Where is the patch???
Seriously, Capcom can go fuck themselves with Street fighter V. I cancelled my preorder because of the mess usf4 is.

Capcom is the one responsible for this shit. They should check the quality of the ports, no one else.

I will wait and get the ultra super version of sf5 maybe used. Lost one customer capcom. Your fucking name is on this.
And many others will only see the name Capcom, not ocean whatever or Sony.

Shadoken

New update is online. Only noticeable difference so far is the menu lag is gone.

Haven't tested input lag and such. Dekappa teleport seems back to normal.

Skilletor

Where is the patch???
Seriously, Capcom can go fuck themselves with Street fighter V. I cancelled my preorder because of the mess usf4 is.

Capcom is the one responsible for this shit. They should check the quality of the ports, no one else.

I will wait and get the ultra super version of sf5 maybe used. Lost one customer capcom. Your fucking name is on this.
And many others will only see the name Capcom, not ocean whatever or Sony.

lol.

Top Bottom