• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UMVC3: Phoenix Wright and Nova Revealed!

Dahbomb

I mean we still have an Arthur with fucking hard knockdown on armor break and no way to renew armor. How much more obvious than that can you get?
Yeah Arthur will always remain "joke" tier in my eyes until he still has hard knockdown after armor break and no way to renew armor. It's clear design that they put on the character to make him shit and be a nostalgic joke. No other character has such crippling handicaps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, at this rate, its only a matter of time until killstreaks and perks are part of fighters. =)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kintaro said:
You know, at this rate, its only a matter of time until killstreaks and perks are part of fighters. =)

Excuse me sir, may you direct me to where I might sign up for my subscription to MAHVEL ELITE today?

Kintaro said:
I guess this would be true if someone's definitition of fighters is "Capcom fighters". There are tons of options and games out there for open minded folks.

Note: Not ragging on Capcom or anything. I'm just stating fact.

Kintaro

Kaijima said:
Excuse me sir, may you direct me to where I might sign up for my subscription to MAHVEL ELITE today?

Hyper Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Hardened Edition

Every month, free cards with new and exciting killstreaks and passives!

Kurtofan

All this gems talk reminded me of something:
SA8js.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really, the new mode sounds great for just messing around. It's a great bonus thing to stick into 3D games, where motions can be stuck onto characters somewhat easily. A couple of new animations for teleports between characters, a new pose for "megacrash" to bring the mechanic within MvC for fun, some really out-of-character goofball animations for various things... sounds like a fun diversion.

Marvel's Updated Version of Dramatic Battle Mode?

If it lets you set up 3 player matches like the Heralds fight from the original, that'd also be fun.

Sounds a lot better than simply "oh. Galactus is playable." Not bad at all.

Chindogg

SAB CA said:
Really, the new mode sounds great for just messing around. It's a great bonus thing to stick into 3D games, where motions can be stuck onto characters somewhat easily. A couple of new animations for teleports between characters, a new pose for "megacrash" to bring the mechanic within MvC for fun, some really out-of-character goofball animations for various things... sounds like a fun diversion.

Marvel's Updated Version of Dramatic Battle Mode?

If it lets you set up 3 player matches like the Heralds fight from the original, that'd also be fun.

Sounds a lot better than simply "oh. Galactus is playable." Not bad at all.

Like I said, it could be worse. You could have an absurdly broken system based on buying DLC in your main game instead of a minor distraction in a side feature.

SolarPowered said:
I guess this would be true if someone's definitition of fighters is "Capcom fighters". There are tons of options and games out there for open minded folks.

Note: Not ragging on Capcom or anything. I'm just stating fact.

You guys are far more knowledgable than I am. I see these new additions as bunch of gimmicks. At least most of them

Kintaro

In the end, I just hope online is solid. Getting this game for free so that would be nice for all these things.

Dahbomb

I just realized that with this Card system Hsien Ko might be finally able to cancel her Pendulum swings. YAY?

No amount of cards can make Arthur top tier though.

Karsticles said:
It's one thing when randoms call Ammy "the dog", but when a Capcom employee does... -_-
Oh god, this makes me rage so hard. I swear that if I can put in the work for UMVC3 and feel confident enough that I can be competitive then I will go to tourneys and bring a huge sign saying "Ammy is a wolf" Hell I might just even get a shirt saying that.

I cant believe such a thing bothers me so much but it does. Its only going to keep getting worse too. Ammy is gonna be known as that an annoying dog when she should be known as the great wolf goddess from one of the greatest games ever made =(

Dahbomb

Well at least this is better than Shadow Battles. I just wish Capcom would push themselves to making modes that enhanced the core game play.

Dahbomb

Chindogg said:
Gems. Enough said.
Oh shit true that. We already got X Factor... that's enough for me.

I meant stuff like a more fleshed out tutorial mode, replay mode/match saving, youtube uploading, better online features. Stuff that facilitates actual progressing of you as a player in skill set and facilitating playing/sharing with others.

I do wonder how different the Mahvel games would turn out if Capcom were in a better position financially. Their profits have really been low as of late and I can see how Mahvel would get hit with all the negatives instead of Street Fighter or SFxTekken.
Dahbomb said:
Well at least this is better than Shadow Battles. I just wish Capcom would push themselves to making modes that enhanced the core game play.
I think I'd just like them to stick with core gameplay instead, but this is better than shitty shadow battles.
Dahbomb said:

I meant stuff like a more fleshed out tutorial mode, replay mode/match saving, youtube uploading, better online features. Stuff that facilitates actual progressing of you as a player in skill set and facilitating playing/sharing with others.
Get Street Fighter games instead if you want that.

Dahbomb said:

Hilarious how ahead of the game Dissidia is when it comes to most of the stuff you mentioned.

Kintaro said:
And that may just be the key to staving the diminishing sales and keep the fighter Renaissance alive.

Or they could add voiced cutscenes in single player and a tutorial.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dahbomb

Yeah I didn't really mean that they tinker with the actual combat... more like modes that facilitate the combat.

Like if I find some tech in training mode or in a match.. I want to be able to save that part on my harddrive and upload it directly to youtube and send the video to my friends on PSN/XBLive whatever. So many people don't have video capture cards and it will really help the average person to share stuff they otherwise wouldn't. I know starting of MVC3 I really wanted to show off some of my techs/combos/set ups (however obsolete they might've been) but couldn't.

Get Street Fighter games instead if you want that.
I do have SF games and even those games feel more to be desired. Compared to other genres, the fighting games even the best ones are considerably behind. Fighting games can't even do match making/online right when it's just 1 v 1. You compare it to a game like HoN where you have to match up 10 people of equal skill sets while providing a lag less environment and facilitate the option to pause games, reconnect on disconnected games, have leaver levels to punish leavers and a shit ton of other features.

This mode is just another way for Capcom to micro transaction the player base to death. Oh well I am not too bothered by it because I really doubt I will be tinkering with it too much.

Damn, I just want Capcom to start making money again. They've shown that they clearly care about how the Mahvel games turn out, but you can see that they cut corners and profits being in the tank surely effects how things turn out...

Dudes need to start making bank again on the double.

Briarios

I'm a sucker for going around in games and collecting stuff - so, if it works well as part of the single player experience, I'm all for it.

Kai Dracon

SolarPowered said:
Damn, I just want Capcom to start making money again. They've shown that they clearly care about how the Mahvel games turn out, but you can see that they cut corners and profits being in the tank surely effects how things turn out...

Dudes need to start making bank again on the double.

Blame a lot of this on the tens of millions they throw away to western devs on projects like Bionic Commando, Dark Void, and DmC :p

If BC and DV hadn't tanked, or hadn't been attempted, who knows what kinda money they might have pumped into Marvel, or even SFIV. Vanilla SFIV might have looked more like Super SFIV, for example.

Dahbomb

Blame a lot of this on the tens of millions they throw away to western devs on projects like Bionic Commando, Dark Void, and DmC :p
God damn now I am salty again... :O

You really can't have a Capcom game thread without mention of DmC.

Kaijima said:

If BC and DV hadn't tanked, or hadn't been attempted, who knows what kinda money they might have pumped into Marvel, or even SFIV. Vanilla SFIV might have looked more like Super SFIV, for example.
I've heard about Bionic Commando and Dark Void, but I never looked them up. Bionic Commando sold 27k in it's first month and the highest review score for Dark Void was a 7/10. Shit, Dark Void didn't even crack the top twenty for it's first month and #10 was 240k. What in the world were they thinking back then?

DmC better sell several million copies...

shaowebb

*saunters in for lunch and checks computer for any new UMVC3 news from Comic con*

WHAT THE FUCKING DAMN SHIT HELL?!!?

Playable Galactus mode?

Card system that works like SFxT gem system and cards are collectibles with characters like Nightcrawler, Howard the Duck, Sparda, Invisible Woman, Gambit, and others?!

Cards can allow you to special cancel specials, teleport, turn invisible or parry?!

What is going on!!!!
I've got the weirdest boner right now...

Crocodile

SolarPowered said:
I've heard about Bionic Commando and Dark Void, but I never looked them up. Bionic Commando sold 27k in it's first month and the highest review score for Dark Void was a 7/10. Shit, Dark Void didn't even crack the top twenty for it's first month and #10 was 240k. What in the world were they thinking back then?

So either we get fucked in the ear (DmC sells well and justifies all the horrid decisions Capcom has made regarding that game) or we get fucked up the ass (Capcom doesn't make bank and thus skimps on all current and future fighting games)? What a wonderful world we live in >_>

Dahbomb

DMC4 is the series' best selling game at 2.7 million and the series averages 2 million per game. That's great but DMC4 was running on full hype engine and this game isn't... in fact I haven't seen such anti-hype for a game in a long time.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the best selling NT game at just over a million. We'll see though... but things aren't looking up for it.

The bad side is if DmC ends up making money/profit it green lights Capcom into making other series into another Western outsource and continuing the DMC series in this path.

LOL @ this very old Lupinko tweet:
basically, I've been recently talking about cards and how do they work? #datmarvel

We thought it was Gambit. :(

MrDaravon

I think if they were coming out with much more complete and clearer info on this and the Gem thing in SFxT we would have a lot less rage on the internet right now.

Touch

SephirothRK said:
Clans sounds cool, lets make a GAF clan if possible.
Did they go into any detail on how this actually works? It says battle online in one week events, so is that like clan tournaments or something?

SolarPowered said:

IT BETTER BLOODY NOT. #BritishNerdRage

Man, clans in Halo were shitty as fuck because it just encouraged people to act like huge douchebags. I don't even want to know how that shit would roll in the FGC where the shit talking is already amped to the max haha.

Still, it could be interesting I guess.
Crocodile said:
So either we get fucked in the ear (DmC sells well and justifies all the horrid decisions Capcom has made regarding that game) or we get fucked up the ass (Capcom doesn't make bank and thus skimps on all current and future fighting games)? What a wonderful world we live in >_>
Their fighting games are more important than a single franchise.

Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs SNK(possible), Darkstalkers(possible), Powerstone(possible), Street Fighter vs Tekken, Rival Schools(LOL)>DMC

It's not even a contest. It sucks, but I'd rather let RE or DMC take the bullet if it meant that they could go balls to the wall with their fighters.
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
IT BETTER BLOODY NOT. #BritishNerdRage
Sorry, bro.

Kai Dracon

General Shank-a-snatch said:
People think Capcom has no money. Hahahaha.

Capcom openly acts like they have no money ha ha ha ha. Hell, they're rushing UMVC3 out ASAP for, allegedly, that reason. They want / need returns now.

And regardless of how much money they do have, the fact remains that each game budget is negotiated out of a slice of the total pie. Capcom has made some very bad decisions with regards to several big developer partnerships this gen. And no matter how much you have, throwing away 20 million a pop on games that utterly tanked, is nothing to sneeze at.

SolarPowered said:
Their fighting games are more important than a single franchise.

Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs SNK(possible), Darkstalkers(possible), Powerstone(possible), Street Fighter vs Tekken, Rival Schools(LOL)>DMC

It's not even a contest. It sucks, but I'd rather let RE or DMC take the bullet if it meant that they could go balls to the wall with their fighters.

and what happens when going "balls to the wall" means going to western studios to "rebirth" the characters and just concerning themselves with the gameplay balance?

Your not looking long term here. A successful DmC show that strategy might work for other games. With capcom fighters in particular getting alot of flak over their story modes, or rather lack of, I dont see that far fetched for them to consider bringing in outside help if they think it will make their fighting games more viable to casuals.

be careful what you wish for. I only dread to think what a "rebirthed" Hsien Ko would look like.

Top Bottom