• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN Aid Convoy destroyed by Airstrikes in Syria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

Putin motherfucker. Fucking scum of the earth along with isil and every terrorist coward. This is definitely a war crime and in a just world the Russians would be immediately kicked out of the UN Security Council and face immense backlash forcing an open revolt in Russia against putin.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is some bullshit. Helping starving people can get you killed because other human beings are pieces of shit.

This breaks my heart. What scumbags.

My heart goes out to the dead, and the people who aren't getting the aid they needed. Fucking despicable.

Syria war: US preliminary finding that Russian hit aid convoy - CNNPolitics.com

@Charles_Lister
Looks highly likely that a #Russia-made OFAB-type bomb was used in strike on #Aleppo aid convoy; likely OFAB 100-120

20NGgeo.jpg

JPNqjUN.jpg

Googling OFAB 100-120 I found this:
l28Y4pM.png

Syria's Dirty Dozen: The OFAB 100-120 - YouTube

If those are indeed remains of the bomb, then this is definitely a Russian design. (Unguided) US bombs have a different tail (fins): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_bomb#Modern_American_GP_bombs:_the_Mark_80_series

Gaz_RB

Presumably the same sort of person who chlorine bombs civilians.

But now we're blurring the lines between "evil" and "stupid enough to bomb an internationally supported humanitarian effort".

Maybe this will be what it takes to unite the world on the Syria problem.

So we're cold war 2.0 now?

Already since 2014 and the annexation of Crimea.

Yeah hit an international humanitarian convoy. That'll show the Americans.

Uh, Putin ups the ante in Ukraine pretty much before every int. meeting or Minsk talks.
And his ceasefires in Syria serve the same purpose as in Ukraine: *Grabs more land*, now let's do a ceasefire. For Syria that was for instance: *Encircles Aleppo*, now ceasefire pls. Putin's ceasefires in a nutshell: you cease, we fire.

Should have imposed a No-Fly Zone over Syria years ago when we had the opportunity.

Thanks, Obama.

So the day of the airstrike, the Russian MoD was livestreaming footage from a Drone that was tracking the UN Convoy at one point
The implication here is that Russian Airforce was aware of the convoy and either bombed it or allowed it to be bombed by the Syrian Airforce.
The attack took place at night as shown in this video: https://twitter.com/AhmadAlkhtiib/status/777964616391528448
I find it unlikely that the Syrians have the capability to bomb that accurately at night

Secretary-General's Address to the General Assembly | United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

In today’s world, the conflict in Syria is taking the greatest number of lives and sowing the widest instability. There is no military solution. Many groups have killed many innocents –
but none more so than the Government of Syria, which continues to barrel bomb neighbourhoods and systematically torture thousands of detainees.
Powerful patrons that keep feeding the war machine also have blood on their hands. Present in this Hall today are representatives of governments that have ignored, facilitated, funded, participated in or even planned and carried out atrocities inflicted by all sides of the Syria conflict against Syrian civilians.

Just when we think it cannot get any worse, the bar of depravity sinks lower. Yesterday’s sickening, savage, and apparently deliberate attack on a UN-Syrian Arab Red Crescent aid convoy is the latest example.

So the day of the airstrike, the Russian MoD was livestreaming footage from a Drone that was tracking the UN Convoy at one point

The implication here is that Russian Airforce was aware of the convoy and either bombed it or allowed it to be bombed by the Syrian Airforce.
The attack took place at night as shown in this video: https://twitter.com/AhmadAlkhtiib/status/777964616391528448
I find it unlikely that the Syrians have the capability to bomb that accurately at night

Original video with sound: https://www.facebook.com/aleppo24news/videos/1174130202625747/

Aftermath videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_DUCjGosZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXE2ElcPTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecslwbx0Cd4

You know the Russians are responsible when they start to spin so much that they get entangled in contradictions (see MH17). They claim they didn't bomb it (or that it wasn't bombed), yet at the same time, try to convince you the convoy was accompanied by rebels: Syria: Footage shows attacked aid convoy being followed by militants - YouTube

Jezbollah

Sky News reporting "US officials say they believe two Russian SU24s carried out the airstrike on an aid convoy in Syria yesterday based on the location and timing"

antonz

Debris found at the scene links the weapon to either the OFAB-100 or the OFAB-250. Russian Jet based unguided bomb designed for use against convoys of trucks, light armor etc. SO there is little doubt of who acted. Its not surprising though because they have made it clear from the get go aid is not going to non government areas. Even if it means killing innocents

Macam

Banned
It's a despicable and unforgivable act, but this sort of thing is all too common in the today's modern qarfare environment. Point in case, Americans destroyed a Medicins sans Frontieres hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan in October of last year, killing 42 patients and staff (the Pentagon dubbed it an accident, though there is plenty of controversy around that)

Regardless of who is ultimatelt at fault, Syria has a clear record of attacking hospitals and the like, and Russia will just engage in as much as diplomatic plausible deniability as possible.

There are no winners here, just lots of needless suffering.

It's a despicable and unforgivable act, but this sort of thing is all too common in the today's modern qarfare environment. Point in case, Americans destroyed a Medicins sans Frontieres hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan in October of last year, killing 42 patients and staff (the Pentagon dubbed it an accident, though there is plenty of controversy around that)

Regardless of who is ultimatelt at fault, Syria has a clear record of attacking hospitals and the like, and Russia will just engage in as much as diplomatic plausible deniability as possible.

There are no winners here, just lots of needless suffering.

It's pretty obvious that was an accident, US don't have any interest in killing MSF building and team. On the others hands, Assad's thugs and allies have all interest to starve syrian civil population to force them out and end the rebellion.

But Russian and Assad are the good guys. Everyone should just work with Russia to negotiate peace...

What's ALEPPO an acronym for again?

/s

Macam

Banned
It's pretty obvious that was an accident, US don't have any interest in killing MSF building and team. On the others hands, Assad's thugs and allies have all interest to starve syrian civil population to force them out and end the rebellion.

That's a very one-sided, black-and-white view of things.

Lime

It isn't good that I just watched Threads the other day and now Russia is ***allegedly*** committing war crimes and escalating the conflict. (although the US/NATO have done so as well with the MSF bombings)

Debris found at the scene links the weapon to either the OFAB-100 or the OFAB-250. Russian Jet based unguided bomb designed for use against convoys of trucks, light armor etc. SO there is little doubt of who acted. Its not surprising though because they have made it clear from the get go aid is not going to non government areas. Even if it means killing innocents

Source?

That's a very one-sided, black-and-white view of things.

So please tell me what could possibly be the interest of US forces to kill MSF doctors ?

Assad have a open politic of reversing the demographics of Syria, he gave up on Kurd part and ISIS part, he just want to break Aleppo and secure Damas. More sunni left his territories, the better for him.

reckless

It isn't good that I just watched Threads the other day and now Russia is ***allegedly*** committing war crimes and escalating the conflict. (although the US/NATO have done so as well with the MSF bombings)

Source?

Russia/Assad bombing medical and aid targets is not a new thing...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/PHR_syria_map/web/index.html
Map of just attacks on medical targets by attacker, I don't know about you but I see a pretty clear pattern on who's doing the attacks.

reckless

20NGgeo.jpg

JPNqjUN.jpg

Googling OFAB 100-120 I found this:
l28Y4pM.png

Syria's Dirty Dozen: The OFAB 100-120 - YouTube

If those are indeed remains of the bomb, then this is definitely a Russian design. (Unguided) US bombs have a different tail (fins): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_bomb#Modern_American_GP_bombs:_the_Mark_80_series

I agree there's a pattern and a precedence, but I am still asking for a source on the claim about the Russian bombs

Right up the page? That wreckage picture is from the site of the attack.

Where's the Hezbollah supporter claiming rebels in Aleppo were the main reason aid wasn't getting through? Maybe they bombed the convoy with their non-existent planes?

Lime

Right up the page? That wreckage picture is from the site of the attack.

I'm sorry but that single image is not sufficient evidence. One image with an unclear visualization of a supposedly crushed tail-end of a bomb with the rest of it hidden away by someone on Twitter is not sufficient and clear-cut evidence that this was Russian attacks.

All I'm asking for is proper evidence with corroboration from multiple sources. This is a war-crime after all and it shouldn't be taken lightly in determining who the perpetrator was.

reckless

I'm sorry but that single image is not sufficient evidence. One image with an unclear visualization of a supposedly crushed tail-end of a bomb with the rest of it hidden away by someone on Twitter is not sufficient and clear-cut evidence that this was Russian attacks.

All I'm asking for is proper evidence with corroboration from multiple sources. This is a war-crime after all and it shouldn't be taken lightly in determining who the perpetrator was.
What sources would be all right? It's in the middle of a war zone either Russia has to admit it or you have to believe the U.S who has said it was Russia.

Keep in mind you have remnants of Russian bombs there.

You also have Russian propaganda like RT and Sputnik saying things like it totally wasn't Russia but did you see how there was a truck with a mortar near it sometime so they deserved it.

There are only 2 possible possible groups who have air forces the Coalition or Assad/Russia, so choose one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom