• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosions at Istanbul Aiport (Up: 31 dead, dozens injured)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

luso

Has nothing to do with Turkey specifically. The general rule is that when radical islamic terrorists kill innocent muslims it's " okay ". They're just killing " their own ". No big deal right ?

It's when they kill non-muslims that the medias and politicians go crazy.
What? Not to derail more but has also much to do with cultural closeness.

Blueliner

Banned
Not sure if this is just precautionary or what.

An armored police truck is stationed outside Terminal 1 at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, awaiting a flight from Istanbul to land, WABC reported.

CmEXnIqWYAA1QiC.jpg:large

KAP151

Becoming all too common now.

There isnt a week that goes by now without a terrorist attack or some asshole gunning people down.

Sad.

Sapientas

NSFW Video:

Turkish Police at the airport shoots one of the terrorists, while the terrorists is down he detonates his suicide vest.

This Police is a fucking hero.

https://twitter.com/sco1905/status/747902680220205056
This video is heart breaking. Horrible... I can't imagine the terror in being there.

The worst part is how the terrorist still blows himself up after being shot. How can someone become this? What goes over his mind before he kills himself over literally nothing? This is completely bizzare to me.
The best thing that could happen was that, blowing up alone without taking anyone with him and this will always be absurd to me.

mrkgoo

This video is heart breaking. Horrible... I can't imagine the terror in being there.

The worst part is how the terrorist still blows himself up after being shot. How can someone become this? What goes over his mind before he kills himself over literally nothing? This is completely bizzare to me.
The best thing that could happen was that, blowing up alone without taking anyone with him and this will always be absurd to me.

I'm sure in their head it's not "nothing".

It does take a particular nurturing and state of mind to get there probably.

Man, this is horrible.

Valhelm

contribute something
I do think that ISIS' shift to Al Qaeda-style terrorism suggest weakness. Tactically, they gain nothing by massacring civilians. Terrorism is a loser's game, usually only employed when more effective tactics -- like open combat -- are impossible.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, due to Turkish Airlines's relatively affordable flights to many major cities all across the world being centered in Istanbul, it's a hub for international travel. But Eurocentrism dictates that Turkish people don't get as much attention unfortunately.

This is all over the news across Europe with positively huge headlines.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah, due to Turkish Airlines's relatively affordable flights to many major cities all across the world being centered in Istanbul, it's a hub for international travel. But Eurocentrism dictates that Turkish people don't get as much attention unfortunately.

Can't speak for the UK but I was in an airport in the US when this happened and it was on every news channel non stop the entire time I was there so its most definitely not being ignored here.

Diancecht

Guys do you think my flight will be canceled? It's today at 5 pm from Birmingham, UK. It's important for me to know because of some visa shit.

Gorger

My deepest condolence to anyone affected by this horrid tragedy. The ones responsible are nothing but a blight upon this earth. I can't even begin to fathom how warped their minds must be of hate and ignorance for them to willfully commit such evil upon their fellow men of just civilians and regular people doing nothing but going about with their daily business.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Ugh... sickening. It is frustrating how "ISIS-like" actions seemingly always play right into the hands of certain players with absolutely no ties to it....

/Stay strong and safe eurogaf.

GhaleonEB

50 is not confirmed.

The reported total has been bouncing around a lot; it was over 40 just a short time ago, followed by a report of 50. Other sources are lower. We can probably expect that to continue for a while. I dropped the title amount to 31 which is the last "official" count (so much as anything is) that I can find, but there's little to be gained by chasing the current number in the thread title, so I'll leave it be until the situation is stable.

Mistake

A close friend of mine has a sister that works at an Istanbul airport (not sure if there is just one,) hope she is ok

LiK

The reported total has been bouncing around a lot; it was over 40 just a short time ago, followed by a report of 50. Other sources are lower. We can probably expect that to continue for a while. I dropped the title amount to 31 which is the last "official" count (so much as anything is) that I can find, but there's little to be gained by chasing the current number in the thread title, so I'll leave it be until the situation is stable.

Yea, they keep updating it from what various officials have been saying.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the videos of the suicide bomber detonating and the people running. This infuriates me so damn much. I wish eternal suffering for these people who are both alive and dead.

Drop dead by yourselves, you pieces of fucking shit.

jstripes

Banned
TThe worst part is how the terrorist still blows himself up after being shot. How can someone become this? What goes over his mind before he kills himself over literally nothing? This is completely bizzare to me.

If you were in the terrorist's situation, I can assure you that blowing yourself up is probably preferable over what would happen to you if the authorities brought you in alive.

Jumeira

Banned
Heart goes out to the people of Turkey, i hope beyond all hope we find a way to wipe these terrorist out. They bring so much human suffering, such little respect for life.

Be strong Turkey :(

My co-worker just came back from a trip and he was there half a day just before this happened! Great tragedy but I'm glad my co-worker is safe.

Durden77

Just found out two good friends of mine were at that airport 2 days ago. Just thinking how close they could've been to some fucking asshole taking their lives makes me so angry and sad, and makes me feel for the people that lost their lives even more. I hope their families have the strength they will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom