• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hostage situation at a church near Rouen in northern France (Update: it's over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

Fucking unbelieveable...it's every goddamn day now. What the hell sparked all this? Because the amount of attacks in such short notice stack up in an insane way now. Before Nice it had been pretty quiet since Brussels, right?

And this stuff keeps happening in either France or Germany and once in Belgium. I hope to god The Netherlands stays out of this but i bet it's only a matter of time now. Goddamn man.

Well the latest attacks seemed to be executed at short notice with few equipment, unlike the shootings/bombings of Paris and Brussels. So there may be a "trending" effect, with many "dormant" terrorists deciding "ok, let's do it now" because it's all over the news and can have a cumulative impact. You can even wonder if it wouldn't influence attacks unrelated to ISIS, like the shooting in Germany or even that guy in Japan.

Zaph

I'm reading reports that at least one of the attackers was known to the authorities and was on a terrorist watch list as he had been arrested for trying to get to Syria.

No links as it's just twitter so might be bollocks

From the last attack, I know the amount of people on France's terror watchlist is staggering, but this is still unacceptable. I don't believe in guilty until proven otherwise, but if we know somebody has been trying to get into Syria, unless we have the manpower to put them under 24hr surveillance, there has to be another solution. We can't have people who've tried to enter a war-zone to fight, walking the streets unmonitored.

Well the latest attacks seemed to be executed at short notice with few equipment, unlike the shootings/bombings of Paris and Brussels. So there may be a "trending" effect, with many "dormant" terrorists deciding "ok, let's do it now" because it's all over the news and can have a cumulative impact. You can even wonder if it wouldn't influence attacks unrelated to ISIS, like the shooting in Germany or even that guy in Japan.

You make some good points here.

Chuckie

Sorry that I don't have a subscription to Dabiq so that I can scan an issue for you. Jesus.

Cracked actually did it. According to them ISIS doesn't really give a shit what name you give them. Then again, Cracked is a comedy site so I'd hardly consider that a reliable source.

Anyway, apparently it is strange to ask for confirmations from ISIS themselves from someone who said there are many confirmations from ISIS themselves, so I'll leave it at that.

This does make me wonder why it has been Germany, France and Belgium so far and barely any other countries in Europe. Don't get me wrong, i hope to God it won't start happening on other countries, but you definitely notice this.

Most are second gen immigrants, there is nothing you can do.

Be more strict. Dont want to speak the language or get a job? Get out. Doing crimes? Get out.

You can only help the good people if you weed out the bad.

Europe has had the "it will all work out fine" attitude for far far too long.

Be more strict. Dont want to speak the language or get a job? Get out. Doing crimes? Get out.

What are you talking about? How does a french citizen born in France don't speak french? How does a french citizen doing crimes can get his citizenship revoked?

What are you talking about? How does a french citizen born in France don't speak french? How does a french citizen doing crimes can get his citizenship revoked?

Is this true for all the terrorism the last few months?

And it might be hard to fix the mess of the past, but we at least need to do it with the current refugees, or we have history repeating over and over.

lenos16

Of course there is.

The subtle implication of what you suggest here is pretty rank, btw, but dunno if you meant it.

No I just meant that you can't deny them entry (because they were born in France anyway) as the post I quoted suggested.
On the other hand European style integration doesn't seem to be working anyway, there are lots of Ghettos made up of Muslim immigrants, this is a huge contrast to the US.

Christhor

This does make me wonder why it has been Germany, France and Belgium so far and barely any other countries in Europe. Don't get me wrong, i hope to God it won't start happening on other countries, but you definitely notice this.

Those are the countries with the most second gen immigrants. When the people currently going to Europe's kids are grown up, you might see this happening more in other countries as well.

Ahasverus

There's a big chance that it was a french citizen instead of an immigrant, like most of the attack who happened here.

Most of these assholes are homegrown.

So it's a consequence on the lack of control. You could stop future terrorists attacks 30 years from now by acting now and just /control/ what kind of people enter your country.

It's even a bit unjust, as many people would like to immigrate to your countries to work and make them grow, but no, you keep them away with bureaucracy and let a bunch of radicalized guya infiltrate your humaniarian aid programs. It's terrible.

Yes, but you need to weed out the bad without isolating or demonising communities.

The "don't like it, then get out" mentality won't necessarily cause wounds in society to heal.

Avtomat

I once came across a an interview with a French professor who pointed this out. He hypothesised that these children of first gen immigrants had kind of lost their identities not quite feeling French enough and not connected enough to their parents homeland. At that point they may be influenced by some religious nut job somewhere then they usually attempt to convince their parents that they are not religious enough before finally falling completely under the influence of extremists. He compared these 2nd gens more to the bader mein Hoff gang, called them lost children in fact.

Dudes name was Olivier Roy in case anyone wants to dig.

Alx

Did Hollande said something about "even troops on the ground" regarding stopping ISIS or it was a mistranslation on Euronews?

The full statement has been published online, there's no explicit mention of new "troops on the ground", only references to those that were already sent.

"Je veux exprimer la solidarité de toute la nation à l’égard de la commune de Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray. Je suis à côté de son maire qui a été terriblement éprouvé par le lâche assassinat du prêtre de la paroisse par deux terroristes se réclamant de Daesh. J’a rencontré la famille du prêtre, également parlé avec les personnes retenues en otage qui ont exprimé la douleur, le chagrin et aussi la volonté de comprendre ce qui a pu se produire.

Nous avons aussi au travers de ce déplacement voulu exprimer notre soutien aux forces de sécurité et policiers qui sont intervenus dans un délai extrêmement rapide pour éviter un bilan beaucoup plus lourd et qui ont sauvé les personnes prises en otage.

Je veux également saluer les services de secours, sapeurs pompiers, personnels du samu, qui en intervenant la encore très rapidement pour évacuer un blessé plus grave et des blessés légers et permettre que leurs vies puissent être sauvées.

Nous sommes face à une épreuve, une de plus, parce que la menace est très élevée, reste très élevée après ce que nous avons vécu ces derniers jours et ces dernières années. Nous sommes face à un groupe Daech qui nous a déclaré la guerre. Nous devons mener cette guerre par tous les moyens dans le respect du droit, ce qui fait que nous sommes une démocratie.

Ce que veulent faire ces terroristes, c’est nous diviser. Aujourd’hui, après la mort de ce prêtre, j’ai pour tous les catholiques de France une pensée, je veux leur exprimer un soutien. Ce soir je recevrai l’évêque de Normandie, demain je recevrai tous les cultes car nous devons être ensemble. Ce sont les catholiques qui ont été frappés, tous les catholiques mais ce sont tous les Français qui se sentent concernés. C’est pourquoi nous devons être dans une cohésion, dans un ensemble dans un bloc que personne ne doit pouvoir fissurer.

Le parquet antiterroriste a été chargé de suivre cette enquête, il donnera toutes les informations, le procureur pourra délivrer ce qu’il sait, mais aujourd’hui, nous devons prendre conscience s’il en était besoin, que les terroristes ne renonceront à rien tant que nous ne les arrêterons pas. C’est notre volonté, c’est ce que nous faisons inlassablement, c’est tout ce que nous avons pu mettre en œuvre en terme de lois, en termes de moyens encore récemment à travers le déploiement des forces. Les Français doivent savoir qu'ils sont menacés mais qu'ils ne sont pas le seul pays, l'Allemagne l'est aussi et d'autres, mais que leur force tient à leur cohésion."

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/live/...e-rouen_4974819_3224.html#DtpT0SgAzaD6GAuk.99

Highlighted parts mentioning military action (among other things)

"We are facing a group, Daesh, that declared us war. We must fight that war with all available means while respecting (human) rights, which makes us a democracy."

and

(about stopping terrorists) "That's what we want, that's what we're going to do relentlessly, that's what we've put in place through laws, through the recent force deployment."

Far too much assuming that all second-gen immigrants are by nature a threat. This is evidently not the case, actually, and even presupposes external events have no part to play, nor that there are necessary variations between immigrant experiences in cities, regions, countries.

tldr: stop being so fucking simplistic, ta.

Joni

On the other hand European style integration doesn't seem to be working anyway, there are lots of Ghettos made up of Muslim immigrants, this is a huge contrast to the US.

I always suggest comparing European muslim populations to African-American populations. It is a more comparable proportional size. American-style integration for muslims work mostly in that there aren't enough Muslims in most areas from them to stay unintegrated.

MrHoot

Most of these people speak the language

As far as "get a job" or "don't do crime", that's only easy on paper. The right party here tried that but with such bullshit rules that it also endangeres absolutely fine integrated citizen. Like they would be sent back to a country they were never born in for absolutely small or petty crimes. That is not fair, and dangerous.

Nicktendo86

I once came across a an interview with a French professor who pointed this out. He hypothesised that these children of first gen immigrants had kind of lost their identities not quite feeling French enough and not connected enough to their parents homeland. At that point they may be influenced by some religious nut job somewhere then they usually attempt to convince their parents that they are not religious enough before finally falling completely under the influence of extremists. He compared these 2nd gens more to the bader mein Hoff gang, called them lost children in fact.

I read some statistics that showed that, here in the UK, second and third generation migrants from Muslim backgrounds are more conservative than their parents so it seems to be a widespread phenomenon. Until we find out why and work out solutions issues with communities that feel they are no part of society as a whole will just continue to get worse.

Koren

Is it?

But even if that's true (it's rather an issue of places with people with lower income, where ther's often many muslims), I'm not convinced terrorist are coming from thise places more often than others.

Also, many people wanting to leave for Syria have parents with good income and well integrated.

I don't think that it's as simple as this.

So it's a consequence on the lack of control. You could stop future terrorists attacks 30 years from now by acting now and just /control/ what kind of people enter your country.
You're gonna need a very large crystal ball, considering your future terrorists aren't even born yet, and they could as well be born to well adjusted and moderate people.

Those are the countries with the most second gen immigrants. When the people currently going to Europe's kids are grown up, you might see this happening more in other countries as well.

Well...it's absolutely not something i easily say, but maybe it's time that our governments say...it's enough. We don't accept refugees anymore. There has to be a limit, it's simple as that. Of course for the few rotten apples there are so many well meaning ones. :(

justjohn

Because they have a massive Muslim population. Or is that also taboo to mention. It's not happening in Hungary or Poland or Spain because their Muslim population is very small.

CTLance

RIP.

Wish police had been able to capture those sick fucks alive, as always. First, for information, and second, because they got off easy again. It's all fun and games if you just go to the heavens to claim your virgins, but if you have to rot in a jail cell for decades and then succumb to some trivial old age sickness, it's another matter entirely. Also makes for really lousy propaganda. Plus, who knows, they might actually come around and repent.

Of course, I have no delusions that capturing them alive without endangering their hostages is even remotely feasible. Still. Would've been nice.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do we now start to be nervous of certain people in society because it seems to be a regular occurrence. Honestly why is this happening?

Is it?

But even if that's true (it's rather an issue of places with people with lower income, where ther's often many muslims), I'm not convinced terrorist are coming from thise places more often than others.

Also, many people wanting to leave for Syria have parents with good income and well integrated.

I don't think that it's as simple as this.
Extreme forms of Islam are reaching Muslim youth more and more. Here in Holland we had (Muslim) councilmen warn about the growing influence of Salafism under Muslim youth, and their parents are not aware of this until it is too late.

lenos16

The theory sounds logical, the problem is what one can do about it. It's not just giving them work or sending the children to school (Western European countries provide free education anyway), several terrorists have had university degrees in the past and are from middle income families. There is just no known way to help them gain an identity if they haven't already done so in school or at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom