• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 - E3 2011 Gameplay and Trailer

Aeonin

Much love though for being on the show at least. These guys are great - but maybe next time it would be so cool if Nolan North could show it off next time (October I'm sure). He's more guest material I'm sure. But these guys are great, loved it when they showed the burning Chateau level.

cakefoo

Irish said:
That was what the whole gif was about.
No there's a lot more funny in Evan's eagerness to take the controller and his shrug. I was just pointing out the subtle millisecond quick motion Fallon does towards Evan that I didn't pick up on when I watched it live. :)

Irish

cakefoo said:
No there's a lot more funny in Evan's eagerness to take the controller and his shrug. I was just pointing out the subtle millisecond quick motion Fallon does towards Evan that I didn't pick up on when I watched it live. :)

I see, I just saw the whole thing as interconnected and didn't really separate it into its parts.

cajunator

Banned
It looks alright. Kind of more of the same, but thats ok because 1 and 2 were awesome and nothing needs to change. I am hoping for more ruins/temple stuff though because those settings were beautiful.

Fallon's "play by play" sort of brought up a good point which is why I think a lot of people were turned off by it. How many times did he say "ok, this isn't you" "I didn't do that, this isn't me" "Ok, now this is you"? Too often, in this section, you're taken out of control. I've joked with my brother how Uncharted 3 will probably have something "CRAZAY!" happen every two steps like a floor gives out, ceiling falls down, stair crumbles underfoot, a door pushes in on you etc.. all this just trying to get to a second floor of an unoccupied building. It may be a little jarring.

Imagine if last E3's footage had a cutscene trigger whenever debris fell from above everytime the helicopter shot at the building showing Drake dodge to the side.

feel

Just watched the 3D trailer from the ps store, amazing stuff!!! I was pausing after every scene change and just sitting there for 15 seconds taking in the depth and composition, and admiring how everything still looked so stunning. Looking like that IMO it will easily be the most impressive and compelling 3D implementation in a retail/disc game yet, and the standard to beat. You can always count on Naughty Dog to impress in everything they do. I might actually do a 3d playthrough of this one, unlike with most other retail games where I just try it for 10 minutes say "cool" and go back to the much better looking 2D.

jett

D-Member
Letters said:
Just watched the 3D trailer from the ps store, amazing stuff!!! I was pausing after every scene change and just sitting there for 15 seconds taking in the depth and composition, and admiring how everything still looked so stunning. Looking like that IMO it will easily be the most impressive and compelling 3D implementation in a retail/disc game yet, and the standard to beat. You can always count on Naughty Dog to impress in everything they do. I might actually do a 3d playthrough of this one, unlike with most other retail games where I just try it for 10 minutes say "cool" and go back to the much better looking 2D.

I wonder how much will 3D affect the video quality of the FMVs...they're gonna have to store each cut-scene twice, a 2D version and a 3D version.

cakefoo

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Fallon's "play by play" sort of brought up a good point which is why I think a lot of people were turned off by it. How many times did he say "ok, this isn't you" "I didn't do that, this isn't me" "Ok, now this is you"? Too often, in this section, you're taken out of control. I've joked with my brother how Uncharted 3 will probably have something "CRAZAY!" happen every two steps like a floor gives out, ceiling falls down, stair crumbles underfoot, a door pushes in on you etc.. all this just trying to get to a second floor of an unoccupied building. It may be a little jarring.

Imagine if last E3's footage had a cutscene trigger whenever debris fell from above everytime the helicopter shot at the building showing Drake dodge to the side.
Fallon was just trying to deny responsibility because he didn't want to look worse at games than he already was.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, one thing I dont understand.

You can customize your guns, right? So there are no more weapon pickups? You start the game with any gun you want?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MoonsaultSlayer said:
There's nothing to imagine, that sequence is interspersed with 5 short canned animation sequences that happen in the duration of ~3 minutes - go watch it if you don't believe me - it's just that while you're playing it, it all blends together and you don't even notice when they end and gameplay begins.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
I wonder how much will 3D affect the video quality of the FMVs...they're gonna have to store each cut-scene twice, a 2D version and a 3D version.

Most likely. That's what GG did with Killzone 3. Such a move would mean horribly-compressed behind-the-scenes/bonus videos... again. (Edit: Or was it such videos weren't HD? I can't remember.)

cakefoo

jett said:
Just one 3D version can serve as both the 2D and 3D. And 3D's footprint is only something like 50% greater than 2D alone, at least that's how efficient the Blu-ray 3D codec is. So instead of 1x + 2x = 3x the storage, it really only has to be 1.5x-2x, depending on the codec they use.

jett

D-Member
Most likely. That's what GG did with Killzone 3. Such a move would mean horribly-compressed behind-the-scenes/bonus videos... again. (Edit: Or was it such videos weren't HD? I can't remember.)

That video quality was so awful it was almost embarrassing. :p Thankfully Sony put up all the videos on their youtube channel.

cakefoo said:
Just one 3D version can serve as both the 2D and 3D. And 3D's footprint is only something like 50% greater than 2D alone, at least that's how efficient the Blu-ray 3D codec is. So instead of 1x + 2x = 3x the storage, it really only has to be 1.5x-2x, depending on the codec they use.

Well so far games like Killzone 3 have been doing separate videos, 2D and 3D versions. I hope a dual-layer disc is enough.

burgerdog

I'll have to agree. This seriously looks like the first game I'll play entirely in 3D full clear. Hopefully the video wasn't a bullshot. Killzone 3 and many other games take an awful hit in resolution and I end up switching back to 2D.

Lord Error said:
There's nothing to imagine, that sequence is interspersed with 5 short canned animation sequences that happen in the duration of ~3 minutes - go watch it if you don't believe me - it's just that while you're playing it, it all blends together and you don't even notice when they end and gameplay begins.
Hmm, I did sort of feel that my argument was weak. But there wasn't really all that much gameplay in that footage which may turn off Joe "I like CoD" gamer.

I guess I'm alone with my impression, but almost everything I've seen from U3 looks a bit less impressive than U2. At the very least I don't see an (visual) improvement.
I watched the HD gameplay and trailers from the Store on my PS3, but something rubs me the wrong way and I can't quite put my finger on it. It just seems that the polish and image quality is worse than in U2. I feel like even the cutscenes now look more cartoon-ish and have worse IQ (which may change before the release of course). Maybe I have a rose-tinted memory of U2.
Of course I'm still looking forward to the game, but I'm not hyped in the slightest and I expected to be blown away like after watching the rooftop/crashing building scene in U2 of last year's E3.

Yamibito

SolidusDave said:
I guess I'm alone with my impression, but almost everything I've seen from U3 looks a bit less impressive than U2. At the very least I don't see an (visual) improvement.
I watched the HD gameplay and trailers from the Store on my PS3, but something rubs me the wrong way and I can't quite put my finger on it. It just seems that the polish and image quality is worse than in U2. I feel like even the cutscenes now look more cartoon-ish and have worse IQ (which may change before the release of course). Maybe I have a rose-tinted memory of U2.
Of course I'm still looking forward to the game, but I'm not hyped in the slightest and I expected to be blown away like after watching the rooftop/crashing building scene in U2 of last year's E3.
It's a compressed video, it'll look better come release.

Having all the uncharted e3 videos from Psn on my ps3, 2 does look the best in the character model department. There's a certain emptiness in the facial structures in u3, mainly in the alley scene. Seems hollow.

I disagree... The section shown at e3 was more complex and impressive technically than anything U2...and the facial models seem like the most obvious upgrade to me..more detail and the eyes are (mostly) fixed.

gogo said:
QpZ4b.gif

lolz

KAL2006

Banned
I think one of the main reasons Uncharted 3 won't look much better than Uncharted 2 is because the processing effort is going to be used for 3D and split screen, if the developers did not support 3D and splitscreen, they could have made the game look much better and pushed the graphics even more. The multiplayer maps don't look that much more impressive than Uncharted 2, this is due to multiplayer supporting splitscreen, and of course the campaign and multiplayer will also support 3D.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidusDave said:
I feel like even the cutscenes now look more cartoon-ish and have worse IQ (which may change before the release of course). Maybe I have a rose-tinted memory of U2.
Must be the rose tint. You cannot possibly look at character models of Chloe or Elena for example in the new trailer, and think they look more cartoonish now. They've gotten a huge upgrade in believability/rendering realism. They still all look stylized of course, but that's what the whole visual design is based on

uc2: http://sometimesgeeky.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/chloe-uncharted2.jpg

uc3: http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=uc3e320111kj2w.jpg

Yamibito

Lord Error said:
Must be the rose tint. You cannot possibly look at character models of Chloe or Elena for example in the new trailer, and think they look more cartoonish now. They've gotten a huge upgrade in believability/rendering realism. They still all look stylized of course, but that's what the whole visual design is based on

Oh god, she got like x100 hotter.

KAL2006 said:
I think one of the main reasons Uncharted 3 won't look much better than Uncharted 2 is because the processing effort is going to be used for 3D and split screen, if the developers did not support 3D and splitscreen, they could have made the game look much better and pushed the graphics even more. The multiplayer maps don't look that much more impressive than Uncharted 2, this is due to multiplayer supporting splitscreen, and of course the campaign and multiplayer will also support 3D.
This is one of the most commonly misinformed things that is constantly being spewed out. The 3D effect has no change on what is being displayed when its in 2D. And considering developers generally downgrade the visuals or resolution for 3D and splitscreen, why on Earth would it have an effect on how they are pushing the visuals in 2D?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307086/news/naughty-dog-wed-kill-off-lead-uncharted-character/

One of the big bits of Uncharted 3 news to emerge from Sony's E3 Conference last Monday was confirmation that Elena and Chloe - respectively Drake's missus and former bit on the side - are both back for Nate's third round of happy-thwacking and treasure hunting.

But don't get too attached to the brainy blonde or wickedly-curved Aussie, because Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells says he'd have no hesitation in killing off one of the pair - or any other major character - if the storyline called for it.

"We're not dogmatic about anything," he told us when we asked if bumping off one of the lead characters was something Naughty Dog would consider. "If that is what it takes [to advance the storyline] then that's what it takes. And not just for dramatic shock value - it would definitely have to tie into the narrative that [we're] trying to tell and expose an aspect of Drake's character that we would want to delve into."

Wells does confirm is that whether or not they survive to the end of Uncharted 3, the pert pair will be playing a less prominent a role this time.

"We are trying to keep things fresh and draw certain aspects of Nate's personality out as well as the characters he's surrounded with," he explains. "Chloe and Elena are back but they aren't the emphasis of the story the way they were in Uncharted 2. This time round the emphasis is on Victor Sullivan and his mentor/protégé relationship with Drake."

Uncharted 3 is due for release exclusively on PS3 in November.

Man, if they off Elena... I will off someone. Or Chloe. I guess. Maybe he's just messing with us.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow wtf. That's not cool man. They better not kill any of the main characters for future installments. Hell, I hope they don't kill someone in UC3.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Georgemartintrollface.jpg

Seriously tho it would benefit the story alot. In U2 I never for a moment thought one of the main characters would die. So when a gun was pointed at them, I never really got worried. If somebody gets killed of in U3, I will be freaking out all the way to U10 whenever a dangerous situation happens.

Duffyside

Banned
B1gg_Randall said:
What!!! Naughty Dog better not kill Elena or Chloe...
Elena's my favorite character, so I'm with you there. I like Chloe too, but my favorite part about her was that she was a surprise new fun character in two (who was nice to look at). I hope more than anything Naughty Dog introduces a new character or two (that are nice to look at, preferably) and if the trade-off for that is to off someone, even Chloe (NOT Elena), I'm all for it.

Lingitiz

man/man said:
Well, if Uncharted 3 is the final chapter of a trilogy, SOMEONE has to die.
Uncharted is not a trilogy, and i'm sure we'll sure more in the future. They are generally standalone stories with recurring themes and characters.

GameSeeker

If they kill off Elena, then Naughty Dog doesn't understand what makes Uncharted such a good game.

I have my fingers crossed that Amy Hennig has more sense then that. She has been magnificent with the writing in Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Please don't blow it with Uncharted 3!

The only character I'd be OK with them killing off would be Chloe, but that would be pointless because there's no reason to care about that bimbo. I'm really scared for Sully and Elena...

revolverjgw said:
The only character I'd be OK with them killing off would be Chloe, but that would be pointless because there's no reason to care about that bimbo. I'm really scared for Sully and Elena...

I'm telling you now; Sully's gonna be snuffed. Just so you know. The writing's on the wall.

Lord Error said:

I couldn't reply it time, but in the U2 picture you had before your edit she was indeed better looking :p (but that was probably due to the sexy sweat :D ).

Oh well, I doubt I will be disappointed when I can play the final game myself.

Top Bottom