• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

jett said:
Should be renamed The Camper's Choice.

Yeah..................don't quit your day job buddy. :p
Ha! The joke's on you -- I don't have a day job!
:(

Fine, the booster should only be available to me then. I don't camp and have always wanted to walk around the map dropping people with only my pistol, like a boss. B)

Rewrite said:
Are those skeletons from those screens?

Omfg, they better not be skeletons. :(
Yes. Glowzor'z

Can't wait for Goldzor, Blackzor, Redzor, and Rainbowzor in U3.
Not.

Irish

The skeletons are only there because they are in a gas cloud. One of the kickbacks where you can't differentiate between your allies/enemies or something similar.

Chris_C

newjeruse said:
From Christophe Balestra's twitter:
scaled.php

Very cute, and nice to see Ghostbusters is still popular with the young 'uns :)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It was posted on the last page, but the video didn't load. Glad you posted the YouTube link as I finally had a chance of seeing it! Thanks!

So that explains the skeletons from last page. Hahaha. Crisis averted, baby!

The multiplayer looks like so much fun! also glad that "sching" sound when you kill someone is still there. I <3 that sound.

Rewrite said:
It was posted on the last page, but the video didn't load. Glad you posted the YouTube link as I finally had a chance of seeing it! Thanks!

So that explains the skeletons from last page. Hahaha. Crisis averted, baby!

The multiplayer looks like so much fun! also glad that "sching" sound when you kill someone is still there. I <3 that sound.

Your welcome.

I think displaying only the score during a objective based match would help (works in BC2). But that still doesn't take into the account the real culprit... the killstreak(s). What then? ...rid all objective based modes of them?

They're based on medals, not kills. Assuming the streak doesn't reset after you die, wouldn't it encourage going for the objective since captures and defends theoretically add to your medal streak? That's actually quite brilliant.

Edit - I guess you could be a bitch and ignore the objective if there's a medal for killing the guy who's carrying your team's (kill him, wait until someone else grabs it, kill them, repeat). But there's easy ways around that.

The Xtortionist said:
They're based on medals, not kills. Assuming the streak doesn't reset after you die, wouldn't it encourage going for the objective since captures and defends theoretically add to your medal streak? That's actually quite brilliant.

Edit - I guess you could be a bitch and ignore the objective if there's a medal for killing the guy who's carrying your team's (kill him, wait until someone else grabs it, kill them, repeat). But there's easy ways around that.

I don't care how a developer tries to dress it up -- they're just Killstreaks (with a twist). As I stated early, it'll help deter that type of behavior but not completely. Some players will learn to abuse it (depending on the circumstances). Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for the kick-backs but I'd be naive to think that they won't also affect UC3 in a slightly negative way... or hell, I could be completely wrong!

Time will tell!

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
I don't care how a developer tries to dress it up -- they're just Killstreaks (with a twist). As I stated early, it'll help deter that type of behavior but not completely. Some players will learn to abuse it (depending on the circumstances). Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for the kick-backs but I'd be naive to think that they won't also affect UC3 in a slightly negative way... or hell, I could be completely wrong!

Time will tell!
What defines abuse? It seems like it's whenever a player or players gets more kills then you think they should. What affects the game in a negative way?

BobTheFork said:
What defines abuse? It seems like it's whenever a player or players gets more kills then you think they should. What affects the game in a negative way?

People ignoring the objective in order to build up killstreaks.

...Which shouldn't happen with this system. What the hell are you going to camp for? Double kills? Really? I'm looking at the UC2 medal list and everything seems like it would be inefficient to focus solely on. All of the kill medals take like, 5 kills. Assuming kickbacks take at least 3 or 4 medals to activate, you'd have to get a shit ton of kills just to get a single cluster grenade or what have you. I don't see why anyone would make it their mission to go for something like that.

BobTheFork said:
What defines abuse? It seems like it's whenever a player or players gets more kills then you think they should.What affects the game in a negative way?

I find that 'abuse' pertains to the lack of cooperation with your team in a objective based game where K/D ratio is not a factor. Selfishness in the act of camping in a area of a map only rack up a certain amount of kills for whatever reason unrelated to the given objective WHILE ignoring the opportunity to achieve/complete it.

I've played games in a scenario where a teammate will sit back and ignore the opportunity to contribute to capturing/completing/achieving an objective when their team has a slight advantage (happens a lot in BC2...) resulting in a loss because they wanted to hide on a hilltop and snipe or working towards a nuke, lol.

Camping an objective only for the sole purpose of accumulating medals/kills/whatever, etc. to unlock a killstreak and ignoring your team -- I consider that 'abusive'. I honestly don't care about K/D ratios, go for the kills... as long as you're contributing to the team (defending an objective, protecting a teammate etc.), it's cool with me -- as long as you help your team(mates) when the opportunity arises. I've played with many GAFers who are capable of achieving both.

I know I'm going to get shit for this, but I don't care if people camp in a death-match mode of any sort. I personally don't do it but hey, whatever works for you.

Additional note: One game I feel handles this particularly well is Socom 4, hear me out -- you not only have to accumulate 5 kills/kill the bomb tech/etc. but using the airstrike leaves you open for a good 3-4 seconds (longer if you move around). Players generally don't risk calling one in the heat of battle/middle of a gunfight, you risk losing it. The Risk/Reward factor is great.

One more... I don't mean to sound preachy (if I do), as I said, I could be completely wrong and kick-backs could possibly have no negative affect on the gameplay whatsoever. I really just don't want this franchise to follow the same path/fate as another franchise I won't name and completely screw over most if not all of it's fanbase (while embracing a new, tolerant one that likes any and everything the former didn't) *cough*KZ3*cough*

HYDE

Banned
RyanardoDaVinci said:
Bad idea.

If you want to reward the winning team even further give them a 1.5% Cash bonus, like in Killzone 2. I don't see the need for it, though.

On another note, here's a new Badge of Honor for you ND: Like A Boss: You can only walk while using this and it gets you $30k every 5 kills.

I'd rather 3 kills in a row using only pistol whips. No bullets or grenades can injure before pistol whipping them to death.

mr_nothin

Banned
Welp, I'm going to go on the record and say that I know I'm not going to stick with UC3 for very long. I despise kill streaks and dislike too much freedom with customization of weapons and perks. I'll probably play it for a few months and forget about it. There comes a point where I want to get competitive with a game and having a combination of killstreaks + perks + weapon customization just wont allow that. It's too random. It's like playing the "I Declare War" card game. I want to learn how to tame a weapon instead of modifying it to offset my weaknesses. Don't like the weapon? Either stick with it and learn it better or go try another one and see if that jives with you.

I think every online game that I've ever stuck with (or wanted to stick with) didnt have "killstreaks". Counterstrike Source, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Bad Company 2 (this being just about the only exception to the rule...and even then, I hate the fact that they have mag ammo and armor), Socom 4 (if I had a PS3 right now and yes I know they have the airstrikes but it's the only thing anybody can get and it's pretty weak).

Blah, ole well...it's a beaten-dead-horse argument.
YES preachy but ole well!
Also, I finally saw the video and the grenade clusters are like an instant airstrike. Ew

mr_nothin

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Whatever dude, I'm sure everything will be forgiven/forgotten once you play it. And you know it, lol.
lol
I'm still excited for it but I really doubt I'll stick with it as long as I did UC2. It happened with KZ3. Bet you thought I would have stayed with that! I gave up on that trash after the beta...but then again that's a *special* case. Too bad nobody can enjoy Socom4 right now. Ole well...back to Portal 2 I go. It's getting interesting now. I've been laughing the whole time.

dralla

I thought you could only use the medal kick back once per match? i don't really consider it a kill streak reward if that is the case. i think of it more like a super attack in street fighter.

As long as you earn the required amount of medals, you can use it as many times as you want.

The way Arne explained it is if I chose the lowest kickback to use -- say 5 medals required -- I could use it as soon as I get those 5 medals and to use it again, I would have to get another 5 medals.

What I can't do, is earn 15 medals during the match and then use the kickback 3 times in a row. It restarts the count once you use it, so if I had those 15, I would use it and get 5 taken away, then I would have to get another 5 to use it again.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm not really sure if I want to buy inFamous 2 or just get a 3 month sub of PS+. I'm currently playing through the first inFamous and I like it, but I don't know if I'll pick up 2 on day one.

Still not understanding how UC3's kickbacks can be compared to killstreaks. It's not going to be like Call of Duty where you can run and build up a 6 or 7 killstreak in a minute. It could take minutes on end to build up even 5 medals in Uncharted 3. Going for straight kill medals (the 5 kill medals from UC2), it would take 25 kills with the same class of weapon to get what...a single cluster grenade?

Hardly sounds over-centralizing.

mr_nothin

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Still not understanding how UC3's kickbacks can be compared to killstreaks. It's not going to be like Call of Duty where you can run and build up a 6 or 7 killstreak in a minute. It could take minutes on end to build up even 5 medals in Uncharted 3. Going for straight kill medals (the 5 kill medals from UC2), it would take 25 kills with the same class of weapon to get what...a single cluster grenade?

Hardly sounds over-centralizing.
Well those arent the exact requirements. Who's to say they didnt implement medals that are easier to get just for kickbacks? Also, does anybody know if kills made by kick backs are counted towards the next kickback? What if you get medals from your kickback?

It could possibly take only 1 or 2 medals for some kick backs. No matter how you put it, it's a variation of a killstreak. You have to get a streak of kills (for the most part) in order to gain a reward that will get you more kills. How arent kick backs killstreaks?

Massa

mr_nothin said:
Well those arent the exact requirements. Who's to say they didnt implement medals that are easier to get just for kickbacks? Also, does anybody know if kills made by kick backs are counted towards the next kickback? What if you get medals from your kickback?

It could possibly take only 1 or 2 medals for some kick backs. No matter how you put it, it's a variation of a killstreak. You have to get a streak of kills (for the most part) in order to gain a reward that will get you more kills. How arent kick backs killstreaks?

You could get a kick back without making a single kill.

Massa said:

Then I guess it would then be simply called a "Streak of some sort"? ...-- I really want to play some S4 online right now. Bit of a gaming drought over here. I'd like to know if 'Labs' will still be present? ..those are a hoot.

Massa said:
Using the current U2 boosters that require no kills:

Assistant - Assist in the defeat of five enemies by shooting them but not getting the final shot.
Expansionist - Capture five territories.
Perfect - Win a game without dying.
Tip Off - Be the first player to grab the treasure in a plunder match.
Captured! - Capture the treasure in a plunder match.
That Was Embarrassing - Earn a shut out in plunder.
Unlucky - Die 5 times without getting a kill.

Yeah... not happening.

rdrr gnr

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Using the current U2 boosters that require no kills:

Assistant - Assist in the defeat of five enemies by shooting them but not getting the final shot.
Expansionist - Capture five territories.
Perfect - Win a game without dying.
Tip Off - Be the first player to grab the treasure in a plunder match.
Captured! - Capture the treasure in a plunder match.
That Was Embarrassing - Earn a shut out in plunder.
Unlucky - Die 5 times without getting a kill.

Yeah... not happening.

Exactly. They are kill-streaks.

Though we know what some of the kick-backs are, we don't know of all the new medals. And I'd bet my life on there being new medals that compliment kick-backs specifically. Or make acquiring kick-backs easier.

BrLvgThrChmstry's definition of abuse is spot-on. It's the active negligence of potential objective-capturing opportunities in favor of a more selfish pursuit enabled and encouraged by kill-streaks/kick-backs/score-chains/etc.

I don't have a problem with a player who places himself close to the enemy spawn/objective-return area and farms kills. In this process he is making the opposition frustrated and distracting them from their objective. The issues arises when the player kills an opponent carrying an objective, then refuses to pick up this objective and attempt to return it because it risks or removes an opportunity to obtain a medal. In the perfect game, there would be NO REASON not to try your best to capture the objective yourself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any word on switching l1 & r1 with l2 & r2? Some of us bought real triggers and want to use them.

I guess I'll find out with the PS+ beta. Even Infamous lets you use l2 to aim..

Rikyfree

zoner said:
Any word on switching l1 & r1 with l2 & r2? Some of us bought real triggers and want to use them.

I guess I'll find out with the PS+ beta. Even Infamous lets you use l2 to aim..
you could do it in U2 I think.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...og_On_Refining_Multiplayer_In_Uncharted_3.php

Interview: Naughty Dog On Refining Multiplayer In Uncharted 3
Naughty Dog's second Uncharted title brought a suite of multiplayer modes to complement the series' single player campaign. With the upcoming Uncharted 3, the company aims to further enhance the game's multiplayer to keep up with the industry's leading multiplayer shooters.

In addition to the game's range of cooperative and competitive game types, Uncharted 3 will introduce new options for players to customize their avatar and unlock new weapons and aesthetic enhancements.

In order to help change the flow of a given multiplayer match, the game will at certain points trigger events known as "power plays," which alter the scoring criteria for the winning and losing teams, allowing matches to remain competitive and unpredictable.

Gamasutra sat down with Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells to discuss the studio's take on online multiplayer, and how the game promises to bring a more defined ebb and flow to traditional competitive online game types.

With Uncharted 2, people weren't necessarily expecting a big multiplayer experience and it took people by surprise in a way. Is there external pressure from above for you guys to really make the next game the number one thing?

It was definitely driven from inside the studio. I think we're always our harshest critics and we just want to push ourselves to try new things. I mean, we'd done single player for so many years; we were making games for PlayStation consoles for 15, 16 years, and with Uncharted 2 it was time to really tackle some multiplayer technology and cut our teeth, and I think we came out of the gates really strong.

We got a really good community and now the first order of business is to try to take Uncharted 3 to the next level and not only fill it with all of the features that are going to make it competitive with the other top online games out there, but to bring across the elements that made the single player successful and exciting and cinematic, and apply those techniques to the multiplayer.

In the single player, there's a lot of emphasis on making you feel like the hero and things like that. It seems like a lot of what you're putting in the multiplayer is sort of to that end. You've got your emblems and whatnot and things that'll try to make people feel individual accomplishments. Can you talk a bit more about that?

Sure, I mean we're definitely adding in. We haven't talked about it much but there's going to be a player rating system, so you'll be able to climb the ranks in terms of your ability and be able to compare yourself to other players. We're going to have leaderboards. We definitely want to create that healthy love of competition in our community and we also want people to be able to personalize their experience, and that's where the customizable characters come in.

We know people also want to play the hero characters and the villains, but when people go online they want to have that avatar, they sort of want to put themselves in some shoes that they get to design themselves.

It seems that you're doing a lot to try to encourage cooperative play within competitive game types. What is the drive behind it?

Yeah, there are lots of different kinds of players out there and we're trying to give people a lot of options and expose them to other types of gameplay that they might not realize they like. If we have the proper tools in place and we get them in and expose them to new stuff slowly over time they will learn to embrace it because their skill level will rise accordingly.

You've got co-op which can bring across some single player guys into online, and then from co-op we can get your feet wet in competitive multiplayer by saying, "Look, you've got a buddy, you've got the buddy system, or you've got three team death match where it's 2v2v2."

So it's not like you've got as many guys out there against you as you would in an ordinary team death match; you can focus on a more intimate experience, so we're trying to give a lot of different kinds of exposure to the online experience for different tastes.

So it could be almost like a gateway for people that are more single player oriented?

Yeah, like the gateway from single player to co-op, and from co-op to other online modes.

One thing that I found curious was how the game helps the folks who are behind or who are not doing as well. It clearly takes a lot of tweaking and balancing to get things to where people don't feel like they're getting cheated out of their experience if they're very hardcore, for example. So how do you all approach that?

Well, the way we look at it is it's as much an opportunity for the winning team to advance further by earning more cash or more XP as it is for the trailing team to catch up a little bit. We've been tweaking the experience so that if you've got the stronger team, they're going to win more often than not. We don't want to flip the switch so far that it becomes like a rubber band where you can kind of slingshot past, but the team that's ahead is going to earn more points during what we call a "power play" and it's a short burst - it's an event that lasts about one minute and it changes up the play styles of a given match.

So even outside of the effect of having the trailing team catch up, it makes the experience more interesting. One of those power plays is called "marked man," during which one or two members on the leading team get marked, and if the trailing team can kill them, they'll get three points for that kill so it can help them catch up. It's a very interesting dynamic because as soon as someone gets marked, the opposing team can all see exactly where he is and the leading team gets to defend him, so it changes the experience for this short little burst.

It becomes kind of like the Killzone game mode [my edit: ape the whole warzone mode, plz] where you go from death match to capture the flag to territories and the like. Over the course of a 10-minute death match you'll probably only experience maybe one or two of these power plays but for those short bursts you get a different flavor.

Yeah. It seems that you're putting more of that push and pull kind of play in the game, which is interesting because you don't often get a lot of peaks and valleys in multiplayer games. They tend to be pretty straightforward. You'll have moment-to-moment events that might be interesting, but it's hard to guide that kind of a rollercoaster experience for people.

Yeah, it is tricky and we obviously have been doing tons of play testing. We have a daily play session where the whole company will jump online and play for a half an hour, and we've got some really hardcore people and people will definitely lose it if the power play stuff gets taken out to an extreme, but we also have the ability to dynamically update the game after its release, so if we can kind of dial that in if it seems the community is not feeling it.

Of course there is the problem if there is any kind of exploit in there, because players will find it and they'll ruin the game for themselves. You've always got to watch out for that, but we're constantly on it; we have great communication with our community and they definitely keep us on our toes and keep us informed of any exploits like that.

When I play Uncharted, I prefer the exploring, jumping around, and collecting treasure -- I like the exploration gameplay way more than the shooting gameplay. Could you ever foresee something that was more exploration-based then killing oriented?

In a multiplayer type environment? It's interesting, we talked about a lot of different ways to expand the multiplayer side of things when we went from Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3, but we knew that what we had to do was keep building up the most popular modes. Rather than shifting gears radically, we wanted to focus on what was getting played the most and we found it was death match and co-op, so we really wanted to focus on those and enhance those in ways that brought that single player experience into multiplayer.

So when you say you like running around and looking for treasures, we added the treasures to multiplayer so as you're playing and killing people, you'll occasionally see a treasure drop and you'll get to run out there and collect it, and it becomes this game where you're trying to get all the pieces of these different treasure sets because that will help your level progression and unlock new items.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Power play doesn't sound that bad to me either. It sounds pretty cool so far. I liked and didn't like the answer to the last question, though. I like that they focused on building up deathmatch and co-op, but I don't like how quickly he dismissed jumping/climbing stuff which is one thing the game needs more of in multiplayer.

Top Bottom