• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chuck Norris said:
Just do a separate story based co-op like Valve did with Portal 2
It would be awesome if they did this. A mini-adventure with Drake and Sully or something would be excellent.

Bowdz

Irish said:
I don't understand one fucking bit why people are so against co-op. Not one fucking bit.

Have you guys forgotten everything you played before Resident Evil 5? Does anybody here remember how co-op used to be done? Anyone?

Here's what you do:

You drop some random fucking nobody right alongside Drake and then you never acknowledge him once. Not once. This person doesn't even get a name. That person will never appear in the cutscenes either. All that person does is shoot shit up and platform along with ND. You also double the enemy count.

It was the go-to method for years, why are we all against it now?

Hell, it's one of the big reasons I've played R:FoM more than Resistance 2.

Now, I know Uncharted has some of those set-piece moments that seem like they could only work with a single person, but those can easily be shown using a very simple method. First person there activates the section and, if necessary, the other player warps in right alongside him. If it is a cutscene, the random automatically disappears and the two people get to enjoy the cutscene together as it was in SP.

Besides, people will play the SP first anyway, so a little bit of jankiness in co-op means little.

In addition to that, you can also bring back the small U2-style Co-Op sections.

I completely agree with you and it is so infuriating to have developers shape the narrative around the co op experience instead of the other way around. It is easily on the developers and allows multiple people to experience the campaign at the same time. Win-win.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can see co-op implemented. Like a poster above said, make it a separate campaign a la Splinter Cell/Portal 2.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Ugh.

I'd rather they didn't go down the co-op route. I'm not a fan of online gaming. If you are, great news, but for people who just like to sit and play at their own pace it's frustrating because normally the single player experience is compromised. (Resident Evil 5 is a good example).

If Naughty Dog can pull it off without sacrificing the the single player experience, well good. I hope the multiplayer fans enjoy it, but other then that, do not want.

Not to sound fanboy-ish/whiny, but all this talk of online gaming in Uncharted is getting on my tits. I don't care about any of that and never did. I care about Elena, Sully and Nate. So give me some damn story info, ND. I though the single player experience is what Uncharted was all about.

It... just makes me nervous for some reason. I have faith in Naughty Dog.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Trick_GSF said:
Ugh.

I'd rather they didn't go down the co-op route. I'm not a fan of online gaming. If you are, great news, but for people who just like to sit and play at their own pace it's frustrating because normally the single player experience is compromised. (Resident Evil 5 is a good example).

If Naughty Dog can pull it off without sacrificing the the single player experience, well good. I hope the multiplayer fans enjoy it, but other then that, do not want.

Not to sound fanboy-ish/whiny, but all this talk of online gaming in Uncharted is getting on my tits. I don't care about any of that and never did. I care about Elena, Sully and Nate. So give me some damn story info, ND. I though the single player experience is what Uncharted was all about.

It... just makes me nervous for some reason. I have faith in Naughty Dog.
I agree with you. I think the only reason that they're not going too much into details on the single player is because they want to keep the set pieces under wraps so people are blown away at launch. They've proven they can do a good job with single player and multiplayer with Uncharted 2 so they're showing off the new MP features since most people can be confident in the quality of the single player.

Irish

Yeah, I really do believe they've got the SP portion covered and I'm actually glad we're getting more MP news. They started off great with the MP and kind of faltered along the way, so it's nice to know where they are headed along that route. Additionally, this allows us to see new U3 footage without spoiling the story all that much. You can show off the mechanics without revealing all the setpieces and whatnot.

Besides, I think we'll be getting a nice live presentation of the SP at E3.

mufraka

Neo Member
MuseManMike said:
People are concerned that they are going to RE5 this shit? The bigger concern is if they KZ3 the multiplayer.
They can't, because KZ3 MP framerate and maps SUCK, and ND's maps and framerate don't.

easy way to do it is to make co-op sp campaign as an unlockable after you beat the game once. and since Uncharted is divided into chapters, just make co-op available on chapters where Drake is with npc shooting bad guys, letting 2nd player control whoever is with Drake at the moment. or just don't care about continuity or whatever and just let a 2nd Drake appear and disappear during shootout or set pieces. we already play the single player alone and experience it the way it's meant to be played. now they can go crazy with the 2nd or 3rd playthrough. no difference with how we can change skin in previous games.

and to make it simple, have it available as offline splitscreen only, you just go to pause menu to enable or disable it. no need for 2nd player psn login or whatever. anything other than that, ND will have to setup lobbies, matchmaking, etc just for what I consider an extra/unlockable. I'm sure we'll still get stand alone co-op mode just like in Uncharted 2. co-op for sp mode is just a bonus mode.

The initial reveal, burning chateau gameplay demonstration and then the villain reveal around GDC were single player focused. There's still another 6 months before it releases, if anything I hope they hold back with how much they reveal of the SP.

reKon

Banned
Callibretto said:
easy way to do it is to make co-op sp campaign as an unlockable after you beat the game once. and since Uncharted is divided into chapters, just make co-op available on chapters where Drake is with npc shooting bad guys, letting 2nd player control whoever is with Drake at the moment. or just don't care about continuity or whatever and just let a 2nd Drake appear and disappear during shootout or set pieces. we already play the single player alone and experience it the way it's meant to be played. now they can go crazy with the 2nd or 3rd playthrough. no difference with how we can change skin in previous games.

You win! I like this idea very much. Co-op is a perfect unlockable for this game and it will be definitely feel so rewarding to do so! It would be tons of fun to have all the options available to purchase like low gravity and unlimited ammo, etc while being able to play with a friend co-op. You essentially get enjoy game the properly first, then enjoy it another way. That just adds replay value to the game. If this game has a incredible moments, great gameplay, and a good story, I could see myself replaying this about 4-5 times.

If it's not to late to add this in, this would be fantastic to do.

rdrr gnr

MalboroRed said:
Same fucking team, same fucking MP director (well he's game director now).
Everyone has to realize that nothing is sacred post-MW2. I have confidence the gunplay and the maps will be solid. It's the all the new stuff that scares me (medal kickbacks).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MuseManMike said:
Everyone has to realize that nothing is sacred post-MW2. I have confidence the gunplay and the maps will be solid. It's the all the new stuff that scares me (medal kickbacks).
Can't you only use a medal kickback once per game?

Irish

MalboroRed said:
Same fucking team, same fucking MP director (well he's game director now).

The problem is this: The team is like Two-Face. We've got the 1.04 side and then we've got the 1.05 side. One side had their shit in order, while the other had no idea what in the hell they were doing. I can't tell which side we are getting back this time until I get my hands on the game in June.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Periodical leaderboard resets in U3?

20110513-8in9chfpd9ergqc6t97cs53yq4.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I don't know how I'd feel about resetting the leaderboards every week.

For instance, it could be a good thing in the sense that those who care about it in the long run aren't going to try as much since it'll reset anyway, but then it can create a new breed of players who want to reach the top of the weekly leadeboards just to have a week of fame, completely ruining objective playlists. That same thing can apply to long term leaderboards too.

I for one would love leaderboards for objective playlists instead. I enjoy comparing kills/wins stats as much as the next guy, but I would really love more encouragement to play as a team and accomplish objectives instead of aiming for kills to get a better placement. There should be leaderboards for every playlist there is and stats should only remain in those playlists. These specific leaderboards for objectives should focus on getting the most captures (for Plunder) that way it'll encourage people to get the treasure and capture it. Stuff like that. Kills you get in Plunder should NOT be put into account in a deathmatch leaderboard and should also not be rewarded as much in terms of cash.

The way they have it in UC2 was a mess because people just farm for kills in Plunder, which is bullshit.

Grisby

:/ I just want coop like it was in UC2. Best part of the game for me.

I wouldn't mind a separate story though, kinda like Splinter Cell Conviction.

ZeroRay

jett said:
Does anyone know if the beta will be open to EVERYONE, or will only a few receive invites?

If I remember right, it opens a week early in late June for PSN Plus/Infamous 2 buyers then everyone else can play.

Omg, definitely reset or don't track at all. I want people playing for the team in the match not for some stupid leaderboard. Who looks up people's stats anyway?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Chuck Norris said:
Just do a separate story based co-op like Valve did with Portal 2

This.

As long as ND can maintain the same level of quality across single and multiplayer, I would love to see a 2 player co-op side story.

acevans2

All-time leaderboards mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm not an elite player nor an obsessive one, so my placement is completely insignificant.

A leaderboards for the current month/week only would be much more interesting.

rdrr gnr

They better have plans to release an in-depth Making Of with the special edition or something. I'm not sure there is better choice out there for one of those documentaries.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Amy Hennig said:
you can write any piece of crap and they’ll make it sound wonderful. Trust me, I’ve done it!”
Does she really want to admit this? Haha! Kidding!

Great blog post.

Facism

it makes my balls tingle every time i see a console dev embracing custom games. It will add a lot of life to the gaf crew sessions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UC3 was showing up as on GTTV tonight (tomorrow morning) for weeks on the program info, but has since changed to a generic E3 show. So, it's likely we'll see something tonight.

alr1ghtstart said:
UC3 was showing up as on GTTV tonight (tomorrow morning) for weeks on the program info, but has since changed to a generic E3 show. So, it's likely we'll see something tonight.

This weeks GTTV is supposed to be about industry predictions. Although the preview did promise new Alice footage.

We know that we're supposed get Uncharted PSP2 info next Thursday, so i'm think that this will be part of that.

Top Bottom