• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

kuYuri

Getting my free copy soon thanks to the AMC event. If not for that, I would have skipped it since I can't afford it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
StevePharma said:
Indeed. I'd love a second disc for that stuff in order to get even crisper cut-scenes. I believe KZ3 was also a huge scene release, but I think that was due to all the different languages. Not sure what the deal is with U3 though. I guess it's the same as with KZ3.

Have to have both a 3D and 2D video on the disc. Those add up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
KZ3 is what worries me. That was also a 50GB disc, and had 2D+3D videos stored on it. Quality wasn't so good. At least I think Uncharted games use better codec (DivX as opposed to Bink)

commedieu

Banned
Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Worldwide_Studios

ICE Team

In addition, Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.

Whats your excuse for Rocksteady...? Media Molecule... Polyphony....? Team Ico, Kojima Pro, Forgot who did Dead Space, Dice..., the assassins creed guys...

Certain dev's have a mission to up the ante for releases, while other developers could care less, and just release mild updates to their games to sell for full retail. Well nevermind, I know you have none. ND was an impressive dev, with a unique eye, even before they became what they are today.

Epic has more resources than ND ever will, but you don't see their games breaking the ground & tech that ND has done on consoles.

DigiMish

commedieu said:
Epic has more resources than ND ever will, but you don't see their games breaking the ground & tech that ND has done on consoles.

Epic is the Naughty Dog of the 360, what are you talking about? Ever heard of a little game called Gears of War?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
commedieu said:
Whats your excuse for Rocksteady...? Media Molecule... Polyphony....? Team Ico, Kojima Pro, Forgot who did Dead Space, Dice..., the assassins creed guys...

Certain dev's have a mission to up the ante for releases, while other developers could care less, and just release mild updates to their games to sell for full retail. Well nevermind, I know you have none. ND was an impressive dev, with a unique eye, even before they became what they are today.

WHAT?

Gears 3 is absurdly good looking. Seriously.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd consider Rare the ND of the X360 if they weren't gutted and left for dead post-Nuts & Bolts. Even to this day the game looks exquisite.

Edit: Wait, this is an Uncharted 3 thread.

Papercuts said:
WHAT?

Gears 3 is absurdly good looking. Seriously.

Agreed. I love uncharted and am sure uncharted 3 will be ridiculously beautiful...but that doesn't take away anything from Gears 3. Gears 3 is fucking beautiful too....

jett

D-Member
Ahhh I hadn't thought of the added 3D versions for cut-scenes. :/ I hope it hasn't affected video quality much, and is improved from UC2. Wish ND used real-time cut-scenes. :p

Pranay

Reading all these uncharted 3 threads is so depressing, its just pathetic how GAF over reacts on the reviews.

Its good all those crap is not in this thread, Anyways since some are getting the game earlier would like to hear some impressions.

Luthos

I'd like to put this out there: to all of you who are getting the game early... I hate you.

Waiting for a big-name release is a bit easier when you know everyone else out there is suffering just as much as you. But when others are getting it early... =(

darkwing

jett said:
Ahhh I hadn't thought of the added 3D versions for cut-scenes. :/ I hope it hasn't affected video quality much, and is improved from UC2. Wish ND used real-time cut-scenes. :p
hmm good point there, have to see out got my own eyes then, Stardust HD had the right amount of 3d effect I think, haven't tried motostorm though

Uncharted 3-D ranks up there with Avatar as the best 3D I've ever experienced. It's REALLY fucking good. It's amazing that they got it to work on the PS3.

Salz01

Pranay_ said:
Reading all these uncharted 3 threads is so depressing, its just pathetic how GAF over reacts on the reviews.

Its good all those crap is not in this thread, Anyways since some are getting the game earlier would like to hear some impressions.

Would love some impressions too. Minus spoilers of course=)

darkwing said:
so what do people think of the Collectors Ed? worth it?

I'm personally waiting to see if there's gonna be a price drop for it like there have been for the KZ3 & IF2 bundles. Originally I was considering it, then realized it was way too expensive - especially with all the other games I'm getting in November.

DigiMish

I'm also curious to see if the figure in the CE has improved, particularly the face. I'm hoping that the pics of that was just of an early prototype model.

BeeDog

Combichristoffersen said:
Just finished UC2 for the first time. What a ride. Bring me UC3 ASAP plz.

The hell, when did you start liking the games? I recall you blasting them every chance you got. :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
BeeDog said:
The hell, when did you start liking the games? I recall you blasting them every chance you got. :p

The hype and trailers for UC3 made me want to get the game, but I thought I should get the twin pack with UC1+2 first, just to see if I'd like them. Whatever bad things I've said about the games in the past I'll have to retract, as they're brilliant, especially UC2, which was a massive upgrade from UC1 (the shooting, which got boring rather quickly in UC1, was so much better in UC2).

But fuck Gollum, those blue dudes and the gatling gun guys. Goddamn. I don't mind having supernatural enemies, but why oh why do they have to be so overpowered? Still, just a minor annoyance.

Pranay

The hype and trailers for UC3 made me want to get the game, but I thought I should get the twin pack with UC1+2 first, just to see if I'd like them. Whatever bad things I've said about the games in the past I'll have to retract, as they're brilliant, especially UC2, which was a massive upgrade from UC1 (the shooting, which got boring rather quickly in UC1, was so much better in UC2).

But fuck Gollum, those blue dudes and the gatling gun guys. Goddamn. I don't mind having supernatural enemies, but why oh why do they have to be so overpowered? Still, just a minor annoyance.

use the crossbow :p

BeeDog

Use crossbows against them. One-shot-kills.

EDIT: beaterp.

Zeth

How many non-euro gaffers are gonna import that Explorer Edition?

A little off topic but which chapter(s) should I load up in UC2 to get back in the swing of things and increase my hype meter?

Ricky_R

Glad you enjoyed it. Welcome to the club.

Gollum are paper thin against SMGs, Blue dudes suffer against their own crossbows, and gatling gun dudes are so damn easy that a pistol does the job, they give rocket launchers near them even so it makes it even easier. :p And that's on crushing :p

But yeah, it takes some "why won't you dieee" moments to discover how to breeze thru them.

Beaten like a nazi monster.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Zeth said:
A little off topic but which chapter(s) should I load up in UC2 to get back in the swing of things and increase my hype meter?
Chapter 6. The game gets much better after that. I wasn't too fond of the stealth level earlier.

Luthos

Meisadragon said:
Chapter 6. The game gets much better after that. I wasn't too fond of the stealth level earlier.
Chapter 5. That's the one that starts the awesome urban Nepal levels.

DigiMish

I'm playing this on Hard my first playthrough. That is unless they made it so that no matter the difficulty level, when you beat the game crushing gets unlocked.

Dynedom

DigiMish said:
I'm playing this on Hard my first playthrough. That is unless they made it so that no matter the difficulty level, when you beat the game crushing gets unlocked.

Yeah I'll be doing this as well.

DigiMish said:

Hard to Crushing is a smaller leap. That's what I'm doing.

GameStop: Creepy Crawler Kickback (a swarm of creatures attacks your enemies for a limited period)
BestBuy: Regeneration Booster (better healing power)
Amazon: Carpet Bomb Kickback (spits out three grenades at once) & Increased clip size for the Para 9 or G-MAL weapons
Wal-Mart: Callout Mod for AK-47 (gives your AK-47 a laser sight that allows your team to see the location of your target)

Aside from the GameStop one, the rest are available right now.
The Wal-mart one is lolworthy.

jackb2424

Banned
I don't think I have ever been so hyped for a game before! I've been gaming since the early NES days and never looked back. Every once in a while a games comes along and proves the reason I love this hobby. I could never make a video game, but I understand and appreciate the hard work that goes into art of video games. From the first game I knew this was going to be special. There was something there that I had never gotten from any other video game. I was actually into the characters and their story. Maybe it was the great voice acting but it all just worked for me. I'm not that hard up on review scores and could care less it got an 8. Pretty much every review says its better than Uncharted 2 anyway. So basically in less than a week I will get the privilege to take Nathan Drake on another epic journey complete with godly graphics, an entertaining story, and I get to do this with some of the most likable characters of this generation. Good times to be a gamer friends.

Oh and i literally paid $3000 for my 3D plasma just for this game. Im ready!!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Getting final retail copy either today or tomorrow, depending on how reliable FedEx is.

Excited!

DigiMish

I was gonna order the special edition at gamestop, but they said they've stopped taking orders on that in-store. Ordered from Amazon w/ release day shipping instead.

No big deal since I think the Penny Arcade poster is pretty ugly.

I tested 3D some last night on a 65VT30 in Chapters 10-12 and it is decent. Minimal crosstalk except in a few areas. Actually, there was really no crosstalk except for when you had long hallways or ledges on some areas. Personally I think CHP 8-9 is where 3D will shine the most. Overall I would say it was as good as gears, maybe better in some areas.

Still not SSHD level but worth a look if your a fan of 3D.

Oh and CHP the end of CHP 11 has some nice tidbits they touched on that I hope is explained further in the game.

Also CHP 11 was very, very fun...

Top Bottom