• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kydd BlaZe

Debating whether or not I should re-buy another PS3 for this...

Loved Uncharted 2, but I sold my PS3 earlier this year. Goddamit...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah definitely gonna try and avoid this thread as much as possible until I beat the game. I'm gonna do a straight playthough from next Tuesday to Wednesday on hard after I get out of school.

Guevara

Fortinbras said:
Yeah, but just very good in others. Personally I thought the animations in the starting chapter
where Drake and Sully fight some thugs
were pretty weird. I do think the game starts weaker then the previous two but I really liked the stuff that followed, like the playable
flashback

I'm in chapter 5 right now. How many chapters are there?
5 is
France (the old castle tomb)
right? That's as far as I've gotten so far too. No idea how many chapters there are.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm kinda sort of tempted to cancel my pre-order. No, not due to crying over 8/10, but because I'm sort of tempted to get the Collector's Edition rather than the regular edition which I pre-ordered. But what exactly is steelbook packaging, which the CE has, if I'm not mistaken?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just make sure to click a "Preview Post" to make sure you spoiler tagged things correctly, and all is fine. It's so easy to mess up spoiler tag if you manually type it in, and the 10 seconds it takes you to notice and edit it, is usually enough for someone to read it. I know it all too well from another games :\

Combichristoffersen said:
I'm kinda sort of tempted to cancel my pre-order. No, not due to crying over 8/10, but because I'm sort of tempted to get the Collector's Edition rather than the regular edition which I pre-ordered. But what exactly is steelbook packaging, which the CE has, if I'm not mistaken?
Are you in Europe or in US?
US has steelbook and it has a big ring on it. Kinda looks meh from the pictures, but it didn't look so bad upclose in that unboxing video. There seems to be more detail on it than the picture shows.

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20110601095923484-000.jpg
Uncharted-3-Collectors-Edition-Francis-Drake-Ring-and-Necklace.jpg

European CE doesn't get a steelbook, but rather a carbdoard packaging that's at the same time a small book - I guess something like the old PS2 Ico Euro release. Looks very nice:

Uncharted-3-collector_eu_1080p.jpg

darkwing

Kydd BlaZe said:
Debating whether or not I should re-buy another PS3 for this...

Loved Uncharted 2, but I sold my PS3 earlier this year. Goddamit...
reviews say this is better than uc2 so.....

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Guevara said:
5 is
France (the old castle tomb)
right? That's as far as I've gotten so far too. No idea how many chapters there are.
It has 22 I believe. (glad I'm on mobile so I can't see you quote without manually clicking on it lol).

Combichristoffersen

Lord Error said:
Are you in Europe or in US?
US has steelbook and it has a big ring on it. Kinda looks meh from the pictures, but it didn't look so bad upclose in that unboxing video. There seems to be more detail on it than the picture shows.

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20110601095923484-000.jpg
http://www.jamesindigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Uncharted-3-Collectors-Edition-Francis-Drake-Ring-and-Necklace.jpg[img]

European CE doesn't get a steelbook, but rather a carbdoard packaging that's at the same time a small book - I guess something like the old PS2 Ico Euro release. Looks very nice:

[img]http://images.wikia.com/uncharted/images/a/a1/Uncharted-3-collector_eu_1080p.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I'm in Europe. Really tempted to get the Explorer Edition, but that shit is expensive as fuck :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm in Europe. Really tempted to get the Explorer Edition, but that shit is expensive as fuck :lol
Crap, yes... I wanted to import it - if anything that little traveling box is something useful for a change, plus can be a great toy for kids once they learn how to not destroy everything. But I'm still undecided, with how expensive it is. In any case the EU box I posted above is what comes with explorer edition, and I think it's a cardboard box + book.

Mikey Jr. said:
Why the fuck are there spoilers in here? Seriously? Don't we usually have separate threads for spoilers?
Don't click on spoiler tags.

If there are actual unmarked spoilers then there is something to complain about.

spats

The Explorer Edition looks cool, but it costs about 3x what just the regular edition would cost. Is it really worth it?

You can bite the bullet for us and do a detailed unboxing post with lots of pretty pictures. :3

Chris R

Are all of the preorder bonuses just multiplayer stuff? Nothing else? Going to be picking up the game day 1 now and need to know where to preorder it from.

Loudninja

BannedEpisode said:
Don't click on spoiler tags.

If there are actual unmarked spoilers then there is something to complain about.
It should not be spoilers at all yet the game has not been officially release yet.

All is take is one person to spoil the game.

Combichristoffersen

spats said:
You can bite the bullet for us and do a detailed unboxing post with lots of pretty pictures. :3

I sort of did that when I splooged on that Vorpal Blade replica w/ stand from the Alice: Madness Returns merchandise store :lol

Loudninja said:
It should not be spoilers at all yet the game has not been officially release yet.

All is take is one person to spoil the game.
Then let's just all sit quietly until then.

Most gaffers are considerate enough to tag their spoilers which is pretty much all you can ask for in the thread designated for discussing the game. If folks really want to avoid legitimate spoilers they should be staying well clear of all gaming boards in general.

Edit: smart enough is probably a better phrase than considerate enough considering the consequences.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The Explorer Edition looks cool, but it costs about 3x what just the regular edition would cost. Is it really worth it?
Well you can check out the unboxing video here. I'm in two minds as well actually, but it looks nice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has either of you two how have the game been able to figure out if there's some logic to when the stealth attack results in a neck snap, as opposed to chokehold? Is it possible to chose which one is is going to be performed, based on whether you duck behind the enemy or not, or something like that?

Doomrider said:
I was interested in seeing more of the European Special Edition and since there's nothing official, here's an "unboxing" I just found, in case anyone else is curious.
Ah hell. I need that.

arne

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Worldwide_Studios

ICE Team

In addition, Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.

I don't think you've come by the studio to know what everybody works on.

First off, the ICE team are incredible folks, and they work on graphics drivers and tools. All of their help is available to first- and third-party developers. By that virtue, and your argument, ANY one of them could have the production values you are saying we couldn't get without the ICE team in house.

The real heavy lifting to our engine and what we do - that's done by all our graphics and engine programmers (and gameplay progs, etc.) and the lighting team and, and and, well everybody that works OUTSIDE the hermetically sealed ICE Team office.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
These Nate + Lara pics are all at once hilarious, awesome, and the stuff of nightmares.

Nightmares? I'd actually love to see a crossover game. I just don't know how it ever could happen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
Nightmares? I'd actually love to see a crossover game. I just don't know how it ever could happen.
Heh, If it does it will be in some fighting game or something as inconsequential. That first picture with burning airplane looks surprisingly well done to be honest.

Arpeggio23 said:
Are all of the pre-order boosters available in the game at some point? If not, which store offers the best booster?
GameStop: Creepy Crawler Kickback (a swarm of creatures attacks your enemies for a limited period)
BestBuy: Regeneration Booster (better healing power)
Amazon: Carpet Bomb Kickback (spits out three grenades at once) & Increased clip size for the Para 9 or G-MAL weapons
Wal-Mart: Callout Mod for AK-47 (gives your AK-47 a laser sight that allows your team to see the location of your target)

Just noticed that the leaked scene release for U3 is about 45 gigabytes. Lol

Naughty Dog. Screwing Pirate Bandwith since 2011.

Can't wait until Amazon ships my copy. So far away and mad jelly at those Germans and others who are playing early.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StevePharma said:
Just noticed that the leaked scene release for U3 is about 45 gigabytes. Lol

Naughty Dog. Screwing Pirate Bandwith since 2011.

Can't wait until Amazon ships my copy. So far away and mad jelly at those Germans and others who are playing early.
Wow. That's 80% of my monthly Canadian bandwidth allowance. I really hope they encoded videos at very high quality this time around, but knowing that they needed everything stored twice now due to 3D videos, who knows. I wish the bonus content was dropped from UC2 disc to have cutscenes in even better quality. We got all those videos in better quality on PSN anyway.

gdt

Less than 1 week! I was also just able to secure the day off. Annnnnd I'm going to Kmart to get it at 8am, with a $30off coupon. I'll get snacks and stuff too. What a wonderful day it shall be.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
gdt5016 said:
Less than 1 week! I was also just able to secure the day off. Annnnnd I'm going to Kmart to get it at 8am, with a $30off coupon. I'll get snacks and stuff too. What a wonderful day it shall be.

Halloween candy will be heavily discounted and plentiful on the shelves. All the stars are aligning...

Lord Error said:
Wow. That's 80% of my monthly Canadian bandwidth allowance. I really hope they encoded videos at very high quality this time around, but knowing that they needed everything stored twice now due to 3D videos, who knows. I wish the bonus content was dropped from UC2 disc to have cutscenes in even better quality.

Indeed. I'd love a second disc for that stuff in order to get even crisper cut-scenes. I believe KZ3 was also a huge scene release, but I think that was due to all the different languages. Not sure what the deal is with U3 though. I guess it's the same as with KZ3.

Top Bottom