• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daft_Cat

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
The games weren't reviewed by the same person

But yeah, I don't see how BF3 didn't get a 10 there. Unless everything we have seen in the trailers is an illusion, that's nonsense.

Maybe it has less to do with raw processing power, and more to do with the art and execution? The whole "it's not the size, but how you use it" type thing.

Just trying to get into their possible frame of mind.

Eurogamer is joke at this point.
First Gears of War 3 receiving an 8/10, considering GOW2 got a 9/10 and now this.
Seems like all sequels automatically receive 1 point less regardless of how many refinements and additions. They rarely rank sequels higher just because its a sequel.

Vire

ThisWreckage said:
Another issue I have with scoring is that if Sessler gave the second game a 5/5 then shouldn't the third game receive the same score granted if it is just as good (it is likely better)?
But he didn't feel it was just as good.

He felt like it loomed in the shadow of Uncharted 2. And he makes a point of that multiple times throughout the review.

I know it's hard for you to comprehend, but it is what it is.

IllumiNate

The game is obviously incredible! so whats the point of caring about review scores? The only worry is that the campaing is only 8hrs long. I will be playing it on hard my 1st time through

zoukka

sly2thefox said:
First Gears of War 3 receiving an 8/10, considering GOW2 got a 9/10 and now this.
Seems like all sequels automatically receive 1 point less regardless of how many refinements and additions. They rarely rank sequels higher just because its a sequel.

Deep research.

FL6xn.png

we are at giorgio level 3 insanity

will we reach level 4????

StuBurns

Banned
Secret_Riddle said:
Maybe it has less to do with raw processing power, and more to do with the art and execution? The whole "it's not the size, but how you use it" type thing.

Art direction is typically covered in 'presentation' in IGN reviews.

For Simon Parkin, I think his problem with Uncharted is that because its trying so hard to be a movie, its less and less like a video game. It does what it does well, better then just about anybody, but what it does kinda stifles player interaction for the sake of cinematic experience.

Secret_Riddle said:

Good point.

V_Arnold

sly2thefox said:

People who are unable to respect a reviewer's right to have an opinion and shitting on them with 2-3 liners like this are the joke at this point, honestly.

Especially when the Eurogamer review is SPOT ON. You do not need to share that view, therefore you can continue enjoying the game, if you are on a different opinion ;)

nib95

Banned
Just watched the IGN video review. My face melted and my mind was blown. Spoilerish, but definitely loved what I saw. Looks spectacular. Gametrailers video review time now lol.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
For Simon Parkin, I think his problem with Uncharted is that because its trying so hard to be a movie, its less and less like a video game. It does what it does well, better then just about anybody, but what it does kinda stifles player interaction for the sake of cinematic experience.

No more or less than the majority of games out there though. Or should I say, pretty much all non sandbox games, and even then still some of them too. I'd say in some senses Uncharted gives you more control than a lot of third or first person shooters what with the mix of stealth and platforming options.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
"There's nothing wrong with a big, dumb feel-good matinee, and Uncharted 2 certainly deserved every accolade laid at its feet, but is that really what we're going to point to as our very medium's best in the last 12 months? Dead Nazis, yetis, stubble and one-liners? It's like picking The Temple of Doom over the Seventh Seal.

"As a piece of spectacle, Nathan Drake's rip-roaring adventure is certainly peerless in 2009: not even Modern Warfare 2's airport massacre scene could top its parade of arresting set-pieces. It's also a technical marvel, effortlessly outclassing anything else on the platform. Naughty Dog's gleeful trading of the washed-out, desaturated colour schemes that have characterised the mainstream gaming aesthetic for three years for exuberant high-contrast tones bespeaks the developer's wider aim: a celebration of childlike wonder over try-hard maturity.

"But at the end of the rollercoaster ride, there's a nagging feeling: was I, the player, really an integral part of all that? Peel away the visuals and put a sock in Nolan North's mouth (so he can no longer win you over with his warm quips) and the systems that underpin Uncharted 2 are straightforward and lightweight. There are relatively few places for players to feel as though they're doing something particularly well or changing the story in tangible ways. It's closer to an interactive movie than we might wish to admit.

"It may be a stunning, game-changing interactive movie, but in its cozying up to the triumphs and techniques of that elder medium, there's a danger that Uncharted 2's success may take us away from the potential that videogaming has twitching in its womb."

I understand exactly what he's getting at and think he raises some valid points. I think someone earlier in the thread was talking about this very thing.

I guess MYST was a piece of shit too? Did we really do anything in MYST other than pick a location to click on?

LOL. People need to deal. Naughty Dog has to work with the system resources they have been given. The multi player has plenty of "gameplay" enjoyment right?

Uncharted does Uncharted better than anything else, including Tomb Raider.

Red

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Yeah exactly. And no one can deny that it's a good time. But whenever someone tries to open up a conversation about it it turns into "SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG IT IS THE GREATEST."

Dragon

Banned
V_Arnold said:
People who are unable to respect a reviewer's right to have an opinion and shitting on them with 2-3 liners like this are the joke at this point, honestly.

Especially when the Eurogamer review is SPOT ON. You do not need to share that view, therefore you can continue enjoying the game, if you are on a different opinion ;)

Let's be honest, if there wasn't a number at the end of that eurogamer review and you compared it to some of his other ones, you'd expect it to be more like a 6 or 7 than an 8.

Crunched said:
Yeah exactly. And no one can deny that it's a good time. But whenever someone tries to open up a conversation about it it turns into "SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG IT IS THE GREATEST."

Your terrible strawman argument aside, no one is saying it's the best game ever. People are struggling with his opinion about the game though. You can't knock it for linearity and then almost totally ignore the huge non-linear part of the game, namely multi-player.

Hyuga

Banned
Wazzim said:
Nobody can deny the fact that Uncharted 3 is more of the same, that also means more of the same good stuff but also the same flaws. That means every site giving it a 100 or 10 are joke sites and/or reviewers.
Bwahahahaha! Of course you believe this! ....or, want to believe it.

Daft_Cat

Vire said:

He felt like it loomed in the shadow of Uncharted 2. And he makes a point of that multiple times throughout the review.

What isn't entirely clear (and pretty interesting, in my opinion) is if his opinions would be reversed had Uncharted 3 been Uncharted 2..If the game releasing next week was the same game as Among Thieves..and Drake's Deception was a two year old game now..would the latter have the 5/5 and the former a 4/5?

If so, then it confirms the kind of thing I was arguing for a couple pages ago. It has less to do with quality, and more to do with that initial impact. Both games could be pretty much equal..but Sessler likes the one that came first because that freshness factor hit hard for him.

In the end, maybe it's just splitting hairs. If you're an Uncharted fan..it's hard to be disappointed with the scores!

Vire said:

No, he unfairly suggested that perhaps the game came out too soon after Uncharted 2 and even said that maybe he hasn't had time to digest the game yet. It's a shitty review.

Pranay

Their are 5 eurogamer reviews

^_-

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [France] - 9/10
Eurogamer [Portugal] - 9/10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

why are people just looking at one score :|

Secret_Riddle said:

The art team at Naughtydog are some of the best in the business. And infinityward does have some talented environment designers, but no where close to the level of ND. And ND's new project is going to be even better in the design department.

Darknessbear said:
Holy shit, you are so right.

Gears of War 2 - 93.32%
Gears of War 3 - 91.70%

Resistance 2 - 86.71%
Resistance 3 - 84.64%

Even though both GoW3 and RE3 are LEAGUE better than the 2nd.
Um, excuse me, but you can't apply mathematical precision to numbers. That 93.32% isn't just higher than 91.7, it means something completely different. Aren't you even, like, educated and stuff?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
nib95 said:
Just watched the IGN video review. My face melted and my mind was blown. Spoilerish, but definitely loved what I saw. Looks spectacular. Gametrailers video review time now lol.

You're already super hyped for the game. Why watch more footage now when it's only a week away? The review isn't going to say anything novel or that you couldn't have intuited yourself. But it is going to show you things that you could experience for the first time while actually playing.

CozMick

Banned
Pranay_ said:

^_-

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

People don't give a shit about the high scores, those will be forgotten upon release.

The 8's however will be etched in stone for all of fanboy eternity.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
"...there's a danger that Uncharted 2's success may take us away from the potential that videogaming has twitching in its womb."

Jesus, I can't believe someone actually wrote that for a video game review.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
VIVIblkmgIc said:
Um, excuse me, but you can't apply mathematical precision to numbers. That 93.32% isn't just higher than 91.7, it means something completely different. Aren't you even, like, educated and stuff?

The numbers are indicators of subjective experience, not objective quality, therefore they can go down even when objective quality goes up. And they tend to, because novelty counts for a lot when it comes to the subjective experience numbers.

Dragon

Banned
VIVIblkmgIc said:

Listen Vivi. I love FFIX, but don't be an ass!

Vire

ThisWreckage said:
No, he unfairly suggested that perhaps the game came out too soon after Uncharted 2 and even said that maybe he hasn't had time to digest the game yet. It's a shitty review.
What is going on with the self entitlement here.

You guys are pretty unbearable. Later folks.

Pranay_ said:

^_-

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

They're all utterly inconsequential. I await the score from Eurogamer [Luxembourg]: only they matter.

nib95

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Holy shit, you are so right.

Gears of War 2 - 93.32%
Gears of War 3 - 91.70%

Resistance 2 - 86.71%
Resistance 3 - 84.64%

Even though both GoW3 and RE3 are LEAGUE better than the 2nd.

I actually preferred Gears 2 to 3 and could give you a whole host of reasons why but won't do in this thread. But Resistance 1 was a good degree better than Resistance 2. Haven't played R3 yet I'm ashamed to say.

LeonSKennedy90 said:

Exactly...it's a legitimate criticism about the approach of the game design in general. I don't agree necessarily with the score he gave but he articulated his issues with the game in general very well.

Red

Dragon said:
Your terrible strawman argument aside, no one is saying it's the best game ever. People are struggling with his opinion about the game though. You can't knock it for linearity and then almost totally ignore the huge non-linear part of the game, namely multi-player.
And just because multiplayer is there, a campaign review or criticism is not invalidated.

But my post was a poor strawman, I'll admit. But it does apply to several people in this thread.

darkwing

Pranay_ said:

^_-

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

uk > czeck,italy,france,portugal

Daft_Cat

Darknessbear said:
The art team at Naughtydog are some of the best in the business. And infinityward does have some talented environment designers, but no where close to the level of ND. And ND's new project is going to be even better in the design department.

Agreed 100%. Their sand totally tops their snow as well, and that's really all that will matter come GOTY time!

VIVIblkmgIc said:

I'm not sure if you're joking, but you're actually on to something. The scores can't be seen independently of their individual contexts. Context and perspective are everything when it comes to any kind of meaningful criticism.

Radec

Pranay_ said:

^_-

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

9.2/10 Average.

Not bad.

lucius

CottonBaller said:
The game is obviously incredible! so whats the point of caring about review scores? The only worry is that the campaing is only 8hrs long. I will be playing it on hard my 1st time through

Yeah I had more fun playing U2 on hard,crushing is even fun, it not like some other games where the harder difficulties are just cheap game is designed well to play on harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom