• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Lo

Given that most reviews have been more than just positive, it looks like the game's going to definitely worth the price of admission. I hope it does at least as well as sales wise as it has done review wise.

Crunched said:
Yeah exactly. And no one can deny that it's a good time. But whenever someone tries to open up a conversation about it it turns into "SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU'RE WRONG IT IS THE GREATEST."

Right, I think UC2 is in my top 15 video games I've ever played, but out of those 15 games, its least "video game" of them all. I can almost play it on auto-pilot, there's not a lot of brainpower or depth behind its flashiness, nor a system that encourages replaying and trying to get better and upgrade your abilities like some of my other favorite games(Bayonetta, Resident Evil 4, Chrono Trigger, etc). It has streamlined and perfected the act of scripting, action set pieces, animation, voice acting, and all those other components of presentation that makes it so instantly accessible and amazingly satisfying to experience, at the cost of player interactivity. And that's fine and dandy for what they're doing, but it does kinda undermine what separate video games for other entertainment mediums like TV and movies and such(in that the consumer takes an active role in it).

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just jumped in this thread, but are people talking about Eurogamers 8/10 review? Isn't their "scale" a lot different from most websites?

SimonParkin Simon Parkin
@jdfoster00 I actually don't think it is strong a game as the second one, and only some of that is down to familiarity with the template.

That quote kinda gets me--can't wait until he reviews a sequel in the near future. Why fix what isn't broken? Every single sequel in modern times has the same exact template.

reKon

Banned
Surprised at Adam Sesslers review... he pretty much contrasts to Uncharted 2, but doesn't give the rating based on gaming as a whole. You can go ahead and count how many games got a 4/5 and 5/5 from X Play and end up saying, what the fuck? I know ratings aren't everything, but it's pretty ridiculous that this game couldn't get a 5. They've just exposed their rating systems flaw or completely forgot about the the meaning of giving it 5, under THEIR OWN standards. I think that Eurogamer fell into the same trap

wotter

Sn4ke_911 said:
Can you go everywhere you want?
Uncharted has never been about exploration. I will say the sand stuff has been done a bit differently then I expected. Not in a bad way, just... different.

Wazzim said:
Does the platforming still feel scripted and/or clunky at times? Are there areas with more freedom for better exploring?
- It all feels more or less the same as in U2. There's a bit less trial and error as in U2 (I died a lot less during platforming) especially when using ropes or chains.
- Not really area's where you can go 'full explorer' mode, everything is rather tightly scripted. I can see where the eurogamer review is coming from, but imo it doesn't deserve such harsh criticism. I also disliked the fact that the everything is a bit too controlled for lack of a better word, but the pro's definately outweigh the con's in this case. If you liked the direction naughty dog went with U2, you will most certainly love U3. Simple as that.

Gully State said:
Exactly...it's a legitimate criticism about the approach of the game design in general. I don't agree necessarily with the score he gave but he articulated his issues with the game in general very well.

But the approach in game design has been done for over 25 years. Hello, Monkey Island. Zork.

Just because parts of a game tell a story that take the control away from the gamer, that doesn't mean the games are any less "game" than a title that has no cut scenes or QTEs.

Wing Commander 3 was a great game, yet it had a ton of QTE in it. Doesn't mean the game wasn't great, nor did it's release mean that the industry was heading in the wrong direction.

Seems odd that the reviewer appears to have forgot games that have come before.

Emitan

reKon said:
Surprised at Adam Sesslers review... he pretty much contrasts to Uncharted 2, but doesn't give the rating based on gaming as a whole. You can go ahead and count how many games got a 4/5 and 5/5 from X Play and end up saying, what the fuck? I know ratings aren't everything, but it's pretty ridiculous that this game couldn't get a 5. They've just exposed their rating systems flaw or completely forgot about the the meaning of giving it 5, under THEIR OWN standards. I think that Eurogamer fell into the same trap
So if someone doesn't give the game the score you want, they forget what their scores mean?

jackdoe

Shadow780 said:
looking at the Eurogamer reviewer's twitter, I wouldn't want to be him right now.

Less than 24 hours away! SUPER HYPE!
I was about to ask what's in 24 hours, but then I remembered the AMC event!

If you owned a PS3, you'd buy this game. It's that simple as far as scores are concerned. If you didn't own a PS3, you'd have decided by Uncharted 2 if you'd buy it for Uncharted, a fantastic set of games.

The difference between a 9 and 10 metascore average is marginal in this case. Very few games in history have ever scored close to a 10 meta average, as should be the case.

Thoraxes

Vire said:
That's not how the rating system works. It's judged based on it's peers on the platform. Not what is currently available elsewhere on the market.

That's why a game like Mario Galaxy can still get a 9.5-10 in the graphics department because it is the shining example for the platform and what is capable of.
While I do agree with you, I think what we've been shown of BF3 on PC so far is definitely a beacon of achievement for the platform as far as fidelity goes in relation to all pre-modded games on the platform.

But yes, different reviewers and such (PS3 game is gorgeous) make a difference too.

The actual content of the reviews are mixed though. Some are saying it's better than Uncharted 2 and some are saying it isn't. That's the only the thing that should really matter, imo.

According to G4, Gameinformer, and various others:

U2>U3

LeonSKennedy90 said:
For Simon Parkin, I think his problem with Uncharted is that because its trying so hard to be a movie, its less and less like a video game. It does what it does well, better then just about anybody, but what it does kinda stifles player interaction for the sake of cinematic experience.
I can't seem to understand the critique. For myself who enjoys well done narrative game design(very rare), his skepticism and forced praise feels like it is the result of a mismatched personal taste disconnected to the Uncharted series as a franchise.

Emitan

GregLombardi said:
If you owned a PS3, you'd buy this game. It's that simple as far as scores are concerned.

I own a PS3 and don't own a single Uncharted game and never had any intentions of buying U3. Funny how many PS3s Sony has sold yet Uncharted sells like 5 million tops.

this thread is a train wreck. one almost as entertaining as the train wreck in Uncharted 2.

i see we're now having a wonderful argument about whether or not 10/10 = 100% = 5/5. it doesn't. i also see that we're using the average of review scores to compare games. you just can't.

scores are relative to the time the game releases. to the other games in the same genre. to the platform the game is released on. the point of giving a game a score is to give you a quick idea of if it's any good.

it isn't so you can qualitatively rate where it fits in the gaming league tables stacked against every other game on every other platform regardless of the genre.

you can't compare a 5/5 to a 100% score, so you shouldn't.

scores are stupid. ignore them. read the review, decide if the criticisms are something that will bother you or not. learn which reviewers have similar tastes to yours if you're going to read reviews.

don't bitch that the score doesn't seem to match what is implied by the text. just ignore the score.
don't bitch that a FPS or a survival action game got a higher score than an action platformer. it doesn't fucking work that way.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The numbers are indicators of subjective experience, not objective quality, therefore they can go down even when objective quality goes up. And they tend to, because novelty counts for a lot when it comes to the subjective experience numbers.
No, that's true. But none the less, all scores can be translated to percentiles. If people don't like percentiles they have to stop scoring (ie ShackNews).

Daft_Cat

LeonSKennedy90 said:
LOL I was gonna say this, looking at you avatar, but you already on top of things. That, plus "WTF no Heath Ledger? 8/10"

Haha. It'll probably get even weirder.

"A remarkable sequel, full of exquisite production design, stellar performances, and a smart script. Not only is TDKR one of the best films of the year, it's also a nearly perfect conclusion, even if it does lack some of the impact of its predecessor

Final Rating: 2/4, very poor"

MechaX

This... is a lot of hubbub over review scores that will in no way deter a vast majority of the posters here from buying the game upon release.

zoukka said:
The burden of proof is yours to enjoy buddy.
More than enough.
Eurogamer thinks GOW2 and R2 are better than their sequels. Most of Gaf who have played either series knows thats not true. They rate games based on "freshness" which doesn't bode well with me and I will be be skeptical of their future reviews.

Pranay

LightOfTruth said:
The actual content of the reviews are mixed though. Some are saying it's better than Uncharted 2 and some are saying it isn't. That's the only the thing that should really matter, imo.

According to G4, Gameinformer, and various others:

U2>U3

Acc to sixth axis, ign, and various others

uc3> uc2

so lets leave this bleh

Dragon

Banned
Billychu said:
I own a PS3 and don't own a single Uncharted game and never had any intentions of buying U3. Funny how many PS3s Sony has sold yet Uncharted sells like 5 million tops.

As far as first party IPs this gen, besides the obvious gangbusters of Nintendo's Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, etc, I'd say that's pretty good.

Emitan

Dragon said:
As far as first party IPs this gen, besides the obvious gangbusters of Nintendo's Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, etc, I'd say that's pretty good.
He was saying everyone who owns a PS3 buys Uncharted. U2 sold about 5 million copies as far as I know. There are way more than 5 million PS3s.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Why did this Simon dude even review this game in the first place?

He said the game isn't as good because of "familiarity with the template" lol

And UC was never open world people...it was always pretty linear.

thuway

I really hope we see a few more 10 out of 10s. I really want to see it on top this year on metacritic. Lets go Uncharted!

Xplatformer said:
But the approach in game design has been done for over 25 years. Hello, Monkey Island. Zork.

Just because parts of a game tell a story that take the control away from the gamer, that doesn't mean the games are any less "game" than a title that has no cut scenes or QTEs.

Wing Commander 3 was a great game, yet it had a ton of QTE in it. Doesn't mean the game wasn't great, nor did it's release mean that the industry was heading in the wrong direction.

Seems odd that the reviewer appears to have forgot games that have come before.

And his thoughts on those games are....Also a big criticism towards the whole point and click genre in general is its linearity. There is only one solution to each puzzle and it's defined by the developer's logic (which leads to player frustration). That is a criticism on linearity. And at the end of the day, the reviewer still praises the other aspect of UC3's linear design, which is the ability to deliver compelling visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom