• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Shameless said:
Why does this site allow all those Metacritic kids to call a respected site like Eurogamer a troll site?
Because the mods themselves are Uncharted fanboys/girls?

Plus it's largely inoffensive in the grand scheme of things. If they were racially insulting or overly vulgar in their criticisms of the review - then we might have a problem. Till then - this is NeoGAF for better or worse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cheska said:
I respect the reviewer's score, and I really don't think Eurogamer is doing this for attention. I just think Simon Parkin has bad taste in games.

My problem with some of the complaints is that people who scored UC2 higher are scoring this lower. Naughty Dog has pushed the system to it's limit, and being that UC2 is close to perfection, they had very little to improve on. I have no doubt that they listened to feedback about the single player campaign and tweeked what needed to be fixed.

In the end, the sites that actually matter have not let us down.

Pretty much.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dragon said:
You mean left aligned sites are hideous? Someone should tell them it isn't 1997.

Maybe its not rendering right in chrome, but font sizes all seem out of whack and generally look like a mess. It also crapped out after a refresh... weird.

SolidSnakex said:
You're definitely not describing Uncharted on Crushing. I remember quite a few people here being extremely pissed about how hard the original game was. Lots of "How can the AI be so accurate with headshots" comments. The second one wasn't as hard, but it'll definitely frustrate you and is in no way and auto pilot game.

That's a different kind of thing, and in fact, I think things like Crushing really go against the main appeal of Uncharted. By making the game frustrating to play, requiring more patience and do-overs, it totally does away with the cinematic immersion. Things that were impressive the first time through when you just attempt it, succeed, and move on to the next cool thing are now repeated half a dozen times, wearing out whatever initial appeal they had. Its not like the game has any more depth at Crushing. There's no upgradable system of weapons, no great combat system that you'll see YouTube montages about, no sandbox of combat situations and solutions like Halo or Vanquish. Its still the same Uncharted, with its quick but lightweight and straightforward shooting, but now much more frustrating cuz the enemies kill you in two hits instead of eight. It directly undermines the strengths the series is built on.

Riposte said:
This Simon Park fella has a surprising understanding of videogames for a reviewer. Virtually no other critic would make these criticisms(making them little more than useless in my book). I got to check out his review...

I find his points slightly mute...the visual experience, narrative and presentation, is part of the reason is so good...It basically seems like he wants the game to be something else. I can actually count the number of games on one hand in my 20+ years of gaming that I felt that my decisions in the game actually carried some weight.

FINALBOSS

Banned
StuBurns said:
I don't understand your complaint, he doesn't think it's as good as UC2, unless he's lying to piss people off, that tweet seems fine.

The problem with the tweet is that he doesn't think it's as good as UC2 because he's familiar with the formula of the Uncharted series...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ars Technica review is out:

Uncharted 3: the new standard for action gaming

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/uncharted-3-review.ars

Verdict: Buy

The best part is about puzzles:

The game features plenty of puzzles, and they're all very clever. It's hard to get frustrated, since the game does a wonderful job of helping you along with hints provided by the other characters and by your notebook, but you still get a sense of satisfaction when you figure something out. Each scene with a puzzle is delightful, with an eye for the visually pleasing as well as for the mentally taxing.

jackdoe

LeonSKennedy90 said:
That's a different kind of thing, and in fact, I think things like Crushing really go against the main appeal of Uncharted. By making the game frustrating to play, requiring more patience and do-overs, it totally does away with the cinematic immersion. Things that were impressive the first time through when you just attempt it, succeed, and move on to the next cool thing are now repeated half a dozen times, wearing out whatever initial appeal they had. Its not like the game has any more depth at Crushing. There's no upgradable system of weapons, no great combat system that you'll see YouTube montages about, no sandbox of combat situations and solutions like Halo or Vanquish. Its still the same Uncharted, with its quick but lightweight and straightforward shooting, but now much more frustrating cuz the enemies kill you in two hits instead of eight. It directly undermines the strengths the series is built on.
However, for all that it takes away, it makes the game much more tense and exciting. That's why I play both Uncharted on Crushing and Gears on Insane. The other difficulties are just not challenging enough.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Clear said:
My god, Eurogamer's page redesign is hideous. That offended far more than their review score for Uncharted3!

awful. go try to search for an old article or review.

nelsonroyale said:
I find his points slightly mute...the visual experience, narrative and presentation, is part of the reason is so good...It basically seems like he wants the game to be something else. I can actually count the number of games on one hand in my 20+ years of gaming that I felt that my decisions in the game actually carried some weight.

No...

The strict, linear design and tight camera management may contribute to a sense of being a semi-spectator on a fairground ride, but the benefit of this design approach is that it allows the team to focus every ohm of PlayStation processing power onto what is on screen at any one time. And so Uncharted 3 routinely stuns with its visuals. Turn a corner on a castle parapet and the camera pulls out just enough to take in the warm glow and detail of a French town far below. It is spectacular and the regularity of these jaw-dropping moments dizzies the mind.

While he points out the shortcomings of the linear design, he also credits it to UC3's visual strengths.

Anyways, if some of you guys need something to rage about, rage about the fact that Amazon still refuses to price match Newegg on UC3...

nib95

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:

It has a tonne more depth on crushing. AI and general difficulty force you to use your surroundings and platforming/stealth arsenal far more effectively. You're also forced to be more patient, or use cover more effectively too. Add to that sprucing up your aim for extra head shot accuracy is a must too.

Honestly, it really adds a whole host of value and the feeling of reward to the franchise. The best thing about gunplay in Uncharted that deviates it from other first or third person shooters is the vertical or spacial tactical options, the ability to jump around, climb, take cover behind high hanging sign posts (and flip over or around these as well to change cover direction in an instant) etc, it all adds a whole new dimension of fun to battles and gives you the option to play more tactically.

The harder difficulties imo make the entire experience more believable and engrossing.

Riposte

nelsonroyale said:

It basically seems he wants the game to be have substance. In other words to have mechanical depth over flashiness. Yeah, those things made Uncharted 2(and 3 probably) worth playing, but they are shallow aspects.

Then again, he really liked MW2. Hopefully for not the similarly "heavily scripted", style over substance campaign. MW2 was paced and scripted more or less the same as UC2, but way less impressive in most aspects.

Lord Error said:
Ars Technica review is out:

Uncharted 3: the new standard for action gaming

Not while Vanquish exists(from last year). This is why I hate how overrated cinematic games are. Critics use it to spit on the best examples of game design.

Dever

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
The problem with the tweet is that he doesn't think it's as good as UC2 because he's familiar with the formula of the Uncharted series...

He's saying that while UC3 might technically be better than UC2, it simply doesn't have the same impact as UC2 because it's so similiar to UC2. Do you think he should've reviewed the game as if he'd never played Uncharted before? I think that's an unreasonable standard.

WhyMe6

I'm not too surprised with some of the reviews, I'm just not really an Uncharted type of guy (despite the fact I love so many other action/adventure games). I loved the first game, went into the second one expecting the same level of greatness and was let down, and now I'm not too keen on the third.

Uncharted 2, despite it's fantastic characters, enjoyable writing and beautiful environments, is overall pretty damn boring. Those continual bullet sponge firefights - that outlast their welcome all too often - the pacing - when I found out about that "last" area, I audibly scoffed in disbelief that the game was still going - and the platforming - really aren't very fun.

Maybe I didn't have these problems in the first game because it was five hours long? I didn't play the second game until a good 2 years after the first - is it possible to get "fatigued" from a game after a gap like that?

Uncharted 2 was bland, repetitive and stale, despite the creativity of Naughty Dog delivering in almost every other area. I guess the series really isn't for me, but I can definitely see why there are some lower reviews than others. Heck, I'm surprised there aren't even lower scores out there (sites need to stop reviewing on a scale of 6 - 10, but this is the wrong thread for that...)

Satchel

Banned
That IGN review really read like one they're going to apologise for years down the track.

Reads like it was basically written by a fanboy, which is kind of icky.

One of Uncharted 2's complaints was that it was too much like 1? Errr, no, Uncharted 2's problem was that it WASN'T enough like 1.

So if 3 is different from 2, I have high hopes it's more like 1.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dragon said:
Ars really likes Elena 2 not Elena 3.
Looks like it. They seem to have some other negatives too, but I'm trying not to read any reviews as they spoil thing too often. But yeah, that caught my eye too. I dunno, from the cutscenes she didn't look all that different to me.

KingK

I think the problem with the Eurogamer review is he passes off linear game design as a criticism. He even states that the game is exceptional in it's linear design, but he obviously doesn't like this type of game and would prefer a more open world game, so he docks points from the score.

I have no problem with someone not liking linear games, but I don't think it's appropriate for a publication to have someone review a game from a genre that they just don't like.

I don't really like puzzle games (I like games that have some puzzles, like Zelda, but not games where puzzles are the entire premise). Because of this, I really didn't enjoy Portal when I tried to play that. If I had to review Portal, I would give it something like 5-6/10 based on personal opinion, citing the fact that it's nothing but puzzle after puzzle as a criticism. If I did so, and worked for a major publication, I would be mocked, and rightfully so. Objectively speaking, Portal is one of the best puzzle games out there, and deserves a very high score. Similarly, Uncharted is objectively one of the best linear action games out there, and I don't think it's unappropriated to criticize Eurogamer for having someone who's not a fan of the genre review the game.

Note: I think a score of 8 is fine. I don't give a fuck about the number, I'm just commenting on the review's constant criticism of linear game design.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Dever said:
He's saying that while UC3 might technically be better than UC2, it simply doesn't have the same impact as UC2 because it's so similiar to UC2. Do you think he should've reviewed the game as if he'd never played Uncharted before? I think that's an unreasonable standard.

I think an unreasonable standard is punishing a game for being similar to UC2--and by similar we mean set pieces only. It's in a completely different environment with completely new characters.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Well there's also multiplayer, which I think was the biggest issue with the Eurogamer review. The purpose of single player is to engage a player in a story. Purpose of multiplayer is for a long term gameplay experience (sandbox, upgradables, etc)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
StuBurns said:
I don't understand your complaint, he doesn't think it's as good as UC2, unless he's lying to piss people off, that tweet seems fine.
People want the same jump Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted. Instead we got AssCreed II to Brotherhood. Better, but its clear they are refining the formula.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Well yes, it is a personal taste, that's usually how reviews are written. The man clearly liked it, very much, but ultimately disappointed at the shallowness of the actual gameplay. Uncharted is designed to maximize success, and eliminating the frustration. You'll make stupidly large leaps of faith whenever the game requires you to do it, you'll always have ammo on hand, puzzle solving is always a select-button away. But because of all this streamlining, all this concession to the player skills, the challenge and depth get removed alongside the frustration and the confusion. You sacrifice pretty big things to achieve what Uncharted achieves, and whether you think that price of admission is worth it is really up to you, on a personal level.

I LOVE this shit, but I totally GET why someone wouldn't.
I'd like to hear more opinions about shallow gameplay. I find the gameplay in Uncharted to be one of the richest tactical shooters on the market. Rich in level design, A.I., encounters, maneuverability, stealth, and weapons. The game doesn't allow you to customize the character, level up, or explore an open world. The lack of options or choice shouldn't be the measure of depth in gameplay. I still enjoy the original Uncharted on crushing difficulty because of the quick decisions and twitch aiming required to survive the aggressive A.I.

As for the puzzle and platforming. The puzzle element has been disappointing. Since the ratio of puzzle solving to shooting is miniscule, I see it more akin to the vehicle driving sections to break up the shooting. Platforming in the same way. The platforming in Uncharted is contextual and adventure-like, unlike precise timed jumping in Mario or Tomb Raider. It fits the franchise as it is more of a tactical shooter with traversal than a pure platformer. It serves to give good pacing to the narrative and gameplay.

If Uncharted feels like you're coasting through the story, I suggest you to put on hard or crushing. It's a whole another game.

Emitan

MuseManMike said:
Is this what this thread has come to?
People posting opinions? It was relevant to what I quoted.

Dragon said:
Since he admitted earlier he never bought Uncharted 2 I think he's just messing around.
I've played Uncharted 1 and 2. Borrowed them from a friend. But I was never compelled to pay money for them.

nib95

Banned
Riposte said:
Not while Vanquish exists(from last year). This is why I hate how overrated cinematic games are. Critics use it to spit on the best examples of game design.

Billychu said:
I liked Brink more than Uncharted 2.

Yea...so as was mentioned about bad taste...

Joke. Sort of. Lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Riposte said:
You can complain about cinematicness, and that's fine if you don't like it, but the fact remains that Uncharted is one series that does it right - it actually lets you play through its most cinematic scenes, instead of showcasing them through cutscenes or QTEs (the later also being in Vanquish)

Dragon said:
I have a 3D TV but haven't bothered to get the glasses. You obviously think it's worth it. But the third gen glasses for my Panasonic are really overpriced. I mean the Avatar pack is still hovering around 300 bucks. I wonder if UC3 can maintain that 30 fps with 720p/3D.

It did fine in the beta.

(Panny owner here too). The price for the glasses is horseshit.

Uncharted 2, despite it's fantastic characters, enjoyable writing and beautiful environments, is overall pretty damn boring.

And that's where I stopped reading.

I get some of the complaints (and others, not so much), but one it isn't is boring. Then again, I enjoy just exploring in games like AC/RDR/Infamous 2, so maybe I just enjoy some of those quiet moments to take things in.

I really don't understand how you could like U1 and not like U2.

Nah. In terms of action games, there's better out there.

Remember that time when Uncharted 1 came out and it received a reasonably warm reception? It was nicer, you know before things got out of hand. Insulting the EG reviewer just makes the fan base look worse.

I like the series but don't love how scripted the campaigns are at times, like Eurogamer I prefer games with more freedom with how to interact with the environment, not necessarily sandbox games. Part of a game's fun is experimentation after all. 8/10 would sum up my personal experience with the series so far but then again that opinion doesn't have anything to do with the Metacritic score, so there's none of that same pressure to conform.

Vire

Satchel said:
That IGN review really read like one they're going to apologise for years down the track.

Reads like it was basically written by a fanboy, which is kind of icky.

One of Uncharted 2's complaints was that it was too much like 1? Errr, no, Uncharted 2's problem was that it WASN'T enough like 1.

So if 3 is different from 2, I have high hopes it's more like 1.
That's why I think it's very important to distance yourself from a game and then review it. It's really easy to get caught up in the moment and make a rash judgement. Otherwise you sound like a frothing fanboy (IGN) and not like a professional (Edge/GiantBomb).

SykoTech

Vire said:
Because the mods themselves are Uncharted fanboys/girls?

Nice. Now the people whiny and crying about the fanboys have become more annoying than the fanboys themselves. Guess that's the cue to leave and wait for the |OT|.

WhyMe6 said:
I'm not too surprised with some of the reviews, I'm just not really an Uncharted type of guy. I loved the first game, went into the second one expecting the same level of greatness and was let down, and now I'm not too keen on the third.

Uncharted 2, despite it's fantastic characters, enjoyable writing and beautiful environments, is overall pretty damn boring. Those continual bullet sponge firefights - that outlast their welcome all too often - the pacing - when I found out about that "last" area, I audibly scoffed in disbelief that the game was still going - and the platforming - really aren't very fun.

Maybe I didn't have these problems in the first game because it was five hours long? I didn't play the second game until a good 2 years after the first - is it possible to get "fatigued" from a game after a gap like that?

Uncharted 2 was bland, repetitive and stale, despite the creativity of Naughty Dog delivering in almost every other area. I guess the series really isn't for me, but I can definitely see why there are some lower reviews than others. Heck, I'm surprised there aren't even lower scores out there (sites need to stop reviewing on a scale of 6 - 10, but this is the wrong thread for that...)
Whenever I see someone that thinks Uncharted 2 is bland/boring ect. I'm dying to know, what are you comparing it too? Is there a better action/adventure cinematic game out there? I'm not being an ass, I'm just really curious - because I love this type of linear cinematic experience and want to play more like it. Like Enslaved is the only game I can think of (right now) that relates to the Uncharted style - and that was nowhere close. Is there a game I'm missing! Tomb raider? Maybe MGS? But that's a stretch.

Riposte

Lord Error said:
You can complain about cinematicness, but the fact remains that Uncharted is one series that does it right - it actually lets you play through its most cinematic scenes, instead of showcasing them through cutscenes or QTEs (the later also being in Vanquish)

Uncharted's cinematic moments are practically QTEs which are slow to punish you. They have that level of depth going for them. Their purpose is to make something akin to very pretty interactive cutscenes. QTEs in Vanquish are scarce in comparison.

VIVIblkmgIc said:
Some people just don't want games to be like movies, in any shape or form. So they're prejudicial against them.

There is no prejudice going on here. People simply think that stripping away the degree of control and challenge in favor of spectacular cinematic moments is inferior to the best kind of pleasure videogames can give.

Boombloxer said:
Nah. In terms of action games, there's better out there.

Perhaps, but how many them are directly comparable to Uncharted 2/3? A TPS.

Vire

SykoTech said:
Nice. Now the people whiny and crying about the fanboys have become more annoying than the fanboys themselves. Guess that's the cue to leave and wait for the |OT|.
Do you have a problem with my statement? Most forums wouldn't tolerate some of the responses going on in this thread over the scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom