• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raine

Billychu said:
I own a PS3 and don't own a single Uncharted game and never had any intentions of buying U3. Funny how many PS3s Sony has sold yet Uncharted sells like 5 million tops.
Yeah that's quite worth the chuckle...

StuBurns

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Just jumped in this thread, but are people talking about Eurogamers 8/10 review? Isn't their "scale" a lot different from most websites?

SimonParkin Simon Parkin
@jdfoster00 I actually don't think it is strong a game as the second one, and only some of that is down to familiarity with the template.

That quote kinda gets me--can't wait until he reviews a sequel in the near future. Why fix what isn't broken? Every single sequel in modern times has the same exact template.
I don't understand your complaint, he doesn't think it's as good as UC2, unless he's lying to piss people off, that tweet seems fine.

zoukka

sly2thefox said:
More than enough.
Eurogamer thinks GOW2 and R2 are better than their sequels. Most of Gaf who have played either series knows thats not true. They rate games based on "freshness" which doesn't bode well with me and I will be be skeptical of their future reviews.

Different times, different reviewers, same new generation of minds suffering from conspiracy theories about videogame publishers and too much free time.

VIVIblkmgIc said:
You can actually. Its called fractions.
2/3=.67=67%. Thus MetaCritic exists.
so what would IGN score a game they'd give 9.5 out of 10 if they used a five point scale?

would they score it 5/5? (tip, yes they would). so how can you say 5/5 = 100%? when it could equal 95%?

you can't.

reKon

Banned
Billychu said:
He was saying everyone who owns a PS3 buys Uncharted. U2 sold about 5 million copies as far as I know. There are way more than 5 million PS3s.

keep it up with the brilliant posts

Billychu said:
I own a PS3 and don't own a single Uncharted game and never had any intentions of buying U3. Funny how many PS3s Sony has sold yet Uncharted sells like 5 million tops.

New IP this generation, and Sony titles generally don't sell as well as the top selling 360 platform specific IPs.

Doesn't mean the game isn't great.

Quite a few PS3s have been sold as blu ray players only.

Dragon

Banned
Billychu said:
He was saying everyone who owns a PS3 buys Uncharted. U2 sold about 5 million copies as far as I know. There are way more than 5 million PS3s.

Yeah if he said that he's wrong. Sorry I didn't read very closely. Still 10% of its owners isn't bad is it?

Everyone is a bit too sensitive in here on both sides. I'm looking forward to playing the game though, regardless if it's not a leap over 2.

reKon said:
keep it up with the brilliant posts

Hey Billychu is good people, don't get all bent out of shape. I'm starting to think that Mama Robotnik is right :/

Hyuga

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Too many fucks are being given about a miniscule amount of 8's in a sea of 9's and 10's
Yeah, I still don't get it ^^
There are always some "renegades" out there in the review pool.

marathonfool said:
I can't seem to understand the critique. For myself who enjoys well done narrative game design(very rare), his skepticism and forced praise feels like it is the result of a mismatched personal taste disconnected to the Uncharted series as a franchise.

Well yes, it is a personal taste, that's usually how reviews are written. The man clearly liked it, very much, but ultimately disappointed at the shallowness of the actual gameplay. Uncharted is designed to maximize success, and eliminating the frustration. You'll make stupidly large leaps of faith whenever the game requires you to do it, you'll always have ammo on hand, puzzle solving is always a select-button away. But because of all this streamlining, all this concession to the player skills, the challenge and depth get removed alongside the frustration and the confusion. You sacrifice pretty big things to achieve what Uncharted achieves, and whether you think that price of admission is worth it is really up to you, on a personal level.

I LOVE this shit, but I totally GET why someone wouldn't.

Dragon said:
Yeah if he said that he's wrong. Sorry I didn't read very closely. Still 10% of its owners isn't bad is it?

Everyone is a bit too sensitive in here on both sides. I'm looking forward to playing the game though, regardless if it's not a leap over 2.
i'm looking forwards to playing it in glorious Naughty Dog 3D, which i have faith will be fantastic. i wish the reviews had touched on this, because that was actually why i came into this thread, to see how the 3D in this game was.

instead i just found a bunch of crazy people who seem to think game reviewers should be immune to differing opinions.

jackdoe

Billychu said:
Wait, I own 2 PS3s. I guess I should be buying 2 copies.
You should buy three copies along with a Collector's Edition and a PS3 bundle.

But in all seriousness, blanket statements like "Every PS3 owner buys Uncharted 3" don't work. Otherwise, every good game released would be a hit and we'd be getting a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3.

plagiarize said:
i'm looking forwards to playing it in glorious Naughty Dog 3D, which i have faith will be fantastic. i wish the reviews had touched on this, because that was actually why i came into this thread, to see how the 3D in this game was.
And it's a damn shame that no reviewers picked up on this and that it will probably be Digital Foundry who answers the call (if they can put out an article in time for release).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thuway said:
I really hope we see a few more 10 out of 10s. I really want to see it on top this year on metacritic. Lets go Uncharted!

You haven't played it yet so what makes you truly believe it should be at the top? Do you understand how crazy you sound?

It's definitely not going to make it to the top for the year.

I can't believe the whole discussion has essentially focused on one 8/10. The sea of 9's, 10's and glowing praise have kind of watered down the universal praise, no? Not that 8/10 isn't universal praise in the first place.

Daft_Cat

The same thing that's forever loomed in the dark corners of the Uncharted series, even threatening to undermine the fantastic Uncharted 2, has finally become a flaw in Uncharted 3: It's almost..too good.

Dragon

Banned
plagiarize said:

instead i just found a bunch of crazy people who seem to think game reviewers should be immune to differing opinions.

I have a 3D TV but haven't bothered to get the glasses. You obviously think it's worth it. But the third gen glasses for my Panasonic are really overpriced. I mean the Avatar pack is still hovering around 300 bucks. I wonder if UC3 can maintain that 30 fps with 720p/3D.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Well yes, it is a personal taste, that's usually how reviews are written. The man clearly liked it, very much, but ultimately disappointed at the shallowness of the actual gameplay. Uncharted is designed to maximize success, and eliminating the frustration. You'll make stupidly large leaps of faith whenever the game requires you to do it, you'll always have ammo on hand, puzzle solving is always a select-button away. But because of all this streamlining, all this concession to the player skills, the challenge and depth get removed alongside the frustration and the confusion. You sacrifice pretty big things to achieve what Uncharted achieves, and whether you think that price of admission is worth it is really up to you, on a personal level.

I LOVE this shit, but I totally GET why someone wouldn't.

You're definitely not describing Uncharted on Crushing. I remember quite a few people here being extremely pissed about how hard the original game was. Lots of "How can the AI be so accurate with headshots" comments. The second one wasn't as hard, but it'll definitely frustrate you and is in no way and auto pilot game.

Riposte

LeonSKennedy90 said:
"There's nothing wrong with a big, dumb feel-good matinee, and Uncharted 2 certainly deserved every accolade laid at its feet, but is that really what we're going to point to as our very medium's best in the last 12 months? Dead Nazis, yetis, stubble and one-liners? It's like picking The Temple of Doom over the Seventh Seal.

"As a piece of spectacle, Nathan Drake's rip-roaring adventure is certainly peerless in 2009: not even Modern Warfare 2's airport massacre scene could top its parade of arresting set-pieces. It's also a technical marvel, effortlessly outclassing anything else on the platform. Naughty Dog's gleeful trading of the washed-out, desaturated colour schemes that have characterised the mainstream gaming aesthetic for three years for exuberant high-contrast tones bespeaks the developer's wider aim: a celebration of childlike wonder over try-hard maturity.

"But at the end of the rollercoaster ride, there's a nagging feeling: was I, the player, really an integral part of all that? Peel away the visuals and put a sock in Nolan North's mouth (so he can no longer win you over with his warm quips) and the systems that underpin Uncharted 2 are straightforward and lightweight. There are relatively few places for players to feel as though they're doing something particularly well or changing the story in tangible ways. It's closer to an interactive movie than we might wish to admit.

"It may be a stunning, game-changing interactive movie, but in its cozying up to the triumphs and techniques of that elder medium, there's a danger that Uncharted 2's success may take us away from the potential that videogaming has twitching in its womb."

I understand exactly what he's getting at and think he raises some valid points. I think someone earlier in the thread was talking about this very thing.

This Simon Park fella has a surprising understanding of videogames for a reviewer. Virtually no other critic would make these criticisms(making them little more than useless in my book). I got to check out his review...

Cheska

I respect the reviewer's score, and I really don't think Eurogamer is doing this for attention. I just think Simon Parkin has bad taste in games.

My problem with some of the complaints is that people who scored UC2 higher are scoring this lower. Naughty Dog has pushed the system to it's limit, and being that UC2 is close to perfection, they had very little to improve on. I have no doubt that they listened to feedback about the single player campaign and tweeked what needed to be fixed.

In the end, the sites that actually matter have not let us down.

get2sammyb said:
I can't believe the whole discussion has essentially focused on one 8/10. The sea of 9's, 10's and glowing praise have kind of watered down the universal praise, no? Not that 8/10 isn't universal praise in the first place.
exactly. i GET why trolls will focus on the one bad review, claiming that they always trust THAT site more than all the others.

but i don't get why some fans of the franchise can't overlook it. the game is reviewing as well as the last one give or take a single percent. that's no reason to insult a reviewers integrity or start foaming at the mouth.

jackdoe

Dragon said:
I have a 3D TV but haven't bothered to get the glasses. You obviously think it's worth it. But the third gen glasses for my Panasonic are really overpriced. I mean the Avatar pack is still hovering around 300 bucks. I wonder if UC3 can maintain that 30 fps with 720p/3D.
Haha. You gotta pick up the glasses in a discounted bundle when you purchase the TV. Otherwise, you'll be raped by overpriced accessories.

Mooreberg

Hyuga said:
Yeah, I still don't get it ^^
There are always some "renegades" out there in the review pool.
I'm not sure what the point is of caring if it is site you've never heard of before. I've never seen "Gamer's Globe" mentioned in a single thread before this one. The whole point of sites like IGN, Giant Bomb, and 1up is having a frame of reference, or even better, knowing exactly what the tendencies are of a particular editor (although admittedly I have no fucking clue who the people are on 1up anymore other the spectacularly talented Mike Phillips).

If somebody like Shoemaker gave it a 4 out of 5 and had a very clear description of something that went horribly wrong than I'd know there is something to be concerned about. Random internet site or somebody from G4 aren't opinions I'm particularly concerned about... ever.

Cheska said:
I respect the reviewer's score, and I really don't think Eurogamer is doing this for attention. I just think Simon Parkin has bad taste in games.

My problem with some of the complaints is that people who scored UC2 higher are scoring this lower.
Uncharted 3 can both be a better game than Uncharted 2 was, and less impressive here in 2011 than Uncharted 2 was in 2009.

is that really hard to grasp?

hell, if Uncharted 2 came out in 2011 it would get lower scores than it got in 2009, and why shouldn't it?

Cheska said:

How does he have a bad taste in games when ultimately he really liked UC3?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My god, Eurogamer's page redesign is hideous. That offended far more than their review score for Uncharted3!

Dragon

Banned
Clear said:
My god, Eurogamer's page redesign is hideous. That offended far more than their review score for Uncharted3!

You mean left aligned sites are hideous? Someone should tell them it isn't 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom