• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

Beam said:
Why Nofi is there? He reviewed a game and gave it 10. I don´t get it.

i don't think mama realizes that nofi is posting his/her own review, so it looks like nofi is demanding everyone buy it as a reaction to other peoples reviews.

Cheska

Mama Robotnik said:
Hall of Fame updated once again, now standing at forty-one quotes ranging from troubling to fanatic horror. Some of these are really uncomfortable to read.

If any of these are meant to be sarcastic or ironic then I can't tell. Quite frankly given the genuine posts we are seeing regarding this "controversial" score, its long since been impossible to tell the sardonic from the serious.

I think we're over the worst of it now though. Hopefully.

I wonder how long it'll be until Mama Robotnik comes out and tell us he's been joking with us all along, and that he's actually Simon Parkin lol.

Mama Robotnik said:
Hall of Fame updated once again, now standing at forty-one quotes ranging from troubling to fanatic horror. Some of these are really uncomfortable to read.

If any of these are meant to be sarcastic or ironic then I can't tell. Quite frankly given the genuine posts we are seeing regarding this "controversial" score, its long since been impossible to tell the sardonic from the serious.

I'm still not on there huh...

But in reality, I think Eurogamer is essentially JEALOUS of NeoGAF - and for that they try and crucify our community by giving UC3 a bad score.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mama Robotnik said:

Why do you have nofi there? Unless you think he's insane for reviewing the game as high as bunch other places did?

Moobabe

Mama Robotnik said:

Love it - especially the praise for IGN. The Eurogamer review isn't even that bad either :S

zoukka

nib95 said:
Uncharted 3 is not and was not ever meant to be a sandbox game with the freedom you speak of.

He's talking about the game fine tuning your movements in critical sections, and you spin it as "hurr Uncharted is not open world" nonsense? How is that even possible?

nib95

Banned
zoukka said:
How the hell did that contribute to anything or anyone?

What and his response did?

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Wait for Skyrim/Zelda

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Prettier but with less depth. Sounds like Uncharted!

You guys seem quick to lambast fans with critsisms and mockery, but i'm starting to think maybe some of you were/are just trolling to begin with.

Empty said:
i don't think mama realizes that nofi is posting his/her own review, so it looks like nofi is demanding everyone buy it as a reaction to other peoples reviews.

Exactly right, I'll remove that quote with apologies to nofi.

It looked like someone had seen the score as it was published, immediately linked it with "BUY" without reading the text of the review, and hit post. Now I understand the situation better and know that he was linking to his own review. Again, apologies for that one.

Loudninja said:
Not sure why he is taking the time to do this,I can do the same thing in an other review topic.

If you find a thread with responses to a review that are as interesting as these ones, I invite you to take similar action.

zoukka said:
Some men just like to take action.

I feel cool now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Odd review for sure, but I'm somewhat happy about it because I have the feeling NDI is pushing the cinematic angle too much and needs to focus more on the actual gameplay which doesn't seem to be much improved upon honestly.
That's selling them short, I feel. Try playing UC1 after you've played UC3. I think you'll be surprised at how 'lesser' the gameplay and controls feel. I know I sensed that after playing UC2 already, and I don't see them regressing on it.

xion4360 said:
Ill never understand linearity complaints with Uncharted. Its a linear game by design. What's the use of complaining about it? It's like complaining that Elder Scrolls is too open and expansive.

Uncharted is a roller coaster. You have no control over where it takes you, but its sure to be an awesome ride.
But the ride loses its punch somewhat after you've ridden two very similar rides before and this one feels like they've just rearranged the hills and turns and put a new coat of paint on it. And it REALLY loses its punch when you know that none of the events of the ride even end up mattering and its just a closed circuit at the end of which all status quo will be restored.

Some people think the game can be improved by a little bit of innovation and story/character progression. Some people like to keep eating flavorless wallpaper paste that has been dyed a pretty color and served to them in a very nice bowl.

xion4360

plagiarize said:
not everyone likes linearity in games. some of those people are reviewers. some of those people may be looking to see if they'd like Uncharted 3 after not having played the first two. those people will be glad that there are reviewers that share their dislike of linearity.

linearity isn't objectively bad, but there's nothing wrong with subjectively thinking it's bad.

personally linearity doesn't bother me at all, but the last one WAS linear, and not everyone likes linearity in games. so deal with the fact that one of them is a reviewer.

Its not like I care that it was a complaint in the review. I was directing my comment at the overall discussion here in the thread where people seem so displeased with Uncharted being linear. If you dislike that aspect then uncharted as a series is less appealing to you from the get-go. To now come in and say "boo hoo Uncharted 3 is too linear" is ridiculous. You know what the basic formula of uncharted is, and to expect that to be different this time doesn't make any sense.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Loudninja said:
Not sure why he is taking the time to do this,I can do the same thing in an other review topic.
I dunno, I'm a Nintendo fan, I've seen some of the most rabid in people, and even I think some of the quotes in this thread are....ludicrous.

zoukka said:
He's talking about the game fine tuning your movements in critical sections, and you spin it as "hurr Uncharted is not open world" nonsense? How is that even possible?
he can't accept that someone can have the honest opinion of the game being an 8/10. since his review backs up his opinion quite nicely, he's trying to frame it as making a stupid argument. which is hard, because it really doesn't.

because it's a valid, if rare, opinion.

and even if he scored a bunch of totally linear games higher, it doesn't change anything. that's like telling the cop that the guy infront of you was speeding too and the cop didn't pull him over.

but whatever. i'm looking forwards to the game. the criticisms in that review are ones that i know will not bother me, so i can read it and get excited about it. hell, i read that review before i came into this thread and it basically put the game from a maybe to a definately for me.

i come here, and that same review is apparently an affront to naughty dog because the reviewer dares not like what they were trying to achieve.

zoukka

nib95 said:
What and his response did?

Concerning this guy wanting to explore a big desert area? I think his recommendations were quite apt don't you think?

You guys seem quick to lambast fans with critsisms and mockery, but i'm starting to think maybe some of you were/are just trolling to begin with.

Ah the classic troll/conspiracy shit. Keep ignoring anything that might expand your horizons.

Famassu said:
Not in a large sense, but it did often give you these mini-playgrounds where you could approach the situation in a few different ways. If Uncharted 3 doesn't have those, then yes, it is inferior to Uncharted 2 and Eurogamer's review has the truth of the matter. If Uncharted 3 is like Uncharted 2, then I can't fathom how U2 got a 10 and U3 an 8.

I actually liked the stealth elements, it was super hard to not alert the shootouts but in some of the sections I was able to beat them using only stealth.

Yoboman

Gold Member
ProfessorMoran said:
They could probably add more platforming stealth but with more freedom, but I wouldn't complicate the controls anymore than as things stand.
Holding a button to grip is fairly intuitive IMO. The only place it starts getting tricky is when you need to shoot.

It needs another layer to the platforming and I think most would agree to that. The problem is precision platforming in a realistic game doesn't work well. You get good platforming in games like Mario and inFamous cause the characters can do things like double jump or hover to adjust in mid air, you can't do that in Uncharted

Mama Robotnik said:

Bravo, good sir.

This shit is embarrassing.

xion4360 said:
Its not like I care that it was a complaint in the review. I was directing my comment at the overall discussion here in the thread where people seem so displeased with Uncharted being linear. If you dislike that aspect then uncharted as a series is less appealing to you from the get-go. To now come in and say "boo hoo Uncharted 3 is too linear" is ridiculous. You know what the basic formula of uncharted is, and to expect that to be different this time doesn't make any sense.
that doesn't invalidate the complaint though does it?

if someone thought U2 was too linear... if U3 is also too linear to their tastes they aren't allowed to say so? seriously?

jett

D-Member
If it's true that ND has diminished the opportunities for stealthplay instead of expanding on them I'll be honestly disappointed.

Of course knowing how game writers are they probably never even bothered to play stealthy. :p

Garjon

The_Technomancer said:
And I think people boiling the review down to "the game is too linear" are missing the implications of the important quotes:

Its not about linearity, its about the game putting you in a sequence in which you believe you have control over Drake, but in which the game is actually "tweaking" your motions behind the scenes to make sure you play "correctly"
That guy is absolutely spot on. This was one of the worst aspects of UC2 and from the videos I've seen, is set to make a return in this game. I think this is a problem with linear game design in general since it's probably the easiest way to keep a game exciting whilst forcing the player down a select route. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that with advances in tech, it's harder to disguise it well to keep the game flowing. The tank chase in particular is an example of this.

Cruzader

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
And I think people boiling the review down to "the game is too linear" are missing the implications of the important quotes:

Its not about linearity, its about the game putting you in a sequence in which you believe you have control over Drake, but in which the game is actually "tweaking" your motions behind the scenes to make sure you play "correctly"

Im sure they had to do it in order to not break the "experience" and from you constantly dying from doing the wrong jumps or jumping a tad too late in a sequence thus making you fail, etc.

I dont get the "the devs basically give you fake freedom but shove you were you need to go" thing because thats what all linear games do and no ones is saying Uncharted is not linear. I guess my beef is they are pointing the obvious and jacking points for it.

Honestly ND have to learn from this experience as they are the only ones doing the type of Hollywood-esq sequences that go far and beyond your typical game. (animations of your character portraying correctly the actions that are supposed to occur)

Famassu

plagiarize said:
it's really difficult to understand this i know...

but Eurogamer isn't a person. Eurogamer is actually a website, and it has different reviewers write for that website, and different reviewers reviewed the two games.
Review scores are often discussed with other people of the staff. One person might want to give the game an 8/10 at first, another a gushing 10/10 review and after discussing and thinking about it more, they settle that 9/10 is the best score.

Holy Shit, just got home and read the IGN review. I didn't think they would give it a ten, congrats ND. Fuck the wait is unbearable. And its okay Eurogamer, I still like you.

nib95

Banned
plagiarize said:
the developers intentions are completely seperate to my enjoyment of a game. to my knowledge though, the games you cite don't let you go somewhere you aren't supposed to and then just make you drop dead for daring to explore. if i'm walking down a pressurised corridor in space, i don't expect to be able to just pop and side and float over to that asteroid.

there is a difference in perception between a game that dangles the carrot of a place you can potentially reach, that then kills you for daring to reach it, and a game that keeps you locked in clearly defined boxes.

I can't comment on U3, but I can take a guess based on U2. My guess is this was Simon exaggerating the situation. U2 never killed you just for veering off point (unless you attempted to make some weird jump or something), the Uncharted franchise rewards you for exploring, in-fact you have to if you're collecting treasures.

Where you die for veering off point is during critical points, such as during chase scenes, whilst a bridge or building is collapsing and so forth. These are the points when going off tangent can land in an insta kill, but it's very clear and obvious, even from a common sense perspective, you're not supposed to at these points.

So again, it seems like a dud point. Funny though that he was the only one to mention this insta kill problem. Chances are he's trying too hard too push the games explorative boundaries, even when common sense goes against it. But we'll know for sure on release.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Lord Error said:
That's selling them short, I feel. Try playing UC1 after you've played UC3. I think you'll be surprised at how 'lesser' the gameplay and controls feel. I know I sensed that after playing UC2 already, and I don't see them regressing on it.
Yup, UC3 is significantly tighter and better feeling than UC1 was. ND have made a lot of not so obvious strides

Just the general animation makes a big difference. Weighty animations for example. I was playing UC1 and I never realised the jump animation was so bad, Drake does this little half hearted hop when jumping over big chasms

Cheska

Raitosaito said:
Edit: Did someone in this thread really state Eurogamer is a less credible website than IGN?

lol

Not sure if this was meant to be towards me since Mama felt the need to quote me twice about essentially the same thing, but no where did I ever mention IGN specifically. There's 36 scores on Metacritic, 33 of them which scored higher than Eurogamer. Are you guys really saying Eurogamer is the most credible website out there and that none of those other 33 hold a candle to it? I know you guys aren't that delusional.

Ricky_R

Are there any standards for reviewing games? Is being linear part of a genre? Is it right to complain about a genre or design that has been used since the beginning of gaming?

Are developers seeing linearity as an old gaming design that needs to evolve?

Just some questions I have.

Famassu said:
Review scores are often discussed with other people of the staff. One person might want to give the game an 8/10 at first, another a gushing 10/10 review and after discussing and thinking about it more, they settle that 9/10 is the best score.
Eurogamer does not do this.

Eurogamer assign different reviewers to the review in different countries. Each is free to give their own score.

what other sites may or may not do isn't relevant to what Eurogamer do.

zoukka

Famassu said:

And often the score doesn't change at all... or it might change even farther from the average!

Famassu said:

So when did you gain the insight to understand their specific editorial process?

Garjon said:
That guy is absolutely spot on. This was one of the worst aspects of UC2 and from the videos I've seen, is set to make a return in this game. I think this is a problem with linear game design in general since it's probably the easiest way to keep a game exciting whilst forcing the player down a select route. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that with advances in tech, it's harder to disguise it well to keep the game flowing. The tank chase in particular is an example of this.
That's not really true though. If you look at the train level in Uncharted 2, the whole thing was that you had to fight on that train, and traverse it without getting knocked off. That meant hanging from the side of it, getting on the roof, and getting in the cabins at different points. There are things that happen around the player to some degree, but usually the physics end up affecting the gameplay. I mean, the automic jumping is such a lazy critique. The game isn't a platformer, and the environmental challenges (like the train) don't have to do with precision jumps, so much as strategic positioning, and so forth. Many games use automatic jumping now based on animation---Assassin's Creed and Arkham City are two other examples.

Darknessbear said:
I'm still not on there huh...

But in reality, I think Eurogamer is essentially JEALOUS of NeoGAF - and for that they try and crucify our community by giving UC3 a bad score.

As much as I'd love to add it, I'm pretty sure that you've done that one on purpose. The list is all the more terrifying as it appears most of the fanatic exclamations are genuine.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
If it's true that ND has diminished the opportunities for stealthplay instead of expanding on them I'll be honestly disappointed.

Of course knowing how game writers are they probably never even bothered to play stealthy. :p
I really wish someone who has played the game could tell me if it's now possible to chose between snapping the bad guys' necks and putting them in a chokehold until they faint.

The very first gameplay video with the cruise ship suggested this was possible but I've never seen it confirmed or talked about later.

Yoboman said:
Holding a button to grip is fairly intuitive IMO. The only place it starts getting tricky is when you need to shoot.

It needs another layer to the platforming and I think most would agree to that. The problem is precision platforming in a realistic game doesn't work well. You get good platforming in games like Mario and inFamous cause the characters can do things like double jump or hover to adjust in mid air, you can't do that in Uncharted

It depends, if you're going to integrate combat into platforming, having to hold a button to grip is cumbersome, plus you have to consider whether that feature makes it into MP or not and something like this would absolutely be a no-no for MP.

zoukka

nib95 said:
So again, it seems like a dud point. Funny though that he was the only one to mention this insta kill problem. Chances are he's trying too hard too push the games explorative boundaries, even when common sense goes against it. But we'll know for sure on release.

If I know anything about gamers, it's that they always try to get where you are not allowed to go. I remember reading some literature about this phenomena too.

nib95 said:
I can't comment on U3, but I can take a guess based on U2. My guess is this was Simon exaggerating the situation. U2 never killed you just for veering off point 9unless you attempted to make some weird jump or something), in-fact the Uncharted franchise rewards you for exploring, in-fact you have to if you're collecting treasures.

Where you die for veering off point is during critical points, such as during chase scenes, whilst a bridge or building is collapsing and so forth. These are the points when going off tangent can land in an insta kill, but it's very clear and obvious, even from a common sense perspective, you're not supposed to at these points.

i found it interesting because i do that. i try to push the boundaries. i'm never upset if the game just instakills me though... but i am always pleasantly surprised by things like Crysis's shark or Deus Ex Invisible War's smog, or Serious Sam's heat stroke.

i can see how a desert environment might be more difficult to create geographical boundaries in, and i can see potentially them having to resort to something like instakills for going 'off path' but yes, we'll see what he really means when the game comes out.

cause i ALWAYS try to go off path. it's a joy for me to get outside the 'allowed' area. i can't really explain it :)

sonicmj1

There are all different kinds of linearity. I think people are beating up on a strawman. Eurogamer's critique isn't "why isn't this like Infamous or Red Dead". It has to do with how the action plays out within those setpieces.

For instance, Enslaved is linear. Mirror's Edge is linear. PoP 2K8 is a non-linear collection of linear levels. In Enslaved, you pretty much can't jump off a ledge to your death, because the only valid platforming control options are the ones that move you between the ledges and stuff you need to get to. Each button press in Prince of Persia is a shorthand for an elaborate set of motions, turning complex movements through 3D space into something closer to a QTE. Mirror's Edge, on the other hand, leaves an enormous amount of room for player agency in its platforming. There are many ways to succeed or fail any given platforming challenge.

Having not played Uncharted 3, it's hard to tell where on the continuum of controlled gameplay scenarios it falls. What I'm trying to illustrate is that it's possible to like some linear, directed experiences while finding others too limiting, just as some open world games are more "open" than others.

Of course, there's no reason any review should agree with every reader, so I don't get why everyone thinks the Eurogamer review absolutely has to come from the place of someone who is in total agreement with everything the franchise has historically stood for. There are only so many times you can read "If you loved Uncharted, you'll love Uncharted" before it becomes predictable.

nib95

Banned
zoukka said:
Concerning this guy wanting to explore a big desert area? I think his recommendations were quite apt don't you think?

How does he (or you) know you can't explore U3's desert? Or that Zelda or Skyrim will have a desert you can explore?

zoukka said:
If I know anything about gamers, it's that they always try to get where you are not allowed to go. I remember reading some literature about this phenomena too.

Heck I do this too. I just don't expect my ventures to be successful all that often. Unless of course it's a sandbox game. To be fair, I thought U2 was pretty good at this and allowed you to explore a fair bit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Famassu said:
That's not really true. They have complete freedom to give whatever score they want, especially in a large site like Eurogamer. I think Shane was really vocal about Killzone 3's 9.4 review in GT, as he whined about it later in Invisible Walls. So yeah I doubt it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:
How does he (or you) know you can't explore U3's desert? Or that Zelda or Skyrim will have a desert you can explore?
I actually laughed out loud, right here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom