• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Eurogamer review really did put too much emphasis on the cinematic/puzzle elements of Uncharted, which are definitely an important part of the package (and I agree with the criticism there), but not as much as the gunplay and its traversal quality. Yet, gunplay was dismissed in a few lines.

Odd review for sure, but I'm somewhat happy about it because I have the feeling NDI is pushing the cinematic angle too much and needs to focus more on the actual gameplay which doesn't seem to be much improved upon honestly.

nib95

Banned
xion4360 said:
where did all the motion blur go? slightly disappointing to see an effect removed but otherwise stunning all around.

You know what, some people asked this the other day. Apparently it's to do with the way it's been captured or with the preview? Which I didn't understand. But someone on ND twitted that motion blur was definitely in for the final game, not seeing it those screens! Anyone with the final retail game confirm?

deepbrown

I am interested to know whether the linearity is more or less than UC2 because I understand they allowed players to go multiple roots (slightly in that game) and intended to allow even more. If they've allowed less, I expect the decision was deliberate - so I'd like to know why.

Perhaps it's because you can create more variety in your personal play style now (shooting/cover shooting/hand-to-hand/stealth etc.)?

GDJustin said:
Eurogamer is right - the game does basically force you to play the game how ND wants. Right down to "adjusting" your jumps. It's more linear than virtually ANYTHING else out there, because not only is the adventure linear, but all the moments within the adventure are completely scripted. It's arguably the least dynamic AAA game out there.

In Uncharted you shoot many many people in the face, non-linearly. On the harder difficulties, tactically.

If that didn't comprise the core gameplay I wouldn't play Uncharted, because the "adventure elements" are too streamlined to carry weight on their own. But since the shooting of people in the face is quite "robust" (as Eurogamer put it), those elements gain an ornamental value they wouldn't have on their own. Same goes for the visuals, the writing/acting, real time cinematics etc. If the spine isn't there it falls apart.

Don't get me wrong, I've been harping for more depth in platforming from this series since day 1. But maybe that would crimp the flow of the combat. *shrug* What ends up on balance is what counts for me. (mechanics, ai, level design etc). What is it trying to do and is it doing it well?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
deepbrown said:
I am interested to know whether the linearity is more or less than UC2 because I understand they allowed players to go multiple roots (slightly in that game) and intended to allow even more. If they've allowed less, I expect the decision was deliberate - so I'd like to know why.

Perhaps it's because you can create more variety in your personal play style now (shooting/cover shooting/hand-to-hand/stealth etc.)?
There were no multiple routes in UC2

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
The Eurogamer review really did put too much emphasis on the cinematic/puzzle elements of Uncharted, which are definitely an important part of the package (and I agree with the criticism there), but not as much as the gunplay and its traversal quality. Yet, gunplay was dismissed in a few lines.
From the small quote on Ars Technica I had the impressions that the puzzles are much better than before. Or did they complain that they exist in the first place?

nib95

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Wait for Skyrim/Zelda

I guarantee those games won't have a desert that is as realistic, beautiful or well realised as it is in U3. Bigger (maybe), but that's about it.

beast786 said:
Looks good. Been trying to avoid any spoilers. So far so good.

As per typical review thread.

People gets hype...... reviews come in........ some question low score while other question high score... then people complain about people who discuss about the scores in a REVIEW THREAD and lol at them.
reviews, you may have noticed, are primarily composed of these things known as words. review threads contain links to reviews.

it's not a 'review scores' thread. it's a review thread. forgive me for hoping that one day we'll have a review thread where the bulk of the discussion is about the meat of the review, and not the numerical distilation of it.

the only time people seem to talk about what the reviews actually say, is when they try to disprove the scores they disagree with, by showing the text of the review proves that the reviewer doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

this is not how it should work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ahaha, this thread is amazing. Between IGNs laughable review (reminds me so much of their MGS4 review, which also got straight 10s) and everyone freaking out about Eurogamer and they're completely "outlandish complaints" about the game taking control away from you when you're supposed to have the illusion of control...

Yeah, I've laughed a few times.
Still going to love the hell out of this game though, at least as soon as my friend with a PS3 lets me borrow it for a couple days...

KAL2006

Banned
I think complaints of Uncharted series being too linear is ridiculous. That is the whole point of the game, it is to have scripted action set pieces, if you had exploration then the set peices would not be as polished, or ND would have to create many set pieces for each option the player takes which would be extremely expensive and a huge task to do. As long as it's like Uncharted 2 where the shootouts are quite open space where you can take down enemies with a variety of options. The main negative of the the Uncharted series is the platforming/traversal is too easy, I think ND need to improve on those aspects. A way they can do that is make the traversal/platforiming sections much harder by having enemies shoot at you while you are platforming (so you need to constantly find good cover while platforming).

Cruzader

Banned
nib95 said:
I guarantee those games won't have a desert that is as realistic, beautiful or well realised as it is in U3. Bigger (maybe), but that's about it.
Exploration with crap graphics > Well done scenarios with gorgeous detail and presentation confirmed.

Dragon

Banned
Uncharted 3 will take a long time to get up to 40 pages in its OT. I have a feeling anyway. And yet I think we've done 30 pages today.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lord Error said:
From the small quote on Ars Technica I had the impressions that the puzzles are much better than before. Or did they complain that they exist in the first place?

They complain they are too easy and basically solve themselves.

nib95

Banned
Cruzader said:
Exploration with crap graphics > Well done scenarios with gorgeous detail and presentation confirmed.

I'm going to guess some level of exploration will exist in U3's desert. If you like to collect treasures it's almost going to demand it.

Unless you want little creatures to pop out and Drake to pull out a sword and start swinging or something? Lol...

KAL2006 said:
I think complaints of Uncharted series being too linear is ridiculous. That is the whole point of the game, it is to have scripted action set pieces, if you had exploration then the set peices would not be as polished, or ND would have to create many set pieces for each option the player takes which would be extremely expensive and a huge task to do. As long as it's like Uncharted 2 where the shootouts are quite open space where you can take down enemies with a variety of options. The main negative of the the Uncharted series is the platforming/traversal is too easy, I think ND need to improve on those aspects. A way they can do that is make the traversal/platforiming sections much harder by having enemies shoot at you while you are platforming (so you need to constantly find good cover while platforming).
if someone doesn't like linear games, and they are assigned to review one, are they supposed to pretend like linearity isn't something they think is a flaw?

i tell you all this, i really don't miss the days of having to review games. i espescially don't miss having to attach a score at the end of those reviews.

Dragon

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Hall of Fame updated once again, now standing at forty-one quotes ranging from troubling to fanatic horror. Some of these are really uncomfortable to read.

If any of these are meant to be sarcastic or ironic then I can't tell. Quite frankly given the genuine posts we are seeing regarding this "controversial" score, its long since been impossible to tell the sardonic from the serious.

I think we're over the worst of it now though. Hopefully.

I made the list!!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And I think people boiling the review down to "the game is too linear" are missing the implications of the important quotes:

Even in this chase the conflict between the developer's theatrical choreography and player-controlled interactions is clear. In order to ensure each set-piece is set off correctly, the game commits the cardinal sin of insinuating you have full control of your character, but in fact tugging you towards trigger points - making sure you're in the right spot to tumble over the bonnet of that braking car, for example.
Likewise, mistimed leaps are given a gentle physics-defying boost to reduce the staccato rhythm of having to restart a section. It's entirely understandable given what the developer is attempting to achieve - an unbroken flow of action that leads to climax - but, at the same time, beneath the spectacle there's a nagging feeling that your presence in the scene is an irritation rather than a preference.
Its not about linearity, its about the game putting you in a sequence in which you believe you have control over Drake, but in which the game is actually "tweaking" your motions behind the scenes to make sure you play "correctly"

TheOddOne

KAL2006 said:
So, you agree that it's too linear?

Famassu

EloquentM said:
There were no multiple routes in UC2
Not in a large sense, but it did often give you these mini-playgrounds where you could approach the situation in a few different ways. If Uncharted 3 doesn't have those, then yes, it is inferior to Uncharted 2 and Eurogamer's review has the truth of the matter. If Uncharted 3 is like Uncharted 2, then I can't fathom how U2 got a 10 and U3 an 8.

beast786

plagiarize said:
reviews, you may have noticed, are primarily composed of these things known as words. review threads contain links to reviews.

it's not a 'review scores' thread. it's a review thread. forgive me for hoping that one day we'll have a review thread where the bulk of the discussion is about the meat of the review, and not the numerical distilation of it.

the only time people seem to talk about what the reviews actually say, is when they try to disprove the scores they disagree with, by showing the text of the review proves that the reviewer doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

this is not how it should work.

Oh I agree. But unfortunately in this setup you dont have any choice. When you click on a review, the score is given. Which almost forces these type of issues.

If you want people to comment on the content on the review, then maybe no score should be given. But , once you do then people will use it to discuss, compare etc.

Famassu said:
Not in a large sense, but it did often give you these mini-playgrounds where you could approach the situation in a few different ways. If Uncharted 3 doesn't have those, then yes, it is inferior to Uncharted 2 and Eurogamer's review has the truth of the matter. If Uncharted 3 is like Uncharted 2, then I can't fathom how U2 got a 10 and U3 an 8.
it's really difficult to understand this i know...

but Eurogamer isn't a person. Eurogamer is actually a website, and it has different reviewers write for that website, and different reviewers reviewed the two games.

zoukka

nib95 said:

How the hell did that contribute to anything or anyone?

Yoboman

Gold Member
Yoboman said:
I don't agree with that based on UC2. Its not close to the most linear

But I think the games could benefit so much from being more dynamic in the future. The current depth of the games works while ND are so far ahead of everyone else in story, technology and the basics are amongst the best. But if they want to keep the game ahead of the pack they need to think more expansively, cause the current formula is not great for iteration.

They wouldn't even have to change the pacing or structure if that is what they are worried about - they just need to add more depth to Drake's toolset.

The idea I've promoted for years is to give Drake a toolbelt with a rope for example that can be used in a number of different ways (climbing, lasooing, grabbing treasures etc.). Be creative, like MGS for example.

My other idea was to give Drake a grip gauge. This has its problems, but right now Uncharted is kind of like Shadow of the Colossus without a grip gauge. Its a fun compelling ride, but if there is no real challenge (outside combat) then it loses a bit.
Just to expand on this - a grip button/gauge makes a lot of sense because of UC's style of throwing collapsing floors/walls at you

It would be a lot more compelling if you were required to hold the r1 button to grip the wall when moments like that occur

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Famassu said:
As I said earlier that's an entirely different statement you're making than what the original poster presented. I'm well aware that you can tackle the gunplay and enemies in different ways but that does not wleauate to their being different routes that lead you to the same goal.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
eurogamers point that the game plays the way ND wants you to play makes total sense.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
They complain they are too easy and basically solve themselves.
Maybe the guy is a real genius then, because I didn't get the impression that Ars' Kuchera is exactly dumb :\

DR3AM said:
eurogamers point that the game plays the way ND wants you to play makes total sense.
Except that I'm not sure how believable that sounds considering the variety of ways you could approach situations in UC1 an 2.

xion4360

Ill never understand linearity complaints with Uncharted. Its a linear game by design. What's the use of complaining about it? It's like complaining that Elder Scrolls is too open and expansive.

Uncharted is a roller coaster. You have no control over where it takes you, but its sure to be an awesome ride.

Raitosaito said:
It doesn't have the number 9 on it

I was wondering, because reading the review nothing stood out. I guess I'm not looking into it too much. I don't really need a review score to know I'm getting this game. I need to complete the trilogy.

Mama Robotnik said:
Hall of Fame updated once again, now standing at forty-one quotes ranging from troubling to fanatic horror. Some of these are really uncomfortable to read.

If any of these are meant to be sarcastic or ironic then I can't tell. Quite frankly given the genuine posts we are seeing regarding this "controversial" score, its long since been impossible to tell the sardonic from the serious.

I just...what. Holy jebus at some of those quotes.

Garjon

I echo the sentiments of several people in here; that Eurogamer redesign is hideous.

Also, 94/100 is astoundingly high, congratulations to Naughty Dog. I probably won't be buying this day one due to having quite a number of games already waiting to be played but I most definitely will be buying this soon enough.

Provided ND don't mess up the multiplayer like they always do.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mama Robotnik said:

Outstanding.

Mama Robotnik said:

Why is Nofi there? He reviewed a game and gave it 10. I don´t get it.

nib95

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
And I think people boiling the review down to "the game is too linear" are missing the implications of the important quotes:

Its not about linearity, its about the game putting you in a sequence in which you believe you have control over Drake, but in which the game is actually "tweaking" your motions behind the scenes to make sure you play "correctly"

I discussed this earlier. This is the same for pretty much all games. Cut scenes and story progression only take place at certain 'trigger' points, and you are to an extent funnelled down a certain path. There's no more or less control over Drake than most similar titles you could name me. Including one's Simon seems to love, such as Modern Warfare 2 and Dead Space 2. In-fact, I'd argue you have MORE control than those games since you can also use environmental design to co-incide with platforming and stealth abilities for more options on how you advance a battle scenario.

The only variance to this rule really is sandbox games where you can deviate and do side quests/missions etc. But they are a completely different structure of game with completely different pacing, narrative implementation, cinematic appeal etc.

Uncharted 3 is not and was not ever meant to be a sandbox game with the freedom you speak of.

Famassu said:

Because it's reviewed by different people with different expectations for a game...

A score doesn't define a game.

Edit: Did someone in this thread really state Eurogamer is a less credible website than IGN?

lol

xion4360 said:
Ill never understand linearity complaints with Uncharted. Its a linear game by design. What's the use of complaining about it? It's like complaining that Elder Scrolls is too open and expansive.

Uncharted is a roller coaster. You have no control over where it takes you, but its sure to be an awesome ride.
not everyone likes linearity in games. some of those people are reviewers. some of those people may be looking to see if they'd like Uncharted 3 after not having played the first two. those people will be glad that there are reviewers that share their dislike of linearity.

linearity isn't objectively bad, but there's nothing wrong with subjectively thinking it's bad.

personally linearity doesn't bother me at all, but the last one WAS linear, and not everyone likes linearity in games. so deal with the fact that one of them is a reviewer.

nib95 said:
I discussed this earlier. This is the same for pretty much all games. Cut scenes and story progression only take place at certain 'trigger' points, and you are to an extent funnelled down a certain path. There's no more or less control over Drake than most similar titles you could name me. Including one's Simon seems to love, such as Modern Warfare 2 and Dead Space 2. In-fact, I'd argue you have MORE control than those games since you can also use environmental design to co-incide with platforming and stealth abilities for more options on how you advance a battle scenario.

The only variance to this rule really is sandbox games where you can deviate and do side quests/missions etc. But they are a completely different structure of game with completely different pacing, narrative implementation, cinematic appeal etc.

Uncharted 3 is not and was not ever meant to be a sandbox game with the freedom you speak of.
the developers intentions are completely seperate to my enjoyment of a game. to my knowledge though, the games you cite don't let you go somewhere you aren't supposed to and then just make you drop dead for daring to explore. if i'm walking down a pressurised corridor in space, i don't expect to be able to just pop and side and float over to that asteroid.

there is a difference in perception between a game that dangles the carrot of a place you can potentially reach, that then kills you for daring to reach it, and a game that keeps you locked in clearly defined boxes.

Yoboman said:
Just to expand on this - a grip button/gauge makes a lot of sense because of UC's style of throwing collapsing floors/walls at you

It would be a lot more compelling if you were required to hold the r1 button to grip the wall when moments like that occur

They could probably add more platforming stealth but with more freedom, but I wouldn't complicate the controls anymore as things stand, sprint is already redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom