• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

EviLore said:
And this is one of the reasons why the enthusiast press is a joke: the people who say things like this, who need games to get a certain score and a certain level of praise in order to justify all the hype and enthusiasm they've put in prior to release. It's effectively DEMANDING that the press gets swept up in the hype too and not actually form their own opinions.

It's not the actual score that's irksome, it's his reasoning behind it. I can totally understand if someone docked a game because it was extremely glitchy and felt unpolished. However, what I'm gathering from his review is that his issues are more about the series in general. It's almost like he hasn't played an Uncharted game at all.

randomkid said:
Heh, you missed the post where Kagari said she "pretty much" agrees!

I must have missed the part where mods are allowed to have opinions too :p

sphinx

the piano man
the only good thing out of this is that the meltdowns caused by a "8/10" prove how important is the Uncharted series for gamers.

This replicates exactly the 8.8 incident but that happened to Zelda, one of the most important series in gaming's history.

reKon

Banned
keltickennedy said:
10/10s. I wonder if they completely changes the multiplayer since that subway release thing? Cause that shit was horribad.

Still, I cannot wait to play this freaking game. All for single player though. If i do end up playing multiplayer it will be the co-op stuff. Personally, that subway competitive multiplayer release made me wanna stay clear away from it. I'm still trying to forget about all those matches with everyone mindlessly hip-firing and spamming nades, jumping all over the place.

Multiplayer feels much better. It's not beta level, but it's definitely better. AK 47 feels way more accurate and there has been A LOT less run and gun due to tweaks. You'll still find a lot of that, but that's because noobs still haven't adapted to the changes in the gameplay yet and that's all they know lol.

deepbrown

zoukka said:
Thanks for sharing.
Well, don't you think it's relevant? Give Uncharted 3 to a reviewer who doesn't like what Uncharted as a series does. Give GTA to a reviewer who's never liked GTA?

Makes perfect sense for a supposedly respected website.

For the record, I don't give the toss about the 8/10 score in and of itself. It's in its historical context.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lightning said:
Has anyone mentioned how long the game is or whether or not the single player is half assed?

Why in the world would the single player be half-assed? It wasn't in UC2.

People aren't giving it 9's and 10's for its multiplayer.

StuBurns

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
The problem with the tweet is that he doesn't think it's as good as UC2 because he's familiar with the formula of the Uncharted series...
Not only does the tweet not say that...
I actually don't think it is strong a game as the second one, and only some of that is down to familiarity with the template.
Even if it did, I don't see how that's an issue, as if he shouldn't factor franchise fatigue into his score.

Gvaz said:
12752697369939o1z8rdb.gif

It's nothing like FF12, having played a bit of ff12 and completed Xenoblade, the two are like comparing apples and oranges where the fruit that is ff12 is rotten.

Also The Last Story is more like Final Fantasy and generally agreed to be a worse rpg than Xenoblade, except that's the one that's more likely to be ported because it's so similar to FF.

Imagine these critic scores for U3 were the user scores for every single person who's ever played Xenoblade, and that's the kind of quality of an rpg we're talking about here.

At the time of Xenoblades release, I saw comparisons between it and XII crop up everywhere, especially in terms of the battle system. That was enough to faze me from ever playing it for like...well, forever.

I'm glad that The Last Story is like Final Fantasy, just so long as the Final Fantasy in question isn't XII.

Grisby

Read some reviews. Good times. Seems like the game is going to be exceptional. I'm a bit disappointed though about the scripting stuff that Eurogamer and Giantbomb mentions, where you have to hit the point developers want you to. Going somewhere your not supposed to bringing on instant death or not hitting the right notes causing a do-over blows.

Still, I didn't have much if a problem with it in 2. Can't wait.

A couple of questions:

1- From watching the GT review the graphics look like they've been downgraded. Please tell me mine eyes have deceived me.

2- Is Naughty Dog making more Uncharted games? Cause I'd rather that than more Jak & Daxter.

Loudninja

deepbrown said:
Hey Loud, just had a scan of some of it - it's really well written and didn't see too many spoilers
Thank you! the fools put a major spolier in their R3 review so I have to be extra careful now.

randomkid

Cheska said:
I must have missed the part where mods are allowed to have opinions too :p

I'm just having fun, I ain't even mad. You have to admit though that "In the end, the sites that actually matter have not let us down" is a hilarious thing to say!

Gvaz

Banned
MuseManMike said:
Quality is not wholly subjective.

Saying it is, is a nonsense argument devoid of reality.
Yes, I think I like you good sir. A person with an actual head on their shoulders.

Acquiescence said:
At the time of Xenoblades release, I saw comparisons between it and XII crop up everywhere, especially in terms of the battle system. That was enough to faze me from ever playing it for like...well, forever.

I'm glad that The Last Story is like Final Fantasy, just so long as the Final Fantasy in question isn't XII.

Here's how it's similar to FF12:

- you don't directly control party members (except to "interject" in certain battle mechanics that pop up where you give them direct orders)
- You have a world you can explore. (the difference between the two is enormous though, one is like being able to traverse anywhere, and having quick travel to almost everywhere, and that cities and zones are different generally (depends on what you're talking about) and the environments are fucking enormous.)

How about, you just play it. It's fucking amazing.

Dever

Banned
Grisby said:
Read some reviews. Good times. Seems like the game is going to be exceptional. I'm a bit disappointed though about the scripting stuff that Eurogamer and Giantbomb mentions, where you have to hit the point developers want you to. Going somewhere your not supposed to bringing on instant death or not hitting the right notes causing a do-over blows.

Still, I didn't have much if a problem with it in 2. Can't wait.

Yeah that's the feeling I got watching things like the cargo plane taking off. Fuck up just a little bit, and you've got to do that exciting, cinematic moment all over again. Though this was also absolutely the case in Uncharted 2 with the building collapse and truck chase.

StuBurns said:
Not only does the tweet not say that...

Even if it did, I don't see how that's an issue, as if he shouldn't factor franchise fatigue into his score.

Its not unreasonable to bring it up, but is that going to be the reaction of most people who are interested in Uncharted? Its been two years since the last game was released to almost universal acclaim. Uncharted is formulaic, but there is room for that in this industry. It certainly doesn't have been to be a point against, and I dont personally think it is with this series. We will have to wait for next gen for them to push things to the next level.

zoukka

Cheska said:
It's not the actual score that's irksome, it's his reasoning behind it. I can totally understand if someone docked a game because it was extremely glitchy and felt unpolished. However, what I'm gathering from his review is that his issues are more about the series in general. It's almost like he hasn't played an Uncharted game at all.

Can you point out these sections from the review please.

Well, don't you think it's relevant? Give Uncharted 3 to a reviewer who doesn't like what Uncharted as a series does. Give GTA to a reviewer who's never liked GTA?

Yes, why not? These are journalists (haha yeah), their job is to critically dissect the experience while they go at it. They are not supposed to be some random internet fanboys, who can't see anything positive in a game if it has certain elements on it. What you are proposing is absurd. Whether or not you see it today doesn't change that fact.

Should Roger Ebert only review his favourite genres? Don't be silly.

kuroshiki

I'm sorry but I wish ND never ever going back making another Jak and Daxter game. Make new IP or continue milking uncharted plz. (or do both)

Vire

Marius_ said:
Is anybody else F5ing the metacritic page every minute to see if the score changes or is it just me
Just you.
randomkid said:
I'm just having fun, I ain't even mad. You have to admit though that "In the end, the sites that actually matter have not let us down" is a hilarious thing to say!
Hilarious? More like incredibly stupid.

Dragon

Banned
Marius_ said:
Is anybody else F5ing the metacritic page every minute to see if the score changes or is it just me

I want M83's score to change considering its transcendence. Uncharted 3's score is fine.

sphinx said:
the only good thing out of this is that the meltdowns caused by a "8/10" prove how important is the Uncharted series for gamers.

This replicates exactly the 8.8 incident but that happened to Zelda, one of the most important series in gaming's history.
I'm trying to contemplate.

So the Metacritc average is basically a pyramid. The workers (reviewers) have to drag the bricks (scores) and place them on top, if all goes right we've got the perfect pyramid (100) It's all in the name of our god, Naughty Dog, who we wish to live in uninterrupted bliss with. Sadly there's the weaker workers who are just dragging the team down and their bricks are slightly crummy and are ruining what could be a perfect pyramid.

Is that how it works? I really have no idea.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
nelsonroyale said:
Its not unreasonable to bring it up, but is that going to be the reaction of most people who are interested in Uncharted? Its been two years since the last game was released to almost universal acclaim. Uncharted is formulaic, but there is room for that in this industry. It certainly doesn't have been to be a point against, and I dont personally think it is with this series. We will have to wait for next gen for them to push things to the next level.

There is such thing as a formulaic entertainment product (not just games) that presents a top-notch quality version of the formula in question, and one that just goes through the motions without ever really wowing the audience/player. Is it so hard to imagine that U2 was the former and U3 could be the latter?

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
While there are some people who believe a reviewer should attempt to produce an 'objective' assessment of a game, I.E. could ultimately give a fantastic score to a game they hate. I am of the opposite opinion. I don't care to see someone speculate about what I might enjoy, I'd rather they just articulate their feelings on the game, and if it being too similar to UC2 hurt the experience for them, so be it.

I loved Uncharted, it was rough, but great, in spots at least, I think about an 8/10 was fair, then UC2 did move the needle in a number of areas, really developed the whole stealth element, and to me stepped up the gunplay to on par with Gears 2, which I'd have said was the best third person shooter mechanically at the time. All those things are very impressive, I think a 9/10 was about right for it. If UC3 hasn't added anything as meaningful as stealth, hasn't improved the game visually to the same degree, hasn't brought the combat up to the new gold standard for third person shooters (which to me is Vanquish), those things will affect my opinion of the game. It might be a better game than UC2, but I'd still think it fair to score it lower.

No one reviews games in a bubble, least of all people who do it for a living.

Gvaz said:
How about, you just play it. It's fucking amazing.

Not nearly enough hours in the day. When you consider that we're in the midst of an overcrowded release window full of triple-A titles, an RPG allegedly reminiscent of FFXII is very very low on my list of gaming priorities right now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I agree with Eurogamer's 8/10 review, which is probably the most negative one I've read. I also agree with IGN's 10/10, which is probably the most positive review I've read.

Eurogamer is right - the game does basically force you to play the game how ND wants. Right down to "adjusting" your jumps. It's more linear than virtually ANYTHING else out there, because not only is the adventure linear, but all the moments within the adventure are completely scripted. It's arguably the least dynamic AAA game out there.

But IGN is also right. The experience itself is SO polished, and SO unlike anything else out there. UC games are an experience. An incredible experience.

Loudninja

GDJustin said:
I agree with Eurogamer's 8/10 review, which is probably the most negative one I've read. I also agree with IGN's 10/10, which is probably the most positive review I've read.

Eurogamer is right - the game does basically force you to play the game how ND wants. Right down to "adjusting" your jumps. It's more linear than virtually ANYTHING else out there, because not only is the adventure linear, but all the moments within the adventure are completely scripted. It's arguably the least dynamic AAA game out there.

But IGN is also right. The experience itself is SO polished, and SO unlike anything else out there. UC games are an experience. An incredible experience.
So its like the other Uncharted games which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom