• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satchel said:
Um, if the MP of 2 and the Beta of 3 is anything to go by, he's not far off the mark.

Multiplayer isn't really Uncharted's greatest strength. Uncharted's gameplay was never designed with multiplayer in mind, so it makes sense that the multiplayer isn't really that good.
But it is

SolidSnakex said:
I just find it funny because Gamespot and their reviews were considered horrid long before that K&L fiasco. Those were mainly run by the people that now work at GiantBomb.

I also don't get how you can criticize IGN for being fanboys for their U3 review and then turn around and praise GiantBomb after Jeff's Arkham City review. Best melee combat in gaming? Now that's fanboyish.

Is the combat much evolved from Arkham Assylum? I enjoyed the combat in that well enough, but it was pretty shallow. Once you got a handle of it, the game basically offered no increased challenge. The Witcher 2 is a little like that in a sense, although that games's combat offered my spatial freedom

Zzoram

SolidSnakex said:
I just find it funny because Gamespot and their reviews were considered horrid long before that K&L fiasco. Those were mainly run by the people that now work at GiantBomb.

I also don't get how you can criticize IGN for being fanboys for their U3 review and then turn around and praise GiantBomb after Jeff's Arkham City review. Best melee combat in gaming? Now that's fanboyish.

Especially since Dark Souls came out a month ago and has better melee combat.

Beam said:
You guys need to chill. Reviews won´t take away from enjoyment of the game.

I think that sales plays a role in the negativity toward some reviews. Gaming companies now regularly talk about wanting to have a certain Metacritic average. But I don't think that it carries nearly as much weight as we're often lead to believe.

Cyberia

Sorc3r3r said:
Any quote on the new A.I. in those reviews?

Bad guys lack visual personality, but Naughty Dog makes up for this by implementing some devious AI. When you have enemies flanking you constantly, vigilance and movement become just as important as the gun in your hand. The game’s more expansive combat bowls provide a panoply of methods through which to navigate the space. One fight plays out in a harbour full of boats sloshing at anchor, creating a breathless mix of shooting, cacophony-muting plunges beneath the water’s surface to avoid gunfire, and pulling yourself up into boats to engage hostiles.

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review?page=2

PSFocus 9.8

deepbrown said:
Reviews look really good. Eurogamers review is very personal, as I expect many reviews are.

However, he argues that the game should be something that it isn't.

Yep, this was Ebert's age old critique of Siskel. Reviewing what you want it to be and not what it is (or aspires to be).

Case in point...

Simon Parkin said:
The shooting - which next to puzzle-solving and scaling the environments makes up a third of the primary interactions in the game - is robust

Uncharted is a shooter, first and foremost. Yet he dedicates one small paragraph to this section. Besides being the bread and butter of the gameplay, it's also an area that doesn't fit the 'handholding' narrative Parkin seemed all too eager to put in the foreground. Forest, trees etc.

Simon Parkin said:
As an expression of all that a video game could be, however...

Who plays a game with this expectation, ever, at all?

Below par for Eurogamer.

reKon

Banned
I get more enjoyment out of analyzing reviewers poor logic in reviewing games than seeing a game in a series I love get 10/10's =p. It's just a self-esteem booster that I know that I could do their job better than they can! Poor gaming journalism =[

randomkid

EviLore said:
And this is one of the reasons why the enthusiast press is a joke: the people who say things like this, who need games to get a certain score and a certain level of praise in order to justify all the hype and enthusiasm they've put in prior to release. It's effectively DEMANDING that the press gets swept up in the hype too and not actually form their own opinions.

Heh, you missed the post where Kagari said she "pretty much" agrees!

This thread has only confirmed to myself that I finally don't give a shit about reviews.

My judgement from a game will now purely come from people playing the game and giving their opinions through podcasts or quick looks (on Giant Bomb).

This thread is certainly one of the craziest I've ever read though. Fucking hell.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yep, this was Ebert's age old critique of Siskel. Reviewing what you want it to be and not what it is (or aspires to be).

Case in point...

Uncharted is a shooter, first and foremost. Yet he dedicates one small paragraph to this section. Besides being the bread and butter of the gameplay, it's also an area that doesn't fit the 'handholding' narrative Parkin seemed all too eager to put in the foreground. Forest, tree etc.

Who plays a game with this expectation, ever, at all?

Below par for Eurogamer.

Yeah, no game I have ever played has reached that mythical potential. But I have played some very good games that have both impressed and satisfied me.

Vire

SykoTech said:
And that has nothing to do with your stupid claim that mods we're allowing stuff because they are Uncharted fanboys. If you were joking all you need to do is say so instead of bringing up unrelated sentences that you made which I've already read.
Literally the post after mine was this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32103659&postcount=3507

So no, I have absolutely no problem calling out the mods.

EviLore said:
And this is one of the reasons why the enthusiast press is a joke: the people who say things like this, who need games to get a certain score and a certain level of praise in order to justify all the hype and enthusiasm they've put in prior to release. It's effectively DEMANDING that the press gets swept up in the hype too and not actually form their own opinions.

And it seems as if EviLore agrees with me.

kunonabi

What's the big deal about the Eurogamer review? If the game really functions like he states than I would consider the score to be too high if anything. I've never played the series but if that description is accurate I couldn't imagine myself giving anything more than a 5/10. Sounds like he was being more than fair.

This logic that if one game in the series gets a 10 then all of them should is the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard. Final Fantasy and Silent Hill are certainly proof of that.

zoukka

deepbrown said:
Oh, that's a bit disingenuous. I'm still asking for personal opinions, just consistent ones.

No you are not. It's one thing to demand consistency from one writer and another thing to propose publifications to regulate their writers so that certain franchises get increasingly better scores. Where I'm from, we call that stupid.

reKon

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Yup. After spending a few weeks on the MP, I can without a single doubt in my mind, say that Sessler is full of shit on this one.

confirmed: Adam Sessler has a ghost writer as he will disappear for the next month

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah_its_Bob said:
Gameinformer gave a 9.5 to Dead Rising 2: Off the Record and Uncharted 3...
I can't understand

You do realize that these reviews are done by individuals, and not a GameInformer hivemind, right? One dude did the DR2 review, and another dude did the UC3 review. Should I hold you accountable for what other GAFfers say? After all, you both post on the same website.

Satchel

Banned
EviLore said:

Reading this post, from you, makes me feel a little more comfortable in here.

Because that post of Mama Robotnik's was downright frightening.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Momo said:
Scale all the scores and derive the standard deviation for this sample. Would be interested to know if and how far Eurogamer lies outside.

Std deviation is 6 points, an 80 is only 14 points lower than the mean 94, so it's less than 3 standard deviations from the mean. Also there are three 80s in the distribution. It's a stretch to call the EG score an outlier.

Pachimari

I would think it would be wrong to ban websites who gives Uncharted 3 an 8 (still a great score). Per se, Gamers Globe (who I work for) who gave it such a score, as we tend to use the whole scale of 0-10 (at least I do), which is exactly what gamers on here are asking for as well.

Anyway, I'm just as excited for Uncharted 3 as I were yesterday. =)

Gvaz

Banned
Acquiescence said:
I was going to, but it garnered too many comparisons to FFXII. I very much disliked that game so I thought it'd be in my best interest to pass on Xenoblade. If we're talking Wii RPG's though, The Last Story looks really great!
12752697369939o1z8rdb.gif

It's nothing like FF12, having played a bit of ff12 and completed Xenoblade, the two are like comparing apples and oranges where the fruit that is ff12 is rotten.

Also The Last Story is more like Final Fantasy and generally agreed to be a worse rpg than Xenoblade, except that's the one that's more likely to be ported because it's so similar to FF.

Imagine these critic scores for U3 were the user scores for every single person who's ever played Xenoblade, and that's the kind of quality of an rpg we're talking about here.

deepbrown

By the way, I would give GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption pretty low scores, because I just don't enjoy them and can only see their faults. I should not be the person to review them.

And if you want to learn how to do consistent scores - you have Edge Magazine. There's a reason why it's respected.

nib95

Banned
Could any of you guys post links to the reviews that also take direct feed screengrabs? Ideally 720p not horrendously compressed (*cough IGN) one's?

Thanks.

Corto

This thread just needs Chubigans to pick the sheer beauty that Chinner so brilliantly created and add it a QTE sex mini game à la God of War.

10/10s. I wonder if they completely changes the multiplayer since that subway release thing? Cause that shit was horribad.

Still, I cannot wait to play this freaking game. All for single player though. If i do end up playing multiplayer it will be the co-op stuff. Personally, that subway competitive multiplayer release made me wanna stay clear away from it. I'm still trying to forget about all those matches with everyone mindlessly hip-firing and spamming nades, jumping all over the place.

Mama Robotnik said:
I've found more quotes of madness and added them to the Page 66 Hall of Fame. I think I can safely say I don't think I've ever seen a thread as fanatical as this over a single review score on GAF before. Well, at least during my time on the board.

Wow, seriously? You're not very adept at detecting sarcasm are you. My Apart from that 8/10 business with Eurogamer... line couldn't have been more tongue-in-cheek and you should've known, considering you quoted me earlier, but conveniently removed the part where I said that the Eurogamer review didn't bother me.

kunonabi said:
What's the big deal about the Eurogamer review? If the game really functions like he states than I would consider the score to be too high if anything. I've never played the series but if that description is accurate I couldn't imagine myself giving anything more than a 5/10. Sounds like he was being more than fair.

This logic that if one game in the series gets a 10 then all of them should is the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard. Final Fantasy and Silent Hill are certainly proof of that.

Invaluable opinion is yours.

Momo

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Std deviation is 6 points, an 80 is only 14 points lower than the mean 94, so it's less than 3 standard deviations from the mean. Also there are three 80s in the distribution. It's a stretch to call the EG score an outlier.
you actually did it? lol

Cruzader

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Yup. After spending a few weeks on the MP, I can without a single doubt in my mind, say that Sessler is full of shit on this one.
Game cant be bagged on graphics/story/gameplay....whats left to nitpick? Multiplayer/co-op.

PS: This is the "wow the snow disappears as you walk" 2.0 Bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom