• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Subway Beta Sharing Thread: Subcharted Frontiers By Subway

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jarmel said:
Somewhat disagree. It means you have to play smarter and not just have the best aim.

And that wasn't achievable by MP games pre-perk system?

Leveling up = playing smarter?

Jarmel

Banned
Wario64 said:
And that wasn't achievable by MP games pre-perk system?

Leveling up = playing smarter?

Depends on the system. For example Black Ops allows you to choose whichever perks when you want to. Having different tiers of perks unlock as you play indeed is bullshit. I'm aware Black Ops does it as well.

Also in these games, 90% of the later perks are almost always useless and for people to troll with.

Agent X

duffyside said:
Yeah, and that was certainly a better choice than making you reach rank 100, but I think Naughty Dog was still a little green with multiplayer and didn't want to push the envelope with their consumers.

Now that they've got their sea legs, and said they want the online to be the "go-to for the PS3," I wonder if they're going to try and make it more enticing trophy wise. Still hope they're smart about it though. I really like the whole "just try it" trophies, but I think they should have made people try it more than just once. Something like "play every map at least twice" would be a good trophy, for instance.

I believe the reason why they don't have too many "extreme skill" trophies for multiplayer is because there are also a lot of unlockable items within the game itself. A lot of multiplayer games have goodies like unlockable character skins, icons, titles, and things like that, which can act as a representation of your multiplayer gaming prowess. IMO, that's preferable to trophies, since you can show them off within the realm of the game itself.

I think you have a good idea with things like "play every map at least twice" that encourage people to go a little deeper than merely dipping their toes into the pool. I do think there's room for some skill-based multiplayer trophies, that are attainable using a moderate amount of skill, such as "get 50 online kills".

duffyside said:
I think it would be incredibly smart for there to be 10 or 15 trophies you could attain by playing this freebie multiplayer. I hope they do that.

Yes, that would be a good idea as well.

From Sony's perspective, in order to encourage game sales, they might treat trophies in this multiplayer period similarly to how they treat the one hour trial games for PlayStation Plus members. In the one hour trials, you could fulfill the requirements to earn trophies, but the trophies wouldn't be awarded to you (meaning they don't appear on your trophy list) until you play the full game (by buying it, or at least borrowing or renting it). Doing this would encourage players of this U3 multiplayer game to get their hands on the final U3 disc in order to receive their trophies.

HYDE

Banned
BobTheFork said:
No Swag or copies of the game? I didn't see it listed on the promo specs. Lame, I'd hate to load up the game day 1 and have a ton of people already halfway to max level.

You would regardless, there will always be dumbfuck laggers in every fucking mp game ever. Don't even get me started on the glitchers or other shit.

Jarmel said:
Wow promotions really are killing gaming. Now players who buy products before others can get a month headstart on everybody. Might as well just sell this shit straight.
I agree !

terrible promotion .

Could it be, that is a way for them to promote the multiplayer part of the game? (because we all know now that the real money is there .... map_pack, subscriptions, hats, dlc etc etc)

As others said, right now really few buy Uncharted for the MP

Grisby

So I walk into Subway on the 20th, buy a drink, and get a code for the full MP with transferable stats/rewards?

What.

Yeah, I'll do that.

Facism

I'm from the camp where you needed a lot more than aim and worrying about the other players hp. Movement skills, map control and knowing how to escape are all a part of the skill equation. Besides, what aim skills do you need in a console shooter when half the aim is assisted for you?

Mikey Jr.

Bruiserk said:
Are we getting this promotion in Canada as well?

They said North America.

North America is United States, Canada, and Mexico.

If it was USA only, they probably would have said US residents only or something like that.

September 29th? But that's battlefield 3 territory!

On and it'll be fucked up if it doesn't have an expiry date and stays even after the game is released, cause I can really see people renting the game for singleplayer and buying drinks from subway for permanent multiplayer.

jcm

Dambrosi said:
Since I very much doubt that UK Subway will follow suit (they only just started the £5 Footlong deal here, for an example of just how far behind their US parent they are), I, too, would appreciate a US GAFfer buying a refillable soda on my behalf.

You can keep the Coca-Cola, though. Nasty, cane syrup-filled shit, not like our superior sugar-saturated to EC standards British Coke.

Cane syrup is delicious, but isn't in our Coke. They use high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) here in the USA. We use corn in nearly everything we eat, and HFCS is in lots of surprising foods. Even Subway's "9 grain wheat bread" has more HFCS than whole grain (and gets its color from ammonium sulfate and caramel color!). Fun fact: of the 45,000 items in the average American supermarket, more than 25% of them contain corn.

We now return to our regularly scheduled video game discussion.

geebee

Banned
Why are people thinking of this as an advantage? If you choose not to play the MP early, there will be others that did the same. Besides, there's always matchmaking to play games with others of a similar level, right?

thetechkid

Wake up
Eat Subway for breakfast
Go to School
Eat Subway for lunch
Go home
Eat Subway for dinner
Sleep at Subway

For the entire promotion.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yes, Yes I'm here

Will get 10+ code for GAF, first trip I make

Meh $10 to have 10 GAF bro's playing early = <3

I'll work my magic, might ransack the subway

Jonesing for Buffalo Chicken Sub...Double the MEAT!

Andrefpvs

GraveRobberX said:
Yes, Yes I'm here

Can I call dibs on the first one? :3

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
How does this benefit subway? If the requirement was to buy a sandwich or a meal combo people would be eating (pun intended) this shit up anyway.
Yeah, I still don't get it. It's just a drink. I guess they think people will buy a meal anyway if they're gonna get a drink, but why stick the best reward to the drink?

thetechkid said:
Wake up
Eat Subway for breakfast
Go to School
Eat Subway for lunch
Go home
Eat Subway for dinner
Sleep at Subway

For the entire promotion.
+20 Kg
life expectancy reduced of 30 years

;P

Mikey Jr.

Wario64 said:
Yeah, I still don't get it. It's just a drink. I guess they think people will buy a meal anyway if they're gonna get a drink, but why stick the best reward to the drink?

It's probably less of a "OMG, we are going to sell so many sandwiches that we'll be rich!!" but more of a "Let's put the best code on our cheapest item. That'll get people into our restaurants and broaden our name".

If people had to pay 5 bucks for a sandwich, they could possibly reconsider even going. If it's just a dollar drink, then it's a no-brainer. People will go, possibly have a sandwich since they are already there, and they will have Subway on the mind, and maybe you'll think of Subway the next time you go out to eat.

Thats what I think anyways.

GraveRobberX

Most I know just buy the sub or sub + chips (like me)

Soda most of the time isn't necessary due to small cup + 90% fill it up @ a soda fountain or they fill it for you (most don't eat @Subway)
(Or they get a 20oz or Juice or something else)

The soda is last man out

With this you have to buy drink, so why not just combo it...hooray subway just made money off you
Cup Material worth = $0.10-0.20, soda mixture $0.10, carbonated water (free to $0.05) for mixing, $0.35. Small is 24oz, medium 32oz, large 48oz, price range from $1.29 to $2.19 if I remember correctly

Andrefpvs said:
Can I call dibs on the first one? :3

Iz youz on my fwiends list =3?

First dibs are to the buddies on list, then we go to GAFfers on here, then w/e left = free for all

Riposte

Will Uncharted 3 have a mode where they cut out the bullshit they are layering on the good combat? Will it be included in this?

GraveRobberX

Guys I have 0 codes, when promotion starts, I'll go LOL

Also look @ this, some of you are missing it in the OP

-The multiplayer officially starts on September 29th at 12:00pm EST.

-The free multiplayer ends on November 13th at 12:00am EST.

Hopefully it's on the small drinks = more codes = cheaper, if only on medium/large might take longer

I might even have to dumpster dive (don't want to) to get those codes that are thrown away

Might even beg some people there if not gonna use code

Facism

GraveRobberX said:
Yes, Yes I'm here

Sorry i got your name wrong ;3

I'll double your meat oh my!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So you only get the code if you buy a drink starting September 29th, or is that date just the start of the multiplayer and you can actually get your codes earlier?

GraveRobberX

Facism said:
Sorry i got your name wrong ;3

I'll double your meat oh my!

<3

No biggie

I've had countless name abrv.

Grave
Gravy
GR
Robber
Rob
GRob
GRX
X
Gravedigger (-_-)

Sweet. Haven't been to Subway in a while once I found better sub shops nearby but I'll be back for this. I never even played U2's MP but I'll take almost anything for free. Well, close to free.

Mikey Jr.

Jocchan said:
So you only get the code if you buy a drink starting September 29th, or is that date just the start of the multiplayer and you can actually get your codes earlier?

The whole thing which is called "Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes & Instant Win Game" will probably start sometime in the next 3 weeks. The beta (to actually download and play) will start on the 29th. I have no idea when the promotion starts.

EloquentM said:
so basically I can go and get the promotion code at my local subway right now?

No. Promotion has not started yet. Somebody just pried this information from someone. Subway and Naughty Dog haven't announced anything yet.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mikey Jr. said:
The whole thing which is called "Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes & Instant Win Game" will probably start sometime in the next 3 weeks. The beta (to actually download and play) will start on the 29th. I have no idea when the promotion starts.
Uhm, that's what I asked. I'm aware the multiplayer starts on the 29th, I asked if the promotion starts the same day or if you're going to be able to get the codes earlier.

Top Bottom