Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3
Been playing the game. 2.5 hours in. I certainly have noticed that aiming is a bit clunky, but it hasn't really impacted my enjoyment of the game. Shooting may be a bit off, but overall I'm still landing head shots.

I do hope they fix it however.
 
#6
I totally noticed this last night, but I chalked it up to me just being bad at dual analog shooters. Glad to hear it's an actual issue.
 
#7
RedRedSuit said:
I made this thread for a few reasons:

- It's a real problem, as pointed out by many many people.

- The thread might provide a convenient place for any updates on this problem, for those who want to wait until it's patched (IF it's patched) and don't want to run into game-ruining spoilers in the OT.

- It will keep the problem talk away from OT, where other people can just talk about the other aspects of the game, which I'm sure they'll appreciate.

To summarize the problem as I understand (and have experienced) it:

The aiming (with L1) in the single-player campaign is... off. This should be immediately apparent as one receives the first weapon in the game, a silenced pistol. I have no scientific explanation of what EXACTLY is off, but the following seem to be true:

- The dead zone seems big, or maybe the initial acceleration is low. Starting an aiming motion seems oddly sluggish.

- The game tends to force perfectly-horizontal and perfectly-vertical aiming (getting it to aim diagonally seems difficult). Supposedly Uncharted 2 SP does the same, but it seems much less pronounced; perhaps due to the dead-zone situation above.

- The reticule tends to slow down when over an enemy, like some kind of auto-aim. This seems confusing and difficult to compensate for when lining up head shots.

- These problems, reportedly, do not occur in MP or coop.

- Uncharted 2 SP does not really have these issues, and it plays very smoothly.

So far, Naughty Dog's response has been on their official forum, by arne:

"We're looking into some other things that you've mentioned, but we just pulled up Unchated 2 here - it goes in a square too as described."

In other words, the bias towards horizontal and vertical aiming is present in Uncharted 2, though I feel it's not as pronounced, but they are looking into the general aiming situation.

It would be very nice if ND could update us here or elsewhere.
I have this issue and my other friend playing this morning asked me if I was having issues aiming. So +2 hehe
 
#10
i increased the sensitivity alot and its way better than default but agree that something doesn't feel right.in u2 you felt more agile and aimed easily....
 
#11
As a fan of the series who has gotten platinum on 1 and 2, I am 100% sure there is something off about the aiming. I never had trouble like this with the first two games in the series.
 
#13
Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I didn't check OT for fear of accidental spoilers.

Yea, aiming felt floaty or sluggish compared to UC2.
 
#17
pje122 said:
I wonder why they didn't catch this before the game shipped...
Or why was it not mentioned by reviewers? What I experienced last night up till Chap 6 was not something you can adjust to, the aiming is broken.

I'm still thinking this a glitch that not everyone is experiencing, I mean there is no way someone could not have issues with it, and in the OT most folks don't have any issue with aiming.
 
#18
Yep I noticed it, its not as smooth but I'm playing on normal and there is way more autoaim than Im used to as well, don't remember the original or the second having that much autoaim. Anyway hopefully its patched, shouldn't be too hard to fix. Its not a big enough issue for me to hold off on SP though, no way thats happening.
 
#19
Yes it's real and yes it's annoying.

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, I finished the game got dozens of headshots, etc. Still, it's surprising and should be patched.
 
#27
StuBurns said:
The aiming sucks balls, someone buy ND a copy Vanquish so we don't all have to suffer.
Or just tell them to load up their own game from a couple years ago. They had it perfect, and now it's not. How does that even happen?
 
#28
I just...have no idea how this got past them. If it was different but still as functional as Uncharted 1 and 2, then fine, we can quit whining and get used to it. But as it stands, it's nowhere near close.

If it was intentional: perhaps they wanted to emphasize the new melee mechanics and make the player less reliant on shooting?

If it was unintentional: how the hell did it get past everyone who made the first two games and should be extremely used to how they felt when aiming...not to mention it feels like an entirely different game from multiplayer?

Naughty Dog needs to comment, and I think, get a patch ready. It's not game-breaking but I'm sure as shit not playing Crushing like this. It doesn't feel good and it's going to make me regret another go-around, when I've played through Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves at least a dozen times.
 
#29
The only thing I noticed significantly is the slowing down of the reticule over enemies, but it sure as hell is annoying. Should definitely be an option to turn it off
 
#31
backflip10019 said:
I had the same problem as the OP when I started the game last night. It felt impossible trying to take guys out using the silenced pistol in the beginning.
Haha, so true. And then I got Sully yelling at me, "What? Did you forget how to use a gun?!" Apparently Naughty Dog did. =/
 
#33
Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Haha, so true. And then I got Sully yelling at me, "What? Did you forget how to use a gun?!" Apparently Naughty Dog did. =/
LOL

revolverjgw said:
Or just tell them to load up their own game from a couple years ago. They had it perfect, and now it's not. How does that even happen?
qft
 
#35
Aiming in Uncharted 3 is pretty awful - two times I had to adjust the damn sensitivity because it's all over the place. It feels like Killzone 2 pre-patch aiming. I beat UC1 and UC2 just before playing 3 and I've got to say that they went two steps forward with the traversal/geometrical detection and two steps back on aiming/scoping. I just run around and blindfire guys with the micro or shotgun in the single player campaign and it's working pretty well on Hard.
 
#36
revolverjgw said:
Or just tell them to load up their own game from a couple years ago. They had it perfect, and now it's not. How does that even happen?
UC2 was much nicer than this, but Vanquish is better still, if they're going to rework it, might as well go the extra mile.
 
#37
I've not played the game yet.

But if this problem is so noticeable by a reasonable number of players, why the heck wasn't it mentioned in the reviews?

Could this have been fixed in the prerelease version and broken in the final build? Or is it just a case of reviewers being shit?
 
#38
It was weird for me as well, especially compared to BF3 which I played directly after U3 last night. It just seems really difficult to aim precisely.

Mama Robotnik said:
I've not played the game yet.

But if this problem is so noticeable by a reasonable number of players, why the heck wasn't it mentioned in the reviews?

Could this have been fixed in the prerelease version and broken in the final build? Or is it just a case of reviewers being shit?
Well the IGN review claimed that the gunplay was "refined." Yeah...
 
#39
I also found the aim really off at first, but maybe it's a leftover effect from playing the MP beta too much? Either way, I feel I quickly adjusted to it.

Would be swell with some more proper comparisons between UC2 SP and UC3 SP.
 
#46
There is an actual problem? I didn't play that much (until Chapter 6 maybe), but I was having a bit of an issue aiming and hitting guys during the opening chapters and I thought I was just sucking and mishandling the analog stick. I'm not oblivious to shooting mechanisms and I'm not new to the Uncharted series itself. Interesting.
 
#47
CrunchyFrog said:
The only thing I noticed significantly is the slowing down of the reticule over enemies, but it sure as hell is annoying. Should definitely be an option to turn it off
I couldn't hardly get the damn reticule on an enemy last night, so that's not my issue. If they were moving forget it, I just charged and melee'd.

Anyways as polarizing as the opinions on aiming has been tells me this is a bug that some of us are getting. What were describing is not a design decision, it's a broken mechanic.
 
#48
Aiming might be off but you learn to adapt. Beat the game on Crushing without any real problems so while I liked 2's aiming better, I can't complain too much about the aiming on this.

Also, sensitivity to the max helps most people.
 
#49
RedRedSuit said:
I made this thread for a few reasons:

- It's a real problem, as pointed out by many many people.

- The thread might provide a convenient place for any updates on this problem, for those who want to wait until it's patched (IF it's patched) and don't want to run into game-ruining spoilers in the OT.

- It will keep the problem talk away from OT, where other people can just talk about the other aspects of the game, which I'm sure they'll appreciate.

To summarize the problem as I understand (and have experienced) it:

The aiming (with L1) in the single-player campaign is... off. This should be immediately apparent as one receives the first weapon in the game, a silenced pistol. I have no scientific explanation of what EXACTLY is off, but the following seem to be true:

- The dead zone seems big, or maybe the initial acceleration is low. Starting an aiming motion seems oddly sluggish.

- The game tends to force perfectly-horizontal and perfectly-vertical aiming (getting it to aim diagonally seems difficult). Supposedly Uncharted 2 SP does the same, but it seems much less pronounced; perhaps due to the dead-zone situation above.

- The reticule tends to slow down when over an enemy, like some kind of auto-aim. This seems confusing and difficult to compensate for when lining up head shots.


- These problems, reportedly, do not occur in MP or coop.

- Uncharted 2 SP does not really have these issues, and it plays very smoothly.

So far, Naughty Dog's response has been on their official forum, by arne:

"We're looking into some other things that you've mentioned, but we just pulled up Unchated 2 here - it goes in a square too as described."

In other words, the bias towards horizontal and vertical aiming is present in Uncharted 2, though I feel it's not as pronounced, but they are looking into the general aiming situation.

It would be very nice if ND could update us here or elsewhere.

EDIT: Many people have reported that setting the aim sensitivity to max makes it more bearable.

EDIT 2: Reportedly auto-aim is less pronounced in Hard, however it is still strongly there.



I can say these are all true. It did feel a bit off to me, but I didn't immediately NOTICE it. Then again I'm not a bigger shooter guy, but the aiming did feel different than UC1 or UC2.


Patch please.
 
#50
It definitely felt slower, if I'm to put on fast motion like I did on UC2, I'll probably get killed really quick because I can't seem to aim where I want to instantly anymore.

It feels stiff and I have problem adjusting it precisely really quick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.