• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 being teased?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A combat arena is something in a really linear game where all of a sudden you get to a more open area with lots of conveniently placed chest high walls and it makes you go "alright so a fight's about to happen". It's frustrating in Uncharted games because the enemies just keep pouring out of nowhere in them, hence the DA2 comparison.

I've never been able to relate to the complaint about any Uncharted game that enemies just spawn from everywhere. First of all, they spawn from doorways and other obvious places (or they are already standing there). Second, it's a fucking shooting game, so why is it suddenly a bad thing that it has areas designed for combat in which enemies attack you? I was never frustrated by having to shoot guys in a shooter. I'm certainly not playing the game for the auto-platforming.

Nope. sometimes Drake will just spaz out instead of sticking to a wall or he will refuse to stick to some walls. It doesn't work nearly as well. Sure looks pretty though.

can't agree with this and this from someone who's clocked 200+ hours maybe on the MP game.

Tagg9

Yep. I fucking hate this in Uncharted DF and Uncharted 3. And people comparing Uncharted to Gears of War, please stop. Gears just plays much better and the enemy encounters actually look like they had some thought put into them. I only have a ps3, btw.

Wouldn't be an Uncharted thread without someone shitting on it.

Both Gears and Uncharted have largely predictable and uninspired enemy encounters. There are certainly valid complaints that can be lodged against Uncharted, but this isn't it.

If Sony want to keep the magic they need to make sure fatigue doesn't set in. They have had this happen to other franchises before.

There's a fine balance to be achieved for sure.

Sony ran SOCOM to the ground and IG did the same with Ratchet.

They also, however, have been able to keep the GOW franchises pretty high, both critically and commercially and Ascension looks to continue the trend. We also now have yearly franchises like AC and COD that are still commercially. I'm not suggesting for Uncharted games to be yearly, but to be paced correctly AND keeping the quality of the games high. SOCOM and Ratchet suffered not only from way too many games but also because the quality dropped considerably. After SOCOM 2 and SOCOM FTB, the SOCOM games were generic and poor. Ratchet started dropping in quality after ACIT.

Sony doesn't want to run Uncharted to the ground and ND won't allow that, but they also don't want to get to a point where a franchise has been dormant for so long that they would need to relaunch it as would be the case with Jak and Legend of Dragoon.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe it's his first day.

There's no way the UC3 team have been sitting on their hands for fifteen months.

And I don't have trouble getting in and out of cover, maybe some people simply suck. I do however, have problems picking up weapons against walls for some reason, I always fuck that up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

He is a voice actor. The game could be pretty far along on his first day, as far as engine, gameplay scenarios, etc. Mocapping the cinematics and voice acting are done simultaneously in the Uncharted series.

That said, launch window at the earliest is my guess. Doubt this would be a day 1 launch title. Though that would be amazing.

Over what though, the first game? All 3 had super frustrating combat arenas that have dragon age 2 amount of enemies and bullet sponge enemies. Not to mention the garbage platforming and puzzles.

You just described Max Payne 3. I do not feel Uncharted has bad shooting mechanics or gameplay. I also disagree with them having "super frustrating combat arenas".

The puzzles and platform are shallow and very easy, but that's the way the game is designed, so people don't get frustrated trying to solve an impossible puzzle or making a hard ass jump.

I think for Uncharted 4 ND needs to:

1) Improve the melee mechanics, they improved it with Uncharted 3 and even more so with TLOU, so it stands to reason that Uncharted 4 will be significantly improved
2) Have it be more open. I don't expect a GTA like game or anything like that, but something like Batman AC would be welcome

Maybe that's why you have a distorted sense of Gears's quality. They both pale to Vanquish, but they're just as lazy as each other in terms of the average encounter.

I just played the demo, but I think they both shit all over Vanquish.

KAL2006

Banned
I doubt U4 will be ready for PS4 launch. One team is making Last of Us. The other team whic are likely working on U4 released U3 in fall 2011. No way will they come out with U4 in just 2 years after the last one. Remember this time they have to work on a new system and is not just a sequel on the same generation. I expect U4 for fall 2014 the earliest. There are other developers such as Santa Monica team 2, Guerilla Games, Ready at Dawn and Evolution that have a much higher chance of releasing before U4. He'll I expect the next Vita Uncharted by Bend to release before U4.

Strike

We all know it's happening. It's a given. I say it'll get teased at E3 this year (or they could possibly wait until the VGA's again) for a Fall 2014 release. This is not a launch title.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I would prefer another new IP from Naughty Dog instead of Uncharted.

But if they insist on another Uncharted for next-gen, I would hope that a PS4 Uncharted would have larger, more open-ended levels with a larger focus on exploration and hunting for treasure. I really liked that aspect of Golden Abyss, even though the levels in that game weren't huge. Even though the platforming had plenty of issues issues and the boss fights were all garbage in Golden Abyss, I still liked it more than Uncharted 1 and 3, largely for being rewarded for exploring the beautiful environments they created in that game.

Even if they don't do that and stick to the linear, set-piece shooter that U2 and 3 were, I hope they have enough time to make the game what it needed to be. Uncharted 3 was, admittedly from Naughty Dog, rushed out the door and was undercooked in nearly every way as a result. What a massive screw-up that game was. From inconsistent villains to imbalanced multiplayer, from a crazily high number of enemies in the single player to poorly balanced difficulty, from worse image quality than 2 to aiming so bad and busted at launch that they needed a patch to restore the sublime aiming settings that Uncharted 2 had, Uncharted 3 was one of the biggest AAA blunders this generation has seen. Especially so because many of the missteps they made with 3 were things that were done well in 2 (aiming, balanced difficulty settings, amount of enemies that were consistent with the story that was being told, a good and consistent villain).

Vashetti

Banned
I want Uncharted 4 to adopt the Last Of Us enemy style.

Not the gore and face smashing, but I don't want the bullet sponges of Uncharted anymore. Totally brings me out of the game.

The more relevant question is why would you attempt to comment on it with any authority?

I didn't comment on it with any authority, I specifically mentioned I only played the demo, which should give an indication of the final product, and that, to me, it's inferior to Gears and Uncharted. Would you have felt more comfortable if I had added "IMO" or "IMHO" to my sentence?

Vorg

Banned
Ok, it does. If you suck at it.

Do I really need to show you a video with me doing all sorts of traversal around a map without problems?

Uh, do it if you feel you must? In my experience (recently finished Uncharted 3 SP campaign on normal) those problems were there. Who knows, maybe I just suck at Uncharted. Also noticed, heavy enemy, grenade and rocket launcher spam, weird and unnatural looking animations and questionable level design, but maybe that's also just me. I mean, it did get 10/10's everywhere, right?

Bullet sponges semantics go go go!

I think bullet sponge means when going for the headshot is the only effective strategy. If the enemy takes like 10-20 shots anywhere else and doesn't go down, that's a bullet sponge.

Of course, Uncharted 1 even headshots were hard to get.

Didn't the actor say he was beginning work on the project? Let's be conservative and say PS4 launches in March 2014, leaving a little over a year for motion capture, voiceovers, fine-tuning, etc, assuming that it is indeed work for Uncharted 4. Is that enough time for it to be a launch title? If we go non-conservative and say that the PS4 launches in November, is that enough time for it to be a launch title?

Cyberia

I doubt it. Naughty Dog apparently has over 200 employees now. For comparison, Uncharted 2 was made by around 85 people according to Evan Wells.

You sure? I remember a interview (or it was a episode of GTTV) were Evan said their are working around 120 people on the game.

Also, during E3 i've seen some interviews with very familiar faces from the U3 team who are right now working on TLoU.

Loudninja

You sure? I remember a interview (or it was a episode of GTTV) were Evan said their are working around 120 people on the game.

Also, during the last E3 i've seen some interviews with very familiar faces from the U3 team who are right now working on TLoU.
They are on crunch time for the Last of Us,the game should be going gold soon.

StuBurns

Banned

Also, during E3 i've seen some interviews with very familiar faces from the U3 team who are right now working on TLoU.
I'm sure people move back and forth, but ND have repeatedly referred to having two teams, and having built a second team for TLoU.

LastNac

UC2 is the greatest TPS campaign of this gen and one of the greatest games of all time. UC3 is nowhere close to its greatness.

tonystarejeml.gif

You are frankly just wrong.

Top Bottom