• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 delayed to Spring 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is awful news.

i'm a huge fan of the franchise, but my hype has been seriously deflated. and at this point, I won't be the least bit of surprised if "Spring 2016" becomes "Fall 2016", because clearly the game will will always be able to use more dev time, but moreso that they might actually be considered in GOTY awards.

and now the question becomes.... why? i refuse to believe Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond's work on U4 was that uncharacteristically bad that they had to scorch earth and do a major rework of the game due to quality control. it seems much more likely it was done out of ego and spite. like, this is now Druckmann and Straley's baby, and they want to own it completely. And sure, it will be great, but really... I can't shake the feeling of selfishness and pettiness winning out over shipping the game on time as it was intended. Wellp, you guys better make it worth it to the fans. Damn worth it. Expectations will be so high on this game.

lol meltdown.

Calm down man, a lot of us are disappointed but the game is still coming out. Not like it's stuck in development purgatory Last Guardian style.

Plus a delayed spring UC4 is likely a better quality product than a holiday UC4.

WinFonda

What dev issues?
What are you talking about? Did I miss some announcement or something?
Bruce, I respect you a lot man, but you're mostly dancing around the argument.

Amy Hennig, series mainstay and creative force behind all Uncharteds left mid-development on U4. She didn't leave the project unfinished due to lack of love.

Justin Richmond, director for U3 and formerly U4, left also.

Taylor Kurosaki, long-time Uncharted cinematic director/editor also left.

Todd Stashwick, the original cast for Sam Drake, gone.

There are more and to deny all this hasn't played a part in the delay is a little disingenuous.

TheJoRu

I also believe that Zelda will release this year. I'm hoping they're not rushing the release though.

I believe the higher-ups of Nintendo are very adamant on getting Zelda out by holiday. It'll definitely be a close call, though, I think; in the same way I believe (I'm only speculating) it was a close call getting Smash out by last holiday, and Mario Kart 8 before summer.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I already do that with most games. I don't ever buy games day 1. I'm interested in Arkham Knight, MKX, MGSV and The Witchter 3 but I'm not buying none of those day 1 due to backlog and being a cheap ass gamer. However there are only 3 IPs that I am a huge fan of that I will always buy day 1. Those are Street Fighter, Uncharted, and Suikoden. Suikoden is a dead IP but the other 2 are not. I also wouldn't wanna be late to the party with the online communities for those games as I like online Multiplayer for both Street Fighter and Uncharted.

Fair enough.

Harmen

Bad for marketing, good for quality. Looking at recent games such as AC: Unity, MCC and Driveclub, which were all forced for those holiday sales, I am actually glad ND gets the time to ensure the quality they envision.

Disappointed, but completely respect the decision (especially this far out) to publicly acknowledge it's not going to be make it. Better getting the real Uncharted 4 a few months later than planned than a rushed-out-the-door version in November.

Are any of you genuinely surprised? Like really? For this game to make it this year would have been a miracle. Better for them to announce it now then in October.

I'm surprised that people would be surprised that people are surprised by this. If it had kept to the release date, it would have had four years of development time, two and a half of which with "all hands on deck" by Sony's biggest and most renown studio, who is usually efficient as hell.

Vire

Bad for marketing, good for quality. Looking at recent games such as AC: Unity, MCC and Driveclub, which were all forced for those holiday sales, I am actually glad ND gets the time to ensure the quality they envision.

Amusingly, every one of those games was delayed to some extent.

LastNac

this is awful news.

i'm a huge fan of the franchise, but my hype has been seriously deflated. and at this point, I won't be the least bit of surprised if "Spring 2016" becomes "Fall 2016", because clearly the game will will always be able to use more dev time, but moreso that they might actually be considered in GOTY awards.

and now the question becomes.... why? i refuse to believe Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond's work on U4 was that uncharacteristically bad that they had to scorch earth and do a major rework of the game due to quality control. it seems much more likely it was done out of ego and spite. like, this is now Druckmann and Straley's baby, and they want to own it completely. And sure, it will be great, but really... I can't shake the feeling of selfishness and pettiness winning out over shipping the game on time as it was intended. Wellp, you guys better make it worth it to the fans. Damn worth it. Expectations will be so high on this game.

As of PSX, my understanding was that a lot of what was there during Hennig's charge is still there. Content has been dropped, but a lot is still there. So I don't think its a complete overhaul.

Amy Hennig, series mainstay and creative force behind all Uncharteds left mid-development on U4. She didn't leave the project unfinished due to lack of love.

There are more and to deny all this hasn't played a part in the delay is a little disingenuous.

It probably did but your original post paints Druckmann and Straley as some egomaniacal madmen hellbent on making sure their names and faces are firmly entrenched in the Uncharted legacy, so much so that it might as well be called UnStraley 4: A Druckmann's Tale.

We have no idea how much Amy/Justin's departure affected the game, I am SURE it played a role but to say they tore the whole thing apart afterwards is pure speculation.

this is awful news.

It's amazing you could pull all of this out of thin air.

ProTip: Posting on NeoGaf does not make you an industry insider. You probably know about as much about what went on behind the scenes at Naughty Dog as my grandma does.

I didn't know about the Taylor and Todd departures. Those for sure have impacted the game I mean how could they not, but I still don't believe its to the degree your imagining. Creating legit next gen games is incredibly taxing and every studio that is making one has experienced a massive delay. A 3 year dev cycle is completely in line with what a game like this would take.

this is awful news.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Spring means delay until fall of 2016 I bet.

I'd be surprised. Sony has shown plenty of faith in being able to launch tentpole AAA games in the spring. It's normally God of War's spot. Last of Us launched in June too. Fall of 2016 will probably be Morpheus' time to shine anyway. I do wonder what this means for the next God of War?

WinFonda

It probably did but your original post paints Druckmann and Straley as some egomaniacal madmen hellbent on making sure their names and faces are firmly entrenched in the Uncharted legacy, so much so that it might as well be called UnStraley 4: A Druckmann's Tale.

We have no idea how much Amy/Justin's departure affected the game, I am SURE it played a role but to say they tore the whole thing apart afterwards is pure speculation.

I love Bruce and Neil, I love their work and what they've done on both Uncharted and The Last of Us. I just think it's unfortunate, because it was clearly development/office politics that led to all this... and the fans are the ones who suffer. Because it did play into the delay and ultimately what is "better" is subjective. Me, personally, I trust Amy and Justin's vision just as much as Neil and Bruce's. They were all talented folks, they all love Uncharted, but sometimes talented creative folks have difficulty working with each other, and in this case that's a damn shame.

iceatcs

Of course, it is what you get if you want every game to be openworld/level.

Rockstar have 1000+ working on GTA for 4 years. it is dangerous massive project just being openworld gaming.
You got to draw all of the drains, different type of chewing gums, dog's shit etc.. everything took hours to design and making.

That's why I was hoping for this gen that not all of the game must have new online features or boring openworld. Otherwise we will only get 3 to 8 big games every year, way too few.

WinFonda

It's amazing you could pull all of this out of thin air.

ProTip: Posting on NeoGaf does not make you an industry insider. You probably know about as much about what went on behind the scenes at Naughty Dog as my grandma does.
Saying ProTip doesn't make you as insightful or as witty as you think it does.

I never claimed to be an insider. I am speculating and asking questions, and there's pretty good reason to speculate and ask questions.

I love Bruce and Neil, I love their work and what they've done on both Uncharted and The Last of Us. I just think it's unfortunate, because it was clearly development/office politics that led to all this... and the fans are the ones who suffer. Because it did play into the delay and ultimately what is "better" is subjective. Me, personally, I trust Amy and Justin's vision just as much as Neil and Bruce's. They were all talented folks, they all love Uncharted, but sometimes talented creative folks have difficulty working with each other, and in this case that's a damn shame.

Again you're using words like "clearly" to categorize assumptions and speculation.

No one knows what happened.

Kayant

this is awful news.

Reminds me of famousmort level speculation.

Saying ProTip doesn't make you as insightful or as witty as you think it does.

I never claimed to be an insider. I am speculating and asking questions, and there's pretty good reason to speculate and ask questions.

You're speculating about people's reputations and character, which is pretty dickish.

Servbot24

Banned

I can practically guarantee you that a bunch more people besides those left as well. And a bunch more joined. Like at every company ever.

WinFonda

Again you're using words like "clearly" to categorize assumptions.

No one knows what happened.
These are assumptions that have to be made and asked if you ever want answers. Here's what we know: a number of mainstay Uncharted developers and creative people left, all around the same time, at the height of development on their big next gen project and the studio wants to bury it as deeply in the past as possible. But yes, we don't know what happened.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
These are assumptions that have to be made and asked if you ever want answers. Here's what we know: a number of mainstay Uncharted developers and creative people left, all around the same time, at the height of development on their big next gen project and the studio wants to bury it as deeply in the past as possible. But yes, we don't know what happened.

But clearly you know something.

Speculating on the character of people like Bruce and Neil is not something that is necessary, and that is exactly what you're doing.

Yes, several significant people departed. We don't know why. There's nothing more to say about it unless more information comes out.

reKon

Banned

You still have no idea what happened though we literally know nothing on the details behind their departure. You't can take those events and make the declaration that it has resulted in ND reworking major parts of the game. The Last of Us was another ambitious game that was delayed.

Also, from what we saw from the 15 minute gameplay demo, that looked like a pretty complete game to me. They have all the mechanics and the meat of the core gameplay down..

Sandfox

It'll be interesting to see what Sony plans on releasing this for the rest of this year because MS will probably come out hard this holiday season and Zelda will be getting a lot of hype. I still need to finish Uncharted 2 and 3 but I'll be ready for this day one.

Withnail

Sony delays a high profile Q4 game Every. Single. Year.

Seriously.

On the positive side, now I'm expecting a game or two to be announced in the next few months.

WinFonda

But clearly you know something.
Okay, dude. I've been on NeoGAF for some 8 years now and I have never once claimed to be an insider or anything close to it. But I have been an Uncharted fan for about the same amount of time, and I follow the series as much as anyone can.

When Amy Hennig left, IGN ran their article and Mitch Dyer's had sources tell him that said Amy was "forced out"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/uncharted-ps4-writer-amy-hennig-leaves-naughty-dog

That's where all this speculation began, so people thinking I'm coming up with this on my own, give me a break. It's been around and will probably always be around until we get answers some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom