• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 delayed to Spring 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better to announce it now than later, like say after E3. I don't mind as long as they polish the game. I'll have enough to play in 2015 and then some so losing this game won't make me cry.

Well, that much is true, at least.

This isn't a dealbreaker for Sony, so long as one thing happens: They have another big release for 2015 to replace this.

Sony needs to dig deep. They have to have something to replace this.

Hopefully, they have something up their sleeve, but personally, I doubt it.

Demon Ice

Banned
Take your time, Naughty Dog. After seeing how certain other high profile games have launched in broken states I have no issues with devs taking extra time to make sure they get it right.

Catch up in one territory, and most likely that'll be based around price point rather than exclusives.

Seriously - you actually think UC4 not being around for Xmas is going to enable Xbone to catch PS4 globally?
I think it can be presumed that whenever someone says that they are referring to the U.S.

Biker19

Banned
My guess as to why Uncharted 4 has been delayed to Spring 2016? Possibly because of something like the Uncharted Drake Remastered Collection (Featuring Uncharted 1-3).

Think about it: It wouldn't make sense to have the 4th mainline Uncharted game on the console without the other 3 mainline Uncharted games as well.

Huh, would've figured Microsoft would tie down MGS V - especially since they did the gameplay demo on their mainstage a few years ago.

MGS in general happens to be more popular on Playstation platforms than on Xbox platforms, especially within Japanese gamers.

RPGamer92

Banned
My guess as to why UC4 has been delayed to Spring 2016? Possibly because of Uncharted: Drake Collection (Featuring Uncharted 1-3).

Think about it: It wouldn't make sense to have the 4th mainline Uncharted game on the console without the other 3 mainline Uncharted games as well.
With Uncharted though, you don't need to have played the last 3 games since they're not story connected.

The Last Of Us was so much better in 60fps, I really hope they use this delay to focus 60fps.

Naughty Dog needs to understand that we want better games, real improvement, and chest hair simulation is the last item on the list to make a better game.

truth411

I'm just not understanding some folks rational here, it's like they think Sony's entire lineup for 2015 has already been announced!! And Nothing new was going to be announced at E3, GamesCom or TGS!!!

Catch up in one territory, and most likely that'll be based around price point rather than exclusives.

Seriously - you actually think UC4 not being around for Xmas is going to enable Xbone to catch PS4 globally?

With UC4 I guess the X1 will now sell like 15 million units in Nov and Dec to catch up.

I think it can be presumed that whenever someone says that they are referring to the U.S.

Why would that be presumed when NA is only like 30% of the PS4's market? In what world does ignoring the majority of theit install base make sense

The Last Of Us was so much better in 60fps, I really hope they use this delay to focus 60fps.

Naughty Dog needs to understand that we want better games, real improvement, and chest hair simulation is the last item on the list to make a better game.

I found it exactly the same.

They would have the holiday season for themselves including PS4. The exclusivity deal was a bad idea in the end?

Agreed, they could have had it out at the same time where their audience is but now TR is going take a hit twice, where most of it's audience is (PS4/PC and still take a hit being late on PC). Oops, good job S-E...

Better to announce it now than later, like say after E3. I don't mind as long as they polish the game. I'll have enough to play in 2015 and then some so losing this game won't make me cry.

Yeah, I'm glad they announced it now well in advance of E3. And while it's a shame, in a way it's good that they are continuing to follow what they said after their rush to finish UC3 after they announced the release date too early.

Whoever mentioned the thing about Sony pairing up with Assassin's Creed again... eh. No. They did for many years but it's really worn out its welcome hasn't it?

Instead this year they've tied up marketing rights for Metal Gear Solid 5, Batman and there's a rumor they have the new Star Wars too.

Ah yeah, they should be fine. Also, wow, pretty huge if they get the marketing for the Star Wars game.

Plus several Japanese exclusives this year and even the couple of multiplats like Type-0 will clearly mainly push PS4's userbase.

Huh, would've figured Microsoft would tie down MGS V - especially since they did the gameplay demo on their mainstage a few years ago.

I think not too long after they showed it off at E3 for Microsoft at around TGS, Kojima pretty much jumped ship and told everyone how crazy PS4 was and since then he's been supporting the PS4.

I also hope that this delay gets the game to 60FPS.

Angelcurio

Not long after that showing, we saw Kojima post a picture of him having a dinner with Kaz Hirai, Sony CEO. When TGS arrived, we saw the vast majority of MGSV presentations done either during PS4 events, or focusing on the PS4 version, to the point of showing how much better the resolution was on PS4 compared with the Xbox One version. Looks like Kojima has a really solid relationship with Sony.

I don't understand why the hell they delayed it now anyway?

If this was coming out for a projected November release, they would've had 7-8 months to finish this from now.

So why delay it this early? Why not wait and see if they could still finish it up in time?

Its friggin moronic to postpone a release with that much time to go.

They probably don't want to put the entire team through an extended period of crunch time just to find out they cant make the deadline anyway. The crunch time certainly didn't help Uncharted 3.

Do you guys think it was technical issues? Asset production? Script rewrite?

Or were they just in over their heads for the original date? How long have they been working on this project for even?

Jigolo

I love how people are worried about PS4 sales when they've made it to 20 million and are on pace with the Wii and PS2 when it's all said and done at $400. Sony really don't have to do much to sell the console this holiday season. They'll sell tons of consoles when the price drop happens later this year. And then they'll sell tons more when UC4 drops in March/April/May.

Or were they just in over their heads for the original date? How long have they been working on this project for even?
I don't think I've ever seen so much concern from a person that isn't even buying the game.

A small team probably a few months after Uncharted 3 shipped and then the rest joined when TLOU launched.

Its probably a combination of things including the departure of Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond. Recasting Troy Baker as the older brother and probably a script rewrite.

at least 1 other person in this thread said that when they mentioned the xbone catching up, they meant in just the U.S

If you're referring to the US only then it should be mentioned in the post. Yes, NA is the biggest market but that certainly doesn't mean it's the only one that matters, far from it (except for maybe MS)

If you're referring to the US only then it should be mentioned in the post. Yes, NA is the biggest market but that certainly doesn't mean it's the only one that matters, far from it (except for maybe MS)
? that's exactly what I did.

my post that quoted was a response to someone doubting another person's suggestions of the xbone catching up. I was just mentioning that, based on other people who suggested the xbone catching up meant it only for the U.S, that it can be presumed that that's what most people mean when they say that.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
In the morning when I heard the news I was little pissed. But then I was thinking about it, and now Uncharted collection is inevitable right? I will be happy with Uncharted collection this holiday and Uncharted 4 in summer.

I don't think I've ever seen so much concern from a person that isn't even buying the game.

Curiosity, not concern.
A small team probably a few months after Uncharted 3 shipped and then the rest joined when TLOU launched.

Its probably a combination of things including the departure of Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond. Recasting Troy Baker as the older brother and probably a script rewrite

aye, did not know about the recasting.

? that's exactly what I did.

my post that quoted was a response to someone doubting another person's suggestions of the xbone catching up. I was just mentioning that, based on other people who suggested the xbone catching up meant it only for the U.S, that it can be presumed that that's what most people mean when they say that.

I'm not pointing you out. I'm talking about it in general.

This is annoying to hear, I don't regret getting my PS4 or any of that shit but it really would be nice had Uncharted 4 released this year. We probably won't even hear what Polyphony Digital are up to this year, Santa Monica haven't teased their game yet and Horizon from Guerrilla Games has also not been announced yet. I thought this would be the year that the big Sony studios would start releasing games yet here we are, fuck all from these lot in 2015. And yes I do like indie games but even those are taking an age to release, twiddling my thumbs and just waiting for No Mans Sky, The Witness, Rime etc. This generation is taking an age to take off and from someone that loves the first party output from Sony, particularly with the PS3 the wait for the likes of Quantic Dream, Santa Monica, PD etc to release games on PS4 is getting rather annoying.

UC4 is coming off a known franchise as well, I have no hope whatsoever that Sony will announce big games during E3 for the end of the year. A new IP like Horizon from GG is one which I assume Sony would want to hype up over a year or so, so people get an idea about the game and what not so I certainly can't see anything from Sony that's not been announced releasing for this year. A GT7: Prologue sure would make me happy though Sony, just letting ya know. :p

Welfare

In the morning when I heard the news I was little pissed. But then I was thinking about it, and now Uncharted collection is inevitable right? I will be happy with Uncharted collection this holiday and Uncharted 4 in summer.

No way they're doing one.

Unless Sony Too™ wants fans to get pissed at Naughty Dog for releasing a remaster 2 years in a row and a collection that would be incredibly rushed.

oh okay, sorry.

I'm sure it's been brought up in the thread already, but does anyone think that one of the options sony will consider strongly to fill the void will be a nathan drake collection?

I really hope so but ND is very protective. I wonder if they'd allow it to be made externally, otherwise I don't see how it'd happen this year

Mikey Jr.

Bloodeborne? Dude come on!

Are you kidding me?

That is a niche title compared to Uncharted.

How the hell did Sony allow this to happen?

They don't want to release a shit product?

What would you rather have? An 8.0 Uncharted 4 in November, or a 9.5 Uncharted 4 in March?

ND has a reputation to maintain. They can't start releasing mediocre crap just because little Bobby wants something for Christmas.

UC4 for Morpheus.

That's why they gotta hit that 60FPS target.

Don't see the ever happening unless you want UC4 to be compromised. Doesnt Morpheus' setup require the engine to process each frame twice for each side of the screen? That would require a game developed from the ground up for it me thinks.

They likely delayed the game early because they felt like the additional dev time was worth it vs holiday sales. The only thing that's surprising to me is that they made the call this early.

J-Rzez

2015 GOTY = ???
2016 GOTY = Uncharted 4

Not sure, it's a crap shoot right now. While Uncharted would have had good odds, the rest of the year is up for grabs for me. Bloodborne looks fantastic, but, there's going to be a long awaited Battlefront game which despite not knowing shit about it, it's Battlefield + Star Wars, and as long as it's not fucked up like everything else has been at launch, it could be a massive run away success. Too many other wildcards yet though. We'll see.

I'm fine with the "delay". If they're really closing out Nate, while extremely sad, I want it to be a perfect send off. I'll have other stuff to play until then.

yeah I get it. how long did it take to develop the mcc?

Not sure but I believe the MCC was worked on my multiple studios and well, we know how it ended up.

honestly, I hope it does happen. The UC trilogy in 1080p/60 would be amazing. And if we get that along with Gears trilogy than man, it'd be an awesome Fall for TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom