• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 delayed to Spring 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I both like it more and I think it's better than UC2. It's not perfect, but neither was its predecessor.

I think it is better paced as opposed to UC2's kill-rooms that seemed slightly wash/rinse/repeat.

I think it has a better story with more interesting characters this time around. Things are actually explored and we get a sense of purpose from Drake whereas Drake was just a force of nature in the first two.

And a lot of it is the spectacle and presentation. If something is going to strive towards being a "playable blockbuster" than it needs to take advantage of its in game presentation. There was one moment in UC2 that blew me away in terms of visuals and that was in the ice caves. You are pushing Drake up to climb and you see the yeti move foreground. I had never really seen anything like that before. It was that kind of gameplay+presentation moment that I wanted more of and UC3 delivered. There are so many times in UC3 where I "dont realize that I'm playing" based on the fraiming. I love that kind of stuff and really want to see it pushed to the next level. More so, UC3 is just more "playable" overall than UC2. Yes, it has more cut-scenes objectively, but it is giving you these smaller moments like Drake pushing Cutter forward or getting Drake back on his feet during the second night in the desert. Or even something as simple as pushing Drake all the way to his feet in this sequence:
eGxrbmNrMTI=_o_uncharted-3-drakes-deception---desert-demo.jpg

You have to keep pushing him, all the way. Both in that sequence as well as the ones previously mentioned. It doesn't automatically take over, etc. There is a complete involvement with the action and the input. Too many things go on autopilot for these sequences, UC3 didn't and I appreciate that.

This is the interactive medium and interaction should be important. Hell, my biggest problem with The Order was that it just didn't let you do enough. UC3 kept control constantly in your hands and I love it for doing so. The example I always point to is the signature setpiece for both games. In Uncharted 2 Drake hops on the train in cutscene and then proceeds to use cover based shooting(what he has done the entire game) but this time on a mobile platform. In UC3 Drake getting to the plane was all gameplay, down to the chasing and the guiding Elena section. The latter is what I want for the sequel.

Truthfully, its got problems. Combat balancing needs to fixed. I liked the overall frequency of shootouts but I didn't care for their intensity. It was like they were throwing everything at you to make up for lost time. I think their needs to be a happy medium between the two and combat needs to be used appropriately and not gratuitously.

Looking at UC4 I don't feel worried about that.
2751251-9131702088-ebzxf.gif

People always give UC3 shit mostly for its combat. Honestly, that's the thing I care the least about. And given the gif posted, UC4 is going to do well in that field. I'm just worried about everything else in terms of play-ability and presentation. TLoU was great, but I feel it was a set back from UC3 in-regards to the moments that I think make the medium special. That said, I loved the
giraffes, injured Joel, prologue, deer hunt, epilogue, and hospital carry.
I'll level with you that I thought for the most part Uc3 topped Uc2. Honestly for me, the biggest issue with Uc3 was the lack of a final bossfight. When nate shot down the giant genie lamp, I was expecting the genie to come out of it and THAT be the epic final boss fight of the game. instead... we don't even have one and just have a qte fight with talbot. pretty much everything else about the game (aside from the endless waves of enemies, which isn't limited to Uc3 as Ucc2 had that too) imo was an improvement over Uc2.

I have to admit though I enjoyed Uc2 mp more than Uc3. the other day I saw a brokengameshd video talking about how robert cogburn being the lead director for Uc4 mp is not a good thing.

however, one thing you should acknowledge is that while Uc3 is great, Uc2 is a game considered to be one of the greatest games of all time, but not Uc3.

I'm sorry, but someone must be really terrible if those controls prevented anyone from doing anything.

People need to stop making it sound like the damn thing was broken. It wasn't.

The most measurable way to show this is the headshot percentage, which both UC2 and UC3 track.

Nothing happened to my hands between the two games. I did not age at a faster pace than most other people, but my percentage dropped from 85% to 32%.

Something was definitely wrong with the controls. That they didn't prevent me from finishing the game isn't a high bar, it's the bare minimum I can expect from a video game that costs money.

The most measurable way to show this is the headshot percentage, which both UC2 and UC3 track.

Nothing happened to my hands between the two games. I did not age at a faster pace than most other people, but my percentage dropped from 85% to 32%.

Something was definitely wrong with the controls. That they didn't prevent me from finishing the game isn't a high bar, it's the bare minimum I can expect from a video game that costs money.
Was that before or after the control patch, i remember pre patch there only b eing 8 directions you could aim vs 32 after

Uncharted - 2007
Uncharted 2 - 2009
Uncharted 3 - 2011
Uncharted Vita - 2012
Uncharted 4 - 2016

I'm surprised Sony didn't milk this franchise for all its worth like they did with God of War.

Uncharted - 2007
Uncharted 2 - 2009
Uncharted 3 - 2011
Uncharted Vita - 2012
Uncharted 4 - 2016

I'm surprised Sony didn't milk this franchise for all its worth like they did with God of War.

To be fair I think Sony originally planned Uncharted 4 for Winter 2014 and if the Vita was more profitable there would have been a second Uncharted for Vita as well. They also let ND do TLOU which took up a spot which potentially could have been an Uncharted game.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Uncharted - 2007
Uncharted 2 - 2009
Uncharted 3 - 2011
Uncharted Vita - 2012
Uncharted 4 - 2016

I wouldn't call GoW milked. 6 games across 3 consoles. The story tho...

another thing - according to forbes, Uc3 sold 6m+ copies. I think Alo0oy was telling me in another thread that Uc3 sold 9m copies to date. so unless the forbes article is talking just the U.S, something's off here.

Uncharted - 2007
Uncharted 2 - 2009
Uncharted 3 - 2011
Uncharted Vita - 2012
Uncharted 4 - 2016

what point were you trying to make listing out the release years of all of the games? not counting golden abyss, they were reasonably spaced out. I think ND was going at their own pace with all of them except Uc3 - apparently just that game was a rush job.
To be fair I think Sony originally planned Uncharted 4 for Winter 2014 and if the Vita was more profitable there would have been a second Uncharted for Vita as well. They also let ND do TLOU which took up a spot which potentially could have been an Uncharted game.
there's no indication that Uc4 was ever intended as a 2014 title.
I wouldn't call GoW milked. 6 games across 3 consoles. The story tho...
you thought the gow story was milked/not that good?

maltrain

Funny how some people think that this are good news for Crystal Dynamics.

In fact, I think these are bad ones.

Why?

First, they didn't compete with Uncharted, assuming both games would launch this holidays... they both would be on different consoles and I'm sure both games will receive good reviews (great ones for Uncharted, for sure).

Second, we must assume Tomb Raider will launch on PS4 after an exclusivity deal with Microsoft and the regular term are... SIX MONTHS. So, now they will compete directly with Uncharted 4, in fact... and that's not a good scenario for them if they want to sell games on PS4 (some people is mad with them for the exclusivity and comparisons won´t be good for them, considering Naughty Dog is a far better studio IMO and will have extra months for working).

In the past scenario, they would launch alone on Xbox One and alone on PS4, after all Uncharted fans played the 4th game. In fact, I think they would delay their PS4 version and will launch on 2016 holidays, avoiding direct competition...

keuja

I wonder if it's because of a "back to the drawing board" decision after some early play test. I thought the PS4 was relatively easy to develop for, so could the delay be happening because they want to rethink the gameplay?

strafer

Annapurna producer Megan Ellison (American Hustle, Zero Dark Thirty, Her) tweeted about her experience with the game.

Just left @Naughty_Dog where I got to play a little UNCHARTED 4. Gorgeous gameplay. Epic worlds. I cannot wait for full immersion next year.

https://twitter.com/meganeellison/status/585895362436571136

Source:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04...cer-played-uncharted-4-recently-and-loved-it/

Why was she there? Gathering info for the movie?

Annapurna producer Megan Ellison (American Hustle, Zero Dark Thirty, Her) tweeted about her experience with the game.

Just left @Naughty_Dog where I got to play a little UNCHARTED 4. Gorgeous gameplay. Epic worlds. I cannot wait for full immersion next year.

https://twitter.com/meganeellison/status/585895362436571136

Source:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04...cer-played-uncharted-4-recently-and-loved-it/

The thing about full immersion makes me think they are waiting for Morpheus. Maybe Morpheus was originally planned for a winter 15 release, but pushed back and therefore pushed U4 back too.

Circinus

The thing about full immersion makes me think they are waiting for Morpheus. Maybe Morpheus was originally planned for a winter 15 release, but pushed back and therefore pushed U4 back too.

I don't think so. She's clearly just implying the game will be immersive.

If Uncharted 4 was compatible with Morpheus I think we would have known by now. And I'm speaking from an armchair point of view, but I don't think Uncharted is particularly a good fit for Virtual Reality.

Twookie

eh, that seems unlikely. how would a third person shooter work with VR anyway

Funny how some people think that this are good news for Crystal Dynamics.

In fact, I think these are bad ones.

Why?

First, they didn't compete with Uncharted, assuming both games would launch this holidays... they both would be on different consoles and I'm sure both games will receive good reviews (great ones for Uncharted, for sure).

Second, we must assume Tomb Raider will launch on PS4 after an exclusivity deal with Microsoft and the regular term are... SIX MONTHS. So, now they will compete directly with Uncharted 4, in fact... and that's not a good scenario for them if they want to sell games on PS4 (some people is mad with them for the exclusivity and comparisons won´t be good for them, considering Naughty Dog is a far better studio IMO and will have extra months for working).

In the past scenario, they would launch alone on Xbox One and alone on PS4, after all Uncharted fans played the 4th game. In fact, I think they would delay their PS4 version and will launch on 2016 holidays, avoiding direct competition...

The longer the delay the worst the sales can be with PS4 version compared to sales of XB1 sales even though PS4 have larger install base only just because of this timed exclusivity deal and PS4 users will have Uncharted and many other new games released in 2016 to play instead of this 6 months old port. May be few might pick up PC version later in steam sales to play when there are no big releases.

eh, that seems unlikely. how would a third person shooter work with VR anyway

May be some levels of UC4 to be played in Project Morpheus like mini games i guess like a DLC thats not part of main game.

I wonder if it's because of a "back to the drawing board" decision after some early play test. I thought the PS4 was relatively easy to develop for, so could the delay be happening because they want to rethink the gameplay?

Unlikely. If they were going to make such huge changes, they'd delay it a lot more than just a few months.

baconcow

Better run well, with that kind of delay. This was going to be my 2015 blockbuster, along with Zelda Wii U (also now likely 2016).

Javin98

Banned
Shit. This thread being revived just reminded me of how disappointed I was when I first heard Uncharted 4 was delayed. Really wanted it to be my first PS4 game completed.... I guess a delay is for the best, but I would be extremely disappointed if Naughty Dog releases only two games this gen (excluding TLOU R)

I just read that opening statement and...

climactic chapter? closure?

ND finishing Uncharted for good!?

NOOOOOOOOoo

I think Naughty Dog finishing Uncharted would be the best thing they could do. I want more original IP form them like The Last of Us.

Even if ND is done with the series, the franchise itself will live on.

I just read that opening statement and...

climactic chapter? closure?

ND finishing Uncharted for good!?

NOOOOOOOOoo

I think Uncharted 4 will end in the same way as U3, in which they could have finished the franchise with 3 and no one would've complained. In other words I think U4 will have an open ended ending. ND will move on and if they feel like going to back to it, they'll go back to it with no problems (as long as it makes sense of course).

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I think that it would be stupid to end Uncharted this soon in the PS4's life cycle. I would end it with part 5 when the console is in it's final year. But this is just my own personal opinion.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sony cancelled my E3 2014 pre-order. Shame on them with the 360+ day wait on the digital clock, but they do send out a notice that your game has been delayed prior to the cancellation. I've just never gotten the e-mail a head of time. They always end up refunding me.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
Why did you bump this thread? For a second I thought the game got delayed again till summer, luckily I read the full title before flipping out lol.

Armadilo

Banned
I think what they could do is introduce Nathan Drake's child by the end of this game and for the future Uncharted games let us play through the kid as he or she grows up and follows the footsteps of Nathan Drake, Damn it would be crazy and awesome to have Nathan Drake as a NPC partner, older, and doing Nathan Drake things no matter the age, I think that would be nostalgia overlords seeing Nathan like that

I think what they could do is introduce Nathan Drake's child by the end of this game and for the future Uncharted games let us play through the kid as he or she grows up and follows the footsteps of Nathan Drake, Damn it would be crazy and awesome to have Nathan Drake as a NPC partner, older, and doing Nathan Drake things no matter the age, I think that would be nostalgia overlords seeing Nathan like that

IndianaJones4Shia_2.jpg

i choose make it awesome. it's the last game. why are they worried about financials? the better the quality is, the better the sales will be. especially with a highly-visible game like uncharted.

ND, in previous interviews/behind-the-scenes have always stated that they're a 'dateline-focused' company.

Before TLoU, they've never delayed a game ever, and Uncharted 4 is their first ever 'large' delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom