• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Drake's Face model

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
"Finally"? After The Last of Us won everything you could win and was praised (among everything else) for the non-interactive moments which were handkeyed?
Yea but some of the expressions during cutscenes were off. And the Last of Us didn't win all of those awards JUST because of the non-interactive moments.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Could you please explain to him why he is wrong? Maybe a mod might change his mind. Seems everyone's explanations are ignored.

Here is a short explanation on why he is wrong:

It's a cutscene.

The end.

Edit: to late, hehe that should teach me a lesson for butting in!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yea but some of the expressions during cutscenes were off. And the Last of Us didn't win all of those awards JUST because of the non-interactive moments.
There are a lot of reviewers that gushed all over the facial expressions and I've heard on podcasts how people were shocked that they weren't performance captured.

But yes, The Last of Us didn't win them because of that alone. It won all those awards because it was determined that it was the best all around package. Facial expressions are a big part of the cinematics that were highly praised, though.

Crossing Eden

There are a lot of reviewers that gushed all over the facial expressions and I've heard on podcasts how people were shocked that they weren't performance captured.

But yes, The Last of Us didn't win them because of that alone. It won all those awards because it was determined that it was the best all around package. Facial expressions are a big part of the cinematics that were highly praised, though.
Yea, some scenes have really good facial animation, but some scenes don't. That's all i'm saying.

aeolist

Banned
i wonder if his apparently advanced age will have any real impact on the game or if it will be a mostly pointless cosmetic wallpaper on an otherwise superman character

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is that supposed to look impressive or something? I don't even see texture on the clothes. No stitching detail either. You're right about it being nothing special.

Are you blind or missing an eye? You might want to look at the eye patch.

benny_a

Yea, some scenes have really good facial animation, but some scenes don't. That's all i'm saying.
I'm just trying to point out that we're not talking about developers that fail at getting emotions across in their faces like BioWare, Capcom or CDPR to name a few that have emotion be part of their games.

Naughty Dog is so far ahead of the majority of the industry when it comes to portraying feelings through facial expression it just seemed weird to read your comment when it comes to performance capture.

Looks like some moderator is either too bored or has way too much free time on their hands.
And they use that free time to moderate a forum free of charge, what a bunch of cocks.

Jennipeg

I think it looks great, I am beyond excited for this game. And I thought I had had enough after 3, turns out that isn't the case.

I just hope they fix Elena's face this time, I was not a fan of her U3 model.

And they use that free time to moderate a forum free of charge, what a bunch of cocks.
SmallQuarterlyHapuku.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's what happens when you push for photo-realism i guess.

I can't really say he looks nothing like Drake because Drake has always been cartoony and over styled. I'm assuming this is what he would look like in a realistic CGish style while still being stylized.

I think it looks pretty cool.

Crossing Eden

Naughty Dog is so far ahead of the majority of the industry when it comes to portraying feelings through facial expression
Yea, ok then, that still doesn't affect the fact that some expressions in the last of us were off in my opinion.

jediyoshi

Yea, ok then, that still doesn't affect the fact that some expressions in the last of us were off in my opinion.

Unless that's supposed to contradict his original premise, I'm not actually sure your continued point. They're not exactly mutually exclusive statements here.

Crossing Eden

Unless that's supposed to contradict his original premise, I'm not actually sure your continued point. They're not exactly mutually exclusive statements here.
Because i'm stating my opinion the game. And I was wondering about if they were finally using facial motion capture. He took that as if I was saying "all the faces are horrible" it seems.

benny_a

Because i'm stating my opinion the game. And I was wondering about if they were finally using facial motion capture. He took that as if I was saying "all the faces are horrible" it seems.
No, I took the commonly understood meaning of "finally." Synonymous with "at last."

I don't really care for the new face model. He's changed a little from game to game, but he was still obviously Nate and I could easily tell. Here... if I had no context to the image posted, I would have NO clue who that guy was. Even with knowing it's from Uncharted 4, I wouldn't assume it was him because he looks so different to me. Not a fan.

The previous games had a more stylized character design which I loved, but I feel like they are going for a more realistic approach which is meh.

eXistor

Yeah, don't like this realistic approach at all. It's fine for the Last of Us 2, but Uncharted should be more stylized and colorful. With a realistic look also come expectations of realism in gameplay and other areas and that's just making it harder and harder for yourself; basically digging your own grave. I don't doubt ND's technical wizardry, but it means putting a lot of effort, time and money into things many don't even care much for at the possible expense of deep gameplay.

I'm obviously speculating here and they may surprise me (I hope they do), but this actually has me more worried than excited.

Voidguts

nobody probably noticed that because those two people look nothing alike

u got so much evil within, robotzombie. besides - the black background, the same haircut, the same pose & sad longing 4 dat ass in their eyes? I can't unsee it, personally, as someone who listens to the album all the time.

I think its funny that we are used to the "catoony" Drake. I mean its all we've seen since the U4 reveal anyways so I dont blame you guys to not like the new gen model.

But thats a good thing because these consoles are new and should offer improvements across the board and new graphics fidelity is one of those. Of course Drake should look better and I say he looks amazing. His new model just "clicks" with me. I say ND made a magnificent job at creating his new model for the new gen.

Pretty much this.

Sweet Ivy

Impressive, but there's something "different" in the very face that prevents me from thinking "Nate" straightaway.
It's not a matter of higher realism, I applaud that, it's really something with the features, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Top Bottom