• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Drake's Face model

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Dot know about how the gameplay is for driveclub or UC4 but second son was a downgrade for sure IMO

It's cool to have an opinion and everything, but the fact is that Second Son was a much better designed moment-to-moment, streamlined game than the previous entries.

It lacked content and substance, but the gameplay formula was set in stone by the same guy that helped conceive Halo.

There's no contest.

The only reason Second Son is such an easy Platinum is the gameplay being so good.

EDIT:

Okay so I morphed together all the actors I think I see in old Drake's face, leaving out the obvious... *cough*Nathan*cough*Fillion.... and this is what it came to:

csosBJu.jpg
+
+
+
=

tadaa

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Really don't know how I feel about Drake. The graphics are incredible in his face model but he looks too real. In naughty dog I trust so I'm sure it's all fine

Gurish

I still think it's unfair to compare the UC4 Drake with the previous Drakes. The previous ones were pre-rendered. I believe the UC4 Drake is realtime. It would be interesting to see a pre-rendered Drake with 6-8 PS4s. That's 11TFs!

I think this is the pre-rendered Drake with 8 PS4s, there is no way in the world that this model is a gameplay model.

Obviously a CGI or art, even if the game was 30 FPS i wouldn't buy this as gameplay, even more so with 60, you should lower your expectations quite a bit.

If the graphics are going to be this realistic I hope that we get some realistic hit detection and less bullet spongyness, it would just feel wierd to have such realistic models soaking up bullets. An M rating is in order perhaps? I doubt they would give an Uncharted game an M rating though.

jaosobno

I see a lot of age critics. The man is 40-ish, not 200 years old.

All I care about is that Uncharted 4 is gonna rock the house when it comes to graphics and I believe the gameplay will follow suit. I've never seen such a detailed face in any video game, ever. This game will probably set a new graphical benchmark and will run at 60 fps. Naughty Gods, indeed.

Alienous

It's cool to have an opinion and everything, but the fact is that Second Son was a much better designed moment-to-moment, streamlined game than the previous entries.

It lacked content and substance, but the gameplay formula was set in stone by the same guy that helped conceive Halo.

There's no contest.

The only reason Second Son is such an easy Platinum is the gameplay being so good.

EDIT:

Okay so I morphed together all the actors I think I see in old Drake's face, leaving out the obvious... *cough*Nathan*cough*Fillion.... and this is what it came to:

tREWYza.jpg

tadaa

No way. Haha, how cool.

Sid

Cannot wait for UC4 and Bloodborne,it would be crazy if the final game looks this good and run at 60FPS.

Gurish

I see a lot of age critics. The man is 40-ish, not 200 years old.

All I care about is that Uncharted 4 is gonna rock the house when it comes to graphics and I believe the gameplay will follow suit. I've never seen such a detailed face in any video game, ever. This game will probably set a new graphical benchmark and will run at 60 fps. Naughty Gods, indeed.
I'm betting it's not gonna top The Order while on 60 FPS and without black bars, if they will, they are Gods indeed, but I really find it hard to believe.

mrqs

Naughty Dog employees themselves have stated that they won't be pre-rendering their cutscenes anymore: http://n4g.com/news/1530441/no-more-pre-rendered-cutscenes-from-naughty-dog-starting-with-uncharted-4-report

Not that much of a confirmation to me. They all say "in-engine real-time on PS4", that doesn't make much sense. In-engine does not mean In-game. In-engine is what they CAN achieve with the engine (The Last of Us and Unchated 1, 2 and 3 cutscenes were all In-engine). In all reveals they mislead the player saying "CAPTURED ON A PLAYSTATION X" (as you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Rx-Bbht5E ). We all know by now that those graphics on TLOU reveal does not represent actual IN-GAME stuff. It's their engine at it's best.

Don't get me wrong, they are software engineering gods and those games looks spetacular, but there's always a drawback from the in-engine cutscenes.

Not that much of a confirmation to me. They all say "in-engine real-time on PS4", that doesn't make much sense. In-engine does not mean In-game. In-engine is what they CAN achieve with the engine (The Last of Us and Unchated 1, 2 and 3 cutscenes were all In-engine). In all reveals they mislead the player saying "CAPTURED ON A PLAYSTATION X" (as you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Rx-Bbht5E ). We all know by now that those graphics on TLOU reveal does not represent actual IN-GAME stuff. It's their engine at it's best.

Don't get me wrong, they are software engineering gods and those games looks spetacular, but there's always a drawback from the in-engine cutscenes.

they give believable reason why they had to use realtime this time, the prerendered cutscene method they use for previous games take so much space on bluray disc, and that is just 720p 30fps video. if they use that method with uncharted 4 which will have 1080p and potentially 60fps video, bluray disc probably won't be enough.

so they've said they will use real time cutscenes this time.

Ah, the face of a remorseless killer who had plastic surgery to look different to how he did when he murdered people. Now on a clean slate, he's back to steal more treasure off dead people and kill ANYONE who also wants the treasure.

I love the plots of these games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm betting it's not gonna top The Order while on 60 FPS and without black bars, if they will, they are Gods indeed, but I really find it hard to believe.

It should top The Order. Bigger budget, more resources, more experience with the hardware.

Gurish

they give believable reason why they had to use realtime this time, the prerendered cutscene method they use for previous games take so much space on bluray disc, and that is just 720p 30fps video. if they use that method with uncharted 4 which will have 1080p and potentially 60fps video, bluray disc probably won't be enough.

so they've said they will use real time cutscenes this time.

Blu-ray was enough for the probably much longer cut scenes of TLoU:R running at 1080P and 60 fps, why not with U4?

JCreasy

I love the photo realism. The cartoonish designs from the past were the best they could do with the hardware/technology at the time. Now they can push past that and it looks amazing. I hope they keep going. I get no uncanny valley vibe at all from what I've seen so far.

Now that I've seen the FF XV demo, I know they can achieve this for actual gameplay, or something severely close.

charsace

Am I the only who remembers ND saying they would go for more realism every generation? One of the reasons why I'm surprised they are still doing uncharted is that they moved on from crash and then moved on from J&D because they said they would move on to something else with each reach towards realistic visuals.

charsace

Sony needs to go back to David O Russell and Marky Mark on their hands and knees and beg them to do that Uncharted movie again.

Incredible. You can actually see those leather stiches pop-up.

We all know that this might be a model from the "pre-rendered" cutscenes, so does not represent 1:1 gameplay. But it's impressive nonetheless.
They are no longer using prerendered cutscenes. They said they take up too much space.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Am I the only who remembers ND saying they would go for more realism every generation? One of the reasons why I'm surprised they are still doing uncharted is that they moved on from crash and then moved on from J&D because they said they would move on to something else with each reach towards realistic visuals.

Its not entirely up to them to decide that.

SerTapTap

If all you saw of Uncharted 2 was the train climbing scene (great as it was) you'd probably get the wrong impression of Drakes "new" personality too. Wouldn't make too many assumptions.

Fillian or North, I don't care as long as I get a Drake-vibe from the finished product (with voice-over and actually animated), but this pictures gives me, as others have pointed out already a "Liam Neeson wants revenge" vibe.

Can you imagine this guy laughing after jumping out of a crumbling-down building into another??! He catches me more as the kind who'd immediately take out the gun out of his holster, running to the broken window and then shooting down at the bad guys in the still crumbling building.

I'm a pessimistic a-hole, I know, but what I get from this is that the Amy Hennig action-fun lost and the Last of Us seriousness won at Naughty Dog... in generel, no matter the franchise.

Top Bottom