• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Game Informer preview details [Up: Will have multiplayer]

Man, I want to see Chloe and Cutter. Especially Cutter, that guy was my favorite Uncharted 3 character.

Agreed, Cutter was a lot of fun, it'd be great to see him return. Unfortunately, I get the feeling both him and Chloe won't get more than a passing reference this time around. Naughty Dog would have a difficult time crafting a story that incorporates all these past characters in some way, so I imagine some of them will be put on the back burner. It'll be a shame, but a necessary sacrifice.

Man, I want to see Chloe and Cutter. Especially Cutter, that guy was my favorite Uncharted 3 character.
Dat ass in 1080p!

Agreed, Cutter was a lot of fun, it'd be great to see him return. Unfortunately, I get the feeling both him and Chloe won't get more than a passing reference this time around. Naughty Dog would have a difficult time crafting a story that incorporates all these past characters in some way, so I imagine some of them will be put on the back burner. It'll be a shame, but a necessary sacrifice.

I don't see why they couldn't just throw them in somehow. Their roles in UC3 were hardly that crucial (but now that I think about it, Cutter rebelled from the enemy side didn't he?). But it would take away from the island isolation aspect (assuming the whole game takes place on the island).

Auctopus

ND bring back unlockable cheats. those made U2 sooooooooo goooooooood

All for this, loved using skins in U2. Apparently they didn't work well due to the way cutscenes worked in U3 i.e. Some scenes went cutscene directly in to gameplay.

Everything's sounding great.

Dat ass in 1080p!

I don't see why they couldn't just throw them in somehow. Their roles in UC3 were hardly that crucial.

And ND drew some criticism for it as a result. Chloe was under-utilised, and Cutter made his exit prematurely. That's something Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann will probably want to avoid this time around.

LastNac

It's not something I particularly dig in Uncharted games, I prefer they keep it pretty straight and bombastic. That's specific to the very cinematic nature of U2 and U3 for me, although I didn't really care for it in Unity either. Combined with the quote about set pieces I'm not sure what direction they're aiming for.

I can very much relate to the desire of wanting it to feel "straight and bombastic." All three Uncharteds have had a great sense of pace where I felt TLoU lagged at times, particularly during Summer. It's interesting to note that Summer is also the most "open" of the seasons in terms of action and activities. The Uncharted series has always been a roller-coaster in terms of plot pace versus the slow burn of TLoU. I really want Uncharted to stay a roller-coaster.

As for the set piece comment, I infer that he is talking about a kind of "internal set piece" akin to what TLoU had with
Giraffes
and the kind Uncharted 3 often used. Explosions can get only so big, but in the end they are very much still explosions. It seems like the goal this time around is to treat the audience to unconventional moments in terms of context. For example, the Prologue of TLoU was very much a set piece in a way that it was "something impactful" and provided an emotional connection. I'm perfectly fine with this approach because it offers a sense of mechanical empathy that lets use relate to the scene in a more powerful way than cutscenes ever would have. There is something special about being involved in those story sequences that make you more susceptible to what's happening on screen.

I bring it up often, but Uncharted 3 was able to do these sequences really well. The most effective of course being the desert. Keeping the desert playable made it possible to empathize with Drake. One situation in particular required us to keep him on his feet, almost as if the person with the controller was acting as a manifestation of pure will.
lost_desert_night_kneeling.png

People often compare the desert to the Tibetan Village and honestly, outside of mechanical similarities, I don't see how they could be similar. The Tibetan Village was a nice break from the action and helped pace the second half of Among Thieves. The Desert instead told us things about the character himself and it did it with gameplay. Both sequences are used very differently and to very different means. The Tibetan Village was a nice moment, but I really hope UC4 has sequences similar to the Desert Sequence because it really did have a sense of "playable story" to it where the Tibetan Village really didn't.

Here is hoping this moment:
art-uc-beach-full.jpg

Is a little like this moment:
lost%20desert%20day.jpg

I'm not too worried though, I trust Margenau to pull it off well.

I think it will be more like The Last Crusade's Elsa: where Sam is blinded by greed or a specific goal, not caring about putting his/Drake's/Elena's/Sully's life on the line, instead of a full-on betrayalton.
I don't know man, Uncharted 3 was already like The Last Crusade in terms of where it took characters.

It's irritating because I want to experience an entire game, not half of it.
I would also like to feel like I have the "Uncharted experience" down in one go. I will always replay it of course, but I expect I would have this sense of doubt, forcing me to double check every step and examine each corner. Every Uncharted in the past has simply propelled me forward and I love that about the series.
That sounds like something that should have been touched upon in Uncharted 3, because that game dealt with Drake's childhood and motivations but apparently this game will go even further back into his life with this whole brother thing. Maybe Drake's parents too. He was orphaned around what, 10?
although I guess he wouldn't have been Drake back then ha

Honestly, story-wise, that's my biggest concern with where things could go. I don't want to see them override Drake's development from UC3. This whole notion of a brother was apparently a decision made since the beginning, and that is fine, but it feels like there is a need to flush out Drake's background with every new installment. Honestly though, I feel like we already know the character well. Unless there are some really dark skeletons in the closet I don't think anything could change my perception of the character, especially after learning that he wasn't really a
Drake
. I loved that self-worth was a big part of UC3, it seemed like a fresh concept that I hadn't seen many story's explore with their protagonist. I just really hope none of that is retconned.

TimFL

This is nice and all but WHEN can I pre-order this from the PS Store? I don't care if it comes out at the end of the year, just let me pre-order it (it will ease the time I spend waiting).

Also wasnt there a tease of the release date already? "coming Unchartedary 2015"? A month ending with "..ary" sounds too good to be true though since we should've heard of a proper release date by now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably more excited about the multiplayer at this point. TLOU MP is so good.

Honest question because I've barely played it (multiplayer wise) but did Naughty Dog ever fuck up the multiplayer for that and really annoy the fans in the way they did with U2 and U3 ?

ZeroX03

Banned
I can very much relate to the desire of wanting it to feel "straight and bombastic." All three Uncharteds have had a great sense of pace where I felt TLoU lagged at times, particularly during Summer. It's interesting to note that Summer is also the most "open" of the seasons in terms of action and activities. The Uncharted series has always been a roller-coaster in terms of plot pace versus the slow burn of TLoU. I really want Uncharted to stay a roller-coaster.

As for the set piece comment, I infer that he is talking about a kind of "internal set piece" akin to what TLoU had with
Giraffes
and the kind Uncharted 3 often used. Explosions can get only so big, but in the end they are very much still explosions. It seems like the goal this time around is to treat the audience to unconventional moments in terms of context. For example, the Prologue of TLoU was very much a set piece in a way that it was "something impactful" and provided an emotional connection. I'm perfectly fine with this approach because it offers a sense of mechanical empathy that lets use relate to the scene in a more powerful way than cutscenes ever would have. There is something special about being involved in those story sequences that make you more susceptible to what's happening on screen.

I bring it up often, but Uncharted 3 was able to do these sequences really well. The most effective of course being the desert. Keeping the desert playable made it possible to empathize with Drake. One situation in particular required us to keep him on his feet, almost as if the person with the controller was acting as a manifestation of pure will.

People often compare the desert to the Tibetan Village and honestly, outside of mechanical similarities, I don't see how they could be similar. The Tibetan Village was a nice break from the action and helped pace the second half of Among Thieves. The Desert instead told us things about the character himself and it did it with gameplay. Both sequences are used very differently and to very different means. The Tibetan Village was a nice moment, but I really hope UC4 has sequences similar to the Desert Sequence because it really did have a sense of "playable story" to it where the Tibetan Village really didn't.

I'm not too worried though, I trust Margenau to pull it off well.

I don't know man, Uncharted 3 was already like The Last Crusade in terms of where it took characters.

I would also like to feel like I have the "Uncharted experience" down in one go. I will always replay it of course, but I expect I would have this sense of doubt, forcing me to double check every step and examine each corner. Every Uncharted in the past has simply propelled me forward and I love that about the series.

Honestly, story-wise, that's my biggest concern with where things could go. I don't want to see them override Drake's development from UC3. This whole notion of a brother was apparently a decision made since the beginning, and that is fine, but it feels like there is a need to flush out Drake's background with every new installment. Honestly though, I feel like we already know the character well. Unless there are some really dark skeletons in the closet I don't think anything could change my perception of the character, especially after learning that he wasn't really a
Drake
. I loved that self-worth was a big part of UC3, it seemed like a fresh concept that I hadn't seen many story's explore with their protagonist. I just really hope none of that is retconned.

Yeah I get what you're saying and I think we're on the same page. I thought the desert moment was fantastic.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Gonna hold off this time.

If they haven't fixed the sloppy imprecise controls from the first 3 games then I'm not interested. Hoping this gets a demo. I day oned the other 3 games and I especially regretted it with 3.

I really hope that the story quality can match TLOU. Particularly the villains. In TLOU David was a fantastic villain, I really hope they aim to match and exceed that. And to give the villain some real presence, UC3's villain was particularly uninteresting

boinx

Honest question because I've barely played it (multiplayer wise) but did Naughty Dog ever fuck up the multiplayer for that and really annoy the fans in the way they did with U2 and U3 ?

It's only gotten better with more content and balance patches if you ask me. The only bad thing is that most of the new content like weapons are paid DLC.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It'll never happen. Not fitting at all for the tone of Uncharted.

Very true but it's also incredibly meaty and satisfying. It's why I prefer TLOU over the Uncharted games combat wise. There's an oomph to its combat that's not present in Uncharted. Saying that I guess it'll never happen so oh well.

It's only gotten better with more content and balance patches if you ask me. The only bad thing is that most of the new content like weapons are paid DLC.

Saw that the other day whilst browsing the PSN store, was surprised at the number of items to buy :p

Seriously though Raptor, why the gore?

It's the visceral satisfaction of firing a weapon and seeing it do damage. Gore is only one part of that, environmental reactions should be up there as well. That's why the particle system in FEAR is still heads and shoulders above most shooters. That's how I see it anyway, Raptor is just bloodthirsty.

Uncharted will never have gore though, and that's fine. Enemies have to react to being hit though. Every bullet. That's crucial, and more than just feedback for the player, it adds some strategy by being able to reliably stagger enemies, especially while hanging.

LastNac

It's just the visceral satisfaction of firing a weapon and seeing do damage. Gore is only one part of that, environmental reactions should be up there as well. That's why the particle system in FEAR is still heads and shoulders above most shooters.

Uncharted will never have gore though, and that's fine. Enemies have to react to being hit though. Every bullet. That's crucial, and more than just feedback for the player, it adds some strategy by being able to reliably stagger enemies, especially while hanging.

Would you have Zelda implement every slice of Link's sword?

jett

D-Member
No comment on 60fps? I guess that's that.

p.s. you can see some alternate paths in the PSX demo, although they ostensibly lead to the same area.

There a few glitches and minor connection issues during the PS3 release. During PS4 release they had those connection problems that lead ND to give 2 free MP maps. Haven't seen any annoyances from fans in the terms of Patch 1.04. I'll be honest though, I was pretty impressed by how well it worked even without a Public Beta.

Quotient

Details sound fantastic. I think it may be time to go on a U4 blackout. I ruined U3 by watching and reading every scrape of detail.

Raptor

I'm with Raptor. I say the PSX grapple punch moment would have been improved by seeing the victim's neck bone penetrate his skin as his neck is snapped by the momentum of the punch.

High five!!!

It's the visceral satisfaction of firing a weapon and seeing it do damage. Gore is only one part of that, environmental reactions should be up there as well. That's why the particle system in FEAR is still heads and shoulders above most shooters. That's how I see it anyway, Raptor is just bloodthirsty.

Yes I want to see damage being done, TLOU is particularly great at this thats all.

ryan299

Is multiplayer good in the uncharted games? I never tried it, always felt like shooting was the worst part of that series. Didn't feel crisp to me

Would you have Zelda implement every slice?

I'm pretty sure enemies react to every slice in 3D Zelda titles, sometimes Nintendo even goes as far as including a slight pause every time you connect. In any case that's a different thing altogether. You never need to buy a split second of time in Zelda to regenerate health or reposition while hanging from a ledge and 5 different enemies are shooting at you. If nothing else, Uncharted gunplay has to have clear and reliable feedback for it to work, or else you end up with Uncharted 3 featuring shotgun enemies who shrug off bullets while running to take cover or melee enemies who can drag you into canned animations.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Never before have I seen a post so accurately echo my own thoughts. Bravo, Net. You just saved me a lot of typing on my phone.

Grudy

I don't have a PS4 yet but if the multiplayer is anything like Uncharted 2 pre-1.05 then I'll go all in. I fell in love with U2's multiplayer and put hundreds of hours into it with my friends even after the 1.05 patch. I wasn't a fan of all the changes in Uncharted 3's MP but it was alright, just didn't click as well with me. Always preferred the simpler loadouts and symmetrical maps of Uncharted 2.

LastNac

I'm pretty sure enemies react to every slice in 3D Zelda titles, sometimes Nintendo even goes as far as including a slight pause every time you connect. In any case that's a different thing altogether. You never need to buy a split second of time in Zelda to regenerate health or reposition while hanging from a ledge and 5 different enemies are shooting at you. If nothing else, Uncharted gunplay has to have clear and reliable feedback for it to work, or else you end up with Uncharted 3 featuring shotgun enemies who shrug off bullets while running to take cover or melee enemies who can drag you into canned animations.

The demo seemed to offer a greater sense of responsiveness. I think it'll be fine.

Top Bottom