• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Jigolo

Some pictures with actual corrected levels for PC (16-235 video properly converted to 0-255):
You obviously know more than I do. What do you suspect went wrong with the footage they uploaded? Forgot to set Full RGB?

Also mind sharing screens of the rocks and foliage for comparison? Thanks

Halcyon

As I'm watching the gameplay video my first impression is that it looks like uncharted. If you told me it was uncharted 4 for ps3 I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

PC elitist give PC gamers a bad name. If you can't appreciate what ND is doing with the hardware then I can only assume you're one of those PC gamers who doesn't know anything about their own hardware or the hardware that's in the PS4.

"What kind of PC do you have?"

"Oh it cost about a $1000 bucks or so"

"uhh..."

Are people really complaining about the graphics of a game that's still a year away from release?

Jesus, I think I need to find a new hobby....

Nah, just need to take a break from gaming forums man. Seriously, so much blatant concern trolling on this thread...makes me feel like taking a break myself.
On topic, this game looks like being everything I could expect from the first Uncharted game on current gen. The fluidity of the combat and traversal are what makes me think this could be the most enjoyable Uncharted (from a purely game play perspective) yet.

As I'm watching the gameplay video my first impression is that it looks like uncharted. If you told me it was uncharted 4 for ps3 I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

This isn't my grandpa's neogaf account is it? If it is, you have got soup on your glasses! Wipe it off and watch again!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
nick-cage-lol.gif

i-Lo

you'd never see something that black while the sun is still up. l'd say the compression is causing a loss of detail in dark levels.

And I never said anything to insinuate otherwise. There is a range of blacks for conveying depending upon light penetration. That said it's quite blatantly obvious that the blacks look washed out and grey in this UC video and as such see no point arguing over objective technical faux pas at the source.

Halcyon

This isn't my grandpa's neogaf account is it? If it is, you have got soup on your glasses! Wipe it off and watch again!

Aside from the better image quality and more vegetation it isn't a huge upgrade to me. I think it's a testament to how good 2 and 3 looked.

Posts like this are what almost convince me that maybe graphics don't matter. If people really can't tell the difference between UC4 and UC3, I dunno why we even bother. Either people don't understand graphics, they forgot what the PS3's stuff looked like, they're lying/trolling or are partially blind.

MormaPope

Banned
Sony just released a brand new screenshot, this proves everybody in this thread is wrong and in fact the game has been upgraded.

enhanced-buzz-15024-1309369192-25.jpg

Ken Marino does look like Nathan Drake.

This thread has been boring for pages because of the same two or three screenshots being rotated. Okay, lets say the game is downgraded, is it bad enough where some of you wouldn't buy the game if you were interested before? What's the endgame for the conversation taking place?

Aside from the better image quality and more vegetation it isn't a huge upgrade to me. I think it's a testament to how good 2 and 3 looked.

Better image quality
More foliage
1080p in alpha already
Better shadowing
Better animation
Environment like mud and water interacting with objects after the fact
Much bigger environment

Oh and this is alpha. Do you think they won't even improve from this in 11 more months ?

I-hate-u

I would just like to come into this thread and remind people that Uncharted 4 and Zelda U are a year away from release. Can we not panic pls?

i-Lo

It's because the environment seen is familiar and I'd suggest going back to U2 and 3 and comparing it against finished U4 back to back in terms environmental detail, scale and density.

Also, the skin shader alone is a generation ahead.

ToD_

Some additional pictures with corrected levels:

ceiozSD.png

The small gray bar you see in the histogram should be all the way on the left side (that would be the 0 for PC levels). In this video it's at 16, which is common for video material. They distributed this video without taking into account this was going to be mainly displayed by users with monitors using PC levels.

Sony just released a brand new screenshot, this proves everybody in this thread is wrong and in fact the game has been upgraded.

Ken-Marino-is-Ron-Donald-party-down-6944539-680-380.jpg

This thread has been boring for pages because of the same two or three screenshots being rotated. Okay, lets say the game is downgraded, is it bad enough where some of you wouldn't buy the game if you were interested before? What's the endgame for the conversation taking place?

Image is broken.

i-Lo

Some additional pictures with corrected levels:

ceiozSD.png

The small gray bar you see in the histogram should be all the way on the left side (that would be the 0 for PC levels). In this video it's at 16, which is common for video material. They distributed this video without taking into account this was going to be mainly displayed by users with monitors using PC levels.

Well well well.....

Edit: Can this be done for the entire video?

pixlexic

Banned
isnt it funny that uncharted was built on the tomb raider concept then the new tomb raider took some of uncharted and now uncharted took from the new tomb raider.

Ken-Marino-is-Ron-Donald-party-down-6944539-680-380.jpg

Yeah right? Must be so depressing for the developers parsing through these comments when all most people can talk about is graphics, graphics, graphics. No wonder, when some developers take this to heart and concentrate on graphics at the expense of game play. After all that is the impression they get from here and almost every comments section for games nowadays.

I wish he used a torch inside the cave instead of the flashlight, I just love the fire effect and animation inside dark places, like in the last Tomb Raider

ToD_

Well well well.....

Edit: Can this be done for the entire video?

I'm using ffdshow, which corrects this real time for the entire video. I don't have time to reencode the video with the corrections and reupload somewhere, but I'm sure someone else will.

Dave_6

Wow, finally got the HQ version downloaded off Gamersyde and holy shit at the difference over YT and the live stream! I mean damn, massive difference in a positive way. Looks fucking great to me!

MormaPope

Banned
Image is broken.

Fixed.

Yeah right? Must be so depressing for the developers parsing through this comments when all most people can talk about is graphics, graphics, graphics. No wonder, when some developers take this to heart and concentrate on graphics at the expense of game play. After all that is the impression they get from here and almost every comments section for games nowadays.

Discussing graphics and visuals is fine, but it gets so damn boring when people start arguing over the tiniest of details. So Uncharted 4 won't look like that reveal trailer from last year, so what? It'll either look like it later or it'll never look like it, its not as if Naughty Dog wants the game to not be at its fullest.

Elios83

Honest opinion, I was not blown away.
The game looks of course mighty impressive but with Uncharted and ND the expectation is to set some kind of new standard. This clearly didn't happen with this demo.
Maybe the demo simply wasn't particularly interesting, too much time climbing on the rocks, the shooting sections were pretty basic although they gave away a few gameplay improvements like the added verticality, more importance on stealth, a few new tricks like the rope, the ice/rock axe.
The games seems to be really inspired by the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot. It's not clear if they're hinting at an open world or semi-open world island as the setting which would be a significant change for the series. Even in this case since variety is an important part in the success of the Uncharted formula I hope that the game takes place in different places around the world and not in a single big setting like the TR reboot.
Overall I'm happy with the gameplay demo, it was more than I expected at this stage, it means that development is progressing well and I'm sure that they have lots of tricks up their sleeve (they're not going to spoil key sections of the game so early), graphics will improve a lot as well, but next time I see the game I want to be amazed like happened with the U2 and U3 E3 demos, something that didn't happen today.

kanuuna

I hope they can work in that per object motion blur for E3 2015. Or rather, for the official release. It did Uncharted 2 good.
Also, I don't mind them holding back set piece moments, because they absolutely killed Uncharted 3's suprises by showing pretty much every one of those moments to people who were following media for the game before release.

Bad7667

You make the best looking game so far this console generation and it's still not good enough. Just another day at ND. The bar is too damn high.

Or visuals don't matter to that poster as much as it does to other people.

The game is beautiful but it doesn't look like its doing anything that different then the other games in the series.

Also, after ND's Last of Us E3 video, I don't trust that some of the interesting AI actually makes it into the game. That Last of us video with how the AI responded to the player was incredible. The game was amazing but I couldn't help feel a little disappointed that it didn't match that video.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There's plenty of times I feel this way. I can't stomach modern gamers.
Its not modern gamers, its PC elitists. There is no planet in which you aren't impressed by U4 coming from a console background.
Only high end PC gamers can possibly enter this thread and say they are not impressed by the graphics.

And if you pay close attention, its usually always the same people here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Impressive for how old that hardware is regardless.

Of course. I'm just saying that the difference between last gen and current gen doesn't seem subtle to me.

Raxus

You make the best looking game so far this console generation and it's still not good enough. Just another day at ND. The bar is too damn high.

Witcher 3 is coming up for consoles as well so they have some competition.

There were some improvements to Uncharted 4's engine on display on the demo. Some of the textures were flat and looked like they were from uncharted 3 and despite more horsepower it is still running at 30 FPS which is slightly disappointing.

Also they did clip through the world in the demo. The game still has a ways to go before it is done.

Ratrat

What do you mean? TLOU wasn't a huge step up from U3 but is considered one of the best games of the generation. U4 doesn't look much better than The Order from the YouTube clip imo, which is not damning the game by any means. Please get off Naughty Dogs dick.

Top Bottom