• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

So people shouldn't play people. They should be restricted to playing according to the race and label they "belong to."

This is the digital world. It's not as simple as looking at something as obviously racist as blackface and calling it racism. It's voice work. It's how we have a black guy voicing Samurai Jack and had another black guy doing the voice of Shredder back in the 80's.

But oh wait. They should've gotten only Asians to voice those two characters, right? And David Prowse should've voiced Darth Vader. Nevermind the fact that the people who wound up with those jobs were the most talented and best fits for the roles. They should've kept the races separate and only let them play themselves.

And when you point out racism where none exists, you're making a mockery out of the actual fight against racism that people are fighting and dying for.
Yeah people should play people. I just wish some black people could play the black characters.

Because the creators have a certain look they want for a character and a certain voice to match that character. Whatever voice they like best, works.

Unless you're saying a black person has to sound a different way? In which I'd question what you're really trying to get at here.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. If they want a very specific voice for a character, they'll look for it.
So no one black could have done this?

Javin98

Banned
I have to admit, I didn't notice how good the hair looked when I first watched it. It's probably because it looked so natural that it didn't stick out like most video game hair or fur would. Also, I was hyped as fuck for an Uncharted 4 trailer, which might I add, is the best video game trailer in that show by far.

Fupri

Banned
She's gonna fight drake, she'll win then next encounter Elena (or surprise Chloe) will kill her or she'll die in a car crash

Reebot

And? Maybe none of the other actresses (of any color) were the right build. Or had the right physicality. Or the right chemistry with the main actors.

Really only the chemistry part is needed in motion capture. Look up Nolan North, he's not got Drake's body. Or look up Ray Winstone filming Beowulf for an even better example.

Its one of the few performance arts I can think of where the skin color of the performance is completely detached from that of the character.

Oh come on, you know that's not what he's saying. Don't play dumb to try and score easy points.

Gold_Loot

Remember that huge controversy here when people found out Kratos was voiced by a black man? No? Neither do I. We see this all the time when it comes to VA's.Please grow up and get over it.

GnawtyDog

Banned

I'm on Merle camp but people are claiming Baily due to the mocap pic on Druck's twitter.

If she's isn't the voice actor, then she's probably the perfect one off the top of my head - she's already got previous ND contact - with success. I would be surprised if Baily could pull that voice. Seems more natural, more plausible to come from Merle after the way she voiced Merlene in TLOU.

Then again you see Nolan doing all these voices.....you can hardly recognize him at times.

Javin98

Banned
It looks a little weird, more uncomfortably "uncanny valley" than something like TLOU. Can't quite put my finger on it.
Well, the characters look much more realistic than those in TLOU, so when the lip synching feels a bit off, you notice the flaws much easier. I don't know, I never really got an uncanny valley feeling in any of the trailers, but I have to admit, ND should fix Nadine's expressions a little.

Zornack

At first I thought "oh no, this is gonna go bad", but yeah, it's only going to be bad for the MRA. I'm sure Nadine is going to kick Drake's ass, considering the cutscene.

There'll definitely be people on the left upset by her. It's inevitable because people from different groups want different types of characters. Too strong and she's brutish, too weak and she's a damsel, beat her up and it's violence against women, have her avoid confrontations and it's coddling.

Vire

One nitpick criticism, the light source seems to be a bit off. Certain portions of her face are too brightly lit in the intro and at the start of the fight scene her left arm is shining when it looks like it shouldn't be based on the lighting conditions.

I'd post screens, but I'm on mobile.

I know it sounds incredibly nit picky since the overall scene is amazing looking, but when you watch the behind the scenes for The Last of Us, they actually stressed over this kind of thing.

I'm on Merle camp but people are claiming Baily due to the mocap pic on Druck's twitter.

If she's isn't the voice actor, then she's probably the perfect one off the top of my head - that's already got previous ND contact - with success. I would be surprised if Baily could pull that voice. Seems more natural, more plausible to come from Merle after the way she voiced Merlene in TLOU.

Then again you see Nolan doing all these voices.....you can hardly recognize him

Check the OP. Druckmann tweeted that Bailey is playing Nadine.

9PZCmDu.gif

I like how the scene was lit as a whole. Really adds atmosphere to the nighttime scene.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Voiced accurately"? Are you saying black people have something different about their voices?

Game looks great and whoever did the voice for her sounds like she's doing a fantastic job. I don't care what color her skin is.

Yeah, we do a lot of the time.

We certainly don't sound like Laura bailey,where i come from. I don't claim to know what ND's direction is with the character...but if your going for a South African native, i don't think she would be my first choice to begin with.

No joke, I actually laughed out loud when I saw the trailer. The graphics, and specifically animation, are just bordering on CG levels at this point. Can't believe it's real time honestly. Also, I didn't think it was possible, but I think the facial animation has gotten even better for U4. It was already top class in TLOU. I think the AA could be better but that's about it.
also 60 FPS

More to the content of the trailer though, Nadine looks so cool. I freaking love the writing in ND games. This trailer was really entertaining to watch.

Memento

There'll definitely be people on the left upset by her. It's inevitable because people from different groups want different types of characters. Too strong and she's brutish, too weak and she's a damsel, beat her up and it's violence against women, have her avoid confrontations and it's coddling.

Yeah. The same happens with gay characters. People are never satisfied...

Certainly. But like I mentioned earlier, they scrapped a bunch of mocap and voice work when the project was rebooted. They let go of some voice actors and brought in new ones. One example would be Troy replacing Todd Stashwick as Sam. It's possible that they wanted to hire established people to make sure that they didn't have any hiccups in the production because they were having to redo so much stuff in a short timeframe. Both Troy and Laura are very established and have done extremely solid performance capture work, so there would be no need to work them into how its done. They could just jump into the roles with ease.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I feel like the people complaining about Bailey would have an existential crisis if they were to watch this.

No joke, I actually laughed out loud when I saw the trailer. The graphics, and specifically animation, are just bordering on CG levels at this point. Can't believe it's real time honestly. Also, I didn't think it was possible, but I think the facial animation has gotten even better for U4. It was already top class in TLOU. I think the AA could be better but that's about it.
also 60 FPS

More to the content of the trailer though, Nadine looks so cool. I freaking love the writing in ND games. This trailer was really entertaining to watch.
They're using facial capture for the first time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I'm glad that they made her strong, I think that's something that's lacking in the industry. I'm sure that people will be angry, regardless of what they do, but it'll show how ridiculous all discrimation towards women is. Pretty sure any fit woman could kick my ass, and I'm sure Nadine is going to be awesome.

One nitpick criticism, the light source seems to be a bit off. Certain portions of her face are too brightly lit in the intro and at the start of the fight scene her left arm is shining when it looks like it shouldn't be based on the lighting conditions.

I'd post screens, but I'm on mobile.

I know it sounds incredibly nit picky since the overall scene is amazing looking, but when you watch the behind the scenes for The Last of Us, they actually stressed over this kind of thing.

Damn, good eye!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks fantastic. And it's all realtime this time too.

I don't know what was going on with the facial animation in that video there but that shit looked odd in ways that TLOU never did.
I agree that the lip sync was not perfect all the time here, but it was not perfect in some of the cutscenes in previous Uncharted games either. They can't get everything 101% right I guess. On the other hand, the cutscene where Drake was talking to Sam in the first trailer was practically flawless in that sense for example.

Cos let's be honest, with this level of graphical fidelity, the results could be disturbing and would raise many questions about misogyny in the industry.
As someone mentioned earlier, you have women fighting men in Mortal Kombat where it's way more gory and disturbing. The point is, as fighters, they are presented as equals there - which is the case here as well.

This makes zero sense. Absolutely zero sense. These two things are not related at all. We are talking about acting here.

Also, have you ever played TLOU? There are many black characters there with black actors making their voices. So it is not like ND despises people of color or anything. This is just a ridiculous and sensitive overreaction I am sorry.
Yes mocapping is acting. On a soundstage. Voice acting is acting behind a mic. Thats my point, they're not the same. ND designs their characters to resemble their actors in a stylized way. It's why Elena looks more and more like Emily Rose with every game with advancing tech.

Of course I've played TLoU. Having three black actors in one game isn't some pass on every other game afterwards. I'm not saying ND despises people of colour. I am saying it is a really odd decision with the casting here.

The only overreaction I'm seeing is people saying "stop talking about this" and complaining about the pc police. Don't worry, no one is taking your video games away from you.

Guys, remember who voiced Samurai Jack?

tumblr_inline_nk1shu17QZ1qfepuq.jpg

It happens a lot in cartoons, animation, and video games. It's not a big deal as long as the voice actor isn't trying to stereotype the character.

Certainly. But like I mentioned earlier, they scrapped a bunch of mocap and voice work when the project was rebooted. They let go of some voice actors and brought in new ones. One example would be Troy replacing Todd Stashwick as Sam. It's possible that they wanted to hire established people to make sure that they didn't have any hiccups in the production because they were having to redo so much stuff in a short timeframe. Both Troy and Laura are very established and have done extremely solid performance capture work, so there would be no need to work them into how its done. They could just jump into the roles with ease.

Agreed.

also 60 FPS

Yeah, I said goddamn out loud lol.

Floody

LOL, gotta say didn't expect people to be arguing about the colour of the VA when I clicked in.
Well, Uncharted 4 is still looking great, and she seems like she'll be a interesting character at least, also really like the hair, probably the best I've seen in a game.

drake, just shoot her already.

LOL, gotta say didn't expect people to be arguing about the colour of the VA when I clicked in.
Well, Uncharted 4 is still looking great, and she seems like she'll be a interesting character at least, also really like the hair, probably the best I've seen in a game.
you know some people's days aren't complete if they aren't offended by something.

and that hair must've been a pain in the ass to create.

Whoa she's hot! Also I deal with racist issues in real life guys, video games is my escapism, plz leave the serious issue talk for a dedicated thread, plz...this trailer and new character seem very intriguing. And seriously who cares who voices her.

Drake looks like he's gonna get into trouble in the one lol

Reebot

Yes mocapping is acting. On a soundstage. Voice acting is acting behind a mic. Thats my point, they're not the same. ND designs their characters to resemble their actors in a stylized way. It's why Elena looks more and more like Emily Rose with every game with advancing tech.

Ok, but why is that relevant here? For whatever reason, its self-evidently not the case; the character looks nothing like Laura Bailey. They started with a design and then casted an actor. For whatever your guess on ND's normal process is worth, it didn't happen this time. Performance and voice capture means the skin color of the actor has no bearing on the performance, so what's the actual, substantive issue?

ND using that secret sauce for them head curls. I knew she was swole the moment she put that flexed arm in his path. I have no doubt this might top the wow factor of graphics like the order did for me..Judging by the survivors, the overlords must be getting their rest. Thought this was going to turn into a graveyard for a sec o_O

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
drake, just shoot her already.

With what gun?! The trailer is actually giving quite a bit away. They seem to be at a party at some person's house who have an item important to the treasure hunt. I think this might be early in the game, considering they're just introducing her, and the crucifix is probably a big kickstarter to find the next big clue.

Also, I'm pretty sure the crucifix is in Nate's notebook in the first gameplay demo.

Ploid 3.0

lol pretty much

http://i.imgur.com/cMWala rect[/IM ][/QUOTE]

The thing is, Druckmann reads gaf. He's seeing all of this crazyness, well he probably peace'd out at the first page.

Half-life thread memories.
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/neilm9u2p.gif

It happens a lot in cartoons, animation, and video games. It's not a big deal as long as the voice actor isn't trying to stereotype the character.

And Vamp!!!! The palest dude ever, well if he really is a vampire.

Vire

The slight dejection and quiver in Nolans voice when speaking about how he was spoken for already was amazing.

Small touch, but you can tell just from the delivery of that line alone that his relationship with Elena is on the rocks.

Because they totally never have black people playing black characters.

Oh wait. Yes they do. The vast majority of the time.
I should have worded that better. When there's a person of color at all I would like for them to voiced by one. Getting different voices into the industry and all that.

I get it. Not really mad or anything it just sucks.

I'm sure there was a black woman among of the tens of millions in the United States that could have, sure. Does Naughty Dog need to make a rehearsal with every single one to find out?
Why not?

Memento

Of course I've played TLoU. Having three black actors in one game isn't some pass on every other game afterwards. I'm not saying ND despises people of colour. I am saying it is a really odd decision with the casting here.

The only overreaction I'm seeing is people saying "stop talking about this" and complaining about the pc police. Don't worry, no one is taking your video games away from you.

So you would rather have a white character (even though it is not the developers vision) for the sake of "matching" the actress and the character skin color? Or vice versa: having a black actress doing the voice work instead of that white one that is not black but her acting fits perfectly with the character the director is aiming for...? Just because... I dont even know your reason tbh.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's really not true at all most of the time with their games. They create characters that somewhat resemble the personality of the actor, but Sully, Ellie, Joel or David, to name a few, don't look anything like their actors. Even Drake and Elena only superficially look like the actors IMO.

He also voiced Vamp in MGS2 and MGS 4, as well as doing Aquaman in Young Justice and Baxter Stockman in the new TMNT.

He's taking so many jobs from white actors...holy shit.

And you know what? Good! He's an amazing voice talent (and I loved him on MadTV), and I'm sure he was the best for those jobs. Just as I trust that Naughty Dogs picked the best voice actor for this particular role.

Can we at least all agree that the this amazon is waifu material?

Dat accent.
Dat ass. (Yes I peeped dat when she came in the room)
Dem toned legs through dem pants. Not too manly, juuuuust right.
Dem toned just right arms.
Dat cutie face.
Dem brown eyes.
Dat "sex me pls" hair!

She is def 3.14 material, folks!

You missed the most attractive part where she can beat your ass.

Top Bottom