• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Kind of surprised ND didn't notice it because everything else has such a meticulous sense of attention to detail.

CVWPCvmU4AAd6SD

The lighting on her left arm is very out of place.

Maybe a light from inside the doorway she came from? Is this a promo pic or a still grabbed from the cinematic?

Reebot

Maybe from a strict realism perspective, but they don't want her backlight. You need the front detail to make it a cool shot. Sacrificing realism for nifty lighting was the right call.

eFKac

Well, if you've seen the picture, you can the same conclusions as if you were watching the video. Dialogue spoilers, I suppose. Depends how much of a blackout you're doing.

Ohh so it's only the scene between them? Fuck I'll give it a shot then, thanks!

Not much blackout really, I want to but I can't help myself when something new releases.

That's why I hoped ND is done with Single Player media before the launch :-/

Sharpeye

She look like she can take both Drake and Sully at the same time.

To be fair Sully looks like a breeze could knock him out, the man is literally to old for this. Hope her second in command is as cool as her though, Uncharted games in the past have had weak second in commands like train guy and Talbot. .

nib95

Banned
Maybe from a strict realism perspective, but they don't want her backlight. You need the front detail to make it a cool shot. Sacrificing realism for nifty lighting was the right call.

It probably is still realistic though. Obviously they've done it for artistic reasons, but she will still have been lit by a real light source, eg shining through the door, or another lamp or light on a wall or table etc. The light source that's lighting her left arm just isn't in the shot is all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kind of surprised ND didn't notice it because everything else has such a meticulous sense of attention to detail.

That's not so unusual. They are using artificially placed hero-lights to highlight the character. Movies do the same thing too. It makes for a much more dynamic and interesting look, even if it's not perfectly correct.

Reebot

They should just hire a director and DP for these games. It's the only piece missing.

How much does Roger Deakins charge these days?

PSY・S;187842450 said:
it'd be super weird watching one of those mocap session videos and seeing her perform as nadine

idk

2d cartoons are one thing but when it's something as realistic as this it doesn't feel right to me
That's quite a double standard but it's a common one. I've held more "realistic" to a higher standard as well.
We don't live in ideal world. Black people and other minorities are at a clear disadvantage because of society at this type of stuff. We just can't go off talent.
Also no one is calling ND racist. Don't know why you bringing that up.
I don't disagree with you at all. But Mocap and VA =/= acting, IMO. It feels more diverse in a weird way because I've seen (in western animation) different races do voice work for other races beyond their own. But I can see that a majority may be white people because I have no stats and that the opportunity was lost there to hire a black female voice actor.

However, there are circumstances that might be beyond cobtrol at play here, I'm not sure with the SAG stuff and other posters saying that ND had to reshoot.

But does that excuse ND. I'm not sure. I'd like to hear their side of the story before I come to any conclusions. And I'd also like for them to hire more diverse mocap/VA actors.

BTW, Complaining =/= censorship.

We don't live in ideal world. Black people and other minorities are at a clear disadvantage because of society at this type of stuff. We just can't go off talent.
Also no one is calling ND racist. Don't know why you bringing that up.

Okay, so you're saying let black people be the only ones allowed to play black people, regardless of talent, but let black people also be allowed to play characters of any other skin color or ethnicity, regardless of the talent of those actors of other ethnicities.

So basically, you're advocating racism, just not toward black people.

I'm 100% with you that black people and other minorities are at a clear disadvantage in the jobs market because of discrimination. It's a sad fact that oftentimes a black person isn't hired for a job he or she is highly qualified for because he or she is black.

But that isn't the case here. This isn't an auto shop in Milwaukee or a sales job in Topeka. I can 100% guarantee you they didn't turn a black actor away because she was black. They just found somebody better.

As you said, you aren't calling ND racist. Meaning you know they picked who they thought best fit the role. But you'd rather they didn't do that, and instead brought in a token black actor just to fill a slot or check off the "black actor" on their list? Or should they just eliminate black characters from the game?

It just seems to me that the way to combat inequality is to combat it where it's actually taking place. But in an industry where black and white and Asian and Hispanic characters are played by black actors, it seems odd to single out the occasion where a black character is played by a white person as somehow insulting.

And as far as being okay with black people playing white people but not being okay with the opposite, I can only say that I can't wrap my head around the idea that the best way to fight racism is by supporting a different brand of racism.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm not calling you racist. Re-reading what I wrote, I realize it sounds harsher than I meant it to. It's insanely late here, I apologize if it came across that way. Any place where it seems I'm accusing you of advocating racism, I'm actually asking for an explanation of your viewpoint, since I'm sharing mine.

But since this thread is derailed enough, I'm going to just close out this tab. We disagree, but we're having a dialogue, and that's what's important. We aren't name calling or anything like that. And I'd honestly love to continue this conversation, either in off topic, or PM me. I'm assuming you're a person of color, and I think I could learn a lot trying to understand how certain things like this are viewed through the eyes of a person who actually has to face the discrimination some of us only read about. But even if you're white, we can continue the debate. Just not here. :)

Okay, so you're saying let black people be the only ones allowed to play black people, regardless of talent, but let black people also be allowed to play characters of any other skin color or ethnicity, regardless of the talent of those actors of other ethnicities.

So basically, you're advocating racism, just not toward black people.

I'm 100% with you that black people and other minorities are at a clear disadvantage in the jobs market because of discrimination. It's a sad fact that oftentimes a black person isn't hired for a job he or she is highly qualified for because he or she is black.

But that isn't the case here. This isn't an auto shop in Milwaukee or a sales job in Topeka. I can 100% guarantee you they didn't turn a black actor away because she was black. They just found somebody better.

As you said, you aren't calling ND racist. Meaning you know they picked who they thought best fit the role. But you'd rather they didn't do that, and instead brought in a token black actor just to fill a slot or check off the "black actor" on their list? Or should they just eliminate black characters from the game?

It just seems to me that the way to combat inequality is to combat it where it's actually taking place. But in an industry where black and white and Asian and Hispanic characters are played by black actors, it seems odd to single out the occasion where a black character is played by a white person as somehow insulting.

And as far as being okay with black people playing white people but not being okay with the opposite, I can only say that I can't wrap my head around the idea that the best way to fight racism is by supporting a different brand of racism.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm not calling you racist. Re-reading what I wrote, I realize it sounds harsher than I meant it to. It's insanely late here, I apologize if it came across that way. Any place where it seems I'm accusing you of advocating racism, I'm actually asking for an explanation of your viewpoint, since I'm sharing mine.

But since this thread is derailed enough, I'm going to just close out this tab. We disagree, but we're having a dialogue, and that's what's important. We aren't name calling or anything like that. And I'd honestly love to continue this conversation, either in off topic, or PM me. I'm assuming you're a person of color, and I think I could learn a lot trying to understand how certain things like this are viewed through the eyes of a person who actually has to face the discrimination some of us only read about. But even if you're white, we can continue the debate. Just not here. :)
Its all good dude.
:)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Performance of the new character in this admittedly brief slice of life sounds really, really weak to me and not particularly natural.

And that's the only thing I took away from this.

Just an opinion I wanted to share as I didn't a chance to quote some responses to my post earlier: reverse discrimination is just as bad.

Best wishes.

post-S

I don't really like the design of the new character. For some reason I feel like it's a crossover character from the last of us universe...

Only on GAF would people be so offended that a white woman is voicing a black character.

Gawd, some of you really need to stop being so damn pc and sensitive over non-issues.

A shame that this thread has dwindled down to some race issue and not the gorgeous trailer we just got.

There he is, Ramza Beoulve himself.

Phil LaMarr is freakin' amazing.

I am assuming Laura Bailey's casting came about the same way Troy Baker's did. Both are superb, versatile actors with a lot of experience with motion-capture, who would be able to easily do whatever was required with the last minute U4 change ups. On the other hand, it's still a real shame a black actress couldn't have had the opportunity to play Nadine. For those saying 'would you be complaining if it was a black actor voicing a white character?', no, because it really, really doesn't happen that frequently. There is no danger of white actors being left cold and starving because all their roles are getting snapped up, there is really no reverse comparison. Considering ND did a great job with the casting of Marlene, Henry, Sam, and Riley in TLOU, it's understandable people are a bit taken back at the casting choice.

It's not that Laura Bailey can't be amazing as Nadine (I'm a huge, huge fan of Bailey's!), it's just the loss of an opportunity that could have benefited someone else, and who could have done an equally good job. Roles for black female characters are extremely limited as is, and it lessens the opportunity again if white actresses are taking them. White-washing characters (especially in the film/television industry) happens at the drop of the a hat, too, so there goes even more roles. There now seems to be a recurring representation of white Europeans ruling Egypt back in the day, I must say! Casting a role that was originally intended to be white with a non-white actor happens extremely rarely. I've been trying to think of positive examples, and Bryan Fuller on Hannibal is one of few showrunners/creators that actively went out of his way to hire a more diverse cast from the source material when possible. What an amazing cast it was!

I do see Phil LaMarr being mentioned over and over again, but he tends to be very, very rare exception (even over Cree Summer and Kevin Michael Richardson), not the rule. I do understand why this happens, too, because if you've got a voice actor there for three hours on a TV show you're going to get them to do as many voices as they're able to, so age, gender, accent, and ethnicity goes out the window as long as you can do a semblance of the voice. Frank Welker and Dee Bradley Baker seem to frequently break the laws of reality, by the way, what in the hell. Doing multiple characters is extremely sensible financially, but it's still a loss of opportunity for an actor that could have really benefited from it, and have done an equally good job with a different perspective. The 'casting = best choice' argument is 50/50, too, as casting sadly often comes down to what is easiest/what will sell. Sometimes the stars align and you get otherwise, but it's often pretty clinical.

I remember seeing a Troy Baker/Delsin/Infamous Second Son mention earlier in this thread, and the user was right, the casting choice should absolutely have been talked about more.

I know the whole situation isn't cut and dry, as ND has a better track record than most companies, and have made an effort with their casting in the past. Regardless, I think it's always an important issue to be aware of in all facets of the entertainment industries. If it was about using an actor with good mo-cap experience, Laura Bailey could have just done the physical mo-cap (like Robin Atkin Downes did for Tenzin in Uncharted 2) with a different actor dubbing in Nadine's dialogue later. That being said, I understand that it sadly adds a lot more money/work if ND is on a tight schedule, let alone the vocal/physical dissonance it can produce if not done right.

To get back to the trailer itself (phew, long-ass post), Nadine as a character looks a-freakin-mazing, though. It was awesome to see her flip a switch between charmingly amicable to utterly terrifying within a second. The physics on her hair is incredible - hell, her hair is just incredible. Let alone her arms-! The cinematography was amazing, too. As people have said, it feels like a real Bond moment between her and Nate. She looks so real, it's insane. The way her eyebrows scrunch her forehead-! Naughty Gods, indeed.

As people have said, I'm a bit worried Nate's going to spend some quality face time with the glass of those big, beautiful windows. Ow.

Kaze2212

I really hope we get some extended footage of this at PSX.

But I am more impressed how good the environment looks than the characters in this, because we already knew how good they looked since E3. If the environment wouldn't be close to the level of the characters it would be really off-putting.

HMD

I really hope we get some extended footage of this at PSX.

But I am more impressed how good the environment looks than the characters in this, because we already knew how good they looked since E3. If the environment wouldn't be close to the level of the characters it would be really off-putting.

I call it the FFXV effect.

Laura Bailey voicing a black woman...wut.

Why could you not get a black woman to voice her?

Should a black woman have a "black sounding" voice? Is this what you are getting at?

What other stereotypes should this character conform to?

This character has an English / south African? accent, if the VO performer can do that and is best at it then its easy to see how she came through the audition.

Or did this character inclusion not tick enough boxes for you to be acceptable?

Donos

Strength and confidence can be attractive. It doesn't even have to be sexual.
but for some men it's more a threat or they can't feel like the guardian in the relationship.
well trained girls can be sexy and i don't mean the "voice and face look like a man" hormone types.

Top Bottom