• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Guys, remember who voiced Samurai Jack?

tumblr_inline_nk1shu17QZ1qfepuq.jpg

It happens a lot in cartoons, animation, and video games. It's not a big deal as long as the voice actor isn't trying to stereotype the character.
But why can't Samurai Jack be black then???

The "Best Fit" is so totes a lie, asian should have played an asian.

farmerboy

As someone mentioned earlier, you have women fighting men in Mortal Kombat where it's way more gory and disturbing. The point is, as fighters, they are presented as equals there - which is the case here as well.

Mortal Kombat is a fantasy game of caricatures.

Still think a full on fight scene with this fidelity will cause a furore.

Because Naughty Dog doesn't have unlimited time nor money and the project has probably had tough times with project leads leaving the company and the game having probably re-writes?
I was being sarcastic to the completely ridiculous assertion that it would be so hard to find someone black to voice this character.

I should have worded that better. When there's a person of color at all I would like for them to voiced by one. Getting different voices into the industry and all that.

But then isn't that racism? It's separating people based on race rather than talent.

I'm all for hating racists and calling them on their bullshit. But this just feels kinda misguided. Especially since there are so many instances of black actors voicing white and Asian (and black) characters.

Why not?

Budgets and time restraints.

Vex_

Banned
You missed the most attractive part where she can beat your ass.

I'd say judging from the trailer, and what we've seen... That just isn't possible. She was wide open with one of her attacks lol.

Let's just stick to her being my waifan :p

Pls marry me amazon!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I was being sarcastic to the completely ridiculous assertion that it would be so hard to find someone black to voice this character.

I see. But I can see some reason that the project did have some rocky production, enough to believe that they had to re-cast some characters, and Laura simply fit the bill the best.

nib95

Banned
That looked incredible. She's a bad ass as well. Really loved the cinematography and the way the scene was lit.

So you would rather have a white character (even though it is not the developers vision) for the sake of "matching" the actress and the character skin color? Or vice versa: having a black actress doing the voice work instead of that white one that is not black but her acting fits perfectly with the character the director is aiming for...? Just because... I dont even know your reason tbh.
I was elucidating the difference between ME and Uncharted's recording process not being just simply voice acting. I'd rather minorities acting for minorities and having more minority roles in general, ftr.

Looks like its about to transition into gameplay. Fisticuffs tutorial, anyone?

Like I said earlier, I hope that the hope the to hand combat is more indepth than U3 or even TLoU. Obviously, i'm not expecting them to make some boxing game out of it, but U3's combat can't happen. Still it should be interesting. Having a grounded combat sequence sounds like the best solution to the boss problem that the Uncharted series has had. No supernatural shit or whatever the hell you'd describe DF's boss fight as.

Memento

Looks like its about to transition into gameplay. Fisticuffs tutorial, anyone?

I am excited to see where ND goes with melee in Uncharted 4. The PSX demo showed us they have already taken many cues from TLOU melee (which is great, bc TLOU melee is much better than Uncharted's), but Uncharted is T-rated so they wont have the freedom they had with TLOU. I am excited to see the evolution in any case.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mortal Kombat is a fantasy game of caricatures.

Still think a full on fight scene with this fidelity will cause a furore.
It's true, characters in MK are human caricatures, but that would mean nothing if there was a power imbalance where the male characters can beat women all the time. The key to this is that you have two willing participants who are each other's equals, and anyone can win.

In fact, I remember people complaining how ND wussied out, and didn't have any fully human women enemies in TLOU (only infected), and how that was unjust and unequal. Mind you, in that game you literally massacre your opponents sometimes. UC is a far less violent game.

To be honest I like the faces better in TLOU. There's something weird about the ones in the video of the OP.
Drake talking to Sam cutscene (from the very first gameplay showing) is better than anything in TLOU though. It's just hard I guess to maintain that level throughout every single instance.

Vex_

Banned
It's true, characters in MK are human caricatures, but that would mean nothing if there was a power imbalance where the male characters can beat women all the time. The key to this is that you have two willing participants who are each other's equals, and anyone can win.

In fact, I remember people complaining how ND wussied out, and didn't have any fully human women enemies in TLOU (only infected), and how that was unjust and unequal. Mind you, in that game you literally massacre your opponents sometimes. UC is a far less violent game.

Yes, and here's the genius of the scene ND set up. IT IS VERY CLEAR that she is capable enough to throw down. So this isn't gonna be a beat down if they make the player win.

Anyone notice her chest scar??????? THATS HAWT!

Rozart

I was going to go on a complete blackout for UC4 but I couldn't help myself.

I am weak. My will is as fragile as Nate and Elena's marriage.

Hollyyyy shiiit though. Does this game look good.

reKon

Banned
PSY・S;187840992 said:
I want to be excited but with LB voicing her I can't stop picturing Rachel Dolezal

Rachel-Dolezal-NAACP-Spokane-1.jpg

god damn this thread is about to reach new level.

oh my goodness GAF LOL

Floody

Kind of surprised ND didn't notice it because everything else has such a meticulous sense of attention to detail.

CVWPCvmU4AAd6SD

The lighting on her left arm is very out of place.

Drake is about to get an ass wooping, even light fears her!

But the moonlight ray from the window does match up with her arm.

Ran rp

it'd be super weird watching one of those mocap session videos and seeing her perform as nadine

idk

2d cartoons are one thing but when it's something as realistic as this it doesn't feel right to me

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Laura Bailey <33

PSY&#12539;S;187842450 said:
it'd be super weird watching one of those mocap session videos and seeing her perform as nadine

idk

2d cartoons are one thing but when it's something as realistic as this it doesn't feel right to me

if all actors only played themselves they'd just be character actors and wouldn't be allowed to utilize their full potential.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of story/spoilery stuff in it?

I want to see Drake getting smacked! :-(

Well, if you've seen the picture, you can the same conclusions as if you were watching the video. Dialogue spoilers, I suppose. Depends how much of a blackout you're doing.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
PSY&#12539;S;187840992 said:
I want to be excited but with LB voicing her I can't stop picturing Rachel Dolezal

Rachel-Dolezal-NAACP-Spokane-1.jpg

Dude, seriously ?

Y'all gotta have controversy with everything.

This is fucking harmless.

Top Bottom