• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

Shin-chan

I hope to god this ships today.

Can people in the UK keep me in the loop through PMs of whether their copy ships and where it was ordered from?

I'll do the same if anyone says they want me to.

I spoiled a bunch of stuff for myself by watching videos. I'm still alive and looking forward to the game even more. Am I weird?

...Or have fears over spoilers gotten out of hand. Knowledge of individual events or specific details of something or other or a characer doesn't matter -- knowing that something does or does not happen to x y z character won't change your enjoyment of the experience. Surprise is one component of storytelling. Reading pre release fervor it seems like everyone misunderstands the surprise element, again perhaps the smallest component of the overall package of storytelling, as the be all end of all and that somehow knowing that Drake and co. go to the x location somehow blunts the overall impact of the game. I disagree. It is and has always been about how you get there.

kyser73

As someone who thinks the Rhub al-Khali chapter in UC3 is both an amazing artistic risk and one of the best storyline chapters in any game, I'm cheered by the comments about the pacing.

aravuus

I spoiled a bunch of stuff for myself by watching videos. I'm still alive and looking forward to the game even more. Am I weird?

...Or have fears over spoilers gotten out of hand. Knowledge of individual events or specific details of something or other or a characer doesn't matter -- knowing that something does or does not happen to x y z character won't change your enjoyment of the experience. Surprise is one component of storytelling. Reading pre release fervor it seems like everyone misunderstands the surprise element, again perhaps the smallest component of the overall package of storytelling, as the be all end of all and that somehow knowing that Drake and co. go to the x location somehow blunts the overall impact of the game. I disagree. It is and has always been about how you get there.

Or maybe that's just you. Some people are fine with the whole story spoiled for them, some people don't want to know anything about it beforehand. Nothing wrong with thinking either way.

I don't like meaningless collectibles, I like reasons to explore other than unclimbable geometry.

I will say that the game finally got to some good open world exploration level design at chapter

But Jesus at the pacing in this game. It's been 2 hours and 1.5 chapters since I've seen any enemies or guns. Just hopping around listening to banter. No combat.

Sounds great.

bbalde

Or maybe that's just you. Some people are fine with the whole story spoiled for them, some people don't want to know anything about it beforehand. Nothing wrong with thinking either way.
Correct, last thing I care about in videogames is the story. Give me a good gameplay and a silly reason to kill a bunch of people :D

Besides, I can only watch videos or pictures in low res (shitty internet where I stay), so I'm not ruining anything. The wow factor will be on my TV :)

tzare

Beat the game... ND's best yet.

This whole experience was a testament to what video games as a medium is capable of delivering. No other form of entertainment would have been able to replicate what i just experienced, and you know what? The thought of that BLOWS my fucking mind. Basically, this game is really good guys.

The crazy part about playing A Thief's End, is that, even if it was WITHOUT kick-ass graphics, it would not have diminished my enjoyment one bit. If the game looked like a PS3 game, it would continue to sit as one of my all time favorites. The marriage of story, gameplay, performance, sound my GOD the sound mixing and level design was just perfect. But holy shit guys, this game not only manage the "game" part REALLY fucking well, a benchmark in its genre, much like MGSV... the graphics are the best you will see yet out of video games, console or PC, PERIOD. I game in 4k on PC and part of me can't comprehend how the hell the image quality is so clean, coming out of this PS4.

No complaints aside that starting on hard, like i previously mentioned, forced me to change my usual UC playstyle.
There were also minor performance dips when there was a lot of smoke. But all this is really negligible stuf.

I've had a few "next gen" moments this gen, but this game was on a completely different level. Can't wait until more of you get your copies in. This game was worth the wait guys.

looks that i'd better play my backlog first before U4, since its visuals may spoil the rest of the games i already own

I read a comment a few pages back that Hard Mode has bullshit like difficulty spikes, thereby nullifying turn use of rope swings. Anybody want to double down on this or is it just that he/she needs to gitgud? I always play Uncharted at Hard Mode by default, which tends to be the most balanced difficulty.

This game is fucking hype. The graphics the fucking graphics. Oh my lord. and the gunplay is smooth. Just got to Chapter 8 but I'm gonna call it a day.

I read a comment a few pages back that Hard Mode has bullshit like difficulty spikes, thereby nullifying turn use of rope swings. Anybody want to double down on this or is it just that he/she needs to gitgud? I always play Uncharted at Hard Mode by default, which tends to be the most balanced difficulty.
Just finished hard mode.

If you're in an all out gunfight yeah, you're getting LIT up if you want to literally rope swing into an area full of enemies but you can definitely mix it up with stealth and guns blazing while making use of all the mechanics and feeling like a proper badass on hard mode.

You're always going to be scrambling and on the move. No such thing as solid cover in this game, if the cover doesn't crumble the enemies are flanking your ass.

In short, git gud

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just played through the intro and I can tell I'm in for one hell of a game.

Intro section was graphically sublime and real dope. I liked it better than TLOU's, which didn't hit me hard emotionally due to its predictability.

Its 5AM here, so Im gonna sleep.

Varth

Did anyone notice melee system changes? Plays "funny" somehow, but I cannot put my finger on why. Wasn't there some sort of dodge in U3? Also, I loved the enviroment interactions in brawls, but didn't notice them in important fights so far. Are they gone?

My Special Edition pre-order has shipped, so hopefully it will be arriving later today or tomorrow, which will be handy as I'm off work this weekend.

Anywhere in the UK shipping right now? Want to order from SimplyGames (had to cancel pre-order from there originally) or TheGameCollection if they ship today, but have to do it by 3pm. Any of those going today?

SomTervo

To each their own. I know someone who only watches films or reads books if they can read the entire plot on Wikipedia beforehand. It means they enjoy the craft and the pace of it rather than hanging on plot beats. (It also means they can't miss anything and don't need to be concentrating to pick up all the details.)

TBH, spoilers are only truly a problem when it's a big twist or a blindsiding event. Something you really wouldn't expect that is really clever. That's why they became an issue in the first place: a character betrayal or death that you didn't expect being ruined for you - the surprise/reveal being part of the thrill.

If it's not that level of spoiler, then yeah, I think things being spoiled isn't too bad at all. Sometimes it can be a good thing. Let's you just appreciate how things were made and executed.

Also, obligatory Manny

image.php

idonteven

at a certain point in the game the graphics go from really good to wtf how is this even possible ? i think everyone knows what part im talking about that has played the game :p not even seen that magic on pc

Daffy Duck

at a certain point in the game the graphics go from really good to wtf how is this even possible ? i think everyone knows what part im talking about that has played the game :p not even seen that magic on pc

SzVydmU.gif

I still haven't completed Uncharted 3, and I refuse to buy this until I have, but god damn I don't think I can hold out. Especially when it's on the shelves.

Yeah, I have so many pictures. I can't stop taking pictures. I cannot tell you how many times I was like "how is this possible!!!" And then an hour later something comes that blows away what I just saw.

The Lamp

Does not seem like it going by Koatku review.

No, he's right. I went over 2 hours without an enemy encounter. Then there was climactic stuff and now at least another hour and still no combat again.

People who like platforming and exploitation are gonna love these long stretches.

noomi

An unrelated question.... but how are you guys getting the game-time played stats?

As far as I know the PS4 doesn't offer any information on how much time you spend with a game...

idonteven

Does using photo mode makes the picture quality better?
e.g. better anti-aliasing, texture quality, shadow quality?

Or is it the same as you share a picture during gameplay?

stays the same as far as i can see...maybe a little upgrade in aa and picture quality but not much

An unrelated question.... but how are you guys getting the game-time played stats?

As far as I know the PS4 doesn't offer any information on how much time you spend with a game..
the game itself counts it

The Lamp

Does using photo mode makes the picture quality better?
e.g. better anti-aliasing, texture quality, shadow quality?

Or is it the same as you share a picture during gameplay?

It has an auto-sharpening filter that sharpens the pics a little bit but you can adjust/turn it off.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
In my experience I usually get shipping information on Monday for Tuesday releases. They've never missed a release day delivery for me.
Same for me, I've never had an expected ship date the week before, though. Hopefully they actually ship it today, I might get it Monday.

Top Bottom