• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

sikkinixx

I'm only 90 minutes in but the acting, especially in Nate's home, is exceptionally done. All the little quips, facial movements and looks are simply perfect. I can see why some reviewers are complaining about the slow start but I find it outstanding.

benzy

Does using photo mode makes the picture quality better?
e.g. better anti-aliasing, texture quality, shadow quality?

Or is it the same as you share a picture during gameplay?

Comparing screenshots the image quality definitely looks better in photomode, but I'm guessing it's still in-game. Looks similar but more precise to FFXV demo AA where it gets better when you pause the game or have very little movement.

You notice some smudgy and dithering artifacts on the grass and character faces here which isn't found in photomode shots. I'm guessing the AA isn't able to keep up with fast jerky movements, notice the clarity difference on characters.

pics from nib & slasher
Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160506053654.png~original

vs.

TwPb.png

Z3M0G

No, he's right. I went over 2 hours without an enemy encounter. Then there was climactic stuff and now at least another hour and still no combat again.

People who like platforming and exploitation are gonna love these long stretches.

This sounds fantastic

You don't go that long (2hrs) without a combat encounter unless your really exploring.

I finished my game in 12:50 on normal with a decent amount of exploration and I don't recall a stretch like that.

Tbh, the way the levels are designed, if you play it as an old UC games (point A to B with minimal exploration) which the game is designed for, you could probably shave 3 hours off my run.

Leatherface

Beat the game... ND's best yet.

This whole experience was a testament to what video games as a medium is capable of delivering. No other form of entertainment would have been able to replicate what i just experienced, and you know what? The thought of that BLOWS my fucking mind. Basically, this game is really good guys.

The crazy part about playing A Thief's End, is that, even if it was WITHOUT kick-ass graphics, it would not have diminished my enjoyment one bit. If the game looked like a PS3 game, it would continue to sit as one of my all time favorites. The marriage of story, gameplay, performance, sound my GOD the sound mixing and level design was just perfect. But holy shit guys, this game not only manage the "game" part REALLY fucking well, a benchmark in its genre, much like MGSV... the graphics are the best you will see yet out of video games, console or PC, PERIOD. I game in 4k on PC and part of me can't comprehend how the hell the image quality is so clean, coming out of this PS4.

No complaints aside that starting on hard, like i previously mentioned, forced me to change my usual UC playstyle.
There were also minor performance dips when there was a lot of smoke. But all this is really negligible stuf.

I've had a few "next gen" moments this gen, but this game was on a completely different level. Can't wait until more of you get your copies in. This game was worth the wait guys.

Thanks for this. My hype levels are on fire right now. haha
Can't wait!

edit: aaaaand pre-ordered. :p

You don't go that long (2hrs) without a combat encounter unless your really exploring.

I finished my game in 12:50 on normal with a decent amount of exploration and I don't recall a stretch like that.

Tbh, the way the levels are designed, if you play it as an old UC games (point A to B with minimal exploration) which the game is designed for, you could probably shave 3 hours off my run.

Is the exploration rewarding? Seeing the Madagascar footage, the area where you're in the jeep looked huge but pretty barren.

Slixshot

Banned
when the store at 200mt from your home sells it, but you have the special edition preordered on amazon

sad1.gif

I gotta say, your avatar is amazing.

Also, it's great to see that this game is living up to the hype. Not only critically, but from the people who got their mitts on it early.

Is the exploration rewarding? Seeing the Madagascar footage, the area where you're in the jeep looked huge but pretty barren.

It depends on what you feel is rewarding. Lamp was expecting something akin to TLOU, which is understandable as the game doesn't have resources and bits laying around to collect.

For me, it was definitely rewarding though. You find treasure, notes laying around to read and most importantly, lots of banter and conversation between the characters. Really, I could've done without the first too and just explored to see the sights and listen to these characters I love talk.

But this is something obviously that's up to what the individual believes is a good reward for exploration.

AKyemeni

Man, the more I think about the story the angrier I get. There's just some baffling decisions that I simply don't agree with or that could have been done much better. Man, I still wish Hennig was on board.

Few questions for those who played the game.

Is there a jetpack upgrade?
Do your decisions have an impact on Uncharted 5?
Is the framerate smoother with the 4 MB memory Expansion Pak?

Man, the more I think about the story the angrier I get. There's just some baffling decisions that I simply don't agree with or that could have been done much better. Man, I still wish Hennig was on board.

Seems like you're in the minority opinion with story. For you to say it's on par with Golden Abyss is laughable and quite frankly, Golden Abyss was straight trash. I'll see for myself but come on breh Golden Abyss?? GOLDEN ABYSS? You buggin lol

It depends on what you feel is rewarding. Lamp was expecting something akin to TLOU, which is understandable as the game doesn't have resources and bits laying around to collect.

For me, it was definitely rewarding though. You find treasure, notes laying around to read and most importantly, lots of banter and conversation between the characters. Really, I could've done without the first too and just explored to see the sights and listen to these characters I love talk.

But this is something obviously that's up to what the individual believes is a good reward for exploration.

I guess. I guess some people equate exploring with finding a bunch of collecitbles and stuff to increase your XP bar. I felt like the exploration in ROTR a joke. It just felt like they put a bunch of crap and threw it all over the place. every damn room or corner had obvious things to grab.

AKyemeni

Seems like you're in the minority opinion with story. For you to say it's on par with Golden Abyss is laughable and quite frankly, Golden Abyss was straight trash. I'll see for myself but come on breh Golden Abyss?? GOLDEN ABYSS? You buggin lol
On part with with Golden Abyss? Yeah you right. It's ridiculous.

Golden Abyss's story is better than UC4.

nib95

Banned

You and I have wildly differing taste. Most people regard Uncharted 3's story as among the worst, yet it's your favourite out of all the ND shooters, and you want the person responsible to be behind UC4? Nah. I don't believe Hennig is quite as capable of the same kind of character and narrative nuance or sophistication as Druckmann, at least evidenced by UC2, LoU and UC4 vs UC3 and UC1. I haven't completed UC4 yet, but so far I think the narrative delivery and writing has been nigh on impeccable. It's a lot more emotive and mature than the other games, and has more character depth as well. UC3's in contrast was just too much of a mish mash, with characters that simply weren't properly fleshed out, and story points that either fell flat or just weren't as well explained or realised.

Shopto
We have just been advised by SONY that they have placed a shipping restriction on Uncharted 4 for all retailers, these will now be shipped on Monday the 9th. This should not affect delivery of the item for release but some delays can occur within the postal service on rare occasions.

Really Sony? REALLY?

Copies leak out and spoilers are all over the internet so what do they do, force the rest of us who are trying to avoid them to wait till the day or day after to get the game. The post sucks in my small town so I won't be playing it till late Weds 11th.

They already delayed it a month, I am salty as hell.

nib95

Banned
Shopto

Really Sony? REALLY?

Copies leak out and spoilers are all over the internet so what do they do, force the rest of us who are trying to avoid them to wait till the day or day after to get the game. The post sucks in my small town so I won't be playing it till late Weds 11th.

They already delayed it a month, I am salty as hell.

My TheGameCollection order shipped earlier today.

I guess. I guess some people equate exploring with finding a bunch of collecitbles and stuff to increase your XP bar. I felt like the exploration in ROTR a joke. It just felt like they put a bunch of crap and threw it all over the place. every damn room or corner had obvious things to grab.

I agree completely. I never felt that way and I didn't even conduct TLOUs exploration for that reason. I explored in TLOU for the conversations between Joel and Ellie and the stories laying around.

The best way I can describe the exploration segments, they are like far larger versions of Left Behind. This totally feels like an uncharted TLOU baby.

B00TE

C'mon amazon, ship my copy. You can do it

Lol. I'm checking my order page every 10 minutes. Doit.gif

In the same boat, expected to ship today but I have my doubts. Preordered Bravely Second off Amazon and that didn't ship till Monday, though that did get in the next day for release. The sad part is that even if it comes in Monday, I'll be taking finals all day. But damn, would that be amazing to come home to.

Been lurking in here a lot since the thread went up, the hype is real. Loved UC1 and 2 (especially 2, I hardly play games all the way through in one sitting but I powered through 2 in a day) but I just did not care about UC3 when it launched, outside of the co-op which I played a ton of with my brother.

Found some weapons that were hidden, too.

If Amazon ships today I'll get the game by Sunday, because of Prime(yea I get Sunday deliveries). So I doubt they're shipping today, I've never had a pre-order early from them.

nib95

Banned
Two bits of advice to those starting this game up for the first time. Firstly, it seems obvious enough, but avoid playing this whilst you're tired. Early on the game is very exposition heavy, so if you're not fully aware, boredom could set in. Take your time, appreciate all the little details, environments, vistas, character nuances, animations, banter etc. Rushing through you'll get far less out of it. Certain things I'm picking up even now, like for example I only just noticed that weapons actually get dirty and muddy the more you use them, or the more you roll around in dirt or mud. Drake also has different idle animations depending on where you are, what he's wearing etc.

Secondly, unless you're exceptionally skilled at the game, I'd actually start on Normal/Moderate. It will still pose a bit of a challenge, but will offer enough leeway that you can learn and test the different mechanics better, and have more freedom to experiment with different strategies too, e.g. using the rope swing a lot, or going guns blazing etc. Add to that, if you're dying less the first time around, you can better enjoy the pacing, overall flow of combat and narrative progression.

The harder the difficulty this time around, the more enemies are actually introduced during combat, and the better equipped they are too. This is unlike other Uncharted games, so in this sense the differences between the difficulties is a bit more tangible. Might as well save the harder difficulty for the second play through.

I'm worried by all the pacing and 2 hours w/o combat talk. It was my one critique of TLOU and definitely Left Behind DLC. Lots of sight seeing that may be fine the first time through but makes it tougher on repeated playthroughs.

AKyemeni

I'm worried by all the pacing and 2 hours w/o combat talk. It was my one critique of TLOU and definitely Left Behind DLC. Lots of sight seeing that may be fine the first time through but makes it tougher on repeated playthroughs.

There's lots of Left Behind inspired stuff in the game. I didn't like Left Behind to begin with, so maybe that hampered my experience of UC4.

To tell you the truth, I was rolling my eyes a bunch during the campaign.

The Lamp

So...is it better than TLOU? Because that was GOTG for me.

Nearing the end and I think overall I liked TLOU better, and this game hasn't upheaved my fondness for U2 on the Uncharted throne, but I haven't assembled my final thoughts yet. It's really going to depend on the person. The pacing isn't as good IMO as TLOU, but that's really going to depend on how much you like lengthy exploration. I am missing more combat scenes because the gun combat this time is so good.

Also, I'm finishing tonight, so if anyone wants to buy my copy from me tomorrow for a fair price, let me know. I can ship it or you can meet me in Dallas/Fort Worth or my friend in Houston tomorrow. I have a Libertalia edition coming in and I don't want 2 game copies lol.

Top Bottom