• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

Man the best way to get replied to is to say UC4 is the worst game in the franchise. It's true what they say about what people respond to the most. Controversy.

fastmower

people highly regard past uncharted stories?
YAUDY8.gif

maaan what am I reading? the gameplay alone makes UC4 ND's best game

Exactly...I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

So far I just finished chapter 11 and yeah, I think Uncharted Drake's fortune is way better gameplay wise. The way enemies go flying when you shot them with the pistol... Plus the area is too big in UC4, I don't have time to drive I just want to shoot shoot shoot.

Dominator

So far I just finished chapter 11 and yeah, I think Uncharted Drake's fortune is way better gameplay wise. The way enemies go flying when you shot them with the pistol... Plus the area is too big in UC4, I don't have time to drive I just want to shoot shoot shoot.
Nice try mate.

sikkinixx

I'm about 2/3s through and very much enjoying the game. I find it's a much more mature version of Uncharted so I can see why people who liked the more pulpy, 'goofy' Uncharted of the past might criticize the tone of the game. It still has the *best* banter in video games, has some solid set pieces that are more grounded while still being crazy (though I always wonder how buildings etc collapsing in cities fail to attract ANY attention from locals). Less "OMG DRAKE BARELY MADE IT BUT SOMEONE GRABBED HIM!" than previous games, less "OMG DRAKE FELL FROM 50 FEET ONTO SOLID ROCK BUT IS TOTS OK!", hell at one point he even struggles to climb up rocks which is cool.

Little touches like enemies getting a chance to fuck you over when you think they are dead (I won't spoil the specifics) are really outstanding as are the multiple paths to the same destination, even when crawling through little caves etc. Acting is top notch as expected.

I am curious about replay value as there are looooong stretches of exploring/puzzles/story between the killin' so it would have been cool to have a straight up "skip-to-encounters" mode if you really just want action for the second go through.

sikkinixx

It does if I understand correctly.

You can do that. It's called "Encounter Select".

5GB

Well then I'll just shut my big mouth.

I am playing through U3 right now and anyone who compliments this game's gameplay are out of their fucking mind. I have uploaded two videos of me shooting dudes in the face without it the shots registering. The set pieces and characters are awesome though.

PS4 edition? I played it last month and felt it had the best feeling gameplay of the collection. I was headshotting dudes left and right. It's actually the biggest change for U4 as the guns feel REALLY inaccurate by comparision.

MP is still not available yet? Also what is taking them so long to upload the trophies to the servers. Games like Zero Escape which is not due in like a month already has them on the servers.

antitrop

PS4 edition? I played it last month and felt it had the best feeling gameplay of the collection. I was headshotting dudes left and right. It's actually the biggest change for U4 as the guns feel REALLY inaccurate by comparision.
I recorded a quick clip of what he was talking about while I was playing through the game on Friday: https://twitter.com/antitrop/status/728698535944708097

Ya, I'm shooting him in the arm, not the head, but that shit ain't registering.

I am playing through U3 right now and anyone who compliments this game's gameplay are out of their fucking mind. I have uploaded two videos of me shooting dudes in the face without it the shots registering. The set pieces and characters are awesome though.
I recorded a quick clip of what he was talking about while I was playing through the game on Friday: https://twitter.com/antitrop/status/728698535944708097

Here's my upload.

https://youtu.be/9N5eQ84Eg_I

I had a lot more footage from the well area with the smoke grenade but while editing, I accidentally hit overwrite rather than save as new.

Roussow

How essential is the day one patch? I'd prefer to just start the game and download it in the background for a few hours rather than waiting on it initially.

So here is my thought process on why I like uncharted 2 more. Yes gameplay is better in 4, gameplay enhancements alone don't make for a better game. MGSV has the best gameplay, most won't say that's the best MGS game. Gameplay to me is not just mechanics, it is how you use them. And when U4 uses them it's pretty damn great but there is so much down time where you the player is basically doing nothing much other than moving forward and just looking around places.

This is an action game, therefore action should be the focus. An action game where half of the game is not action hurts the product. Is it good for story, sure but I'm not going to play this game over and over for story, I play it for the encounters, for the thrill of combat. I am not against downtime and story focused moments. The village scene in U2 was perfect in its timing. The giraffe in TLOU, again perfect. But in this game downtime happend after nearly every gun fight. The whole game was action, stop, action, stop, action, stop. If the stuff outside the gunplay was compelling from a gameplay perspective then fine but the platforming is still mostly automatic, puzzles mostly easy, and exploration just a way to get you to collect random treasures and notes. I like all that stuff when balanced well, I just don't think it was balanced that well in uncharted 4.

Everything else is a HUGE positive. Story, graphics, gunplay, encounter maps, when they had a big setpiece it was great.

Most if not all of your bullets are hitting the wooden flooring he's leaning down from.

It's a third person shooter, so your reticule isn't centered with the hitscans origin, therefore your character can't see something you can (your perspective is different to drakes) then he can't hit it, and it would be broken if it didn't work that way.

So here is my thought process on why I like uncharted 2 more. Yes gameplay is better in 4, gameplay enhancements alone don't make for a better game. MGSV has the best gameplay, most won't say that's the best MGS game. Gameplay to me is not just mechanics, it is how you use them. And when U4 uses them it's pretty damn great but there is so much down time where you the player is basically doing nothing much other than moving forward and just looking around places.

This is an action game, therefore action should be the focus. An action game where half of the game is not action hurts the product. Is it good for story, sure but I'm not going to play this game over and over for story, I play it for the encounters, for the thrill of combat. I am not against downtime and story focused moments. The village scene in U2 was perfect in its timing. The giraffe in TLOU, again perfect. But in this game downtime happend after nearly every gun fight. The whole game was action, stop, action, stop, action, stop. If the stuff outside the gunplay was compelling from a gameplay perspective then fine but the platforming is still mostly automatic, puzzles mostly easy, and exploration just a way to get you to collect random treasures and notes. I like all that stuff when balanced well, I just don't think it was balanced that well in uncharted 4.

Everything else is a HUGE positive. Story, graphics, gunplay, encounter maps, when they had a big setpiece it was great.

Sure it hurts the product if your measuring it solely as an 'action game' or 'third person shooter', but if we step outside that arbitrary framework it's a better game overall, a game that has more variety, tells a better story, features better hit detection, better AI, better level design. It's a better 'action adventure' game, if you need the labels.

It's true that things like the puzzles do not have a win / lose condition, and the platforming mostly too, but I don't think everyone needs the difficulty to enjoy those components of the game. If the puzzle were super challenging, they would be frustrating, progression stoppers for many, as they stand however, they're challenging enough to at least make you pause and think a little, but at the same time easy enough to keep the games pacing moving fluidly.

I think your opinion is fine, you want more gunplay and that's fair enough, but I don't think the game is objectively worse without it. It's just a personal preference thing and I doubt many people are going to see it as 'hurting the product'. It almost seems as though you've gone into the experience with too many ideas of how you wanted it to play out, and obviously you're a little disappointed when it doesn't match, for better or worse.

The action that's there, would you say it's equivalent in time played to previous entries? I don't expect you to positively know this off hand, but having more down time with about the same amount of action as before will never be a bad thing for me. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who wished for more nooks and pathways and openness during exploration.

But I'd see your point if it was considerably less action than in the past.

Def more downtime in UC 4 then the others, but for me this is an action adventure series, so for me it's perfect really but can see why action folks might think there is too much down time.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just played the E3 2015 demo section. HOLY FUCKING CHRIST.
ND just showing off, fucking mindblowing... Never watched the full demo when they released it. Going in blind to that whole section was fucking nuts. my jaw was on the floor the entire time.

Def more downtime in UC 4 then the others, but for me this is an action adventure series, so for me it's perfect really but can see why action folks might think there is too much down time.

even then...the combat in UC4 >>> UC2. Like if you can play UC2 after UC4 and still think that action is better, with those mechanics/sound design/animations/controls...more power to ya brotha, but you clearly playing these games for another reason than me.

kyser73

Is David really a villain though or just a survivor with disgusting interests that became an antagonist through chance?

I pretty much label anyone who is into kids a villain, and I'd say it's pretty unlikely that this was a predilection he developed post-virus.

even then...the combat in UC4 >>> UC2. Like if you can play UC2 after UC4 and still think that action is better, with those mechanics/sound design/animations/controls...more power to ya brotha, but you clearly playing these games for another reason than me.

I don't personally. I've just finished 2 and started 3. The action doesn't hold a candle, hell none of the gameplay does in 1 thru 3 in comparison to 4.

HeelPower

ummm This can only be good in my book.

I welcome more downtime and varied acitivities such as exploration and puzzles..

Unless "downtime" means anything tantamount to "Forced walking", "Forced scripted shallow interactions for extended periods of time".

I am hopeful this game does better than relive these gen 7 game design artifacts.

I welcome more downtime and varied acitivities such as exploration and puzzles..

Unless "downtime" means anything tantamount to "Forced walking", "Forced scripted shallow interactions for extended periods of time".

I am hopeful this game does better than relive these gen 7 game design artifacts.

arent you looking forward to FF15

Nah there's none of that forced walking moments. There's lots of "other" things going on that help push the story forward. Then there's the outside in a big area with someone but you're not quite fighting gameplay. Mostly exploration, puzzles, climbing around and stuff. There's gameplay sprinkled into those moments. Then there's all out action moments which end and then it's back to story moments, exploration/puzzle/stuff with some action here and there. There's nothing like TO 1886 where a chapter is hold forward to watch drake walk and talk.

Yeah I think uncharted 4 will be regarded the worst one in time, you guys are just hyped at the minute at the visuals and the first time play through, hype will die down and turn to hate pretty soon, I'm nearly finished 4 and I've had tons more fun with uncharted 1,2 and 3.

Multiple replays won't be to fun.

All that climbing.

It's still a good game, but this isn't uncharted.

HeelPower

arent you looking forward to FF15

FF15 will be open world?

Nah there's none of that forced walking moments. There's lots of "other" things going on that help push the story forward. Then there's the outside in a big area with someone but you're not quite fighting gameplay. Mostly exploration, puzzles, climbing around and stuff. There's gameplay sprinkled into those moments. Then there's all out action moments which end and then it's back to story moments, exploration/puzzle/stuff with some action here and there. There's nothing like TO 1886 where a chapter is hold forward to watch drake walk and talk.

That sounds...fantastic!

Saberus

Yeah I think uncharted 4 will be regarded the worst one in time, you guys are just hyped at the minute at the visuals and the first time play through, hype will die down and turn to hate pretty soon, I'm nearly finished 4 and I've had tons more fun with uncharted 1,2 and 3.

All that climbing.

Twut?

I see.. lol

image.php

Memento

All that climbing.

Ok.

ViciousDS

Banned

All that climbing.

Nope...this is uncharted.......and much improved, the fact that the gun fights are more down to earth, not wave based with a good amount of down time between encounters makes this my favorite. I love the climbing and great deal of breaks between the action. Also wtf at that music and story rating......this games story is my favorite so far and there is one very, very beautiful scene that the music hits dead on was absolutely beautiful.

This uncharted will be the one I replay.....sorry. UC2 is over for me outside of maybe watching someone else enjoy it first time through. This is my definitive uncharted game hands down

Haha this is sounding like the new Radiohead album, lots of brilliance there but there's still people that want the old "Rock" back. Time to evolve I guess.

I've played UC2 a gazillion times. I don't think I'll ever go back to it unless I just feel like it. Everytime a new UC comes out, I rarely go back to the older one. When UC3 came out, I played it the most since it was new. Plus, MP is what I'll be playing forever until it dies out and a new ND game spiritually takes care of UC.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is my definitive uncharted game hands down
While playing the game I just felt they took every criticism I had in the past of the series and addressed it in the game.

There might be things I'm missing or will come up after thinking about it more but after UC3, if it had to be another Uncharted, it's this one.

The Lamp

All that climbing.

I relate to this post a lot and am almost tempted to agree, but it is Uncharted lol

All that climbing.

They're really the last of them huh?

ViciousDS

Banned
While playing the game I just felt they took every criticism I had in the past of the series and addressed it in the game.

There might be things I'm missing or will come up after thinking about it more but after UC3, if it had to be another Uncharted it's this one.

Exactly it may not hit the highs that 2 had. But it keeps the bar overall steadily higher. There wsnt a dull moment or a moment that felt wasted. The gameplay improvements are fantastic and the game plays like a dream. The story is great and solid. I don't think you could finish the series off a better way.

Btw if anyone really wants to know

I found an area that drops to the lower 20's in frame rate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay lol

Just completed the game, I'm thinking it's my favorite, the gameplay is just so much better, the climbing felt less automatic.

I also love the way the story was done, it lacked some things I wasn't a huge fan of in the previous games.

I'll be replaying it with filters and modifiers now, really looking forward to it. This is something I've never done with an uncharted game, I was always kind of frustrated with the last gameplay parts of those games and didn't feel like having to relive it.

This really isn't Uncharted tbh

-Interesting story
-rich characters
-amazing gunplay
-great endgame and bossfight
-awesome encounter design
-automatic platforming but still somehow engaging.

what the fuck druckmann and straley really strayed from the roots.

Top Bottom