• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanspartan

You say you understand "coding to the metal," but it seems that you don't. I am confused.

I think I just underestimated how important it is. I always thought it could be the difference between 30fps and 60 for instance, or something to that effect.

I didn't know it could do.....that.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You must be really smart.
/s

Look at my post history. I have no trouble addressing people directly. I replied to another person's post about a similar grievance. If I had taken issue with your post, I would have mentioned or quoted you. So yeah, your mistake.
You two, go find a room or take it to PM.

Man, maybe it actually is real time. I mean this is what a freaking PS3 game can look like in real time in a similar controlled environment:

With 5-10x more rendering power available this trailer might just be possible in real time. Jesus.

Man i forgot how good beyond looks and yeah with 10 times more power along with other new tech it really does look possible.
If this game was 30fps i think most people would think it possible but 60 fps threw off everyone one can't wait to see how ND does .

meanspartan

I wish I could explain it to you in technical terms, but I'm nowhere near that type of level in my schooling yet. I'll look some stuff up and read into it, but it's just the way it's always been. When you design the hardware you can really muster some amazing things, especially when you are creating a product that you know the absolute environment and specifications. When programmers make games on the PC, or even another console they must take into account multiple variables and different environments. When you design for your own console, you just cut all the bullshit out of the way that a normal PC developer would have to deal with, you have all the ranges of the system the game will be designed for with no possibility of variation. At least this is what I have inferred.

Thanks!

I'll read up on it some more too for fun. Guess it is a much bigger deal than I thought.

John_B

The jump in character model detail is pretty good, the jump in animation is huge. Compare it to stiff face Aiden from Watch Dogs, or even that CGI character speaking at the beginning in the Rise of the Tomb Raider trailer.

Digital characters will really start to come alive with animation tech of this caliber. Your mind does not have to imagine how the characters feel, you just have to look at their facial expression.

cngai

Watch Dogs

The Order: 1886

Infamous: Second Son

Not really that unbelievable.

Infamous: Second Son

q40257infamousr86.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
My PC isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but it does manage to allow me to see some pretty sights powered by my Radeon 7850 2gb card.

When the Ps4 was announced, people said it was roughly comparable in GPU muscle to a 7850.

There is no fucking way my card which is supposedly around the same power level as my Ps4 can make anything look that good. No. Fucking. Way. So can someone please explain how the Ps4 can do that but my GPU can't? I understand "Coding to the metal" allows developers to focus on one particular type of hardware and maximize it, but I don't think that alone explains the difference here between the GPU in the Ps4 and the one in my 7850, both of which supposedly do around 1.8 TFLOPS.
Please understand...

vum.png

Your HD 7850 will never archive the peak of what PS4 will archive... start to thing that PS4 GPU will performance like a HD 7870 or even better.

JawzPause

When the trailer was first released all i saw were people denying that it was in game footage even when developers and others confirmed it. Naughty dog are the gods in gaming and that's why it didn't surprise me in the slightest that this was running on a ps4.
What did surprise me however was that this was running at 1080p/60fps.
Holy Fuck.

meanspartan

Please understand...

vum.png

Your HD 7850 will never archive the peak of what PS4 will archive... start to thing that PS4 GPU will performance like a HD 7870 or even better.

Ya I'm gettin that....except this looks like even more than merely 2x.

I honestly watched that trailer and thought it was CG. Until I saw the OP, no way did i think that was in-engine.

The jump in character model detail is pretty good, the jump in animation is huge. Compare it to stiff face Aiden from Watch Dogs, or even that CGI character speaking at the beginning in the Rise of the Tomb Raider trailer.

Digital characters will really start to come alive with animation tech of this caliber. Your mind does not have to imagine how the characters feel, you just have to look at their facial expression.

This!

Remember, they had to really cramp down on animation size in The Last of Us due to the limited memory pool. I will go back to the documentary, but I think I remember hearing that all of the possible animations had to fit in a 3-5 MB memory space.

I can't imagine the shit they will be able to pull off now that they have around 5-6 GB of memory at their disposal. It's almost at the time where artists won't need to design their animations with tech limitations in mind. We will soon have full animations with all the intended frames, providing some of the smoothest most realistic animations we have ever seen in gaming.

I wouldn't be surprised if ND were capable of this before but I have to wonder how much Corrine Yu being part of the team has helped them achieve this level of detail at 1080p60.

Will other first party games reach this level down the road as well because of ICE and shared dev tools? Can't imagine what well be seeing in 2-3 years

ethomaz

Banned
Ya I'm gettin that....except this looks like even more than merely 2x.

I honestly watched that trailer and thought it was CG. Until I saw the OP, no way did i think that was in-engine.
The issue is that PC hardware is and will always be underutilized due OS, API, abstractions layers, multitplataform/hardware engines, drivers, etc.

Even fixed hardware like consoles have overhead.

If you really use low level hardware language (like Assembly for CPUs) you will see how powerful and fast these PC hardware are... they are just heavy underutilized.

And more the hardware get strong... more the unoptimized the software will get... just look at the old languages to have a ideia:

Performance: Assembly > C > C++ > Visual Basic >>>>> C# > Java.

Even the SO got slower with the time... just look at the Windows today compared with Windows in the last decade... Win8 uses way more resources than WinXP for example.

Zutroy

So assuming this is true and the fact that this is a first round of games for this gen, does this make people more optimistic about Morpheus?

I know a lot of people are pessimistic about PS4s capability to run VR and do it justice, but even if the graphic fidelity was still under half of this Uncharted trailer, that would look pretty good.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Then someone would say the HUD is bullshit or it was being played on SLI'd Titans or whatever else they could come up with. Some people aren't going to believe it until they take the game home.

The doubts among internet forum posters are no sweat off Naughty Dog's back.

And even then they'll believe that that they were bewitched and everything they're seeing is just their imagination. The game actually looks no different than UC3. Fooking Sony magicians.

You know you have approached singularity levels of conversation when that carmack tweet comes up. Probably the most misquoted statement on GAF.

I really wish people would research into the things they post, especially regarding tech.

People, this Uncharted demo looking how it does is not that surprising...

Looks fantastic, but that is not a game yet. Let's wait a bit until we see some 60fps gameplay before shitting the bed with hyperbolic fanboyism or with hateful blind doubt.

B.O.O.M

lol this thread is great...so many people not believing ND.

I mean we started off this gen on the ps4 with KZ SF...then got Second Son...then we are getting Drive Club which looks absolutely bonkers...

so why are we having doubts again? Coming into this gen everyone should have anticipated that this would happen...ND/SSM/GG are top notch when it comes to visual achievements

jfoul

Corrinne Yu is going to help Naughty Dog create some of the best visuals this generation. 343i losing her was a huge loss. Microsoft even applied a software patent for Yu's Halo lighting work.

Corrinne Yu is going to help Naughty Dog create some of the best visuals this generation. 343i losing her was a huge loss. Microsoft even applied a software patent for Yu's Halo lighting work.

I am pretty sure she was a lead tools programmer at 343i, not engine lead, correct?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I think I just underestimated how important it is. I always thought it could be the difference between 30fps and 60 for instance, or something to that effect.

I didn't know it could do.....that.

It's like the same engine under the hood of an f150 as a go cart frame. Very little bs weighing the console down to achieve a specific result...and its gloooooooorious.

I must have this. Praise be Cerny. Brb gotta hug playstations

Hyunashi

Yep, I cant wait to see what eye candy they give us towards the end of the generation. A new Naughty Dog IP a few years down the road is going to look amazing I bet.

So assuming this is true and the fact that this is a first round of games for this gen, does this make people more optimistic about Morpheus?

I know a lot of people are pessimistic about PS4s capability to run VR and do it justice, but even if the graphic fidelity was still under half of this Uncharted trailer, that would look pretty good.

Was thinking about that. If VR can have high FPS and graphics then I am in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom