• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
its the animation more than anything for me. So many faces in games are just static - impressive looking but static. I don't think Drake's face is a generation above faces in general, but that animation bloody is.

And Naughty Dog hand-animates faces. Capture technology still has a little ways to go, I suppose. Or maybe it's just easier to equate the proper expression when you can tweak every little detail as it suits the environment, instead of just imagining it in a mocap studio.

it really is incredible how fast the gaming medium evolves. 10 years ago would you ever dream we'd have a game that looks this good? and people said the difference between ps4 and ps3 would be negligible LOL Uncharted 4 blows away anything visually.

Binabik15

60 fps snow level, 60 fps snow level, 60 fps snow level, 60 fps snow...please.

I was sceptical that it wasn't a prerendered cutscene, now they want to give us 60 fps with similiar visuals (I expect the ususal small-ish difference between cutscene and gameplay their other games have)? Praise the Naughty Gods.

stitch512

Banned
I am having a weird flashback....to a Killzone 2 reveal. It would be insane if thats how the game looks but I don't think it will however not far off. No way playable at 60fps for sure. I would love to be proven wrong.

wapplew

And Naughty Dog hand-animates faces. Capture technology still has a little ways to go, I suppose. Or maybe it's just easier to equate the proper expression when you can tweak every little detail as it suits the environment, instead of just imagining it in a mocap studio.

I'm feeling bad for those animators, how much work they need to do to pull this kind of detail.
I hope they stay healthy.

slash3584

I really don't care if this ends up being 1080p/30fps but if they can achieve 60fps with this level of detail I wonder what else they could add if they go for 30fps (LOCKED)

My PC isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but it does manage to allow me to see some pretty sights powered by my 7900GT

When the PS3 was announced, people said it was roughly comparable in GPU muscle to a 7900GT.

There is no fucking way my card which is supposedly around the same power level as my PS3 can make anything look that good. No. Fucking. Way. So can someone please explain how the PS3 can do that but my GPU can't? I understand "Coding to the metal" allows developers to focus on one particular type of hardware and maximize it, but I don't think that alone explains the difference here between the GPU in the PS3 and the one in my 7900.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this. It's from 2011, but should highlight the problem:

The DirectX Performance Overhead said:
If you're just rendering a screen full of pixels which are not terribly complicated, then typically a PC will do just as good a job as a console.
On consoles, you can draw maybe 10,000 or 20,000 chunks of geometry in a frame, and you can do that at 30-60fps. On a PC, you can't typically draw more than 2-3,000 without getting into trouble with performance, and that's quite surprising - the PC can actually show you only a tenth of the performance if you need a separate batch for each draw call.

Now the PC software architecture – DirectX – has been kind of bent into shape to try to accommodate more and more of the batch calls in a sneaky kind of way. There are the multi-threaded display lists, which come up in DirectX 11 – that helps, but unsurprisingly it only gives you a factor of two at the very best, from what we've seen. And we also support instancing, which means that if you're going to draw a crate, you can actually draw ten crates just as fast as far as DirectX is concerned.

But it's still very hard to throw tremendous variety into a PC game. If you want each of your draw calls to be a bit different, then you can't get over about 2-3,000 draw calls typically - and certainly a maximum amount of 5,000. Games developers definitely have a need for that. Console games often use 10-20,000 draw calls per frame, and that's an easier way to let the artist's vision shine through.'

1) Denial: "There is no way that will look like the trailer when the game is launch! I promise you! Its going to be downgraded!"

2) Anger: "You guys are so full of craps! Plenty of games have been revealed and then downgraded at the next showing! This will be exactly like Watch Dogs! Just you wait! Y'all bunch of fools!"

3) Bargaining: "Those guys are freaking wizards! They probably downgrade the background or something to boost the character's model... Something was downgraded, I can feel it..."

4) Depression: "I can't deal with this anymore... I thought they cheated, I thought it would be downgraded by now. But it look even better than before... Why can't any Microsoft team do this? Why cant Ubisoft? Why is it always Naughty Dogs? Why are they so good?..."

5) Acceptance: "This is it, the game is playing in front of me... And its the most breathtaking thing I've ever seen in my life. I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Naughty Dogs. I'm finally at peace now. Thank you for this amazing looking game."

e9U3oQO.gif

I like this post.

Finally downloaded and saw the 1080/60 Color corrected version. I'm still in awe. Really is unbelievable.

Uncharted 4 |OT| A bad day for the crows.

Uncharted 4 |OT| Crows left in a Murder

That trailer really gives me a feeling this is going to be ND's last Uncharted game. Even the logo makes it look like it has a period at the end of it.

9yQNRhlm.jpg

Uncharted 4 |OT| A Thief's End.

goonergaz

Please understand...

vum.png

Your HD 7850 will never archive the peak of what PS4 will archive... start to thing that PS4 GPU will performance like a HD 7870 or even better.

I know, it's frustrating when people talk about building a PC with the same specs for a similar price but not really understanding the closed-box advantages of consoles

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I am having a weird flashback....to a Killzone 2 reveal. It would be insane if thats how the game looks but I don't think it will however not far off. No way playable at 60fps for sure. I would love to be proven wrong.

ND isn't GG. But this isn't like some fidelity you can expect 90% of the time for faces. Not enough pixels.

UrbanRats

Cut corners? Is that some type of joke? They completely pushed the console to it's max, and having one example of poor texture quality in a system that had a shared 512 mb memory pool is a fucking joke when you have the rest of the game to prove for how much work they put into it.

Why is it so hard for people to think Naughty Dog is capable of this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have a division within the company that literally helped design the PS4. They have people who have direct access to the way the system operates and how to best optimize and pull juice out of it. Ready at Dawn is making their first console game and before Uncharted 4 was revealed it was the best looking game of the current generation, why is it so hard to think Naughty Dog wouldn't be able to top them, when they produced the best looking games of the last generation?

I'm making a list of you people. Nobody will escape the crow.

You make your list, man, i'll be far too happy about the game looking like that, to mind eating up some crow.

The thing is, this whole console war childish bullshit is so pathetic, with all the "salty" accusations, and people seeing agendas and faboys everywhere, it's annoying.

It's annoying to consider anything but a circlejerk of "hype for the Gods" as someone going into the "enemy's" camp to shit on their fun.

People have different opinions, without necessarily wanting to push their favorite piece of plastic.
People may want to keep their expectations in check without falling into the hype frenzy, that has been demostrated to have a potentially negative effect, several times before.

You make your list about the nonbelievers in the lords and saviors of gaming Naughty Gods cult, but i don't see anything wrong with waiting to see more and keeping up a little skepticism, before going bananas.
Worst that could happen is you get even more blown away than those who took those visuals for granted.
Just like i don't see nothing wrong in letting the hype take over and be super excited about it, just two different ways to take a news.

Just my 2 cents on some of the developments of this and other threads (not only your post).

Speaking of this, where was Quantic Dream at E3? Still too soon after BeyondTS to show anything? It'll be between them and Naughty Dog to see who pushes the PS4 the hardest in terms of photorealism I reckon.
Quantic Dream is currently prototyping for their sci-fi PS4 game. I think we will probably see them at E3 2015.

Metfanant

ND isn't GG. But this isn't like some fidelity you can expect 90% of the time for faces. Not enough pixels.

No, ND is not GG..but let's not forget GG is just about on equal footing with ND in being absolute wizards with Sony hardware...

What GG was able to achieve from a visual standpoint with a launch title was bananas...don't count out the next Killzone from being absolutely jaw dropping...

DrunkDan

That trailer really gives me a feeling this is going to be ND's last Uncharted game. Even the logo makes it look like it has a period at the end.

Or at the very least the last Nathan Drake game.

Seems like too big a brand name to drop completely but they could reimagine it with a new cast or something like that in the future.

Or it could be just like Metal Gear Solid.

UrbanRats

Quantic Dream is currently prototyping for their sci-fi PS4 game. I think we will probably see them at E3 2015.

Eh, last E3 i said to myself the next one would've been the one to really look forward to, for a time, ,but i soon realized that E3 2015 is most likely the one where shit will hit the fan, this gen.

...hopefully.

I think te difference is that facial capturing tries to capture real faces actor make, but it unable to recreat the full expressions -> uncanny valley.
I always feel a little uncanny valley effect when looking at facial captures.

Thats not the case when I look at NaughtyDogs faces. Their hand made facial animations are just better.

The fly though!
Is there such a thing as object based super sampling?
This trailer certainly doesn't use any kind of AA we have seen before. It's apparently not super sampled and all other methods we know of that could produce such a clean image at native 1080p are far too expensive. Everything that can be used wouldn't be able to produce something this clean, especially on little things like the fly.
I can only imagine that ICE maybe developed the SMAA algorithm a lot further or created something completely new that maybe targets these small objects especially.

Eh, last E3 i said to myself the next one would've been the one to really look forward to, for a time, ,but i soon realized that E3 2015 is most likely the one where shit will hit the fan, this gen.

...hopefully.
It's pretty stupid to say this every year, but 2015 is certainly a lot more likely to bring the bombs looking at the typical release schedule of all these studios. 2014 was simply too early and everyone hoped they somehow all created a second team or used magic to get their games ready this early. It was just unrealistic to happen. 2015 lines up a lot better, so I feel confident about that year already in terms of worthwhile announcements.

I'm so in love with Naughty Dog right now for adopting 60FPS. They thought framerate was important enough to triple-buffer the Uncharted games at 30, but I figured they'd lost their way with TLOU and its stuttery 25ishFPS. Then TLOU PS4 comes along and it's BAM, 60. Uncharted 4? How 'bout a little sixty, son? Gods among men.

Hopefully this will encourage other devs to follow their lead. When the biggest proponent of cinematic vidja-gaming says goodbye to 30FPS, that should pretty much end the 'bububu- more cinematic!' argument.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Doesn't metter, because technically, they're as good if not better than GG.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

No, ND is not GG..but let's not forget GG is just about on equal footing with ND in being absolute wizards with Sony hardware...

What GG was able to achieve from a visual standpoint with a launch title was bananas...don't count out the next Killzone from being absolutely jaw dropping...

No crapping on GG. In fact KZ3 almost, almost made it to the visual fidelity of the E3 trailer. I was just saying that ND wouldn't misrepresent themselves and actually, GG probably got a bit of a bad rap for their mockup not being representative of the product.

If ND says real time, it's real time. Their engine is bonkers for sure. Heck, I know how Sony has a low level tech sharing process between developers. I hope ND feeds its tech out to other developers. The best thing about the UC4 trailer is the SSS. That's what brings it to life, other than the animation.

We still gotta see a talk on how they're doing the AA on such fine details. Selective AA / compositing possible? Didn't occur to me until reading that B3D guys' comments. Some wicked stuff going on.

I know, it's frustrating when people talk about building a PC with the same specs for a similar price but not really understanding the closed-box advantages of consoles
Ya I'm gettin that....except this looks like even more than merely 2x.
Your HD 7850 will never archive the peak of what PS4 will archive... start to thing that PS4 GPU will performance like a HD 7870 or even better.
It's equally frustrating if people without knowledge talk about "coding to the metal"

The advantage of consoles is mainly for CPU, and may be even larger if there is a strong draw call limit. But most PC gaming rigs aren't limited by CPU performance.
Work is already underway to reduce or remove this overhead (openGL multidraw indirect / Mantle/Metal/DirectX 12)
If you look at benchmark comparisons between PC/PS4, you'd note that performance differences between similar speced GPU hardware is mostly negligible.

That's not to say that naughty dog can't specifically design their engine to get the best result within the PS4's power limits.
But stating that you'd need a much better GPU to be equal to a PS4 is not true.

AkIRA_22

When I was watching this for the first time I was yelling 'NO, NO!' thinking they were going to do a seamless transition into actual gameplay. You can just imagine a very simple UI fading on and taking control of Drake. This game is going to be epic, all hail Team ICE.

velociraptor

It's equally frustrating if people without knowledge talk about "coding to the metal"

The advantage of consoles is mainly for CPU, and may be even larger if there is a strong draw call limit. But most PC gaming rigs aren't limited by CPU performance.
Work is already underway to reduce or remove this overhead (openGL multidraw indirect / Mantle/Metal/DirectX 12)
If you look at benchmark comparisons between PC/PS4, you'd note that performance differences between similar speced GPU hardware is mostly negligible.

That's not to say that naughty dog can't specifically design their engine to get the best result within the PS4's power limits.
But stating that you'd need a much better GPU to be equal to a PS4 is not true.
Then why are GPU requirements so much higher for this generation? A 7850 isn't anywhere near good enough to run console ports anymore.

kmax

I never doubted Naughty Dog, and I won't start doing so today either. This studio is notorious for breaking grounds when it comes to console games, and is easily the best studio in the world in that regard. I honestly couldn't believe what I saw, but I guess I'm not accustomed to it yet. I mean, who is to that level of fidelity from a console game at this point?

All I know is that they confirmed that Neil Druckmann and Bruce Stratley have been confirmed to work on this, and while that's great, it's a bit of a shame at the same time as it means that we won't see TLoU2 for a while. Still, I absolutely can't wait what the guys have in store.

2015 is going to be insane.

Kevin

If the final game actually turns out looking this good then I will certainly be impressed. Graphics wise, this is what I've wanted/hoped for with next gen games and at 60 frames? That's just sounds really crazy.

For me this game and Star Wars Battlefront III impressed me visually. Zelda has me super excited for it's open world nature and gameplay (huge Zelda fan).

Gurish

One thing to note is that iirc, ND have always used the SAME model for cinematics and real time gameplay for all their games last gen. The lighting and aliasing were the two prime aspects that were improved for the cutscenes.
l.

Really? so you are telling me this is the in-game model of Ellie and Joel?
The-last-of-us-truck-cinematic-4.jpg

Tumblr_mfvj2broUD1rni2eho1_500.jpg

Because i took those out of a cut scene, No, I don't think so.

People, seriously don't set yourself up for a disappointment, as you can see from those pics I've put, the difference between In-game and cinematic in a ND game can be staggering, and i bet this is the case with UC4 as well, Don't eat this PR bullshit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom