• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but it's like saying "hey look how amazing this single texture looks". It doesn't really prove anything about how the game stacks up to the pre-rendered cutscenes. The others shots at least try.

well, not many last gen games have texture as good as U3, so that got to count for something. lol

Moosichu

no, it's not the same team, especially since Straley and Druckmann didn't work on U3.
and even if they don't refer to themselves as the A and B Team, it's clear who has the more talented personnel. it's the people who worked on U2 and TLOU.

Most of the people who worked on Uncharted 2 worked on Uncharted 3, some even worked on Uncharted 3 and TLOU. One game had almost twice the dev time. That makes a direct comparison stupid.

Neil Druckman worked on TLOU, but Amy Hennig worked on Uncharted 3 and she was a lead on the first two.

i-Lo

It's a very limited scene in a limited environment with a controlled camera. So far this could be a tech demo for example. We'll have to wait till we get gameplay to see how it holds up when under stress by bigger environments, multiple characters, shooting, explosions, physics and AI.

Which is why I am not expecting the final product to be 60fps. Even at 30fps I am skeptical whether they can consistently pull off that level of fidelity.

The reality is ND has been greeted with skepticism because they are once again pushing the bar to a new height, one that was not expected before perhaps the twilight years of the console and even then not at that framerate. In the end, if it does work out it will be a win-win situation regardless (even at 30fps).

well, not many last gen games have texture as good as U3, so that got to count for something. lol
I think Dennis can find you a single amazing looking texture in almost every game :D But yeah, UC3 is solid in that regard. Not as good as GoW or Beyond, but pretty consistent in texture quality. Their "aim, stream in ultra high quality texture while blur our the rest" technique is pretty neat though. Although it's kinda trickery ;)

is-this-real-life.jpg

Myansie

Really? so you are telling me this is the in-game model of Ellie and Joel?
The-last-of-us-truck-cinematic-4.jpg

Tumblr_mfvj2broUD1rni2eho1_500.jpg

Because i took those out of a cut scene, No, I don't think so.

People, seriously don't set yourself up for a disappointment, as you can see from those pics I've put, the difference between In-game and cinematic in a ND game can be staggering, and i bet this is the case with UC4 as well, Don't eat this PR bullshit up.

Naughty Dog have confirmed the cut scene models from TLOU are the in game models for the PS4 version. Looking at Joel and Ellie above they appear pretty close to Drake from the E3 2014 clip. They have also said that Drake's PS4 model is double the poly count of Joel's PS3 model. Considering the generational power gap Drake's model from the E3 clip looks well within expectations.

The tech in the clip I'm wondering about is the aliasing solution, the lighting quality, the water physics and the detail in the jungle. That was all super impressive.

Acheteedo

Well, I'll gladly eat crow on this one. It just looked too good to be true.

Fuck. ing. wow.

I know that in games like Uncharted the visuals always look better in real-time sequences compared to during gameplay, but it's still absolutely incredible.

So, are cutscenes in Uncharted 4 now realtime? Not prerenderd like they used to be in Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU?

I know that NaughtyDog used the time while these prerendere cutscenes were running to load the next section of the game, so you could play without any loading time(except you skipped cutscenes).
Will there now be loading times or is GDDR5 fast enough to load new sections while cutscenes are rendered in real time? Because that would be pretty fucking amazing.

Shredderi

So, are cutscenes in Uncharted 4 now realtime? Not prerenderd like they used to be in Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU?

I know that NaughtyDog used the time while these prerendere cutscenes were running to load the next section of the game, so you could play without any loading time(except you skipped cutscenes).
Will there now be loading times or is GDDR5 fast enough to load new sections while cutscenes are rendered in real time? Because that would be pretty fucking amazing.

Thats what I remember reading here somewhere. I just can't remember what site it was but they apparently won't use pre-rendered cutscenes anymore and run everything in-game?

The question isn't whether GDDR5 is fast enough, but whether they can load stuff into the GDDR5 fast enough. They may have enough 'extra' space ontop of what they need to draw the immediate area that they can start pre-fetching data earlier, to give the game time to load in all the data they need without having to worry about using a cutscene to free up space in memory to load new areas.

camac002

Did they? https://twitter.com/kurtmargenau/status/447997414771671040

Guys I feel like I need to point this out.

This ND's FIRST PS4 game.

And just like last gen, GG, SSM and QD will top them handily with their next games in a leapfrog effect.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Couple of months ago one of the ICE team tweated about massive improvements etc etc.

I cant remember the link, you can get it from Tidux / thuway who retweeted some of his stuff.

Does not say much more than we know already..

Well known industry insider Thuway and Tidux has shared pretty interesting details regarding next-gen consoles war between Xbox One and Playstation 4. On May 15, Tidux in a hidden tone teased some improvements coming to Playstation 4 in future.

Today, to this tweet of Tidux, Thuway aka Ahsan Rasheed gave a interesting reply, "If the number you are giving me is true, than it really is game over Xbox One."

Later on Thuway clarfied that he is not talking about sales war between Xbox One and Playstation 4 but Playstation 4 performance boost coming in future.

Thuway clarified: "I don't mean game over in terms of sales. I am talking about power. PS4 performance boost rumor is insane. I find it hard to swallow"

"But if it is true, the Xbox One to PS4 port differences will grow much larger if devs choose to make PS4 versions shine."

Going through the entire conversation it seems like Tidux is hinting towards improvements from ICE team for Playstation 4 and contents Naughty Dog will show at E3 2014.

Ex-IGN Edition, Jeremy Conard replied this to the above tweet of Tidux: "that’s what Sony should play at E3 when ND shows off the face melting work the ICE team has done"

These industry insiders have pretty good track record of leaking information way before its official announcement, so we just can't completely ignore them. Are you guys excited about the new course of turn next-gen consoles war between PS4 vs Xbox One is about to take? Tell us in the comment section below what you guys are expecting.

Which is why I am not expecting the final product to be 60fps. Even at 30fps I am skeptical whether they can consistently pull off that level of fidelity.

The reality is ND has been greeted with skepticism because they are once again pushing the bar to a new height, one that was not expected before perhaps the twilight years of the console and even then not at that framerate. In the end, if it does work out it will be a win-win situation regardless (even at 30fps).
Yeah. For example I wouldn't be surprised if most of the lighting was baked here. Also there seems to be nothing going on in terms of physics. Pretty sure the water, sand and foliage are just animated instead of physic driven. There is also no clothing animation whatsoever it seems like and only very basic hair animation. That alone should free up some resources for this particular cutscene. Probably no objects outside what the camera shows either and the entire background likely stuffed with low quality props, hence the heavy DoF to obscure them. It now seems possible that this is real time, just heavily guided and polished.

R_Deckard

AT 30 fps at console settings? Totally doable.

No its not, I have 7870 and it does not run Ultra textures for 1 (PS4 and X1 do)

Also it does not run as smooth at high settings on High Textures @ 900p, dips and stutter still pop in, just stop!

For me this was another Jaw drop to floor, sit up and stare, and say "Holy Fucking" shit, Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid 2 move on moment...it floored me and made me feel like a kid again knowing that we can still get these Giddy, no way moments.

Naughty Dog are SO AHEAD of everyone else and Corrine Yu has just added so much to the best Devs in the world it is ridiculous!! I am so happy I love games!

camac002

Hm, I can't remember skipping cutscenes in UC1-3, but i remember skipping some when trophyhunting in golden abyss and it usually took a few seconds until the cutscenese were skippable.

Yep, agreed on Golden Abyss but that was a Sony Bend game when he specifies ND's games.

I honestly can't remember what happened the last time I tried to instant skip in Uncharted. Might have to find the old U3 disc and check it out.

They were only sometimes used to hide loading. Most of the time the next area is already streamed in when they start. They mostly load stuff during the forced slow walking sections, combat and ladder puzzles. That's why there are so many of them and a character is constantly closing a gate behind you or you jump down a broken ladder with no means of returning. Immediate unloading of the previous area and start to stream in the next one. If you sprint through the environment ignoring everything like a speedrun the engine actually breaks down completely and this happens rather constantly:

2224yu2k.gif

ND basically begs you to play slowly or their game and technology doesn't work ^^

RK9039

They were only sometimes used to hide loading. Most of the time the next area is already streamed in when they start. They mostly load stuff during the forced slow walking sections, combat and ladder puzzles. That's why there are so many of them and a character is constantly closing a gate behind you or you jump down a broken ladder with no means of returning. Immediate unloading of the previous area and start to stream in the next one. If you sprint through the environment ignoring everything like a speedrun the engine actually breaks down completely and this happens rather constantly:

2224yu2k.gif

ND basically begs you to play slowly or their game and technology doesn't work ^^

WTF?

PS4 remaster pre-order cancelled.

Ethelwulf

I remember the first time a saw these bullshots:

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526040208405.jpg

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060510112108415.jpg

I was completely blown away. "How can this be possible?" Compare them to what we have now (TLOU and U3). The enhancement is unreal. Naughty Dog will deliver.

Stillmatic

Yep ;) Apartment waiting with Ellie for Tes ;)

Correct! It's just after that when you start the generator for the lift. The camera's pressed up against a window with rain running down. :) Pretty crazy you guys guessed it with just a brick background!

edit:
I know it's not the best way to compare screenshots (due to compression and resizing), but this is what I call a generation leap.

http://i.imgur.com/N07cU42.jpg

That is insane.

santi_yo

I know it's not the best way to compare screenshots (due to compression and resizing), but this is what I call a generation leap.

N07cU42.jpg

nOoblet16

Really? so you are telling me this is the in-game model of Ellie and Joel?
http://cloud.attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/The-last-of-us-truck-cinematic-4.jpg
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...mages/e/e5/Tumblr_mfvj2broUD1rni2eho1_500.jpg

Because i took those out of a cut scene, No, I don't think so.

People, seriously don't set yourself up for a disappointment, as you can see from those pics I've put, the difference between In-game and cinematic in a ND game can be staggering, and i bet this is the case with UC4 as well, Don't eat this PR bullshit up.

They use the exact same model for cutscenes but with improved skin shaders and textures, but that's all the change there is to the models. Majority of the difference comes from the lighting which in turn works out to make the model look even better due to the improved skin shaders interacting with the improved lighting.

IvorB

Just keep doing what you do, Naughty Dog.

I would never doubt for one second the wizardry these guys are capable of. Only fools would doubt at this point. When this game ships we will all see what the PS4 is truly capable of.

You missed one minor detail: Those examples were pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes - one which is developer controlled with post-processed effects. This isn't the case with U4 (read the OP) because the cinematics and gameplay graphics are persistent. See (The Order: 1886) for a clear example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom