• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reese-015

What AA are they using that not even the eyelashes are aliased, that looks like supersampled level IQ but there's no way you could use SSAA or MSAA and hope to hit 60fps.

Exactly, I'm totally puzzled by this. I don't know what to believe... I'd swear that's supersampling right there. What else could it be?

Loris146

What AA are they using that not even the eyelashes are aliased, that looks like supersampled level IQ but there's no way you could use SSAA or MSAA and hope to hit 60fps.

DF said that the game is running at 1080p and they are not using super sampling... We'll see.

Wow! So what they gonna do for PS5? (Alright, I'm getting ahead of myself)

Why Ps5? Just image what NaughtyDogs games at the end of the Ps4s life cycle will look like if the first one already looks incredible.

First Uncharted on Ps3(2007) Bullshot:
naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526040208405.jpg

Last Uncharted on Ps3(2011) Direct Feed:

First Uncharted on Ps4(2015):

cheezcake

DF said that the game is running at 1080p and they are not using super sampling... We'll see.

Well that makes sense at least, SSAA would be an impossibly big performance hit to the PS4. But got dayum that IQ, it's not like the DOF on the face is so extreme that it would mask all the aliasing either.

Capeo

Banned

I really don't know shit about computer graphics, so I don't even know if this is plausible, but could they have come up with their own proprietary AA solution? Given the closed box nature of the console and not having to worry about compatibility issues?

CREMSteve

Watching this more closely now since the reveal, I don't see why it can't be done. It's a solid step up from U3 and pretty much what I expected from a new game from Naughty Dog.

I believe.

dwells

I'm going to guess it's a mix of techniques with SMAA T2x doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Look at Infamous 3 and the image quality they managed, the game looks supersampled in a lot of the screenshots.

cheezcake

I really don't know shit about computer graphics, so I don't even know if this is plausible, but could they have come up with their own proprietary AA solution? Given the closed box nature of the console and not having to worry about compatibility issues?

ND is home to the ICE team, whose job is to create new graphics technology for use on the Playstation. So yeh if they did create some sort of modification to an existing AA technique, it would likely be implemented in an ND game first. Right now I'm thinking this is probably some variant of SMAA, like Ryse and infamous:SS.

ButchCat

Doubters eat crow. You hear about the Arkham Knight Demo during the Sony conference running on a PC then you see this, Naughty Gods indeed. finally we get to have seemless transition from gameplay to cutscene and vice versa.

Majanew

Banned
Whoa. Wait, what? Seriously? Whoa. Holy...

I don't want to take any credit away from the other talented devs at Naughty Dog because Uncharted 2 and 3 were graphical beasts, but this has to be Corrinne Yu. She's a wizard, I tell ya.

B_Boss

Oh my god.....what in the hell are they doing at ND........some of these devs are going to master coding for the PS4 probably before that Cerny 4-ish year timeline.....this is just stunning for a home gaming console.....I will now go stare at my PS4 in true astonishment...."we ain't seen nothin' yet."

Reese-015

I'm not sure I believe DF on there not being any supersampling. I think they legitimately might be supersampling here... And perhaps they will actually be doing supersampling in the cutscenes in real-time.

Night and day difference. Not that that will stop the "diminishing returns!!" crowd.

Ugh. SRSLY. I'm baffled by the graphics here like anyone else but diminishing returns is a fact. It's not an opinion. It's not a negative thing either and it's not some sort of judgment of what the new consoles can or can't do, it's simply the fact that as you get closer to photo-realism, there's only so much you can do in terms of significant visual improvements. We will never see PS1->PS2 type leaps any more. Fact. That is what diminishing returns means. You can't make those types of leaps forever. That is all. There is no need to debate this or get butthurt when anyone brings up the term.

rashbeep

Banned
Watching this more closely now since the reveal, I don't see why it can't be done. It's a solid step up from U3 and pretty much what I expected from a new game from Naughty Dog.

I believe.

I think it will look like that as well, but I'm still skeptical about the performance. If they can actually get the game to run that well, devs like Ubisoft, Evo, RAD should be ashamed.

Handy Fake

ND is home to the ICE team, whose job is to create new graphics technology for use on the Playstation. So yeh if they did create some sort of modification to an existing AA technique, it would likely be implemented in an ND game first. Right now I'm thinking this is probably some variant of SMAA, like Ryse and infamous:SS.

Connie Yu mentioned something about a sparkly new "rendering pipeline" technique.

WTF?

PS4 remaster pre-order cancelled.
You are not going to play that fast unless you try to speedrun it ;)

Is there a difference between this and The Dark Sorcerer demo ?
In terms of requirements? No. So far this could be a tech demo and nothing more. We'll have to see how the gameplay holds up.

No its not, I have 7870 and it does not run Ultra textures for 1 (PS4 and X1 do)
WD on PS4 runs a mix of settings. Ultra to Medium. It doesn't run on ultra entirely, that's not possible lol

I never doubt the Naughty Gods.

Some people are seriously embarrassing themselves in this topic - I think some people simply don't want consoles to produce stunning graphics. Seeing some cognitive dissonance from some of the PC elitist.

I don't believe it but I would love if it was true.
A Quantic Dream game could momentarily pull it off during actual gameplay I assume. But even then you are never going to get that consistent level of art and textures where nothing stands out. It's just too expensive and this is a pretty controlled environment, so everything is polished. Doubt any game will ever be able to pull this off during the entirety of its duration unless new technology is invented.

This looks better? Also Dark Sorcerer used QD's old engine, though.
Really curious to see what graphics they pull off.
They actually went on record saying that Dark Sorcerer is the minimum quality anyone should expect from a proper next gen game and that the visual quality is well below what they planning to achieve on their next game. So it's certainly going to look mindblowing. That and Cyberpunk 2077 will satisfy my sci-fi itch.

cheezcake

Connie Yu mentioned something about a sparkly new "rendering pipeline" technique.

That actually could make a lot of sense, I assumed they were using a deferred lighting render pipeline like in their PS3 games. If they changed the render pipeline itself there's a good chance they're using Forward+ with MSAA (lower computational cost on forward+ than deferred) like The Order. Ryse actually used a combined approach in which particular objects went through a forward+ render, and most other stuff went through a deferred render.

Reese-015

WD on PS4 runs a mix of settings. Ultra to Medium. It doesn't run on ultra entirely, that's not possible lol

Indeed, a WD dev even said it was High on consoles, not Ultra. Plus from what I've seen, shadowing on consoles doesn't run on High, more like Medium. So it's a mix of High and below.

I'm not sure I believe DF on there not being any supersampling. I think they legitimately might be supersampling here... And perhaps they will actually be doing supersampling in the cutscenes in real-time.

Ugh. SRSLY. I'm baffled by the graphics here like anyone else but diminishing returns is a fact. It's not an opinion. It's not a negative thing either and it's not some sort of judgment of what the new consoles can or can't do, it's simply the fact that as you get closer to photo-realism, there's only so much you can do in terms of significant visual improvements. We will never see PS1->PS2 type leaps any more. Fact. That is what diminishing returns means. You can't make those types of leaps forever. That is all. There is no need to debate this or get butthurt when anyone brings up the term.

I would say this is just as shocking to me as going from Metal Gear 1 to Metal Gear 2.

Well known industry insider Thuway and Tidux has shared pretty interesting details regarding next-gen consoles war between Xbox One and Playstation 4. On May 15, Tidux in a hidden tone teased some improvements coming to Playstation 4 in future.

Today, to this tweet of Tidux, Thuway aka Ahsan Rasheed gave a interesting reply, "If the number you are giving me is true, than it really is game over Xbox One."

Later on Thuway clarfied that he is not talking about sales war between Xbox One and Playstation 4 but Playstation 4 performance boost coming in future.

Thuway clarified: "I don't mean game over in terms of sales. I am talking about power. PS4 performance boost rumor is insane. I find it hard to swallow"

"But if it is true, the Xbox One to PS4 port differences will grow much larger if devs choose to make PS4 versions shine."

Going through the entire conversation it seems like Tidux is hinting towards improvements from ICE team for Playstation 4 and contents Naughty Dog will show at E3 2014.

Ex-IGN Edition, Jeremy Conard replied this to the above tweet of Tidux: "that’s what Sony should play at E3 when ND shows off the face melting work the ICE team has done"

These industry insiders have pretty good track record of leaking information way before its official announcement, so we just can't completely ignore them. Are you guys excited about the new course of turn next-gen consoles war between PS4 vs Xbox One is about to take? Tell us in the comment section below what you guys are expecting.

That's quite interesting. Anyone heard anything from other developers about an incoming performance boost for the PS4?

That actually could make a lot of sense, I assumed they were using a deferred lighting render pipeline like in their PS3 games. If they changed the render pipeline itself there's a good chance they're using Forward+ with MSAA (lower computational cost on forward+ than deferred) like The Order
This still wouldn't bring them anywhere close where almost nothing has aliasing. Either it's a new technique or they are actually supersampling somehow. Maybe specific to the type of surface it covers.

Reese-015

I would say this is just as shocking to me as going from Metal Gear 1 to Metal Gear 2.

You have got to be joking. Going from blocky Minecraft-like character models to actual smooth relatively anatomically correct models IS a far bigger leap than just further increasing the detail and rendering techniques on that. And if you go even further back, going from 2D sprites to 3D sprites is an even bigger leap than that. What we see here today is not of that magnitude. That is what diminishing returns means.

Yeah and an Ubisoft employee said he heard the same thing from "a buddy at ND." Whatever they're doing, hopefully it carries over to the rest of Sony's first party devs. It's almost like they've cracked some magic code - I would never have imagined a game looking like this running at 1080/60 during the lifetime of the PS4.

Xpliskin

I'm hyped, but they're playing with words.

I'll believe it when they stop and move/rotate the camera around on a single commercial PS4.

Even if the in-game model won't be as detailed as this one (twice the polys of in-game Joel. That's 60k. This one is definitely more.)

sunnz

Whether the game looks like that in game is something we are not sure off.

BUT one thing we can be sure off is that it will still blow our minds when we do see it.

It's naughty dog..

R_Deckard

It does on textures which what I was saying.
Indeed, a WD dev even said it was High on consoles, not Ultra. Plus from what I've seen, shadowing on consoles doesn't run on High, more like Medium. So it's a mix of High and below.

No PS4 runs High on everything aside Textures which are Ultra (water seems higher than High but not quite Ultra) XboxOne can use medium shaders at points, mostly seen in cutscenes and Draw Distance seems shorter on X1.

Raist

Banned
You have got to be joking. Going from blocky Minecraft-like character models to actual smooth relatively anatomically correct models IS a far bigger leap than just further increasing the detail and rendering techniques on that. And if you go even further back, going from 2D sprites to 3D sprites is an even bigger leap than that. What we see here today is not of that magnitude. That is what diminishing returns means.

There's more to graphics than just polygons.

cheezcake

That's quite interesting. Anyone heard anything from other developers about an incoming performance boost for the PS4?

IIRC Thuway has a terrible track record recently, and honestly that sounds just as nonsensical as the xbone secret sauce stuff that constantly came up.

This still wouldn't bring them anywhere close where almost nothing has aliasing. Either it's a new technique or they are actually supersampling somehow. Maybe specific to the type of surface it covers.

MSAA 4x, the slow movement and the light covering of DoF across parts of the face probably all combine to get rid of the jaggies. Also IIRC, under the right circumstances MSAA can give results quite similar to SSAA.

I see where your coming from completely but this is going from "okay that is clearly a face that shows decent emotion" - Uncharted 2,3 to - "Holy hell is that live footage!" - UC4

He almost looks real its insane. I guess in quantifiable terms I understand what you mean.

Reese-015

There's more to graphics than just polygons.

Diminishing returns doesn't refer to processing power or amount of effects or indeed, amount of polygons. When we talk about diminishing returns with graphics, we talk about the general impression that the visuals can give us. In that regard, it'd be stupid to dispute that there are indeed diminishing returns.

For example: Toy Story was groundbreaking. There have been tons of improvements in CG since then and at many times the visual fidelity has doubled since then. Have you been twice as impressed every time the fidelity doubled? Nope. Why? BECAUSE DIMINISHING RETURNS MOTHERFUCKER. You can only wow people by upping the fidelity so many times. At some point, graphics look 'good enough' to most people and while amazing advances in tech certainly continue to impress geeks like you and me, they become less and less impressive or even noticeable to most.

This is how it works. Please stop making silly arguments about how diminishing returns is not a real thing.

I see where your coming from completely but this is going from "okay that is clearly a face that shows decent emotion" - Uncharted 2,3 to - "Holy hell is that live footage!" - UC4

He almost looks real its insane. I guess in quantifiable terms I understand what you mean.

I do completely agree on this, what ND is doing here is mindblowing to me.

I am assuming that ICE very quickly shares its tech with other first party studios, so hopefully this spreads amongst PS4 first party titles.

Jinko

The jump in quality is impressive no doubt.

I am still sceptical about it being real time regardless of what ND say, it's not like they would admit if it was pre rendered anyway.

I expect there to be downgrades by release also, so you may wana do the same lol.

madp0k

I think its an ongoing thing, there was some tweets from Dan Olsen of treyarch saying it was nice to see change logs of api updates with things he'd asked for in, Cort from the ICE team tweeted him back saying it was nice to get some requests that he could do off the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom