• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozone

The fact that reviewers unanimously agree that it's the best looking console game ever (and according to others, better than alot of PC games) say otherwise.

Well, I don't really care what the reviewers say. I'll see for myself on Tuesday. I'm just saying that the posted screenshot of his hands on the wall doesn't look spectacular to me.. in fact, it looks like his hands are not "planted" to the wall with shadowing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So is the actual gameplay 60fps or just cutscenes? I don't care about cutscenes. The most important thing is gameplay runs at 60fps.

Wait. Do his eyes not move? They look like they stay in the same position consistently, giving him a sort of deadpan expression.

In the previous tech talks, the eyelids even cast shadows on the eyeball. the iris even has reflection of the whole world and there is pupil dilation like in TLOU.

Daft Punk

Banned
So are people actually discussing the frame rate and possible technical compromises that might have had to been made in order to get it to the level it is at now or are we just using this thread as a reason to try and downplay the graphics? I'm seeing the latter.

So are people actually discussing the frame rate and possible technical compromises that might have had to been made in order to get it to the level it is at now or are we just using this thread as a reason to try and downplay the graphics? I'm seeing the latter.
The recent post history of two of the more common posters from the past couple of hours should tell you enough.

Kinyou

Coming back to this thread just reminded me of how quietly Corrinne Yu and Naughty Dog parted ways after the huge media blast that hit when she announced she was leaving 343industries.

In fact, no on even knew she left. Homies stuffed it under the rug real stealth like. Wonder what went down.
huh, I didn't even know that she left ND

Looking back, I suppose it is a little funny that ND claimed those graphics at 60 FPS but might not even be able to manage it at 30. Or maybe it was running on the PS4K all this time. ����

Going forward, ND should take notes from GG. After the CGI trailer of Killzone 2 on 2005, they went 100% legit with all of their subsequent games.

Yeah, still not sure what they were thinking. I mean even if they got close with the retail, doing all this with 60FPS seems just absolutely ridiculous.

huh, I didn't even know that she left ND

Yeah, still not sure what they were thinking. I mean even if they got close with the retail, doing all this with 60FPS seems just absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe they knew about the PS4.5 all those years back and THAT'S what they meant. Has to be...Right?.....Guys?

I don’t know who’s worse, the people that bumped to “discuss” some downgrade no one reasonable would give a crap about or the joke posts baiting/feeding into the bump to get reactions out of people.

Disgusting all of it, makes me embarrassed gaming is my main hobby sometimes.

UrbanRats

Eh, anybody with a brain knew that was a bullshit claim anyway.
So i doubt many were shocked in the end.

It's still one of the best looking games ever made, so it's not like they have anything to worry.

platina

Well now that the game has been out for a couple of months we finally face the reality, the game never looked like that. Sit back, grab some popcorn, enjoy re-reading through the first few pages and remember,things aren't always what they seem to be. mr skeltal is watching u bros. stay frosty.

The presentation from ND about their character shading clears up a historical point a lot of people were curious about. Remember how people were saying how that the original UC4 demo rendering is not the same as the one in the launched game / was perhaps not actually real time?

According to their chracter slides:
differentstyxr.png

different2x3l3k.png

Then they ended up using some very different tech / paradigms.
---
60 frames-per-second,msaa,higher hair fidelity,incredible shadows,better lighting, much better textures
drake_by_raziel1992-d7m0j48.gif

8ThSEQg.jpg

Kzt3ah1.jpg

sdPm2h2.jpg

VoJbV.gif

mrqs

Was a lie all along.

The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, i don't know why Naughty Dog does this stuff. "Captured directly from an PlayStation 4", what a lie.

Same with The Last of Us reveal trailer. I just can't have 100% love for them when they lie like that.

Angel_DvA

Salt is real... it's still the best looking console game in this generation, I hope there is a possibility for Neo to run it at 60FPS.

making a mountain out of the world's tiniest molehill...
some of you really ought to just watch a few videos on game development, what it entails, how situations change over time, and how unexpected changes are sometimes necessitated
just so that i could watch your heads explode like scanners

Trace

Banned
Not sure what this means.

But yeah, the game looked stupendous, but I don't think it ever reached that level.

Naughty Dog thought they could make a whole game look like that render. It didn't, it's still one of the best looking games on console.

Jack cw

Salt is real... it's still the best looking console game in this generation, I hope there is a possibility for Neo to run it at 60FPS.
It's a pretty boring week so far regarding gaming related news, so after the Witcher megapixel thread the outcome here is not surprising.

Actually I'm glad this was bumped because I've been meaning to ask someone knowledgeable, what exactly is the difference (in terms of graphics) between the cutscenes and gameplay in Uncharted 4? I've seen a number of posts on GAF suggesting that the cutscenes are higher fidelity, but after replaying the game I haven't been able to really notice it. Is it just the character models? If so, what changes are being made specifically?

Actually I'm glad this was bumped because I've been meaning to ask someone knowledgeable, what exactly is the difference (in terms of graphics) between the cutscenes and gameplay in Uncharted 4? I've seen a number of posts on GAF suggesting that the cutscenes are higher fidelity, but after replaying the game I haven't been able to really notice it. Is it just the character models? If so, what changes are being made specifically?
The characters have a bit higher fidelity. There's also more light sources in cutscenes. Try watching a cutscene, and as soon as the game gives you control, hit the photo button and you'll notice the lighting looks a bit worse than in the cutscene.

LostDonkey

If anybody ever believed it was going to run at 60fps looking like that on a machine with ps4 specs then they need testing.

It was never going to happen.

Yeah reading the thread title back in 2014

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Turned out to be a tad misleading so there is definitely some calling out to do. The game still looks like one of the best of the generation and like i've said in other threads i hope these levels of visuals are capable in the neo version of the last of us 2 even if it's 30fps. It would be a major step up. Keep it at 1080p but with teaser level visuals would just be amazing.

The cutscenes mainly do everything better: shaders, sss, lighting and indirect, maybe a better LOD for the character too. Yeah it looks to be just on the character models just like the last of us prerender.

Mrait1.png

hzuj2W.png

curmrvuylkd.png

vvtshnz7a9a.png

The characters have a bit higher fidelity. There's also more light sources in cutscenes. Try watching a cutscene, and as soon as the game gives you control, hit the photo button and you'll notice the lighting looks a bit worse than in the cutscene.

Does that mean that ND specifically constructs environments that they know will play it out in cutscenes to have more light sources than non-cutscene environments? Because it's still all real-time right?

Spinluck

Ha, some of these post were gold.

For the record, I was one of the ones that called the game not looking like that. Still looks amazing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom