• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection 1080p/60fps footage+demo coming this summer

Loudninja

Oh yeah would you look at that, here's the link

Oh mannnn!!! That's awesome.

Eh?
We played it... briefly. Just the building collapse sequence from Uncharted 2. It seemed faithful. There isn’t anything to the collection that seems like it will merit a replay for people who were satisfied playing the games on PS3—they’re trying to hook some of those people by offering voucher for a forthcoming Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta—but for newcomers, the collection should be fun. Those Uncharted games are really good.
All these changes and such but it dosent warrant a replay?

Revven

Eh?

All these changes and such but it dosent warrant a replay?

Yeah I... don't get that comment either. I'm pretty sure I would want to replay it on this new difficulty setting they're talking about -- Crushing was tough but not impossible, something harder than that would be a welcome challenge and worth replaying to me. Even recalculating the damage enemies receive is a significant change worth replaying.

And the article also confirms you can turn off sixaxis motion in UC1, grenades will FINALLY be more practical in that game. That's reason enough to replay UC1.

Loudninja

Yeah I... don't get that comment either. I'm pretty sure I would want to replay it on this new difficulty setting they're talking about -- Crushing was tough but not impossible, something harder than that would be a welcome challenge and worth replaying to me. Even recalculating the damage enemies receive is a significant change worth replaying.

And the article also confirms you can turn off sixaxis motion in UC1, grenades will FINALLY be more practical in that game. That's reason enough to replay UC1.
Yeah this is much bigger changes then I expected.

Also I am glad they we still have a option to use the motion controls for grenades cuz it was awesome :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's possible, though I believe UC3 let you download language packs individually and that's not included in the 25GB figure. Also TLOU on PS3 was about 27GB and Remastered is over 40, so I have my doubts. :(

Honestly, the concept of an 'Uncharted Full HD Collection' was what made me assume way back when that the PS4 would have a BDXL drive.

The first game had the assets doubled cause of the slower BD Drive in the PS3, U2 had a multiplayer component which takes up a lot of space, U3 has 3D (which required duplicate assets as well) plus multiplayer.

The collection won't have to worry about duplicate for speed since the games install fully to the HD, and no 3D or Multiplayer. That frees up a ton of storage usage on a ROM.

This will be one of my first PS4 titles when I get one, I enjoyed the first game but couldn't finish the second due to lack of interest. Never played the third.

They're honestly well crafted games, and story can be gripping when the mood strikes.

Revven

I guess this new difficulty will put UC2 and UC3 up to par with UC1's original crushing. :p

Haha, I hope so. UC1 Crushing was thrilling.

Maybe it'll be on-par with TLOU's Grounded mode except it'll do things like add more enemies in certain spots (not more waves) or change the enemy types? Instead of just taking more bullet damage (which at that point it would probably just be one shot to down you lol).

BreakAtmo

The first game had the assets doubled cause of the slower BD Drive in the PS3, U2 had a multiplayer component which takes up a lot of space, U3 has 3D (which required duplicate assets as well) plus multiplayer.

The collection won't have to worry about duplicate for speed since the games install fully to the HD, and no 3D or Multiplayer. That frees up a ton of storage usage on a ROM.

Actually the 25GB figure is just UC3's SP campaign and 2D cutscenes. Adding the 3D and MP into the mix makes UC3 40+GB all by itself - the GOTY version with all the MP DLC is actually 43.5GB. But let's work this out.

If UC1's 18.5GB was partly doubled assets, then how much space would removing them free up? Let's say without them it goes down to maybe 12GB - that's straight from my ass so I'd appreciate if anyone with a better idea could correct me. UC2 is a bit clearer - if UC3's MP is 4.6GB like it says on the store there's no way UC2's is bigger, so let's assume about the same size and say that cutting the MP would bring UC2 down from 19.5GB to about 15GB. That would still put us at a little over 50GB for all 3 games even before you take into account the extra space needed for the re-rendered 1080p60 cutscenes and the improved assets. They MIGHT be able to pull it off if the compression on the disc is really good, but I honestly don't know.

What would have really helped is if the PS4 could do HEVC decoding. That would've been awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted?

I played it right after the Trophy patch hit, so yeah around that time frame. I still think it's the best Uncharted in terms of character interaction and "fun." It's a good short romp and while Crushing has a few trouble areas I have fun with it at any difficulty setting I put it at.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually the 25GB figure is just UC3's SP campaign and 2D cutscenes. Adding the 3D and MP into the mix makes UC3 40+GB all by itself - the GOTY version with all the MP DLC is actually 43.5GB. But let's work this out.

If UC1's 18.5GB was partly doubled assets, then how much space would removing them free up? Let's say without them it goes down to maybe 12GB - that's straight from my ass so I'd appreciate if anyone with a better idea could correct me. UC2 is a bit clearer - if UC3's MP is 4.6GB like it says on the store there's no way UC2's is bigger, so let's assume about the same size and say that cutting the MP would bring UC2 down from 19.5GB to about 15GB. That would still put us at a little over 50GB for all 3 games even before you take into account the extra space needed for the re-rendered 1080p60 cutscenes and the improved assets. They MIGHT be able to pull it off if the compression on the disc is really good, but I honestly don't know.

What would have really helped is if the PS4 could do HEVC decoding. That would've been awesome.
I was hugely skeptical about this with TLOU remaster as well. But they managed to compress the cutscenes in 1080p/60 to look less compressed than the cutscenes in PS3 TLOU, and still don't take any more space. Still, I have no idea how are they going to fit all three games on one disc here without making videos suffer significantly.

Roussow

The first Uncharted was my first next-gen game at the time after trading in my PS2 for my PS3 after months of saving back when I was like 11 or something. I loved it, I still love it, and I look forward to this remaster.

Uncharted 1 is still a great game in my eyes, it's just 2 and 3 are spectacular. However 1 had something I liked that wasn't present in the others. Because it wasn't globetrotting like the latter games, the world building on the island was really solid, you recognized landmarks you were heading to, and saw where you had been in the vistas. It felt like the first game had a really strong sense of place, not that the others didn't, but I really got attached to the first games environment -- it's something that 2013's Tomb Raider really nailed, albeit with new flourishes like a semi-open world.

Edit: and the first game had Eddy Fuckin' Raja

BreakAtmo

I was hugely skeptical about this with TLOU remaster as well. But they managed to compress the cutscenes in 1080p/60 to look less compressed than the cutscenes in PS3 TLOU, and still don't take any more space. Still, I have no idea how are they going to fit all three games on one disc here without making videos suffer significantly.

Actually The Last of Us Remastered takes up more space than the original PS3 version. It's about 40.6GB. By comparison, the PS3 version was about 27GB, plus about 5.2GB for Left Behind (there's also MP DLC but that's likely very little). While some of it is probably due to better assets, that's at least 5-6GB or so just from the higher-fidelity cutscenes. Multiply that by 3 games, and... balls.

Loxley

As someone who has never been the biggest Uncharted fan, it's a little bizarre to me just how much I'm interested in this collection.

dolabla

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

I didn't buy/play it in 2007 (although my friend kept recommending me to get in in 2007). I bought it sometime in early 2008 (still have my copy), which is basically before it got huge. I remember how blown away I was when I first played it.

I remember I told my friend how blown away I was and he just like "I told ya", lol. I've been hooked ever since.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Go here. https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

Motion-blur on 30fps content achieves smoother, more continuous motion.

60fps without motion blur already looks smooth and continuous. Motion-blur only smears the image.

To my eye, at least...
It's more of a cadence issue at 60fps. While 60 fills gaps better it's not high enough for our vision's natural motion blur to kick in which can sometimes cause it to look a bit sterile and unnatural. It's not an absolute necessity at 60fps like I think it is at 30 but it still adds to fluidity and given that Uncharted is going for a cinematic style, motion blur is integral to that approach.

Shredderi

The first Uncharted was my first next-gen game at the time after trading in my PS2 for my PS3 after months of saving back when I was like 11 or something. I loved it, I still love it, and I look forward to this remaster.

Uncharted 1 is still a great game in my eyes, it's just 2 and 3 are spectacular. However 1 had something I liked that wasn't present in the others. Because it wasn't globetrotting like the latter games, the world building on the island was really solid, you recognized landmarks you were heading to, and saw where you had been in the vistas. It felt like the first game had a really strong sense of place, not that the others didn't, but I really got attached to the first games environment -- it's something that 2013's Tomb Raider really nailed, albeit with new flourishes like a semi-open world.

Edit: and the first game had Eddy Fuckin' Raja

I fully agree with you. I really liked the sense of place of the drake's fortune and how it got kind of creepier when the sun was setting down.

That fireball looks like a tangerine with chickenpox.

On a side note, I don't think Uncharted DF will hold up nearly as good as the latter two games in the series. Any PS3 owners back in 2007 who originally played Uncharted? Not people who played it after U2 blew up.

Hell yeah, I was the midnight launch they did. ME and two other people. I was wearing a half-tucked Dethklok Baseball T. I love the first Uncharted and I'm looking forward to playing it again way more than 2.

tmac456

still own my ps3 and all of these games but this is gonna be DAY 1 for me

cannot wait. I think I can finally put my ps3 and boat load of games up for sale

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

If that is the issue they may just pull a MCC and have the other games or other assets download since the games need to be installed anyway.

It just will not seem to fit their original m/o because that would make an internet connection required to play the game (at least initially). If they do not fit on one, I could see Sony doing multiple BD-Roms.

mosdl

Am I the only one who will probably set it on the easiest difficulty and just replay them for fun and not worry about annoying bullet spongy supernatural enemies?

I'm gonna go on a limb and say 2 Discs (U1/U2 - Disc 1 and U3- Disc 2), though I really hope they could pull it all into one disc. Dat 1080p/60fps, texture and gameplay upgrades wont come cheap, they be crazy if they make cutscene 60fps too, no complains from there but that's gotta be lot of space.

I'm going to speak ass as well so pardon if I say anything ignorant, but won't all the games use relatively the same engine? So part of the data for one game is also used in the other two? Instead of straight up stacking all the data from all the games, some data is being shared.

stryke

I'm going to speak ass as well so pardon if I say anything ignorant, but won't all the games use relatively the same engine? So part of the data for one game is also used in the other two? Instead of straight up stacking all the data from all the games, some data is being shared.

It's assets like textures, animations, audio and movies that take up the most space.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Very good point as well.

It's assets like textures, animations, audio and movies that take up the most space.

A lot of that will be shared across all three games so there is no need for duplicating them. Hence why they are building all three for sharing those types of assets bringing them more in line with each other.

Persona7

Banned
As someone who has never been the biggest Uncharted fan, it's a little bizarre to me just how much I'm interested in this collection.

It is kind of the same for me. I didn't really like the first two games and I am pretty sure I experienced every single glitch in both of those games but I replayed them after 3 came out and started to appreciate the entire series.

I really want to get this collection.

I feel like the 'Uncharted 1 enemies are bullet sponges' thing has taken on a life of its own. They take four pistol shots to the chest and they're done. Later game enemies take five. It's Uncharted 2 and 3 that have the armour-clad enemies that soak up entire magazines worth of bullets (the huge guys in U2 take three direct RPG blasts). It's like the Will Smith 'Welcome to Urf' meme. Doesn't matter how many times people point out that he clearly enunciates 'Earth'; that ship has sailed :p

Not interested in an even harder difficulty mode (two hair-tearingly frustrating runs through Crushing to get my Platinums for 1 and 2 was enough for me, never bothered with 3), but I like hearing about gameplay tweaks. I wouldn't object to Uncharted 2's grenade mechanics being dropped straight into U1, for example.

BreakAtmo

I'm pretty sure that would require some major rebuilding given how they were all separate games to start with. I have never heard of it being done in a collection like this - the releases always seem to essentially be the same separate games. Of course the porting will mean they'll need to do some major rebuilding anyway, and they do mention the benefits of UC3 being rolled back into the earlier games which could maybe hint at this, but still, I think this would be a first if it did happen.

And as was said - the high-fidelity cutscenes would be responsible for a massive chunk of the space and wouldn't benefit from either of this. UC3's 720p30fps 2D cutscenes took up 13 GB all by themselves. If each game's cutscenes were re-rendered at 1080p60fps I can easily see them taking up 35-40GB of the disc all by themselves.

If that is the issue they may just pull a MCC and have the other games or other assets download since the games need to be installed anyway.

It just will not seem to fit their original m/o because that would make an internet connection required to play the game (at least initially). If they do not fit on one, I could see Sony doing multiple BD-Roms.

Both of these options are possible, but both would be kind of a shame. Re-jigging the cutscenes to be real-time like in MGS would both boot compression artifacting and make the games small enough to fit on the disc, but I imagine that would take an enormous amount of work.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Will the cutscenes also receive the Last of Us treatment and get re-rendered in 60FPS?

According to Wynnebeck yes they will

Great to hear. The 30fps cutscenes really stand out in in the god of war remaster

Let me elaborate before I get everyone's hopes up. The interview was with Emilia Schatz from Naughty Dog who was answering questions about U4. The Gamestop chick then asks Schatz about the Uncharted Collection who says something to the effect of, "It always nice going back and seeing the work you've done being redone like cutscenes being re-rendered and other improvements and personally I'm excited to play it." I can't remember the exact comment she made because unfortunately the interview is no longer being shown in store. She basically implies in the interview that Bluepoint Studios is indeed re-rendering cutscenes. Whether or not they are in 60fps? No idea. Hope that helps clarify.

BreakAtmo

Let me elaborate before I get everyone's hopes up. The interview was with Emilia Schatz from Naughty Dog who was answering questions about U4. The Gamestop chick then asks Schatz about the Uncharted Collection who says something to the effect of, "It always nice going back and seeing the work you've done being redone like cutscenes being re-rendered and other improvements and personally I'm excited to play it." I can't remember the exact comment she made because unfortunately the interview is no longer being shown in store. She basically implies in the interview that Bluepoint Studios is indeed re-rendering cutscenes. Whether or not they are in 60fps? No idea. Hope that helps clarify.

Well, if it's true that they're being re-rendered I imagine it would be in 60fps. The NDC will probably be very similar to TLOUR in terms of general design. They re-rendered TLOUR's cutscenes in 1080p60 because that's what the game ran at and they wanted consistency, now the Uncharteds will run in 1080p60 and... well, yeah. I've just been curious for ages if they might make the cutscenes real-time, so it would've been interesting had Schatz's comments pointed to that.

And thanks for the clarification.

stryke

Oh I remember that video. Here it is -

https://youtu.be/p55I0TdBkvc?t=2m29s

Roo

I'm pretty sure that would require some major rebuilding given how they were all separate games to start with. I have never heard of it being done in a collection like this - the releases always seem to essentially be the same separate games. Of course the porting will mean they'll need to do some major rebuilding anyway, and they do mention the benefits of UC3 being rolled back into the earlier games which could maybe hint at this, but still, I think this would be a first if it did happen.

And as was said - the high-fidelity cutscenes would be responsible for a massive chunk of the space and wouldn't benefit from either of this. UC3's 720p30fps 2D cutscenes took up 13 GB all by themselves. If each game's cutscenes were re-rendered at 1080p60fps I can easily see them taking up 35-40GB of the disc all by themselves.

Both of these options are possible, but both would be kind of a shame. Re-jigging the cutscenes to be real-time like in MGS would both boot compression artifacting and make the games small enough to fit on the disc, but I imagine that would take an enormous amount of work.
What's the size of the discs? 50GB?

What if they pull a Halo Collection where you have to download one of the games?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

What if they pull a Halo Collection where you have to download one of the games?

Currently the PS4 reads 25GB Single and 50GB Dual Layer.

They can possibly patch in a firmware update for it to read the BD-R 3.0 which is (100 and 128GB discs), since they did that with the FW update 1.60 on the PS3 (though I believe no game was ever released on that format, yet).

BreakAtmo

They likely will have to either do that or spread the collection across two discs. I wasn't saying those solutions were impossible - just expensive for Sony and ND if they go with the second disc and annoying for consumers either way.

stryke

They likely will have to either do that or spread the collection across two discs. I wasn't saying those solutions were impossible - just expensive for Sony and ND if they go with the second disc and annoying for consumers either way.

With the amount of people complaining about PSN speeds, a second disc is far less likely to be annoying.

I'd rather have a second disc than downloading a patch with PSN's awful download speeds.

BreakAtmo

With the amount of people complaining about PSN speeds, a second disc is far less likely to be annoying.

I just meant that having to install from 2 discs would be more annoying than installing from one. I completely agree that if they can't fit the game on one disc, 2 discs would be better than the MCC's shitty 'download the rest of the thing' solution. MCC should've gone with 2 discs, but they didn't because they didn't want to spend the money, and I wonder if Sony will do the same.

Of course, maybe the cutscenes will be re-rendered at 1080p60, the games will be all improved, the audio will be better, and they STILL all fit on one disc, and we will never find out how and it will just be assumed to be more Naughty Gods voodoo. :D

Top Bottom